'Elvis Costello - In Motion Pictures', Nov. '12

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

'Elvis Costello - In Motion Pictures', Nov. '12

Post by johnfoyle »

This listing has appeared -

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/

Elvis Costello - In Motion Pictures (11/19)

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pictures-E ... n+Pictures

In Motion Pictures
Elvis Costello

This title will be released on November 13, 2012

Of the top of my head, I'd speculate that it's a compilation of Elvis' one-off tracks for films and tv shows.
krm

Re: 'Elvis Costello - In Motion Pictures', Nov. '12

Post by krm »

i am expecting the release of "Sitting" now! Immediately!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote: http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pictures-E ... n+Pictures

In Motion Pictures
Elvis Costello
The Amazon listing now credits this CD to Eric Clapton rather than Elvis Costello!
And No Coffee Table

Well, this is strange...
Elvis Costello Digs Up Film Songs for 'In Motion Pictures' Collection

Elvis Costello has compiled a collection of fifteen of his songs that were included in or written for movie soundtracks with In Motion Pictures, due November 19 via Universal Music. The tracks range from the well-known ("Accidents Will Happen") to the rare ("Life Shrinks", a song written for the film The War of the Buttons but was never used). The eclectic collection also includes a duet (with Jimmy Cliff) and a cover of Ray Davies' "Days" that was used in the movie Until The End of the World. Costello's cover of the Charles Aznavour song "She" featured in the movie Notting Hill is also included. The newest track is the song "Sparkling Day" written for the 2011 Anne Hathaway/Jim Sturgess movie One Day. See the full track listing below.

Accidents Will Happen (E.T.: The Extraterrestrial)
Lover's Walk (The Shape of Things)
Miracle Man (The Godfather Part III)
Life Shrinks (The War of the Buttons)
Crawling to the U.S.A. (Americathon)
Seven Day Weekend (w/ Jimmy Cliff) (Club Paradise)
Days (written by Ray Davies of the Kinks) (Until the End of the World)
I Want You (I Want You)
You Stole My Bell (The Family Man)
My Mood Swings (The Big Lebowski)
Oh Well (Prison Song)
God Give Me Strength (Grace of My Heart)
Sparkling Day (One Day)
She (Notting Hill)
A Town Called The Big Nothing (performed by The McManus Gang) (Straight To Hell)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Let's Misbehave, Sitting, Bright Blue Times, Smile.....just a few of the omissions. The inclusion of stuff like 'Accidents is baffling when you consider that.
krm

Post by krm »

disappointing! as dead as Pomp and Pout!
cwr

Post by cwr »

UGH!

A few obscurities like "You Stole My Bell" and "Sparkling Day" but the absence of "Sitting" is hard to fathom.

While on the one hand, it's nice that EC isn't gouging diehard fans in order to sell a single rare track on a compilation, it's disappointing to see yet another compilation whose intended audience is a total mystery. Who is this for? If you're not going to target your releases to the people who buy all your records, who do they think will buy this? It's not the kind of thing that is going to get any mainstream attention or lure in that many "casual" Costello fans, is it?

This is presumably someone at Universal Music's idea, right? Costello has usually expressed bewilderment at their choices in the short-lived series of live releases and deluxe editions, so my guess is he has almost nothing to do with this, yes? (Despite the "Costello has compiled" phrasing in that article...? Are we to guess that this was his doing?)

Honestly, a handful of tracks we don't have, replacing well-worn favorites that merely appeared (or were WHISTLED) in movies, would have made this more fun for fans.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yea! A new release. I'm easy to please.

Just recovering from the weekend of great music in SF. I hit all stages yesterday and managed to navigate my way to the front row. Good times! Was in front for Elvis, too. Great show. People were still talking about it Sunday. My friends took great pics. Wil post some when they are uploaded.
And No Coffee Table

The Amazon listing, which still credits the album to Eric Clapton (so it won't show up if you search by Elvis' name), now has this:
In the cold cynical world of Hollywood, music will often save the day. For film directors of every sprocket, their hero is cool customer Elvis Costello. "In Motion Pictures" collects the best of those heroic moments, with Elvis Costello songs as heard in big films and little films, some featured, some in the background, filling in the story, all of them the unmistakable sound of our modern-day Elvis. The tunes are both familiar, but given a new frame, and rare gems written exclusively for the film.

"In Motion Pictures" includes 15 Elvis Costello songs featured in blockbuster and cult films, personally selected by Elvis himself. The films include E.T., The Godfather Part III, Notting Hill, The Big Lebowski, and Grace Of My Heart.

Also included is an illuminating essay by a mysterious Tinseltown insider, who provides the backdrop to the world of Elvis Costello, "In Motion Pictures."
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Amazon has the cover now:

__ Image
Last edited by Azmuda on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Fantastic cover. Still not going to buy it though.
krm

Post by krm »

Looks very nice - Trust era?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

How many songs has EC written for films (or TV) that were not used?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

How many songs has EC written for films (or TV) that were not used?
The most obvious one -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Blue_Times

Bright Blue Times

Only aired the once on this radio show -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1998-03-24

Listen to it here -

http://www.mediafire.com/?qhbrssrza16r1gd
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The 'In Motion Pictures' cover is from the Trust ( 1981) photo session by Keith Morris - this image appeared before

It was used on the Watch Your Step single sleeve -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Your_Step

And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/unive ... ctures/376

The sacred tie between the Hollywood silver screen and music is a union that has been around since silent shorts of the early 1900s. Some of these unions were the obvious choices and others were unlikely pairings. For the most part, Elvis Costello falls into the latter. And while the relationship has always been a very fragile one, it is those moments that proved to be the most magical.

Luckily for Universal Music Enterprises (UMe), this relationship survived and on November 19, 2012, UMe will release In Motion Pictures, a 15-song collection almost 30 years in the making. 'In Motion Pictures' features the songs of Elvis Costello used in movies, originally brokered and now hand-picked, with the sometimes reluctant and defiant blessing of Mr. Costello, by the mysterious Tinsel Town insider known as Moon Conway.

Featured are songs from Costello’s vast, past repertoire as well as songs specifically written and/or recorded for films and only available on the original soundtracks. An illuminating essay paints the backdrop to the world of Elvis Costello, “In Motion Pictures.”

In Motion Pictures collects some of Costello’s magical, musical moments, where celluloid and music come together for one fleeting moment, to enhance and create memorable fragments of the storyline. Who did not chuckle indulgently upon recognizing the almost inaudible “My Mood Swings” playing on The Dude’s headphones during his “dental” examination in The Big Lebowski? Or the use of “Miracle Man” during the seduction of Michael Corelone’s daughter in Godfather III? Who can deny the tawdry thrill of “I Want You” being laced through Michael Winterbottom’s movie of the same name, starring Rachel Weisz?

Sometimes Costello was even tapped for on-screen roles, mostly as “guitar player with glasses” or later as “singer with hat and glasses.” Once in a blue moon he was offered the chance to play more unusual characters. In 1987 he popped up in Alex Cox’s salute to Italian Westerns, Straight To Hell, with Costello playing the part of a pump-action shotgun-toting butler called “Hives,” who dies in a hail of bullets, Cagney-style. He even contributed the original track “A Town Called Big Nothing,” by the MacManus Gang, featuring Elvis Costello and his father Ross MacManus.

For Darnell Martin's 2001 “hip-hop opera” Prison Song, Costello took not one, but two unlikely supporting roles, as both a school teacher and a public defender in addition to providing the track “Oh Well,” co-written with Q-Tip.

However, the most unlikely piece of casting against type came not on-screen but when Richard Curtis offered to “ruin his career” by employing Costello as an unambiguous romantic balladeer over the closing titles of Notting Hill.

His rendition of “She,” the Charles Aznavour/Herbert Kretzmer song, was recorded at Abbey Road Studios while luminescent images of Julia Roberts were projected onto a giant screen hung above the orchestra. The song reached a modest No. 19 in the U.K. but was, however, a hit around the world, from Brazil to the Philippines, and remains Costello’s calling card in a number of countries in which exposure to the rest of his catalogue triggers everything from bemusement to outrage.

It’s with all this I say, thank goodness that we now have In Motion Pictures to recall those occasions when Elvis Costello’s peculiar talents were in accord with the flickering shadows, galloping tintypes and lingering dreams of those imaginings.

Track Listing

1. Accidents Will Happen
2. Lover's Walk
3. Miracle Man
4. Life Shrinks
5. Crawling To The U.S.A.
6. Seven Day Weekend (featuring Jimmy Cliff & Elvis Costello)
7. Days
8. I Want You
9. You Stole My Bell
10. My Mood Swings
11. Oh Well
12. God Give Me Strength
13. Sparkling Day
14. She
15. A Town Called Big Nothing (featuring The MacManus Gang)
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Yes Universal. This is exactly what Elvis Costello fans have been foaming at the mouth for. No, we don't care about the promised (and legendary) Royal Albert Hall show, or the incredible Royalty Theatre performance. God forbid you release Live At Broadway or the complete solo Warfield show.

So, is this finally the 2nd in the promised series of themed compilations that began--and seemingly ended-- with ROCK'N'ROLL MUSIC?

Hard not to be totally underwhelmed. "Sitting" and "Bright Blue Times" are the most vexing omissions, but maybe there was some legal snag to the inclusion of unreleased material? It seems a little unclear what his relationship to the label is these days, so it's not inconceivable that he might be reluctant to turn over anything in his personal archive at this point. Which would be a shame, as I would have loved to have heard, say, any of the rumored unused recordings for Cold Mountain. This could also have been a nice place to make the terrific (if perhaps eccentric) "Punishing Kiss" demo available to a paying audience.

"I'll Never Fall In Love Again" was almost certainly the most prominently featured EC recording in a major hit movie, so it's absence is particularly head scratching. ("She" may have been an actual hit, of course, but for the purposes of this release I give "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" the edge as EC actually appears in the movie performing the song in a delightful anachronistic scene.)

As far as I can tell, the highlight of the release will be it's cover.
krm

Post by krm »

The Gentleman wrote:
As far as I can tell, the highlight of the release will be it's cover.

wait till you see the innersleeve graphics......
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/10/23/acc ... more-17590

The Second Disc

Expanded and Remastered Music News

Accidents Will Happen: Elvis Costello Collects His Songs “In Motion Pictures” For New Retrospective

Written by Joe Marchese

October 23, 2012

The lure of the screen has long been impossible for Elvis Costello to resist, beginning with his appearance in 1979’s Americathon and continuing right through the present day. The artist born Declan Patrick MacManus has appeared onscreen in motion pictures from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me to Spice World, and written songs for even more films. Although the prolific artist hasn’t released a new studio album since 2010’s National Ransom, Universal is seeing to it that there’s some Costello under the tree at Christmastime. On November 19, the label will release In Motion Pictures, a 15-track collection of songs that have appeared in films over the years, including some penned specifically for the silver screen.

Curated by the part-time Coward Brother himself, In Motion Pictures offers tracks both familiar and rare. Most of the tracks have been anthologized elsewhere, though a couple of tracks might entice Costello collectors. One such song is 2011’s “Sparkling Day,” written and performed by Costello for the Anne Hathaway-starring tearjerker One Day. The soundtrack did not receive a CD release in the United States, so this compilation marks its commercial U.S. debut in a physical format. Another comparatively rare track is “You Stole My Bell,” previously included only on the soundtrack to Nicolas Cage’s 2000 holiday film The Family Man.

From Costello’s film debut in Americathon comes “Crawling to the U.S.A.,” originally featured on the movie’s soundtrack (alongside “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea”) and later included on various compilations and appended to the Rykodisc, Rhino and Universal reissues of This Year’s Model. Other early songs heard here include “Accidents Will Happen” from 1979’s Armed Forces, memorably referenced in Steven Spielberg’s 1982 fantasy E.T., “Miracle Man” from Costello’s album debut My Aim is True and “Lover’s Walk” from 1981’s Trust album. The latter songs were featured in Francis Ford Coppola’s The Godfather: Part III and Neil LaBute’s The Shape of Things, respectively. Elvis scored a U.K. Top 20 hit, his first in sixteen years, with 1999’s “She,” a Charles Aznavour chanson recorded for the comedy Notting Hill. The ballad, of course, appears on In Motion Pictures. Another renowned composer is represented with Costello’s recording of “Days,” the Ray Davies song, from director Wim Wenders’ 1991 Until the End of the World.

In 1996, Elvis Costello accepted an invitation from director Allison Anders to team up with one of his longtime heroes for her Brill Building-inspired film Grace of My Heart. Costello and Burt Bacharach supplied Anders with one of the best movie songs ever to have been denied an Academy Award nomination: their powerfully dramatic “God Give Me Strength.” The collaboration between Costello and Bacharach led to an acclaimed joint album, 1998’s Painted from Memory, as well as concert appearances and further pairings. Costello contributed vocals to Bacharach’s 2005 Columbia album At This Time and has been a loyal friend to Bacharach, appearing at numerous tributes over the years. The duo also appeared onscreen together serenading Mike Myers’ Austin Powers with “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again” from 1999’s Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me. Alas, their groovy rendition of the song from Bacharach and Hal David’s Promises, Promises (a highlight of the movie and also a staple of Costello’s 1999 live performances) hasn’t been included on the new compilation.

Another notable omission from In Motion Pictures is “The Scarlet Tide,” written by Costello and T-Bone Burnett for 2003’s drama Cold Mountain. Performed for the film by Allison Krauss, the song earned Costello an Academy Award nomination. He recorded it on his 2004 studio album The Delivery Man. Many other tracks could have made an appearance, such as Costello’s version of Cole Porter’s “Let’s Misbehave” (from 2004’s Porter biopic De-Lovely) and two true rarities: a performance of Cat Stevens’ “Sitting” heard in The Invention of Lying (2009) and “Bright Blue Times,” from Soft Sand, Blue Sea (1998). Neither song has been released on record.

While In Motion Pictures isn’t a definitive survey of Costello’s movie music, it offers a cross-section of the man’s diverse musical styles from his early days as a punk/New Wave pioneer to his current status as an elder statesman of popular song. The compilation includes “an illuminating essay by a mysterious Tinseltown insider” (which alias shall Elvis take on now?) and a striking cover from the Trust album shoot by photographer Keith Morris. In Motion Pictures arrives from Universal on November 22. It can be ordered below!

Elvis Costello, In Motion Pictures (UMe, 2012)

Accidents Will Happen (E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, 1982)
Lover’s Walk (The Shape of Things, 2003)
Miracle Man (The Godfather: Part III, 1990)
Life Shrinks (written for The War of the Buttons, 1994)
Crawling to the U.S.A. (Americathon, 1979)
Seven Day Weekend (with Jimmy Cliff) (Club Paradise, 1996)
Days (Until the End of the World, 1991)
I Want You (I Want You, 1998)
You Stole My Bell (The Family Man, 2000)
My Mood Swings (The Big Lebowski, 1998)
Oh Well (Prison Song, 2001)
God Give Me Strength (Grace of My Heart, 1996)
Sparkling Day (One Day, 2011)
She (Notting Hill, 1999)
A Town Called Big Nothing (Straight to Hell, 1987)

Track 1 from Armed Forces, Radar RAD 14 (U.K.)/Columbia 45709, 1979
Track 2 from Trust, F-Beat XXLP 11 (U.K.)/Columbia 37051, 1981
Track 3 from My Aim is True, Stiff SEEZ 3 (U.K.)/Columbia 35037 (U.S.), 1977
Track 4 first issued as B-side of “It’s Time,” also released on Brutal Youth (Deluxe Edition), Rhino R2 78390(U.S.)/Edsel (U.K.), 2002
Track 5 from Americathon: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, Lorimar JS-36174, 1979
Track 6 from Club Paradise: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, CBS SC-40404, 1986
Track 7 from Until the End of the World: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack, Warner Bros. 26707-1, 1991
Track 8 from Blood and Chocolate, Demon XFIEND 80 (U.K.)/Columbia CK 40518 (U.S.), 1986
Track 9 from The Family Man: Music from the Motion Picture, Sire 31151, 2000
Track 10 from The Big Lebowski: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, Mercury 314-536-903-2, 1998
Track 11 from When I Was Cruel (UK/Japan editions) and Cruel Smile, Island 063388, 2002
Track 12 from Grace of My Heart: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, MCA 11510, 1996
Track 13 from One Day: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, U.S. digital-only release, 2011
Track 14 from Notting Hill: Music from the Motion Picture, Island 314 546 196-2, 1999
Track 15 from Straight to Hell: Original Soundtrack, Stiff HELL/DIABLO 1, 1987
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Seems likely that he would have recorded a demo to "Unwanted Number."
John

Post by John »

I guess we'll have to make our own bonus discs. There's a good recording of Unwanted Number here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPWF9_tKYUI&feature=plcp

I'll Never Fall In Love Again is a strange omission. Has this only ever appeared on the soundtrack album? Maybe there is some copyright problem here?
krm

Post by krm »

I'll never fall in love again was released on the Austin Powers OST.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Allmusic says:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/in-motion ... 0002436187

review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Despite cameos in Spice World, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, and 200 Cigarettes,
very few would consider Elvis Costello a star of the silver screen, but the singer/songwriter has
soundtracked many a film since he stormed onto the scene in the late '70s. The 2012 compilation
In Motion Pictures doesn't contain all of the songs that have popped up in movies over the years
but it has 15 of them, making a shift from songs licensed to films toward songs written for films
about halfway through. Apart from "Oh Well," a song cut for the little-seen hip-hop opera Prison
Song, "Sparkling Day" from One Day, and "You Stole My Bell" from The Family Man, most of these
songs aren't particularly hard to find on other Costello compilations, but this does provide a
service in rounding up a bunch of stray songs of varying shades of quality. Although this is
certainly inconsistent -- its momentum stalls on the stately relatively recent songs -- in an odd way,
what's most interesting about In Motion Pictures is that it's the only compilation to touch upon
nearly every phase of Costello's career. Here, you can hear the man evolve from nervy punk rocker
to sophisticated balladeer, trading personas like an actor finds new roles. And while that might
not make for the sturdiest of compilations, it is one that is quietly -- and inadvertently -- revealing.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Did this pic appear somewhere in the film 200 Cigarettes?

I assume that's Martha Plimpton in the pic above.

sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

This pointless release has been put back a couple of weeks. I suppose so it doesn't keep The Rolling Stones 547th 'best of' off the top of the album charts