So, who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Costello and The Imposters play Sydney, Jan 30 '13

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.noise11.com/news/elvis-coste ... y-20130129

Elvis Costello and the Imposters, Photo By Ros OGorman

Elvis Costello and The Imposters Put Support Into Slam Day

by Paul Cashmere on January 29, 2013

Elvis Costello and The Imposters have thrown their support behind the National Slam Day 2013.

Save Live Australia’s Music (SLAM) started in 2010 when the SLAM Rally swept through the streets of Melbourne raising awareness of the Victorian Liquor Licensing policies that were incorrectly linked to live music activity.

That first event led to the Live Music Agreement officially recognising that live music does not cause violence and a new law being introduced in the state of Victoria.

Now, SLAM Day has become a national event and has been dubbed “the Musician’s Christmas”.

“Elvis Costello and the Imposters are big supporters of live music,” SLAM’s Helen Marcou tells Noise11.com. “Steve Nieve even runs gigs out of his house in France and understands how important small gigs are to the eco-system of the music industry.”

SLAM is about bring together musicians, the fans and the music industry for that fragile eco-system. “Pull one part out and it all falls apart,” Helen explains.

“Artists use the small gig as a stepping-stone and Festivals use it as a breeding ground,” she says.

Elvis Costello and the Imposters gave their immediate support to SLAM. “Elvis supports Australian musicians and understands how important an independent body is from the government. He is such a revered songwriter and respected musician in the Australian community”.

National Slam Day will be February 23, 2013 in Australia.
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

johnfoyle wrote:So, who's going?
Yeah, i might go along for a look :roll:
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Excellent show!
Attachments
ecstatetheatreext.jpg
ecstatetheatreext.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 18358 times
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/386

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Sydney, Australia
January 30th, 2013

Overture - with terpsichorean styles of Ms. Kelly Kay Kelly

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with your hostess, Daisy Devotchka

"Beauty Or Beast" Jackpot - Spin 1

All This Useless Beauty
Monkey To Man

"King's Ransom" Jackpot - Spin 2

Indoor Fireworks
I Lost You

"Roses" - Spin 3

Song With Rose

"Cash" - Spin 4

Cry Cry Cry

"Time" Jackpot - Spin 5

Strict Time
Out Of Time

Less Than Zero - Spin 6

The Hammer Of Songs - Double Swing

Pump It Up
Long Honeymoon

Alison - Spin 7

I Hope - IMPROMPTU

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - IMPROMPTU

High Fidelity - IMPROMPTU

Oliver's Army - IMPROMPTU

Watching The Detectives - IMPROMPTU

"Time" Jackpot - Spin 8 (Deferred)

Beyond Belief

Chelsea - IMPROMPTU

Finale

"Joanna" Jackpot - Spin 9

She

Everyday I Write The Book

Accidents Will Happen - Napoleon's Spin

Man Out Of Time (Spin 8 honoured)

Peace, Love and Understanding
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/mu ... 6566057857

Elvis Costello keeps spinning the hits

by: IAIN SHEDDEN

The Australian
January 31, 2013 3:54PM

ELVIS Costello has rarely struggled in his endeavours to sell a song during his 37 years a performer. We've seen him in a variety of guises too, whether with his first band the Attractions, or solo, or crooning it up big time with Burt Bacharach or - as was the case here - indulging his rock 'n' roll chops with the Imposters.

This energetic and largely rewarding performance was as much a spruik as an outright sell. The spectacular spinning songbook is a giant wheel that takes up a third of the stage, adorned with song titles from the Costello catalogue. The idea is that instead of performing from a rigid set list, Costello, looking every bit the salesman in his hat and crumpled suit, beckons punters from the audience to the stage to spin the wheel.

Add a makeshift cage where said punters are encouraged to go-go dance to a great selection of songs and a first-rate band and you have a recipe for a fun night - and so it proved.

Costello's voice isn't quite as poweful and emotive as it once was, particularly on ballads such as She and All This Useless Beauty, but he still knows his way around a rock song. He came out firing with four that left you gasping for breath, opening with I Hope You're Happy Now and launching without announcement into Nick Lowe's Heart of the City, then his own early rocker Mystery Dance followed by the single Radio. Radio.
Digital Pass $1 for first 28 Days

The Imposters - former Attractions Pete Thomas on drums and Steve Nieve on keyboards, alongside bassist Davey Faragher - are as tight and loose as a great rock 'n' roll band should be.

Whether on Costello classics such as (I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea, Watching the Detectives and Oliver's Army or on the sprightly covers of the Rolling Stones' Out of Time, Johnny Cash's Cry Cry Cry and another Lowe gem that closed the show, (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding, the Imposters rocked the joint like it was their last gig, with their illustrious frontman indulging his Chuck Berry fantasies on guitar when he wasn't wandering the aisles looking for potential wheel of fortune constestants.

It was a show that could only have been bettered if they had kept the wheel spinning until every song on it had been sung.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/reviews/ ... ey-3012013

Andrew P Street

Thu 31st Jan, 2013

Note to all musicians: All setlists should be determined by spinning a massive wheel.

Reports from the Day on the Green shows have suggested that Elvis Costello & The Imposters were maybe not at the peak of their powers for their winery-based shows (word from the SA show was that the tipsy and indifferent band played a not-a-second-over 75-minute set and walked off stage) but from the second that Costello, drummer Pete Thomas, keysman Steve Nieve and bassist Davey Farragher took the State Theatre stage with a blistering ‘I Hope You’re Happy Now’ it was clear that they were in the mood to entertain. And well they should have been, since they were flanked by a bar area, a go-go cage, a strongman bell and – as alluded above – a fucking enormous wheel. Emblazoned on The Spectacular Spinning Songbook were song titles, keywords and album jackpots just waiting to be spun up by the audience members selected by their two lovely showgirl assistants.

Elvis was in full Beloved Entertainer mode, introducing himself by his Blood & Chocolate-era nom de plume Napoleon Dynamite and welcoming each of the wheel-spinning audience members on stage with game-show host charm, goading them into dancing in the go-go cage, advising them not to drink the blue drinks at the on-stage bar and even taking to the audience for a singalong version of the Stones’ ‘Out of Time’.

The thing is that, even with the wheel pulling up random songs, the set wasn’t all that different from what you’d expect from a regular Imposters show – especially once the band starting barreling to the finishing line with a bracket of hits’n’memories.

Those hoping for true obscurities got a few tastes – ‘Song with Rose’ (written for Roseanne Cash) was a standout, as was a gorgeous ‘All This Useless Beauty’ – but for the most part it was a setlist of old favourites. And that’s fine considering that it included things like ‘High Fidelity’, ‘Radio Radio’, ‘Mystery Dance’ and ‘Monkey to Man’ in the early running, with crowd pleasers like ‘Alison’, ‘(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea’, ‘Accidents Will Happen’, ‘Pump it Up’ and ‘Oliver’s Army’ taking us home, followed by a single encore set that packed in ‘Watching the Detectives’ and a night-ending ‘(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding’.

So yes, the wheel is a gimmick – but it’s a damn fine one, and it’s what elevated this show from good to great. Start fashioning your stage props now, heritage artists
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Comprehensive Blog account -

http://littlehouseofconcretemusic.blogs ... l?spref=fb

.......'cept for a Bruce instead of Pete mistake towards the end.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Ross Clelland from TheMusic.com.au

"ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS
STATE THEATRE
30 January, 2013

There’s an entertainer in a checkered suit, a jaunty hat and a flower in his lapel. There are go-go girls (in a cage!), an onstage bar and a bloody big chocolate wheel. No, it’s not Wednesday raffle night at the local RSL. This is Elvis Costello, embracing the showbiz, his back catalogue and even a number of members of the audience.

It’s the comfortable Costello show, with The Imposters an impossibly sharp band, two-thirds of them from when he was just a precocious musical talent sweeping in on the coattails of punk; even if drummer Pete Thomas now looks a little too like Jeremy Clarkson, down to the loud floral shirt. A short sharp shove of songs kick-started the evening: I Hope You’re Happy Now, Nick Lowe’s propulsive Heart Of The City and Mystery Dance and Radio Radio. How’s that for starters?

But the night’s conceit is audience participation: singles and couples plucked from the crowd to spin the musical wheel of 30-odd songs, then encouraged to dance along, have a gaudily coloured cocktail and/or propose to one another. Again, two out of three. The concept sputtered occasionally, whether on the random song that came up didn’t quite flow with what had gone before, or the personalities (or lack thereof) of the chosen public. So let’s just fall back on those tunes. The hits – Pump It Up, Alison, Oliver’s Army – offset with lesser knowns: the emotionally textured Indoor Fireworks or Long Honeymoon’s layered noir.

The wheel is eventually rigged – or ignored altogether – and masterpieces of various styles are extant. There’s an urgent take on High Fidelity. Elvis and Steve Nieve do the delicate She as just voice and piano – the once Declan McManus channelling his dad’s big-band crooning days. And if there’s a more definitive closing song than (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love & Understanding?, answers on the back of an envelope thanks.

It’s a concept where Costello grab-bags his own work, seemingly finally happy to love it all, when sometimes in the past he very obviously wasn’t. And most of us out front are happy to play whatever part he wants us to. Splendid entertainment."

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Are there any pictures of Kelly and Daisy?

Thanks for bringing this back up to the fore.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Bernard Zuel published in The Age, on 31 January 2013:

Keeping it wheel

Elvis Costello and the Imposters

State Theatre, January 30

Spin king: Elvis Costello and the Imposters, backed up by the "Spectacular Spinning Songbook".
Spin king: Elvis Costello and the Imposters, backed up by the "Spectacular Spinning Songbook".
2013-01-30 Sydney photo 01.JPG (109.59 KiB) Viewed 14705 times
"As tempting as it is to defer to giants such as Barnaby Joyce and Cory Bernardi, let's grant science its higher ground on global warming. Let's even concede that a crackpot parent or two on the hippie coast may not know more than decades of research and – sorry – facts, on immunisation.

But tell me this, oh wise lab coat-wearers: how is it that this normally-audience-participation-averse grouch got such a kick out of the way people selecting the next song by a turn of the spinning songbook were hamming it up in the go-go cage? Why did a song on that wheel, which isn't even one of Elvis Costello's best (Mouth Almighty), get me excited?

And most of all, explain to me this brainy boffins, how is it that I can't tell you for sure what I was doing this time last week and I dread being asked for my password every time I log on at the office but I can remember every word of Radio Radio, released in 1978; every syllable of the densely packed lyrics of Beyond Belief, released in 1982; and can without knowing I've thought about it, join in exactly when bassist/backing vocalist Davey Faragher comes in on Monkey to Man, released in 2004?

To be fair, even if the spinning wheel moments dragged on a bit, it's not like any of us were really spending much time pondering the imponderables for the two hours Elvis Costello, Pete Thomas, Faragher and Steve Nieve roistered and rollicked. Nor did we ask much when the Imposters rocked in the kind of show where regular nerdgasms (oh wow, Heart of the City; oh yes, Long Honeymoon; oh my, High Fidelity) left middle-aged men and women – and in more than a few cases, their young and very young children - hot and sweaty. And not just because the cold-phobic Costello seemingly had had the air conditioning set about five degrees hotter.

If the opening and finishing bursts of four songs done without pause didn't straighten out all your creases, then I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down would have finished the job. If a tender All This Useless Beauty didn't fully crack open adult romance then Indoor Fireworks would have split the difference.

Maybe George Pell is right after all, science doesn't have the answer and sometimes you just have to believe in a higher power. No, not God, silly; the songs."

MOOT