Rotterdam review/preview?

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Rotterdam review/preview?

Post by johnfoyle »

Translation please!

http://www.rotterdamsdagblad.nl/

(Nice pic. with this - J.F.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dinsdag 14 Oktober 2003

Costello in zijn sas als naakte stemacrobaat

Door Louis Du Moulin

Elvis Costello zet, voorafgaand aan zijn optreden in de Doelen, zijn handen in het beton ten behoeve van een eigen tegel op de Walk Of Fame. (Foto Rob Verhorst)

Rotterdam - Met zijn jongste album 'North' doet Elvis Costello allesbehalve aan goedkope klantenbinding. Vanuit het diepst van zijn ziel gepeurd kronkelt de Britse popveteraan (49) er twaalf nummers lang sober, maar ook nogal eens geforceerd op los. Tegenover dat minder gunstige voorteken voor zijn concertvisite stond gisteravond in de (wellicht daarom niet uitverkochte) Doelen een even vlot als vlammend optreden dat alle uitgerukte fans nog lang zal heugen.

Costello (geboren Declan Patrick McManus) bouwde vanaf de tweede helft van de jaren zeventig zijn achterban op als boze jonge gitaarrocker en nog altijd hoort menigeen hem eigenlijk het liefst in die rol. Zelf echter geeft hij alweer pakweg vijftien jaar de voorkeur aan avonturieren. Met als directe uitkomsten opzienbarende combines met onder anderen Paul McCartney, het Brodsky Quartet, Burt Bacharach en Anne Sofie von Otter, maar in het verlengde daarvan evenzeer een betere en veelzijdiger zingende Elvis.

Zijn rentree in de Doelen, backstage voorafgegaan door het 'handje drukken' in het beton voor de Walk Of Fame, stond dan ook in belangrijke mate in het teken van het etaleren van zijn toegenomen stembeheersing. Waarbij Costello zich soms demonstratief naast de microfoon opstelde en zijn enige begeleider 'Professor' Steve Nieve (op pianist en mondorgel) niet al teveel ruimte kreeg tot 'showen'. Deze weer eens gerecruteerde oudgediende (al van de partij op Elvis' debuutalbum 'My Aim Is True') mocht dik twee uur lang vooral de aanvullende accenten plaatsen bij de 'naakte' vocale acrobatiek van zijn kopman, die merkbaar in zijn sas was met (ook) de warme ontvangst van zijn verse repertoire.

'Extra tijd'
Hoe geweldig Nieve zich van zijn dienende taak had gekweten en hoe fraai de balans was geweest tussen zijn puntige toetsenspel en Costello's vaak slepende zang, werd nog eens duidelijk in de 'extra tijd': het gesoleer van de zanger achter de vleugel (middels onder meer 'Still Miss Someone' als ode aan de verder niet genoemde Johnny Cash) was plotseling een stuk minder spannend. Gelukkig kwam Nieve voor het echte afscheid nog even terug, waarna 'Almost Blue' (één van de vele archiefstukken uit de jaren tachtig) gezamenlijk nog even tot een frivool kunstwerkje werd verheven en Costello de komiek in hem eindelijk los liet door de zaal tot een laatste partijtje meezingen aan te zetten.

Elvis Costello in de Doelen. Met Elvis Costello (zang, gitaar, piano) en Steve Nieve (piano, mondorgel). Bijgewoond: gisteravond. Herhaling: vanavond in de Pepsi Stage, Amsterdam.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Pick the bones out of this:

Costello in its hopper as naked voice acrobat

By Louis Du Moulin

Elvis Costello put, before its action in the aims, are hands in
concrete for their own flag on the Walk or Fame. (Photograph rob
Verhorst)

Rotterdam - with its youngest album ' North ' Elvis Costello
allesbehalve do to cheap customer tie. From deepest of its soul wormed
twists the British headstock veteran (49) numbers there twelve long
sober, but also often forced on separately. Compared with that less
favourable omen for its concertvisite stood yesterday evening in
(possibly for this reason not sold off) the aims just as go smoothly
as flaming act that all turned out fans will be remembered still long.

Costello (born Declan Patrick McManus) built as from second half of
the years seventy its supporters if boze hears young gitaarrocker and
still always menigeen him in fact kindest which role. Itself however
prefers he again pakweg to fifteen years adventurers. With as direct
outcomes resounding combines with others Paul McCartney, the Brodsky
Quartet, Burt Bacharach and Anne Sofie von otter, but in the extension
of it likewise better and multier-purpose singing Elvis.

Rentree in the aims, backstage by the ' hand has preceded presses ' in
the concrete for the Walk or Fame, stood thus increased in important
degree dominated by displaying its voice control. Where Costello
established themselves sometimes demonstratively beside the microphone
and are not only speculator ' professor ' Steve Nieve (on pianist and
mouth organ) already too much space got to ' shows '. This oudgediende
again recruitted (already of the party on Elvis ' debuutalbum ' My Aim
is True ') could thick two hours long especially the additional
priorities place at ' the naked vocal acrobatics of its head man, who
was noticeably in its hopper with (also) the warm reception of its
fresh repertoire.

' extra time ' how terrible Nieve had acquitted oneself themselves of
its serving task and how fraai the assessment had been between its
sharp test game and Costello's frequently dragging song, became still
once clearly in the ' extra time ': the gesoleer of the zanger behind
the wing (by means of among others ' Still miss Someone ' if ode to
the further not called Johnny cash) were suddenly a piece less
stretching. Fortunately Nieve for the real farewell returned still
just as, whereupon ' Almost Blue ' (one of the vele documents from the
years eighty) jointly still even to a frivool art opuscule were raised
and Costello at last loose left the komiek in him by the room to a
last party sing along to incite.

Elvis Costello in the aims. With Elvis Costello (song, jet ear, piano)
and Steve Nieve (piano, mouth organ). Attended: yesterday evening.
Recurrence: vanavond in the Pepsi training period, Amsterdam.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

RTHTW - Methinks you have too much time on your hands.
signed with love and vicious kisses
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Agreed, it's been a tad too quiet around here today.
frank

Post by frank »

I do my best. I'm at work at the moment, so I don't have much time. Hope my boss doens't read this.

Here it goes:

Costello at his best as a ‘voice-acrobat’

By Louis Du Moulin.

Before the gig in ‘Ter Doelen’, Costello put his hands in concrete to have his own little piece in ‘The Walk of Fame’

Rotterdam – Elvis Costello doesn’t make it easy for his ‘customers’ with his latest album ‘North’. Out of the deepest corners of of his soul, the British pop’veteran’ (49) sings quite sober during the 12 songs, but sometimes also a bit boring. Probably, this is the reason why the venue wasn’t sold-out completely ; but on the other hand, he gave a gig, sometimes smooth, sometimes flaming, that the fans will remember for a long time.

Costello (born Declan Patrick Mc Manus) built his career, from the second half of the seventies, as a angry young guitar rocker and still many people prefer him that way. However, the last fifteen years, he prefers the adventure. This results in very ‘special’ collaborations with, among others, Paul Mc Cartny, the Brodsky Quartet, Burt Bacharach and Anne Sofie von Otter. The output of these collaborations is however a better singing Elvis.

His show in ‘The Doelen’, after he ‘put’ his hands in the concrete of the Walk of Fame, was focussed a lot on his improved ‘voice control’. Sometimes Costello stood next to the microphone, and his only ‘assistant’ – professor Steve Nieve’- didn’t had to much space to do his own thing. This again recruited old-fellow (sic – frank) ( he also played on Elvis’ debut ‘My aim is true (wrong again – frank)) placed additional accents, during the 2 hour set , by the vocal gymnastics of his ‘leader’, who was obviously happy with the warm welcome of his new repertoire.

‘Extra-time’

During the ‘extra-time’, it became clear how wonderful the balance was between Costello’s often ‘dragging’ singing en Steve’s edgy playing: when the singer took place behind the piano (he sang ‘Still miss someone’ – an ode to Johnny Cash), it was less trilling. Happily, Nieve came back at the ending, and together they performed ‘Almost Blue’ (from the archives of the eighties) as a real work of art. Costello was quite comical when he let the audience do a sing a long at the ending

I must admit RTHTW, I prefer your translation.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

frank wrote:I must admit RTHTW, I prefer your translation.
kind words frank, but I cheated and used a machine !
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

Costello in its hopper as naked voice acrobat

Nothing quite like an altavista translation. Way better than the other one :)

Hey, all these reviews sound the same. Where else can I find reference to a "multier-purpose singing Elvis"?

He slices, he dices...
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

RTHTW - what were you smoking when you translated it? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?