Squeeze Documentary on BBC4- Take Me I'm Yours

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Squeeze Documentary on BBC4- Take Me I'm Yours

Post by docinwestchester »

This is very well done. Lots of Elvis, especially during the East Side Story segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYUOJxXdrXM#t=28m0s
migdd

Re: Squeeze Documentary on BBC4- Take Me I'm Yours

Post by migdd »

Great find, doc! Thanks for posting.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This was an excellent documentary.

Two bits stuck out for me.

Firstly that Elvis suggested Paul Carrack to do lead vocals for Tempted and secondly the obvious emotion Glenn Tilbrook was going through when talking about his ex girlfriend Maxine when he was discussing Some Fantastic Place. He looked close to crying at that point.

Incidentally the program was followed by a Squeeze concert from 1982 which I'm sure you can find on BBCi Player.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:the obvious emotion Glenn Tilbrook was going through when talking about his ex girlfriend Maxine when he was discussing Some Fantastic Place. He looked close to crying at that point.
Chris too. Such a touching moment. Went straight to YouTube and watched the video a few times.
verbal gymnastics wrote:Incidentally the program was followed by a Squeeze concert from 1982 which I'm sure you can find on BBCi Player.
Not viewable outside the UK but I found a torrent:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5891978/ ... %28oan%29_
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I downloaded this off The Box and really enjoyed watching it.

Glad they went into the Tempted story, though I wish they'd pointed out it was Elvis doing all the "Temptations" style backing vocals in the second verse; at least that's the way I remember it.

Dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Some Fantastic Place video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNF5w4pP_Eo

Re-reading the various Squeeze texts I have I see the song's background is detailed there so it's nothing new. The sequence in this show , with such emotional presentation by Chris and Glenn, puts a whole new emphasis on it.

Elvis makes a very interesting comment towards the end of the show. Addressing the quality of the Squeeze songs , he says -

' The truth of the matter is if a song is alive to you , the emotion and the idea are alive to you , then - even if people's initial reason for wanting to hear the song is 'cause it's a memory to them, it creates a memory at the moment of performance..'

A bit convoluted,but it's a valid point and one, perhaps, Elvis hopes applies just as much to his songs and how he hopes people react to them.
John

Post by John »

Yes. What a great song. I had never heard it before. Featuring Pete Thomas on drums and in the video.
paysfortheprivilege

Post by paysfortheprivilege »

Great show, especially loved Chris Difford's description of demos as 'songs in short trousers'
Feck
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Post by HopeYou'reHappyNow »

Big Squeeze fan... have the documentary recorded, looking forward to watching it when I have the time to appreciate it. Knowing that there's plenty of EC in it is the icing on the cake!
"But look at yourself
You'll see you're still so young
You haven't earned the weariness
That sounds so jaded on your tongue"
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
paysfortheprivilege

Post by paysfortheprivilege »

One point which is very well made by the show is that Squeeze's commercial viability suffered greatly as a consequence of not being inherently 'visual' in the mtv age and beyond - an observation which arguably applies to EC to an even greater measure
Feck