Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello, out Jan 27 2015

Post by Azmuda »

Seems there's a new tribute CD in the works:

http://www.facebook.com/CostelloTribute

Otis Westinghouse

Re: Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Interesting.

Who would care to place the setlist posted by the Smithereens member, veteran of many EC shows? Post Painted From Memory, but when?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'd say October 1999 with Steve tour...
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Very like this concert with SN in Seattle in May 1999:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 26_Seattle

MOOT
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Knew that would be an easy challenge. Actually the setlists for a few shows after the above have similar sets. It's interesting how many options are shown at different points and often only one is taken. I think it's fairly typical for a Costello setlist to only be an approximate guide to what gets paid. Any idea what the word top right says? It looks a bit like Galway!

I like the fact that Svero Jornacion is from Carteret, NJ, one of the few place names in NJ that link back to Old J in the shape of George Carteret:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carteret

Interesting that the town Elizabeth is named for his wife.

Growing up in (Old) Jersey, it was always odd that there was a state in the US where they called it Joisey, with no obvious reason behind the naming. I only became aware of the place Carteret about 10 years ago.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

The Popdudes recording Kinder Murder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8_e8DzGHQ
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

The Molly Pitchers : This Year's Girl (rough mix 91612)

http://soundcloud.com/the-molly-pitcher ... -rough-mix
rough mix of our cover of Elvis Costello's song This Year's Girl, which will be included on the Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello comp, proceeds of which to benefit the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.goldminemag.com/blogs/the-gr ... llo-tracks

by John M. Borack and Olivia Frain

“The Greatest Thing” – 20 Must-Hear Elvis Costello Tracks

April 2, 2013

John Borack

As co-producers of the upcoming tribute collection Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello, we are obviously dyed-in-the-wool Costello fanatics. Many a day has been spent burning up the phone lines discussing and spinning Elvis discs, with each of us interjecting a “Listen to this lyric!” or a “How does he DO that?” as we discuss the man’s extensive, varied and always entertaining back catalog. Whether it’s due to his sharp-tongued, witty wordplay, his emotive singing or his knack for penning unforgettable melodies – and more often than not, all three – it’s quite clear that Elvis Costello’s body of work proves him to be one of the greatest songwriters of our generation.

Arriving at our Elvis fanaticism from two very different points (Olivia initially dipping her toe into the water with 1994’s stellar Brutal Youth and working backwards, and John being a follower since the late ‘70s), it makes sense that our choices of must-hear Costello songs are similarly all-over-the-map. Note that what follows is not necessarily a list of the “best” or “greatest” Elvis Costello tunes, but rather a collection of 20 of our personal favorites that was damned near impossible to whittle down.

First, here are John’s ten choices, in no particular order:

“Beaten to the Punch” – Get Happy!! (1980)

1:47 of pure soulful sonic fury, led by Bruce Thomas’ hyper-melodic bass runs and Steve Nieve’s roller rink organ, which sit comfortably alongside Elvis’s “chew ‘em up and spit ‘em out” vocals. Like most of the other tunes on the ‘60s soul pastiche Get Happy!!, “Beaten to the Punch” was obviously inspired by, as Costello has claimed, “…a few drinks, a handful of old Stax singles and our copies of Motown Chartbusters, Vol. 3.” There’s more than a bit of punkish energy at play here, too; listen for Elvis’s frenzied screaming towards the end of the tune.

“Human Hands” – Imperial Bedroom (1982)

Only Elvis Costello would write something resembling a love song that includes the lines “Oh darling, how I miss you/ I’m just the mere shadow of my former selfishness” and “You know I love you more than slightly.” “Human Hands” is highlighted by some outstanding keyboard work from the aforementioned Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas’s stylish drumming and Bruce Thomas’s inventive bass work (check out his work on the third verse and prepare for the mind to be blown), with Geoff Emerick’s spacious production giving each instrument room to breathe.

“Tokyo Storm Warning” – Blood and Chocolate (1986)

Certainly one of the most unique songs in Costello’s catalog: it’s a long (6:21), winding, almost Dylanesque stream-of-consciousness tune that happens to rock like mad. Leading off with Pete Thomas’s pounding tom-toms and running through such obscure lyrical touchstones as dead Italian tourists’ bodies, a waitress named Teresa now known as Juanita, and “Japanese Jesus robots telling teenage fortunes,” it’s not unlike the musical equivalent of a crazy funhouse ride. As a bonus, said funhouse ride includes a nice little Costello guitar solo that sounds like it leapt straight off the Beatles’ Revolver. Why a song this…well, this strange…was released as a single remains a relative mystery, but it did manage to scrape its way to number 73 on the UK charts.

“Kinder Murder” – Brutal Youth (1994)

A sinister tale of rape with some typically vivid lyrical imagery (“Jimmy took her down to the perimeter fence/he was back in half an hour, he said he left her senseless”), sung over a relatively sparse backing of a double-tracked electric guitar, bass and drums (Pete Thomas on the skins, Costello on everything else). The biting guitar sound and the snapping snare drum are both very “in-your-face,” helping to put across chilling lyrics such as “She could have kept her knees together/should have kept her mouth shut.”

“She” – Notting Hill Original Soundtrack (1999)

A glorious version of the Charles Aznavour ballad, recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra (and also featuring former Humble Pie member Clem Clempson on guitar), “She” is no doubt the loveliest cover tune Costello has ever committed to tape. His lead vocal exudes just the proper amount of passion, longing and regret without ever turning into schmaltz. It’s certainly a long way from the angry young man of “Radio Radio,” but it proves yet again that Costello can succeed in a variety of genres. Others have attempted this tune – most recently Jeff Lynne on 2012’s Long Wave – but Costello’s heartfelt rendition is the definitive reading.

“Really Mystified” – Sometimes a Great Notion (1984)

Another cover from Costello (this time backed by the Attractions), which first saw release on 1984’s Sometimes A Great Notion benefit LP for the British Deaf Association. It would eventually show up on the 1994 and 2002 reissues of Imperial Bedroom on Rykodisc and Rhino, respectively, and it’s a straightforward reading of the Merseybeats’ 1965 beat music nugget. Costello and the gang sound as if they’re having a ball here and “Really Mystified” again showcases EC as an ace interpreter. Interesting note: Costello and the Attractions covered another tune the Merseybeats recorded in 1965, as “I Stand Accused” was released on Get Happy!!

“(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes” – My Aim is True (1977)

A clarion call that helped open the floodgates for what would become known as “new wave,” the poppy “Red Shoes” was one of the clear highlights from Costello’s debut record and has endured as one of his signature songs. The opening line, “Oh, I used to be disgusted/ and now I try to be amused” could conveniently serve as Costello’s epitaph, and it assisted in establishing his early persona as a nerdy smart aleck. Of course, “I said ‘I’m so happy, I could die.’ She said ‘Drop dead,’ then left with another guy” is just as pointed and even more identifiable as a Costello lament. A true classic.

“From A Whisper to a Scream” – Trust (1981)

A maddeningly catchy little power pop number that finds Costello dueting with Squeeze’s Glenn Tilbrook, with fantastic results. Costello’s vocal is passionate, the Attractions’ backing is rock solid as usual, and the honey-voiced Tilbrook provides the perfect vocal counterpoint. Released as a single, it inexplicably failed to chart in the UK, although it did receive a fair bit of radio airplay in the US.

“Poor Napoleon” – Blood and Chocolate (1986)

“I can’t lie on this bed anymore, it burns my skin/you can take the truthful things you’ve said to me/and fit them on the head of a pin.” That typical lyrical left hook leads off “Poor Napoleon,” but the tune itself is a different animal; it’s a slightly psychedelic-swirled, Phil Spector-ish confection with tons of echo, some white noise-like weirdness going on after the bridge, and Costello’s then-wife Cait O’Riordan randomly intoning the song’s title a few times. Still, it’s hypnotically catchy and is also notable for a top-notch vocal performance from Costello. And then there’s this: “Bare wires from the socket to the bed where you embrace that girl/did you ever think there’s far too many people in the world?” Wow…

“New Amsterdam” – Get Happy!! (1980)

The only number on Get Happy!! to not include instrumental backing by the Attractions, Costello recorded this charming ditty all by his lonesome in a London demo studio. The pretty melody attempts to mask some devastating lyrical couplets – “You’re sending me tulips mistaken for lilies/you give me your lip after punching me silly” and “Twice shy and dog tired because you’ve been bitten/everything you say now sounds like it was ghost-written” among them – but the overall vibe ends up being both nostalgic and sad.

Olivia’s ten, again in no particular order:

“Rocking Horse Road” – Brutal Youth (1994)

If Brutal Youth can be seen as a musical theme park, with each song a non-stop roller coaster of hooks and melodies, then “Rocking Horse Road” masquerades as a relatively calm, smooth ride, with a sudden, unexpected 65-foot drop towards the end causing your heart to race. Initially, the quiet drums and sensitive vocals coax the listener into a feeling of comfort and security, but gradually the song picks up speed as added vocal layers are stacked upon more intense guitar riffs until the whole thing bursts into a musical climax of exploding drums and a wailing organ that makes your stomach fly into your chest. Such a satisfying adrenaline rush should come with a warning label.

“The Delivery Man” – The Delivery Man (2004)

I’ve always been a sucker for what I call “story songs” such as this one; Elvis’s demand attention and have a way of drawing me in closer to the music. This title track from the EC and the Imposters’ 2004 release is an intriguing tale of two women in small-town America who are captivated by the local delivery man who “looks like Elvis” and “seems like Jesus.” An unexpected liaison catches the scandalmongers by surprise in this five-minute musical soap opera. You’ll come for the bluesy guitar hooks and sharp-tongued melody, but you’ll stay for the lyrical drama and titillation.

“My Mood Swings” – The Big Lebowski: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1998)

It seems a shame that this rough-edged rocker wasn’t released on an Elvis album proper until last year’s In Motion Pictures collection; it’s one of the catchiest, hookiest songs he’s ever recorded. In just over two minutes, the song punches you with Marc Ribot’s jaunty guitar work, Elvis’s skillful, sultry tenor voice, and bass slides that’d fit perfectly in a ‘60s surf song. What’s not to love?

“The Other Side of Summer” – Mighty Like a Rose (1991)

If anyone can make a song about drugs, poverty and madness sound like musical sunshine, it’s Elvis Costello. The catchy chorus and sweet, infectious background vocals belie the fact that the song is about all those nasty things in the city that are best left unspoken when you’re having summertime fun. Steve Nieve’s carousel-like organ work is hypnotic, while Costello’s vocal melody is an instant pop earworm. It’s a toe-tapping, head-bobbing good time, but the lyrics reiterate that “there’s malice and there’s magic in every season.”

“American Gangster Time” – Momofuku (2008)

Costello has explained that the Momofuku album took such little time to slap together that it’s named after the guy who created Ramen noodles (just add water!). One listen to “American Gangster Time” and it’s evident that he and the Imposters wanted to revert to straightforward rock ‘n’ roll; the track sounds like a guitar-heavy cut from the early Attractions days, laden with Nieve’s Vox organ and a disregard for any sort of proper vocal technique on Costello’s part. The lyrics might offend the more patriotic listener, but when has Elvis not been at least slightly controversial?

“Five Small Words” – National Ransom (2010)

This song sounds like riding down a country road with the windows down on a summer day. The driving drum beat and echoing, guttural guitar sound give this song a country- rock feel that this Englishman pulls off surprisingly effortlessly. Mike Compton (the Nashville Bluegrass Band) provides intricate harmonies on lyrics about a forgotten lover confusedly crying five-word phrases: “Don’t you love me anymore?” “Baby, please don’t leave me.” “Why don’t you believe me?” “Why did you deceive me?”

“The Greatest Thing” – Punch the Clock (1983)

A funky, horn-infused tribute to the (lack of) sanctity of marriage, this song is filled with harsh wit and, conversely, an incredibly poppy melody. The TKO Horns were all over Punch the Clock, giving it a distinctive sound that may have turned some fans away, but this song more than holds its own with Pete Thomas’s Bo Diddley-ish drum beat and Bruce Thomas’s quirky bass line. If it doesn’t make you move at least a little, you just might be a zombie.

“Let Him Dangle” – Spike (1989)

Based on the tragic story of Derek Bentley, a teen wrongly hanged for the murder of an English police officer, this is one of Costello’s few “protest” songs. The minor key of the song and Benmont Tench’s plodding piano progressions combine with Elvis’s hauntingly enraged vocals to invoke passion and justice-fueled emotion. Marc Ribot’s jagged guitar solo comes at an instant when it matches the fiery passion that has built over the course of the song. Also, the musical credits denote that an Oldsmobile hubcap was played; as usual, Elvis’s creativity goes unmatched.

“Crimes of Paris” – Blood & Chocolate (1986)

Blood & Chocolate brought the music world a reunion of the Attractions, and what a reunion it was; the album as a whole is incredibly diverse and overflowing with musical genius. “Crimes of Paris” has another stick-in-your-head-all-day chorus with sing-song vocals, a McCartney-esque melody, and Cait O’Riordan lending a sweetness rarely found on Elvis’s albums via her background vocals. Lyrical gems are scattered throughout the album, including a favorite from this song: “She’s so convenient/he’s always stiff as hair lacquer.”

“God Give Me Strength” – Painted From Memory (1998)

To borrow a comment from my collaborative partner in this project, “it’s like listening to someone cry.” Re-released in 2012 on the In Motion Pictures compilation, this song was written with fellow musical genius, Burt Bacharach. The stylings of Bacharach can be heard in the flowing, ‘60s-like horn and string arrangements, while the lyrics are clearly Costello’s: “Maybe I was washed out like a lip print on a shirt/See I’m only human, I want him to hurt.” To drive home the intensely personal lyrics, Elvis delivers heart-melting whispers of falsetto as well as intense cries of pain. Side note: we were both nearly moved to tears when we saw him perform a version of this one live in Los Angeles in 2010; Costello strolled through the audience as he sang, giving everyone a front row seat to his incredible raw talent.

Olivia Frain and John M. Borack serve as co-producers for the upcoming collection Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello, due to be released on Futureman Records in 2013.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

“God Give Me Strength” – Painted From Memory (1998)

Side note: we were both nearly moved to tears when we saw him perform a version of this one live in Los Angeles in 2010; Costello strolled through the audience as he sang, giving everyone a front row seat to his incredible raw talent.
A great moment on the Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook DVD.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just a b surprised to think such fans didn't realise it was Mitchell Froom and Larry KneChtel who played keys on MLAR
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Tracklist announced:
https://www.facebook.com/CostelloTribute

There will be 50 tracks on "Beyond Belief"

"Almost Blue" - Nick Heyward & 13 Satellites
"Accidents Will Happen" - Throwback Suburbia
"I Hope You're Happy Now" - Severo
New Amsterdam" - Parallax Project
"Radio Radio" - Tim Cullen
"London's Brilliant Parade" - Corin Ashley
"Watching the Detectives" - Debora Iyall Group
"Blame It On Cain" - Jamie Hoover & Steve Stoeckel
"Everyday I Write the Book" - Gameface
"Pump It Up" - The Rubinoos

"No Action" - Chris Richards and the Subtractions
"Mystery Dance" - sparkle*jets UK
"Daddy Can I Turn This?" - A Fragile Tomorrow
"So Like Candy" - Paul Myers
"(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" - The Stars Explode
"Night Rally" - The Smith Bros.
"The Other End of the Telescope" - Butch Walker
"Monkey to Man" - Kelley Ryan
"Green Shirt" - Scott Bennett
"Kinder Murder" - Popdudes

"Uncomplicated" - Walter Clevenger and the Dairy Kings
"Possession" - Barry Holdship
"Man Out of Time" - Bill Lloyd
"Girls Talk" - Rob Smith
"This Year's Girl" - The Molly Pitchers
"God's Comic" - Robbie Rist
"Welcome to the Working Week" - Ron Flynt
"Deep Dark Truthful Mirror" - Gail George
"Strict Time" - The Anderson Council
"Riot Act" - Brandon Schott

"Sleep of the Just" - Steve Kobashigawa
"Indoor Fireworks" - Doug Davis
"Veronica" - David Myhr
"God Give Me Strength" - Mike Viola
"No Hiding Place" - Michael Carpenter
"Beyond Belief" - Nelson Bragg and Ken Cleveland
"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" - The Klank
"Tokyo Storm Warning" - Fireking
"Blue Chair" - Bart Mendoza & True Stories
"Little Triggers" - Cloud Eleven

"From a Whisper to a Scream" - The Tickets
"The Only Flame in Town" - Frank Royster
"Brilliant Mistake" - Dennis Schocket & Cliff Hillis
"Alison" - Matthew Sweet
"High Fidelity" - Kurt Baker
"Radio Sweetheart" - Lannie Flowers
"My Little Blue Window" - Johnny Monaco
"Doll Revolution" - Hans Rotenberry
"Big Sister's Clothes" - Matt Brown
"Crimes of Paris" - An American Underdog
migdd

Post by migdd »

Red Shoes, as interpreted by The Klank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWbE1-y3iM8
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toYDs_kf810

Kelley Ryan "Monkey To Man"

My contribution to "Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello" proceeds going to support The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation.

http://coverlaydown.com/2013/06/new-art ... revisited/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd9Wv2RY ... e=youtu.be

Gail George - Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Olivia Frain posts on facebook -

Big news!! Beyond Belief, the Elvis Costello tribute project John and I have been working on for over two years, is finally here!! Putting out a record is a lot of work. Thanks to the countless people and artists who helped us make this a reality. We couldn't be happier. Look for it at an online retailer near you on January 27th!

http://spyderpop.com/artists/various-be ... o-tribute/
johnfoyle

Re: Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello, out Jan 27 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello post to Facebook

We promised you a January 27 release date and---despite some glitches with Amazon and CD Baby---Spyderpop Records has delivered!
You can get your CD copy of "Beyond Belief" NOW by clicking on the "Buy CD Here" button at the link below. (Digital only sales will be happening very soon.) Please note that due to licensing and distribution issues, we are only able to sell the CD in the United States at this time; stay tuned to this page for updates on when the disc will be available overseas. We hope you will enjoy the music!

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello post to Facebook

We promised you a January 27 release date and---despite some glitches with Amazon and CD Baby---Spyderpop Records has delivered!
You can get your CD copy of "Beyond Belief" NOW by clicking on the "Buy CD Here" button at the link below. (Digital only sales will be happening very soon.) Please note that due to licensing and distribution issues, we are only able to sell the CD in the United States at this time; stay tuned to this page for updates on when the disc will be available overseas. We hope you will enjoy the music!

The ebay link -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyond-Belief-A ... 35e462140a
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello -

Happy to announce that "Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello" is now available via CD Baby in both CD and digital formats, and you can now listen to clips of each of the 50 songs at the site as well. Remember, 100% of the profits will go to the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation and help put musical instruments into the hands of children in underserved areas, so you know your money is going towards a great cause. Check out the link below and get your copy today!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/beyondbeliefatributetoel
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/HollandsOpusFdn/sta ... 4760846336

Mr. Holland's Opus ‏@HollandsOpusFdn Jul 15

We're thrilled with the success of Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello. Album proceeds benefit #mhopus.

I really must give this thing more of a listen. My copy arrived just as I was starting to renovate the room with my music collection & I didn't have anything to play it on for a while. I enjoyed the few distracted listens I heard at work. Then it kind of got lost in a rush of other music releases & other distractions.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John Borack of Fountain Valley holds up a tribute CD to Elvis Costello that he co-produced. The album project, which he began working on in early 2012, includes 50 songs by 50 artists. (Kevin Chang / HB Independent / September 4, 2015)

http://www.hbindependent.com/entertainm ... ,0,5694588.

Local producer's Elvis Costello tribute album will help tune up school music program

By Brittany Woolsey
September 10, 2015

A Fountain Valley resident combined his love for a particular musician and his connections in the music industry to help young music students.

John Borack said he has been a fan of Elvis Costello since the 1970s, and after one of the rock star's concerts in 2012, he decided it was time to share that passion with the world.

Borack, who has worked in music journalism and plays drums for local band the Popdudes, produced a tribute album to the band Shoes in 2001 and a tribute to 1960s and '70s pop music in 2002.

He and Olivia Frain, a television producer who lives in Florida, teamed to produce "Beyond Belief," which boasts 50 Costello tracks covered by artists who donated their time.

"I told Olivia, 'You know, someone should do a tribute album to Elvis Costello, because there hasn't really been a good one," Borack said. "We decided to do one because we are both involved in the music industry to varying degrees."

All proceeds from the three-disc compilation will benefit the Studio City-based Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation, which provides musical instruments to grade schools in needy areas. It is named after a 1995 film about a high school music teacher who aspires to compose a great piece of music.

"That was something we both felt strongly about," Borack said. "We wanted the proceeds to go to a music nonprofit organization because you see so many school music programs going under these days. A lot of the arts are kind of going away from grade schools, and Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation is a great organization."

Felice Mancini, the foundation's president and chief executive, said the money raised from "Beyond Belief" will aid a school music program in Orange County that Borack and Frain will choose this year.

"It's wonderful that people like John support our work to keep music alive in schools," said Mancini, daughter of late composer Henry Mancini. "To know that John and his team created such a successful project on our behalf is gratifying. We expect that many kids will now have access to instruments that wouldn't have without the proceeds from the CD."

The album, which can be purchased on Amazon.com, has raised more than $5,000 for the foundation since its release in January.

After earning the rights to Costello's songs and receiving the singer's blessing, Borack and Frain reached out to musicians they had met.

Artists on the compilation by SpyderPop Records include Butch Walker, Matthew Sweet and Mike Viola.

Borack said he and Frain haven't gotten a response from Costello since "Beyond Belief" came out, but they have sent him several copies.

"I see there's a great need for assistance in a lot of different areas, and this seemed like this could be a way that we could combine our love for music and Elvis Costello for good use to raise funds for a really worthy organization," said Borack, who is on the boards of several area nonprofits, including the Fountain Valley Educational Foundation.

"It's a great feeling knowing something you had a hand in producing is going to help people in a tangible way that you can see. We'll get photos of these kids with the instruments and see how we've assisted them. That makes me smile."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cost ... music.html

Photos for Nick Agro

His aim is true: Local’s tribute to pop pioneer Elvis Costello gives kids gift of music

Sept. 29, 2015

BY SUSAN CHRISTIAN GOULDING / STAFF WRITER

Fountain Valley, safe to say, is rarely associated with rock ‘n’ roll culture. So it may come as a surprise that this quintessential bedroom community gave birth to an Elvis Costello album.

Never mind that Costello himself barely participated in the eponymous creation, “Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello.” Via an intermediary, the revered Brit bestowed his blessing from the other side of the pond.

Despite these degrees of separation, however, Fountain Valley can take credit for the longtime local who orchestrated the CD set – which has raised thousands for Mr. Holland’s Opus, an organization that provides instruments to underfunded school music programs.

John Borack and friend Olivia Frain, who share a passion for music, happened upon their brainstorm while chatting on the phone.

“We were talking about how no one had ever made a good Elvis Costello tribute album,” recalled Borack, an avid fan of the poetic songwriter since boyhood. “We said, ‘Why not us?’”

Both musicians with jobs in broadcasting, the two decided to use their connections to co-produce a compilation of Costello songs covered by respected independent bands.

They worked on instinct more than strategy. “We didn’t go into this as businesspeople trying to make money off it,” said Borack, general manager of Public Cable Television Authority.

They were well into rounding up musicians – who quickly got busy recording – before they’d even requested Costello’s permission.

“Suddenly it was like, oh, OK, guess we should do that,” Borack said.

Fortunately, Costello’s management reported back that he “was aware and supportive of” the proposed (yet already underway) charity project. Then Borack panicked again when he realized that others, including Paul McCartney, had co-written a handful of the songs with Costello.

“I thought Paul would be the hardest to reach, but his was the first approval we got,” Borack said. “I’m glad I started out blissfully ignorant. Otherwise, I would have just assumed licensing fees were unaffordable.”

What was supposed to be one disc multiplied to two and then to three – totaling 50 songs eagerly performed by 50 bands, free of charge.

“We finally just had to stop, but we easily could have done three more CDs,” Borack said.

“We felt bad turning musicians away,” said Frain, a television news producer in Ft. Myers, Fla.

Released earlier this year by Texas-based label SpyderPop Records, the end result is a polished presentation of Costello’s impressive repertoire – from ballads such as “Alison” to power-pop songs like “Pump It Up.” Every cut sounds is constructed with care.

Borack, 53, discovered Costello – and the Beatles and lots of other great artists – as a kid growing up in Hacienda Heights.

Today he scratches his musical itch by playing drums in his band Popdudes, which performs in pubs and other small venues. The indefatigable enthusiast also freelances for a music magazine and authors books – most recently, “John Lennon: Life Is What Happens.”

“He goes into his man cave – usually from midnight to about 3 in the morning when no one, not even the dogs, will bother him,” said wife Christy Borack, who heads the transportation program at the Fountain Valley Senior Center.

Her husband practices drumming, writes and enjoys music in that cozy man cave – tacked on to the kitchen after the second of their two children came along.

Ironically, Christy Borack has not even listened to the Elvis Costello tribute.

“I’ve never really been into music,” she said. “I just let him go with his various projects. But I love that this one helps schools.”

In July, Borack presented a check for $5,000 to the Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation in Studio City.

“We were thoroughly delighted that the (Costello) project was a success,” said Felice Mancini, president of Mr. Holland’s Opus (and daughter of late composer Henry Mancini). “We plan to use the funds to donate instruments to a low-income school in Orange County. Music can be the spark that keeps kids in school.”

Rave reviews from the honoree have yet to materialize.

“I went to Texas to see Elvis in concert and gave a copy to his bass player backstage, but I never heard back,” Borack said. “I have no way of knowing if he’s listened to it.”

Costello’s manager did not respond to interview requests for this story.

So Borack and Frain can only hope that their idol appreciates and applauds the massive anthology.

“It would be a dream come true to get a letter from him telling us how much he loves the tribute,” Frain said.

Even if that never happens, Borack feels certain the collection does Costello’s work justice.

“Elvis Costello is one of the greatest songwriters of our generation,” he said. “From his lyrics to his melodies to his different styles – rock ‘n’ roll, blues, country, classical – everything he does, he does well.”
buzz

Post by buzz »

I don't like mysteries when it comes to EC releases so, can anyone tell me what the neon orange and blue CD sleeve contains, in front of TYM? Not something I've come across before. Thanks.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Scroll down to March 22 & vote for a cover of Pump It Up in this poll.

http://undergroundgarage.com/radio-show ... -2015.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.facebook.com/TheMrHollandsOpusFoundation/

Last summer, John Borack, producer of Beyond Belief: A Tribute to Elvis Costello, donated $5,000 from CD proceeds to support a So Cal school - Greenfield Middle School in El Cajon was selected for their outstanding music program.
Last week John and contributing artist Bart Mendoza met the students and music teacher, Joan Knoernschild. Read more about their visit here: https://www.facebook.com/CostelloTribut ... 8140949968