2013 Australian Tour

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

2013 Australian Tour

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis Costello & The Imposters - 2013 Australian Tour

Special guests Sunnyboys join five-band bill for Winery shows.

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook for theatres.

Australia continues its lengthy love affair with Elvis Costello when the acclaimed singer-songwriter returns in January 2013 for a national tour.

In keeping with the exuberant musicality that has defined his three decade plus career, Costello has some tasty treats in store for both a day on the green shows (a reprise from his 2004 a day on the green tour) and two special theatre performances in Melbourne and Sydney.

For the winery concerts, the unabashed showman backed by the trusty Imposters – keyboardist Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher - will take audiences through the Costello musical encyclopaedia refresher course with a selection of classic hits. His outstanding musical pedigree has inspired promoters to assemble one of the finest damn line-ups in a day on the green history.

Check this out! In a massive coup, the truly legendary original line-up of Sunnyboys will return to the stage for their first national tour in more than 20 years! Joe Camilleri will re-assemble the mighty Jo Jo Zep & the Falcons, the enigmatic Tex Perkins takes the saddle again with the Dark Horses while Sports ex-frontman, Stephen Cummings will make a rare concert appearance.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters, Sunnyboys, Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons, Tex Perkins & The Dark Horses and Stephen Cummings ....... salivate indeed, for this eclectic bill promises to be one of the musical highlights of the summer.

Mr Costello has another delight in store for fans at the two theatre performances. For the past year or so, he has been travelling around the world with a gigantic vaudevillian game-show Wheel as the centrepiece of a show called ‘The Spectacular Spinning Songbook”. At each concert fans are invited on stage to spin the Wheel, thereby creating the night’s set list from 40 selections including hits, rarities and a few surprises. The stage set also includes a go-go cage and “Society Lounge”.

First seen in 1986 and beloved by Elvis fans around the globe, the Wheel makes its first appearance in Australia on this tour, following unanimous acclaim at every turn – ‘hilarity, musicality and unabated joy’; ‘funny, boisterous, big-hearted musical-hall variety show’, ‘breathtakingly personal’ and ‘it’s hard to imagine any other musician in the world playing the show that Elvis Costello did’.

Due to production and stage requirements, ‘The Spectacular Spinning Songbook’ can make only two very special appearances at Melbourne’s Palais Theatre and Sydney’s State Theatre. Due to the set size, the support artist at these shows will be a Joe Camilleri duo. We heartily recommend you sample Costello’s most recent recorded offering “The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook” (CD and DVD), filmed at the Los Angeles shows.

Elvis Costello and the Imposters, the long-awaited return of Sunnyboys and Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons in a not-to-be-missed five hours of musical splendour A Day On The Green and the Australian premiere of “The Spectacular Spinning Songbook” at the theatre shows!

A Day On The Green Shows:

With Sunnyboys, Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons, Tex Perkins & the Dark Horses, Stephen Cummings

Saturday January 26th - Rochford Wines, Yarra Valley VIC

Sunday January 27th - Leconfield Wines, McLaren Vale SA

Saturday February 2nd - Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley NSW

Sunday February 3rd - Sirromet Wines, Mt Cotton QLD

Wednesday February 6th - Kings Park, Perth WA

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook Shows:

Friday January 25th - Palais Theatre, Melbourne

Wednesday January 30th - State Theatre, Sydney

For information go to http://www.frontiertouring.com.au

TICKETS FOR ALL SHOWS ON SALE MONDAY OCTOBER 29
from ticketmaster.com.au
Azmuda

Re: 2013 Australian Tour

Post by Azmuda »

Maybe they'll add more Spinning Songbook dates depending on ticket sales for the Melbourne and Sydney shows.

2013-01-19 - Auckland - Day On The Green
2013-01-20
2013-01-21
2013-01-22
2013-01-23
2013-01-24
2013-01-25 - Melbourne - Spinning Songbook
2013-01-26 - Yarra Valley (Melbourne) - Day On The Green
2013-01-27 - McLaren Vale (Adelaide) - Day On The Green
2013-01-28
2013-01-29
2013-01-30 - Sydney - Spinning Songbook
2013-01-31
2013-02-01
2013-02-02 - Hunter Valley (Newcastle) - Day On The Green
2013-02-03 - Mount Cotton (Brisbane) - Day On The Green
2013-02-04
2013-02-05
2013-02-06 - Perth - Day On The Green
2013-02-07
2013-02-08
Last edited by Azmuda on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

My bankruptcy proceedings are imminent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Expect So Young to find its way into either Elvis' set or as a guest vocalist with Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons.

Jeremy - welcome to my (bankruptcy) world!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Think of all the cash you'll be saving not needing any long haul flights, JD :lol:
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Expect So Young to find its way into either Elvis' set or as a guest vocalist with Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons.
Last performed in 1987:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... f_So_Young
krm

Post by krm »

And No Coffee Table

Preview/interview:

Costello is keeping it creative
by: Noel Mengel
October 24, 2012 7:00PM

IN 2012, major rock 'n' roll tours are big business with every element organised in fine detail. That's not just behind the scenes.

With some bands it also includes the set lists, which might only vary slightly as the tour makes it way around the globe. And Elvis Costello is having none of that.

Costello has been a frequent tourist of Australia since he first came here with Elvis Costello and the Attractions in 1978, but in January he brings his Spectacular Singing Songbook to Australia for theatre shows in Sydney and Melbourne.

This tour is with his later band the Imposters, featuring original Attractions Steve Nieve (keys) and Pete Thomas (drums) plus bass player Davey Faragher. There will also be Day on the Green winery shows, with the set list chosen in the more usual way by Costello and the band.

The Spinning Songbook concept features 40 selections of hits, rarities and surprises each night, with the band playing whatever song the wheel lands on.

"We were playing St Louis last summer and Eddie Vedder was playing down the road with his ukulele show. There was 20 minutes between the start times of our shows so we said, 'Come on and do one with us and have a bit of fun'.

"Eddie goes off to great cheers, spins the wheel and it lands on Pump It Up. Many people would imagine that would be the finale of our show, but we have to keep going for another two hours.

"Another night it might be the opposite; you might get Shipbuilding followed by I Want You."

Costello wants to make sure there is plenty of time to devote to parenting his five-year-old twin sons with his wife, Canadian jazz singer Diana Krall, who has just released a new album, Glad Rag Doll.

"I enjoy playing and that's enough of my time really," Costello says. "Like a lot of people, I have to think about division of my time: the part of your life you value that you don't want to miss, and how you make your livelihood.

"I have plenty of ideas and one of these days I might write some more songs. But there is no possible way in the current market place that I can make a living making records. I have so many songs, I don't actually need to write any more.

"Partly I'm kidding. I don't know what is coming, is the truth. I could tell you I will never write another thing and then I could arrive with all new songs in the set and three records coming out. When you least expect it, fate stumbles in, as Percy Sledge once sang."

----

-- SEE Elvis Costello and the Imposters, with Sunnyboys, Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons, Tex Perkins and the Dark Horses, Stephen Cummings. Leconfield Wines, McLaren Vale, January 27. Tickets $99-$179 at VenueTix and Ticketmaster.

-VIC Palais Theatre, January 25

- NSW Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, February 2

- QLD Sirromet Wines, Mt Cotton, February 3

- WA Kings Park, Perth, February 6
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I could tell you I will never write another thing and then I could arrive with all new songs in the set and three records coming out. When you least expect it, fate stumbles in, as Percy Sledge once sang.

I'll go with this.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

That lineup is almost worth visiting New Zealand for.

Almost.
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Hi to all fellow Costello disciples,

As I will be attending the Melbourne and McLaren Vale events I thought I would take the plunge and graduate from regular viewer to sometime contributor on this site. I may even have something to say on these eagarly anticipated concerts particularly with Melbourne being my first Spinning Songbook. My association with the Man began in 1979 and Armed Forces ( it was the Sleeve Cover and of course Olivers Army that got me hooked.) First concert soon followed and have continued regularly ever since.I thought my emigration to Australia from UK may have curtailed this pleasure but so far I am getting my regular fix. See you around ( the Board ! )
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome Mr 101!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Indeed - welcome.

We are a demanding lot on this site so at some stage you will be expected to post setlists, write reviews and share your experiences.

You will also be required to sit a difficult examination to prove that you are a true fan. :)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entert ... the-tempo/

Elvis shifts the tempo

RAY PURVIS,

The West Australian
November 2, 2012,

Elvis Costello will not record another album. The bespectacled rock legend has declared that 2010's National Ransom, his 32nd album, is his last.

"I feel that I'm in a transition right now," the 58-year-old says. "The way the business of music is set up, I can justify my time away from the family playing concerts better than being in the studio."

Costello has also put on hold any further episodes of his high-rating TV chat show Spectacle, which recently screened in Australia on the ABC. In the first two series he interviewed and played with the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Sir Elton John, Lou Reed and Tony Bennett.

"Like recording, we could come back to that idea," he says.

Now high on the list of his priorities is being a father to twin boys Dexter and Frank, who are nearing school age. He's been married for the past nine years to the platinum-selling Canadian jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall, who also spends plenty of time on tour.

On top of all that he had to cancel concerts at the end of last year when his father died. "It's been very challenging. My time is divided a little differently to what it was just a while ago."

Fortunately, the singer-songwriter is still releasing new music.

"I have a song that's being issued this week that I contributed to a TV show and somebody asked me a couple of days ago if I'd sing on something of theirs. Last weekend I did a concert in San Francisco with the Preservation Hall Band and I performed a song I wrote with (Californian folk-rocker) Robert Hunter a year ago. Those things don't have to be an album. I can keep some things for special occasions."

Costello was recently in the studio when his wife recorded her latest album, Glad Rag Doll. Asked to play a bit of ukulele on one track he ended up playing guitar, mandolin and doing backing singing. "I'm really only on a couple of songs," he says modestly. "I really wasn't needed with the great band she had.

"I got a great kick out of being there and playing those small parts. I got to see the joy she was having doing it. There couldn't be anything more thrilling and sexy than seeing the woman you love doing something that she's dreamt about and then saw it through all the way."

In a career spanning more than 35 years, the British rock icon has graduated from pub rock to punk, from new wave to jazz, piano ballads, chamber music, opera, country and back to rock again. Along the way he's collaborated with pop maestros Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney, Solomon Burke, Allen Toussaint, the Brodsky Quartet and Swedish mezzo-soprano Anne Sofie von Otter.

Last month he attended the star-studded private memorial for lyricist Hal David, where he performed a moving version of I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself. "People call that music 'easy listening', but there's nothing easy about it," Costello says. "If it was easy, everybody would be writing and singing it."

The Watching the Detectives singer's coming tour includes a Kings Park date on February 6. The visit will be his fourth Down Under with the Imposters, his band featuring keyboard player Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas - both former members of the Attractions - along with bassist Davey Faragher, who has been with him for 10 years.

With a back catalogue of some 400 songs, the prolific songwriter likes to shoehorn as many as possible into his shows. Making its first appearance in Australia on this tour is his gigantic vaudevillian game-show wheel, the Spectacular Spinning Songbook, that will only appear in Melbourne and Sydney.

The set includes a go-go cage, a "society lounge" that serves red and blue drinks and involves audience participation.
"Well, one of the reasons we can't do this in Perth is because we'd need to send a Viking longboat to ferry the people across the water at the front of the stage at Kings Park," Costello jokes, "and that'd slow things down."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I was chatting with Mike Scott at a gig we were at here in Dublin the other day. He was telling me that his group ,The Waterboys, are doing their first shows in Australia in Jan. '13. I mentioned that Elvis was going to be there around the same time. 'I know' he said,' we had to change some dates because of that.' Some of Elvis' dates and locations coincided, apparently, with provisionally planned shows by Mike 'n co. The promoter decided that the fans for both would be more or less the same and so the arrangements are being changed.

The Waterboys are still doing great shows. The one I saw in Dublin this past summer was as rocking and full on as any of the many ones I saw back in the 1980s and afterwards.

http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

John Foyle say
I was chatting with Mike Scott at a gig we were at here in Dublin the other day.
Those of us in the know realise poor Mike Scott was cornered in some dark Dublin alley and subjected to a dose of the Foyle !! :lol: :lol: :roll:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

There's a back story , waay to long for here!
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Indeed - welcome.

We are a demanding lot on this site so at some stage you will be expected to post setlists, write reviews and share your experiences.

You will also be required to sit a difficult examination to prove that you are a true fan. :)
Thanks all.I will do my best. I hope the examination is as obvious as the password given to register with this site.
And No Coffee Table

New date:
Elvis Costello & The Imposters have announced a new date and will be performing at the Mona Foma Encore PW1, Hobart on Wednesday January 23rd 2013. Tickets on sale Monday December 3rd 2012 - http://www.mofo.net.au/
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

In respect of the Hobart date , over on http://www.mofo.net.au/program/events David Walsh writes:
Elvis Costello has a portmanteau name that belies his astonishing originality. In 1978 I desperately wanted to go to Chelsea for the sole reason that Mr Costello didn't. Since then he has sent me to many other places, while performing in the many styles of the day (and earlier days): pub rock, punk, new wave, country, jazz, folk, classical... He played one of the best gigs we have had on the lawn at Moorilla in 2005, his guitar and voice spectacularly separated, and spectacularly brilliant. Elvis has been entertaining us for so long, MOFO management is considering seating, fearing that we, his audience, are becoming infirm.
They are, of course, aware that prayer has the power to make the lame walk. They are apparently unaware that song has the power to make the lame dance. (Contrariwise, at least one of the management team has the power to make a joke lame).

Pinky Beecroft (who played many of the other best gigs we've had at Moorilla), ageing ex-nearly-rock-star with too many talents to name, and many talents without names, has been commissioned to support. He himself may need some support, being the victim of two 'incurable diseases'. The only contagious component of his performance is, however, melody; his catchy but clever tunes have been the soundtrack to many of my few successful seductions and also to a few of my many failed relationships.
Since the MOFO festival runs from 16-20 January, this date (on 23 January) is being billed as MOFO encore, to form part of the festival .

MOOT
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

This all seems rather pointless considering the announcement that the Prime Minister of Australia just made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtj3gDaE64&noredirect=1
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features ... s-Costello

Mon 7th Jan, 2013

Ahead of A Day On The Green ANDREW P STREET scans Elvis Costello’s expansive back-catalogue to rank a handful of the singer’s shiniest gems.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features ... s-Costello

Mon 7th Jan, 2013

Ahead of A Day On The Green ANDREW P STREET scans Elvis Costello’s expansive back-catalogue to rank a handful of the singer’s shiniest gems.

1. Brutal Youth (1994)
Before you start arguing this choice, shut up.....He would never make an album this aggressively brilliant again, but then again barely anyone ever has.

Wow. Made me think about this thread:

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=9586

As Paul Simon once sang "One man's ceiling is another man's floor". Must be something about Australia being south of the equator?!
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features ... s-Costello

Mon 7th Jan, 2013

Unusual to find a listing without Imperial Bedroom.Also disappointing but I guess inevitable that National Ransom did not feature.Each to his own !
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

There is a good set of webpages here covering the Australian Tour.

http://www.frontiertouring.com/elviscostello

I presume that Frontier Touring is the promoter. Why don't more promoters do this sort of thing? Respect.

MOOT