New album in the works?

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

New album in the works?

Post by sweetest punch »

A tweet from Summerfest ( https://twitter.com/njschurk/status/247179108126183425 ) announces a new album:

"Oh my God! Elvis Costello ended the set by announcing a new album based on "A Song of Ice and Fire"!!!"

"he played a song off of it called "Flame Dancer". This album is gonna go in a weird new direction... "

------------------

A Song of Ice and Fire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

A Song of Ice and Fire

A Song of Ice and Fire is a series of epic fantasy novels written by American novelist and screenwriter George R. R. Martin. Martin began the series in 1991 and published the first volume, A Game of Thrones, in 1996. Martin gradually extended the originally planned trilogy into four, six and eventually seven volumes. The fifth installment, A Dance with Dragons, took over five years of writing until being published in 2011. The sixth book, The Winds of Winter, is being written.
(...)

This article is about the series of novels. For the television adaptation, see Game of Thrones (TV series).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Th ... TV_series)

Game of Thrones is a medieval fantasy television series created for the U.S. channel HBO by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. It is an adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire, George R. R. Martin's series of fantasy novels, the first of which is titled A Game of Thrones. The series' cast is mostly British and Irish. It is filmed at Paint Hall Studios in Belfast, as well as on location elsewhere in Northern Ireland, Malta, Croatia, Iceland, and Morocco.

The first season debuted in the U.S. on April 17, 2011. Two days later, it was picked up for a second season, which began airing on April 1, 2012. Nine days after that, it was picked up for a third season.

Highly anticipated since its early stages of development, Game of Thrones has been very well received by viewers and critics. Season 1 was nominated for or won numerous awards, including Outstanding Drama Series for the Emmy Awards and Best Television Series – Drama at the 69th Golden Globe Awards. As Tyrion Lannister, Peter Dinklage won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series and the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film. Season 2 has been nominated for 12 Emmy Awards.[4]
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: New album in the works?

Post by johnfoyle »

Season Three of Game Of Thrones is premiering in March '13.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Th ... eason_3%29
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I'm pretty sure that tweet was intended as a joke (even if it isn't actually funny). He says in another tweet:
Just Googled the Game of Thrones inspired Costello album. Apparently it's going to have colabs w/ Chris Martin, The XX, One Direction & more
That isn't true either. (Try Googling it for yourself.)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yep, that seems to be the case.'Punked' is, I gather, the relevant expression!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Ah, Game of Thrones. Has anyone seen this series? Friends have recommended it, but I'm not really into fantasy stories. They seem to get a little weird - with creepy characters,etc.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:Yep, that seems to be the case.'Punked' is, I gather, the relevant expression!
Indeed.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Mea culpa.

I should have been more careful with what I forwarded from the twitter-verse.

Sorry everyone.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Azmuda wrote:Mea culpa.

I should have been more careful with what I forwarded from the twitter-verse.

Sorry everyone.
No need for apologies.
Together we can sort out what is true and what is false.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

I love Game Of Thrones and for one quick moment I thought "WOW!!!" and then "Nah, that would never happen even in a paralel universe". The series is awesome but only for those who are really into fantasy and stuff (that doesn't seem to be Elvis' case). The books are spectacular too, but again that comes from a Tolkien and Bernard Cornwell fan.
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The original Twitter poster is stickng by his story -

just reporting what Costello said: New concept album to be released in conjunction w/ season 3 of Game of Thrones
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nick Schurk ‏ also tweets that the 'new song' "Flame Dancer" is 'Kind of reminiscent of "Tramp Down the Dirt," which is oddly fitting for the tone of the show. '
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:Nick Schurk ‏ also tweets that the 'new song' "Flame Dancer" is 'Kind of reminiscent of "Tramp Down the Dirt," which is oddly fitting for the tone of the show. '
Nothing on the official EC website?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

docinwestchester wrote: Nothing on the official EC website?
http://www.elviscostello.com/yellow-press
No.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I already hate it. :lol:

Seriously, if true (which I really, really, really, really, really doubt) it would just come off as bizarre and opportunistic based on the popularity of the HBO series. I just can't imagine Elvis putting together a record centered around sword fights and dragons, unless he goes full on power metal.

If the twitter fan is serious, my guess is they are just a bit gullible. It does sound like something Elvis would be familiar with and make a joke about considering the name of the song. It reminds me of when he talked about his upcoming album "South" on the tour for "North".
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It could be the case that he was extending a joke but he has actually written a song for Game of Thrones.

I think the important thing here is that there is new material.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

This thread is reminiscent of people sitting around talking about their Loch Ness Monster sightings. All we need now is a blurry photograph.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Can I add virtually nothing to this thread by saying that parts of Game of Thrones are filmed near my house?
Jocko Wainwright

Winter is coming.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Jocko Wainwright wrote:This thread is reminiscent of people sitting around talking about their Loch Ness Monster sightings. All we need now is a blurry photograph.
Don't forget Big Foot.

Check out the poster for big foot discovery day 2010 - Big Foot w/ a surf board. Nice.
http://bigfootdiscoveryproject.com/
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I dipped into the first book and found it lame. (And this from a huge admirer of Tolkien. The fact is, very little of the 'fantasy' work written after Tolkien can hold the faintest candle to his achievement). That said, the show is really pretty fine - easily the best realization of the 'fantasy' idiom ever put to television, to my imperfect knowledge.

But EC? Nah. There's a reason why the root word of Twitter is 'twit.'
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
migdd

Post by migdd »

Has it actually been confirmed that EC even really played a new song? The Game of Thrones connection of course seems utterly preposterous but I'd like confirmation that he did indeed play any new composition. So far, there's been no proof that such is the case.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

migdd wrote:Has it actually been confirmed that EC even really played a new song?
No.
Jocko Wainwright

MOJO wrote:
Jocko Wainwright wrote:This thread is reminiscent of people sitting around talking about their Loch Ness Monster sightings. All we need now is a blurry photograph.
Don't forget Big Foot.

Check out the poster for big foot discovery day 2010 - Big Foot w/ a surf board. Nice.
http://bigfootdiscoveryproject.com/
Maybe Bigfoot on a surfboard is the Loch Ness Monster. I think we've busted this case wide open.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

migdd wrote:Has it actually been confirmed that EC even really played a new song? The Game of Thrones connection of course seems utterly preposterous but I'd like confirmation that he did indeed play any new composition. So far, there's been no proof that such is the case.
that's what i was concerned about also! where did that tweet go to? i cant find it....how do we know it was not just an uniformed fan of EC hearing an oblique (for him!) song that we all would know. lots of strange tweets were there if i recall. wish we had a taper!