Elvis boxing clever in 2002

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis boxing clever in 2002

Post by johnfoyle »

It's ten years since Elvis did one of his more bizarre photo shoots. Elvis Costello and corner staff, Dublin, 4 February 2002. was the caption in Q magazine when the photos appeared. As we approach the 10 year anniversary of the writing of North the feature offers a snapshot of Elvis' mindset as, unknown to us, the events that inspired it were playing out.

Photographs by Jamie Beedon
Another photo is on the photographer's Flickr page -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamiephoto ... otostream/

And on his site -

http://jamiebeedenphotography.virb.com/music#/i/13

(I'm going to send a link to this thread to Jamie and maybe he'll tell me more about any memories he has of the session.)

From the feature -

Costello has a photo session to endure. He takes part with good enough grace. "Doing this picture is like asking me to subscribe to the premise that I'm combative - and I don't think I am. That's why I said I'll only do it if the ring is full of roses and my corner staff are girls. Perhaps we can make a beautiful, absurd picture."

The lady in the blue top and red shorts is Hazel Kaneswaran http://www.hazelkaneswaran.ie. I've asked her, via Twitter, if she knows the names of the other girls and I'll let you know if she tells me.

Q, 2002-05-01

Another Good Year For The Roses

He's Homer Simpson's latest co-star, and a new breed of US punk kid calls him "daddy". But still Elvis Costello thinks the world just wants him to remake his old albums. "I'm an idiot, we all are," he informs John Aizlewood.

U2 own the Clarence, a discreet hotel situated on the south bank of the River Liffey which bisects Dublin's ugly north from its more beautiful southern side, a reminder, despite everything, that British rule did leave nice Georgian buildings, handsome parks and wide streets. The Clarence serves the least edible but most expensive cheeseburgers this side of Glastonbury Festival and it is here where Elvis Costello has chosen to discuss his latest album, When I Was Cruel.

The leather jacket, thick-rimmed glasses and unruly haircut suggest otherwise, but he's looking less like Bono's slightly seedy uncle than he has of late. The jowls, tinted glasses and unkempt, sweaty air have been replaced by a look reflecting a successful artist who will turn 50 in 2004.

When the revolution nearly came, Costello was the angry but articulate voice of punk. More curiously, 20 years later he briefly became a soundtrack hero after covers of She and I'll Never Fall In Love Again made it onto Notting Hill and Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me respectively. He is due to appear in a forthcoming episode of The Simpsons and is getting a new generation's respect, hence a 1977-vintage Costello photograph taken backstage at New York's CBGB appearing in a Sum 41 video.

"I loved that," he coos. "Apparently, they sell a lot of records. You know what I hear? In groups such as American Hi-Fi and Sum 41 I hear our early stuff processed through Green Day, who, to use Buffy speak, are the portal through which they pour bits of me and Joe Strummer. It's healthy but it's not going to change my life unless a bunch of kids buy the new record or reissues of the old."

However, none of this need equate with contentment. Costello doesn't so much have a bee in his bonnet as a hive. Thus he oscillates wildly between being guardedly defensive to the point of paranoia, and being infectiously enthusiastic about myriad musics, from the Mingus Big Band to the "seriously ugly" ex-Buzzcock Howard Devoto.

Costello's beef concerns the press reaction to his endless litany of side projects. Since 1996's All This Useless Beauty, these have included Painted From Memory, a disappointing album with Burt Bacharach; guest vocal appearances with our new friends the Mingus Big Band among many others; a Country Music Television special with Lucinda Williams ("Having me on it got her on CMT. I'm the one who wrote a song for George Jones and Johnny Cash - I've got pretty serious credits in Nashville") and producing Anne Sofie Von Otter's For The Stars.

"They're not side projects," he declares. "There's no sense of that to my mind. I go in there whole-heartedly and I give them all my time and attention. You're asking me to say that I somehow do them while my left foot is cracking walnuts, which is not the case. The attitude since All This Useless Beauty has been, Why doesn't he knock it off and make an Elvis CosteIlo record? I know that's the case."

Can't you understand that attitude?

"Not one little bit. You're asking me to subscribe to the idea that I shouldn't do them or that they're not worthy. I just don't see them that way and I never will. There's no argument or any of your talking at me that will get me to say Painted From Memory, working with Anne Sofie or scoring a ballet weren't worthwhile things. I was offered the opportunity to do them, I've really enjoyed them and that I've learned from them. It satisfies a need and, apart from that, I don't really give a damn."

Yet this catholic, spread-yourself-thin approach takes its toll on what he refuses to acknowledge are "proper" Costello albums. When I Was Cruel was made in just two weeks. A little hasty perhaps? The 200-page ballet score he mentioned will take a year.

"No. That's how long we recorded for. They're not exactly hard songs, and I'd been writing some of them for two years. This record is more about rhythm than melody because the melodies were so big on Painted From Memory. It's not like there's a shortage of tunes: My Little Blue Window, Tart and Radio Silence are all really good melodies. It's definitely not Armed Forces."

In fact, it's a fine record - Tart and Tear Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution) would make a Best Of collection. Those expecting something comparable in terms of quality with 1979's Armed Forces or `86's King Of America, let alone `80's Get Happy!!, the achievement of his lifetime, will be disappointed. Again. And this is the nub of the entire Costello problem. Is it that he won't do sustained magic again? Or that he can't?

"I could, but why would I do that? It's like if you ask Brian Wilson why he hasn't re-made Pet Sounds. It's because he didn't want to."

He trails off and looks across the Liffey. Dublin has been his home for 12 years now.

"I don't feel British. I'm about as far out of Britain as you can be while being so geographically close."

He hitches up his bright yellow socks and trots off for the world's longest wee. On his return, his hands smell of expensive soap.

`Green Day are the portal through which they pour bits of me and Joe Strummer."

"Actually, I'm wrong about being able to do Armed Forces again. I don't think I could - not through a lack of ability to capture melody, but because the air is different. I can't go to Belfast for the first time. I can't ride around America for the first time thinking, Isn't this odd, wow, look at the name of that shop, that sounds like the beginning to a song. I could pretend I was that naive again and that it was fresh to me, but you can't go back. That's the main reason for not doing it - you would be affecting it. The fact that I won't make Armed Forces again is something that I should get applauded, not criticised, for."

Costello says all this without rancour but with fervour. Again, that defensiveness ensures he will not admit to wrong turnings.

"I wouldn't characterise what I'm doing now or at any time as a mistake. Obviously."

Nor will it allow him to regard any of his own material with irreverence: "Then I'm denigrating some song that I believed in as I was writing it."

More realistically, Elvis Costello's lyrical edge is still tack-sharp. There's little of the bitterness of yore, although calling him bitter was always the easy option. Indeed, there's a beguiling ambiguity running through When I Was Cruel: 15 Petals' protagonist is part naive lovestruck soul, part deranged psychopath.

"Oh I like that," he purrs, "that's a lovely interpretation. There's quite a lot of humour in the record, not as in laugh out loud, more a celebration of the absurdities of life. There's a lot of love songs in the world, but I haven't written too many - they're always around the twist. I wanted 15 Petals to be as mad as love is."

He wears the burdon of being a great wordsmith lightly.

"The thought of being a great lyricist doesn't occur. I'm an idiot. We all are, we're all beautiful and we're all ugly. I'm not kidding. I'm not being falsely modest..."

Oh come on. Of course you are...

"No. I believe it. I don't care about it. I know that I can spin words and I know people admire it, but I don't want people applauding as I walk into the room. If you believe it, you start reaching only for big ideas and dazzling expressions. Upon A Veil Of Midnight Blue is a little-known song I wrote for Charles Brown - `You find your tongue is tied, your words escape and hide/ But she's so patient and kind, that she's prepared to read your mind/But that's all very well, `til you find because of the wine you drank/Your mind is just a blank.' Charles just sang, `I find it hard to think when I drink.' That's what happens if you get the quill out and say, I'll dazzle you. Fuck it, you're going to get slapped down."

He's made his money, but not enough to stop working. Sales of When I Was Cruel will show how much of his core audience he has retained. Typically, he purports not to care.

"They don't owe me anything. I don't owe them anything. I don't have disdain for them, but the price of admission is only to get to hear the thing I've made. People have more to do with their lives than count the days until I do a record."

If he says that too often, it might come to pass, but for all his ambivalence, Costello's been famous once and then gone back for more. He sounds starstruck by his dabblings with the word of film.

"One week Phantom Menace was Number 1, followed by Notting Hill and Austin Powers. I was thinking what a drag it was that I wasn't in Phantom Menace. I was big in Brazil and Thailand, I got to go to two premieres, I met Julia Roberts and everyone was really sweet. Now I'm older, being famous is not affecting me so much so I'm much happier than 20 years ago when I'd quit the business four times a week because I'd not gone into it to get famous. It's really silly, we worship the wrong gods."

It's time to go now. Costello has a photo session to endure. He takes part with good enough grace. "Doing this picture is like asking me to subscribe to the premise that I'm combative - and I don't think I am. That's why I said I'll only do it if the ring is full of roses and my corner staff are girls. Perhaps we can make a beautiful, absurd picture."

He still awaits Kate Bush's telephone call after he suggested they work together at last year's Q Awards ("We're hoping she will. Perhaps if she comes this way... "), but the future looks interesting, Costello is artist in residence at the University of California, Los Angeles and he's kept his Equity and Screen Actors Guild cards, the latter coming in useful when he guested in the overlooked film 200 Cigarettes and that Simpsons episode.

Annoyingly, he refuses to discuss the latter, refusing to reveal that he plays a counsellor at a music camp as Homer Simpson once more embraces rock. Then there'll be the ballet, more collaborations and perhaps a little time spent on actually being Elvis Costello. Don't bet on it, though.
krm

Re: Elvis boxing clever in 2002

Post by krm »

haha, this reminds me of one of my first EC bootlegs - Exit
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... tleg:_Exit

Never saw this photo before! great!!!!
Attachments
Exit_Bootleg_front.jpg
Exit_Bootleg_front.jpg (18.25 KiB) Viewed 9649 times
krm

Post by krm »

i am working my way slowly through the interview......
Here is a screenshot of the video of Sum41 that he refers to. The song is called motivation. Nice pic of Armed Forces era Elvis!
Attachments
sum41-EC.jpg
sum41-EC.jpg (11.32 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

What is so clear from that interview is the healthy, but conflicted, ego that he possesses. He knows he is 'bigger and better' than most and dammit he will show you in his next project. No creative person I have ever encountered wants to stand still, continuously repeating a past effort. I have and will continue to applaud him for wanting to evolve. I may not always like the path that evolution takes-like the album this interview was plugging, WIWC. But this love/ambivalence relationship with both his audience and his career and the various directions it has taken still seems to drive him professionally and personally. It is quite telling that this piece makes mention that he still needs to work, not just because he likes to do it, but also because he needs the money after decades of performing and recording. Ironically we are still reading such lines these days, a decade on, as in the New Yorker piece of two years ago, where it noted that he has to pay attention to the pay he earns at a gig so that after he has paid his supporting musicians there is something left over at the end for him. That brass ring and its accoutrements are most elusive! God it is not easy being a 'professional' musician.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

(I'm going to send a link to this thread to Jamie and maybe he'll tell me more about any memories he has of the session.)
Result!

Hi John,

ah yes I remember a few things about this shoot, mostly how cold it was in that boxing club, absolutely freezing. You can't see them but there were 4 fan heaters on full blast just out of shot to keep the models warm, Elvis was OK in his big coat!

I seem to remember that the journalist told me that the original concept was to get him in a suit of armour but he wasn't into that idea and suggested the boxing club trainer idea himself and insisted on having 3 models and 2 dozen red roses, I think he was trying to push the magazine to see how far they'd go.

Elvis seemed to enjoy the shoot and really got into the whole trainer vibe, I think he'd be a good actor.

The other thing I remember is we got snowed in at Dublin airport trying to fly out and we stuck in the lounge for hours and hours until they got the snowploughs out, Elvis' press officer the Legendary Barbara Charone and I went out hunting for sandwiches for everyone!

Hope this helps,

Jamie

http://www.jamiebeeden.co.uk

By the way John Aizlewood, the writer of the piece, has promised , via Twitter, to send me a comment.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

You can't see them but there were 4 fan heaters on full blast just out of shot to keep the models warm,
Re-examining the photos it's plain to see that the models were, indeed, feeling the cold!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John Aizlewood, the writer of the piece, has promised , via Twitter, to send me a comment.
...and here it is...

I remember it well. I’d never met him before, but I was assured we’d get on. Although the piece seems to imply that I was, I wasn’t there for the photoshoot and far from suggesting a suit of armour, I had no input in it at all.

We spoke in a room in Dublin’s Clarence Hotel. In retrospect I think I liked him rather more than he liked me. He was a prickly interviewee – I never mind that, sometimes it’s my job to prickle – and he was obviously exceptionally bright and very articulate. The problem was that I was trying hard to like When I Was Cruel more than I actually did (I don’t think it’s aged especially well, unlike most EC stuff) and I think he was smart enough to sense that and it made him suspicious. The key to the piece is whether he thought When I Was Cruel was a great work: if he had doubts, naturally he couldn’t admit it then, but I’d love to know how he feels about it now. If he does adore it, then he must have genuinely thought I was a buffoon; if he’s dubious then I’d probably clicked into something he didn’t want to confess to himself.

He didn’t like the suggestion that he spread himself too thinly. Again, he might disagree but there’s surely some truth in that. And, if he had troubles at home – if there was I didn’t pick up on it – that would make him more guarded still.

If memory serves we had chat about football off tape and I thought we parted on good terms. The feedback from his people was quite negative, so that can only mean he didn’t like the piece, which is a shame. Much as I’d like another crack at him, it’s never come to pass. Reading it again, I can see there are aspects he might not appreciate, but I appreciated him...

John raises some interesting points , which I hope to address later. For the moment I thought it might be interesting to add this review he wrote in 2003 , a year after the Q piece -

Elvis is all shook up

Royal Festival Hall, 11 October '03

Reviewed by John Aizlewood
Evening Standard 13 October 2003

There have been a myriad Elvis Costellos over the years: vitriolic, smug, ahead of the times, behind the times, quixotic and even simplistic. 2003's version is perhaps the most unlikely yet :a vulnerable puppy of
love.

This latest persona is inspired by his relationship with Canadian jazz chanteuse Diana Krall (present on Saturday, accompanied by American actor Clint Eastwood), which informs the second half of his new
album, North.

Having introduced the North sections as "exceedingly quiet", Costello sang the bulk of them without his usual prop of a guitar. Accompanied for the most part by the piano of Attraction Steve Nieve(who,judging
by his appearance, is sleeping rough these days), briefly by The Brodsky Quartet, but occasionally wholly solo (at the very death without vocal amplification), Costello shared his joy.

Indeed, as he played piano on the selfdeprecating Let Me Tell You About Her like a gifted Richard Stillgoe, he displayed a hitherto unheralded sense of comic timing.

Over the course of two-and-a-quarter hours - the encores were longer than the actual set - there was ample room for old as well as new. The spartan format and Nieve's adaptability meant anything was possible, even a cover of Smokey Robinson's lovelorn You've Really Got A Hold On Me halfway through the bile-encrusted Dark, Deep Truthful Mirror.

Encouragingly, the more recent material, such as 45, is ageing well, suggesting Costello's gifts have been taken for granted of late.

The old Costellos lurked in the background. A politicised section included the riproaring (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding? and Shipbuilding, which still seethes with stoic dignity.
The Brodsky Quartet provided a sinister backdrop to the already malevolent Pills And Soap and a gorgeous setting for You Left Me In The Dark, from North's first half, which details the disintegration of his
marriage to Cait O'Riordan. Tellingly, this remained unsaid.

It's tricky to see where Costello can go from here, but predicting his next move has always been futile. Let's just hope he's sufficiently canny to resist the temptation of a duets album with Krall.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Very cool to hear retrospectives from people involved! Fun stuff.

This made me go over the original interview with greater care, and I'd single out two interesting bits. First,

Costello doesn't so much have a bee in his bonnet as a hive

is a fun little line. I like writers who can do that. And second,

Those expecting something comparable in terms of quality with 1979's Armed Forces or `86's King Of America, let alone `80's Get Happy!!, the achievement of his lifetime, will be disappointed.

is no doubt what pissed Elvis off upon reading the piece. It's 100% fair comment, especially in the context of the fairly awful WIWC, but EC has never been one to tolerate unpleasant truths from a class of people (music journalists) that he appears to regard as one level above e coli.

It's too bad, because this John Aizlewood seems the sort of tolerably thoughtful, honest scribe by whom you'd want to be interviewed.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

"The key to the piece is whether he thought When I Was Cruel was a great work: if he had doubts, naturally he couldn’t admit it then, but I’d love to know how he feels about it now. If he does adore it, then he must have genuinely thought I was a buffoon; if he’s dubious then I’d probably clicked into something he didn’t want to confess to himself."

That is a key observation for me.

Prickly soul, our Declan!
Thank you, John, for the additional follow up material. :D

"'Costello doesn't so much have a bee in his bonnet as a hive'

is a fun little line. I like writers who can do that"

Most clever line as it really paints a pretty accurate picture I believe. Concur that he got a fair shake in this piece. Shame he has never had another crack at interviewing him. He did a strong job that first time. I liked the last line in his review of a show a year later where he wishes for no future duets album. Most perceptive.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jamie Beeden responds -

Ah, it may have been the photo editor that had mentioned the suit of armour idea, it was 10 years ago and my memory is a bit fuzzy but I'm sure that was the original concept suggested by Q.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis was happy to hang out with another gang of Irish models in '02 , this time for Blender magazine, to accompany a 'readers questions' feature. The text of that is further down this feature and is , yet again, another interesting account of his thoughts at the time.

First lets have a look at the photograph that was commissioned for the piece, appearing like this -

My scanner can , at best , get this detail-

Blender credit the girls involved as - Amy, Anna, Emma Jane, Jessica, Kathryn, Lisa, Lorna Jane, Lorna W., Lynn, Maria, Rachel,Sinead, Siri, Therese, Yasmin , ' all @ Morgan The Agency, Dublin'.

I'll , just like earlier, send this thread to the various participants and see if they will send any memories. I'm doubtful , however, if the photographer will find time for it is the mighty Rankin. http://rankin.co.uk/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankin_%28photographer%29

John Rankin Waddell (born 1966) had worked with Elvis plenty of times before so this was a relatively relaxed shoot, as this profile of him from around the same time tells -

http://www.hotpress.com/features/interv ... 68768.html

(extract)

“So,” says Rankin to a Clarence Hotel bar-room containing twenty-odd beautiful young women in male drag, and Elvis Costello. Hands on hips. Stepping back from a camera. Surveying a roomful of arched eyebrows, angular black gabardine, and Brylcreemed girlish heads, frozen in poses; and in the centre, one large, quiet, big-hatted, very comprehensively spectacled, fairly arresting-looking pop star these girls are too young to have heard of. “Who here fancies Brad Pitt?”

The girls drop their poise slightly, relax, glance shyly down or around at each other, smilingly debating Brad Pitt’s various merits. The consensus is bashful, but positive. “Mmm, okay. What about George Clooney?” Some murmurings to the effect that he’s “a bit old”. “Thom Yorke?” Twenty perfect noses are wrinkled in unhidden repugnance. Elvis grins, watching this.

“Nobody fancies him? …Right, okay. Let’s have a look.” Rankin consults a fresh Polaroid from an assistant - a test shot of the pose they’ve just attempted, a multiple pastiche of Costello’s This Year’s Model album cover – and, before passing it round to the girls, shows it to Elvis, who gazes thoughtfully at it for a moment, and then explodes into laughter. “That is great,” he breathes, gazing silently at it again when he finally stops. Then he starts laughing again until he wipes his eyes. “Ahhh,” he sighs, shaking his head, smiling, as the girls giggle around him. “That is just great.”

Book and magazine publisher, TV and film production company owner, and most famously, photographer, Rankin Waddell, 35, Scottish by birth and Londoner in life, is arguably the most well-known fashion, music and pop-culture snapper in the credible pop world. More alternative these days than Annie Leibovitz and certainly more fashionably British, Rankin is also the art director and co-founder, with business partner and editor Jefferson Hack, of Dazed And Confused magazine - arguably The Face’s only British rival, if more of an alternative, questing read, less obsessed with constantly taking the pulse of the zeitgeist. His fashion spreads are lush, surprising, off-kilter, and occasionally contentious: shoots using disabled models, stories built around the visual idea of a dead body. He has also published, via his own book imprint Vision On, a number of themed collections as well as books by other photographers, ranging from personal documentaries to an Audrey Hepburn collection.

But lately, since his landmark shoot with Madonna for her album Ray Of Light, he’s best known for his celebrity portraits. From Blur to Kate Moss to U2 – and as of last year, the Queen of England – no-one who is anyone, it seems, has not commissioned him. He is known almost universally among his subjects for being “a great laugh” to work with, and, in person, is certainly candid, mischievous, and very funny: he has that gift of making you feel at ease, without letting you know – crucially, because this would ruin the effect – that he’s going out of his way to do so. (“Photo shoots are usually not this much fun,” Elvis himself will tell me later. “Definitely not.”)

Dear Superstar: Elvis Costello

Blender, Apr/May 2002

by Phil Sutcliffe

It's a typically wet Dublin afternoon, and out on the street a familiar set of frowning eyes peers through the rain behind equally familiar black-rimmed glasses. Elvis Costello, dressed in black, briefcase in hand, guitar slung over his shoulder, pokes newfangled Euro coins into a parking meter and beetles across the road to meet Blender.

Costello is trailing an entourage of precisely nobody, not even a PR flack, his every thread labeled OWN MAN. Now 47, he has lived near Dublin with his wife, Caitlin O'Riordan, the former Pogues bassist, for 12 years. But such stability and civil demeanor hardly correlate with the Elvis Costello who first raised British and American hackles in the late '70s. Then, he looked like a bad-tempered Buddy Holly, and his attitude was as snarly and punk as Johnny Rotten's. But safety pins never suited him, and his key songs ("Pump it Up," "Watching the Detectives," "Oliver's Army") delivered generational rage with scalpel subtlety rather than wrecking-ball clangor.

Now, having spent the past decade concentrating on what he dubs "art project collaborations" with the likes of Burt Bacharach, Brodsky String Quartet and opera singer Anne-Sofie von Otter, Costello has returned to angriest-nerd form with a tough-rocking new album, When I was Cruel, his twenty-sixth overall. Costello is a legend in his living-color prime, and after giving Blender a lift in his Mercedes two-seater, he happily fields your devilishly knowledgeable questions.

"Do you have any tattoos?" (Bobbylee, Mansfield, Ohio)

Certainly not -- Filthy habit!

"You were a computer operator and a roadie when you were young. Does that mean you're practical, good at putting up shelves and so on?" (Tallricka, Austin, Texas)

[Laughs] I was never a roadie. That's a myth. But I was a computer operator at Midland Bank and Elizabeth Arden cosmetics. In the 70s, operating a computer was the ultimate bluffer's job. You wore a white lab coat and people assumed you were some kind of scientist, because you had this giant machine with twinkling lights and tapes revolving. I'd sit there with my feet up, reading the paper, writing songs and booking gigs. But to answer your question, I come from a long line of completely impractical people. My grandfather used to scotch-tape carpet to the stairs.

"I know that your son Matthew, from your first marriage, is a musician. Did you ever dissuade him from pursuing such a dishonorable profession?" (Edholiman2, Edmond, Oklahoma)

No. Music's been the family vocation for four generations. My granddad played trumpet on ocean liners and in silent-movie cinema orchestras. My dad played trumpet in a dance band. Matthew's 27 now and he's doing grand, but he's quite private. I should respect that and say no more.

"Can you sing us a bit of your dad's favorite song?" (Koozie, Lawrence, Arkansas)

Probably not. It could be anything from a piece of the Latin Mass to an old standard like "All the Things You Are" or maybe "the Fields of Athenry." He has broad taste. He was a trumpet player, so maybe I should hum you a chorus of his favorite Clifford Brown solo.

"Does anyone call you by your given name, Declan MacManus?" (Snuffinroostr, Brooklyn, New York)

My wife. A few friends here in Ireland. I don't care for anyone I don't know to walk up to me and say "Hey, Declan!" That's overly familiar and likely to get them ignored.

"What do you consider to be the greatest era in rock and roll history?" (Jeff Jojen, Memphis)

Probably 1965-66. Bob Dylan was getting very expansive verbally with Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde. The Beatles had Rubber Soul, then Revolver. It was starting to go psychedelic at the edges, but you still had the tight song structure. As good as 1977 to 1979, when I first started.

"Your beard comes and goes. Does it have a rationale?" (Billsy, Bowling Green, Kentucky)

If you don't use a razor, it grows.

"How do you feel about musicians selling their songs for ads?" (Lewis22, Chapel Hill, North Carolina)

I've turned them all down, including Nike, which wanted to use "Pump It Up" about 10 years ago. That would probably have been a million quid. My tours have never been sponsored, either. I don't work for some corporation; I work for me. I'm not against the modern world. I just don't think everything's for sale.

"What's your favorite vice now, and what was it 25 years ago?" (Dkyschreiber, St. Paul, Minnesota)

I don't have vices; I have bad habits. But 25 years ago, it was gin.

"I'm thrilled to hear that ex-Attractions Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas are on your next album. Did you ask bassist Bruce Thomas too, or will that never happen because of that nasty "novel" he wrote about the band?" (Budinsbt, Chicago)

It's nothing to do with the book. We've worked together since then. I accepted it even though I thought it betrayed any sense of loyalty. He's not on When I Was Cruel because he's bad-tempered and miserable and he doesn't concentrate.

"You're often written about as if you're a difficult person, but how cranky can you be, considering all the collaborations you've been a part of?" (shawpi72, Marshall, Texas)

You'll notice all my collaborations have been with musicians, not with journalists [laughs]. The first big one was with Paul McCartney in the late 80s. We wrote 12 songs. That set a pretty high level. I can't think of an occasion when it didn't work out.

"It's unfair that wearing hats always makes people think you're going bald, isn't it?" (Lilchickn, Detroit)

Oh, I've always liked to wear hats. I remember a picture taken of me at the Gramercy Park Hotel in New York in '77. I was affecting the young Sinatra look. Going bald is just life. Less hair, more face. I don't think anyone ever bought my records because of the way I look.

"I live in Los Angeles, where you're currently billed as an "artist in residence" at UCLA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you hated this town." (Pintobeen2, Los Angeles)

[Snorts] I did have an aversion to Los Angeles, but that was because I couldn't drive until I was 35. After that, I found the more interesting neighborhoods. The "Artist in residence" title is deceptive. I would have called it "Visiting artist". I've done precisely one appearance so far, and there are two or three more planned: a rock & roll concert in early summer and a performance of Il Sogno, the ballet score an Italian ballet company commissioned me to write.

"What do you and your wife do for fun?" (Schnapee1, Biloxi, Mississippi)

Travel. Caitlin's the adventurer in our house. She proposes these grand expeditions. I imagine reasons why it'll be a disaster. Last Easter, we went to Ethiopia. Most recently, it was South Georgia in the South Atlantic, four days from Tierra Del Fuego on a little ship. We sailed around the island, lived on the boat and went ashore in Zodiac boats. On the beach, we were surrounded by 70,000 king penguins.

"I've heard your songs in everything from The Sopranos to Notting Hill to ET: The Extra-Terrestrial. Do you enjoy hearing your music used this way?" (Ou8 17, Pomona, California)

Usually. The Sopranos used "High Fidelity" and "Complicated Shadows" as superb, intriguing dramatic extensions. I'm always impressed when someone looks deeper into the repertoire, beyond "Alison" or "Watching the Detectives". In fact, I missed a lot of opportunities early on by being too critical or ignorant. I talked myself out of providing songs for the Bob Hoskins film "The Long Good Friday" by being obnoxious and drunk.

"What's your impression of America's response to the events of last September 11?" (Skncori, Dayton, Ohio)

That's very difficult. On a personal level, I felt an abhorrence of what happened in New York. I have friends who live there; I know their children. In terms of musical response, there's been the great and the laughable. There was Neil Young's performance of "Imagine" on the [America: A tribute to heroes] telethon -- a song I can't stand made to mean something by his supernatural performance. Then you've got Alan Jackson at the Country Music Awards singing, "I'm not sure I could tell you the difference between Iraq and Iran." Well, there's the problem: America's separation from the rest of the world. A president who can't point on a map to most of the countries he's considering bombing. But I'm heartened by the number of Americans who are asking, "What's the matter with us? Where did this come from?" It's not individual Americans who have to answer; it's the corporations that tempt the governments of developing countries to buy weapons they don't need.

"Who truly understands you?" (Joenarthur, Elizabeth, New Jersey)

A handful of people, I'm sure, believe they know me. But truly? My wife. My family. A few close friends whom I would turn to for advice.

"Do you get "divine inspiration" when you're writing songs?" (r84lgs, Yuma, Arizona)

I was baptized a Catholic and I loved the Latin Mass when I was a kid, but I haven't been to church for a long time. There's some sort of order to life. And it's true I do not know where a handful of my tunes come from. Usually, I concentrate and rattle thoughts around for a long time. But sometimes the song, or part of it, will just pop out of your head in 30 seconds. I don't know if that approaches "Divinity". I suspect you can convince yourself you're "channeling" when in fact you're just ripping off someone else's style.

"Pardon my cynicism, but why are your records being reissued yet again? Is this just a ploy to get me to buy This Year's Model for the third time? (By the way, it worked.)" -prven7, Durango, Colorado

[Laughs] Well, first of all, thank you. But there are two CDs for the price of one on this edition, and we've found a lot of tracks that weren't available to us for the earlier reissues. I wanted to make a better story out of my old work. I'm offering good value, so I don't have any guilt about it.

"What's the story behind the new album's "Tear off Your Own Head (It's a Doll Revolution)"? I read it was written for a proposed WB television show about supermodel secret agents." (aswell, Mountain Home, Idaho)

Not quite. It was a record-industry satire in the guise of a spy fantasy which involved this Russian girl pop band that was trying to destabilize capitalism by spending all of the corporation's money. I was 'developing' it for nine months. Which meant taking meetings and people talking rubbish to one another until it fizzled out.

"Has your life gotten better as you've grown older?" (claysldys, Wilson, North Carolina)

I hope so! I'm not working in an office; I'm not working down a mine. I'm doing what I want to do.

"Do you wear contact lenses in real life?" (ak47, Portland, Oregon)

In real life? No. I can't bear anything touching my eyes. Horrifying. The good thing is I have an enormous nose, and glasses cut it in half.

"I opened my Rykodisc reissue of Goodbye Cruel World to find your sleeve notes telling me "congratulations! You've just purchased our worst album!" Please send me a copy of your best one to make up for it." (Thabod, Quantico, Virginia)

No. [Cackles] I was being facetious. There isn't one album I favor over all the rest. Well, I suppose sometimes it might be Imperial Bedroom. Or, in the last six weeks, King of America, because I've been performing those songs with Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris.

"What do you think of pop music these days?" (Shandylike, Stamford, Connecticut)

If you concentrate on the manufactured stuff, you'll only end up depressed. I think pop is a broad church, and from the best of hip-hop to the best of rock and roll, pop music's doing fine.

"What would you like your tombstone to say?" (rbysbike, Troy, New York)

Glug Glug Glug? I'm not even bothered if it has my name on it. I have no interest in posterity whatsoever. After you're dead, who cares?
Jack of All Parades

Thank you for that- John. Never read that one before. He was very avuncular that day! I knew it- he values IB and I can certainly empathize with his fear of things touching his eyes- fellow specs wearer that I am.