Elvis/The Imposters, Southend on Sea, 19 June 2013/ Grantham the day before

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, Southend on Sea, 19 June 2013

Post by sulky lad »

I'd like to refute any rumours that I was seen nearby with a large cheroot ! :wink:
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

The imposter wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Does anyone know what time the soundcheck is normally held? and more importantly can you get in to see it?
Soundcheck will be around 5pm I guess. I could hear them playing"Blue Chair" at Liverpool around this time..but decided against sneaking in and incurring the wrath of Elvis' crew. They may not be keen on anyone seeing the soundcheck, seeing as how they serve as a band rehearsal. I see "Blue Chair" hasn't been played at all so far on this leg of the tour, so it's overdue an appearance..very soon.

Cheers I didnt think I'd get in.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Have 2 tickets for Southend I expletively annoyingly can't use due to work. Please spread the word to anyone who might want. Cost price. I can console myself with having had 3 nights at the Albert Hall but I was looking forward to mosh pitting in Essex, as you do.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Phew ! For all those still waiting, don't panic coz my tickets have finally turned up today, so yours should be on the way ! 8)
Roll on next week..............can't wait !
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Paul B wrote:Have 2 tickets for Southend I expletively annoyingly can't use due to work. Please spread the word to anyone who might want. Cost price. I can console myself with having had 3 nights at the Albert Hall but I was looking forward to mosh pitting in Essex, as you do.
Does this mean that your partner Lindsay can't go either :lol:

My tickets are still shown as being in progress.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Verbal I am reading this, as it happens, with my partner called, ahem, Svetlana, or possibly after this 'my lady of perpetual torment'...
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Sorry to ask all, but is anyone driving or training it from London? My partner, mentioned above, doesn't want to miss the gig even though I can't go due to work (and we can't seem to get any takers for the tickets). She might appreciate a lift back or company on the train if possible. Just thought I'd ask. Feel free to reply or PM. Cheers.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Can anyone who knows the venue confirm please that the nearest railway station is Westcliff on Sea, not either of the Southend stations? I would like to avoid a long walk, as I'm also in the "standing" section. Ta

MOOT
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Westcliff & Southend Central look equidistant on Google maps
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Man out of Time wrote:Can anyone who knows the venue confirm please that the nearest railway station is Westcliff on Sea, not either of the Southend stations? I would like to avoid a long walk, as I'm also in the "standing" section. Ta

MOOT
Westcliff on Sea is definitely the best one to get off. 8) ( Saaarfend is my old home town)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

On the bus to Southend !
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

johnfoyle wrote:On the bus to Southend !
Jolly Boys outing ! :lol:
verbal gymnastics

It's a very small standing area. I've just walked right up to the front barrier with John Foyle. There are about 25 people here! I was expecting a mad scramble! :lol:
verbal gymnastics

If it stays like this we could all spin the wheel. Some of us might get a second go as well :lol:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

An edit on the wiki site suggests that "Pretty Words" was played tonight for the first time since 1981 (and only the sixth time ever).
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

And No Coffee Table wrote:An edit on the wiki site suggests that "Pretty Words" was played tonight for the first time since 1981 (and only the sixth time ever).
It was ! :wink:
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

It certainly was!!
Also Kinder Murder, Sleep of the Just, You Bowed Down, Stella Hurt
Lip Service, Girls Talk, Green Shirt, Pretty Words
Phenomenal
And Elvis was so relaxed, chatty and spontaneous
Great to be standing up - makes a difference.
Good to meet John Foyle, Verbal, MOOT and Goon Squad amongst others.
Sets the bar very high for remaining shows but let's hope he feels he
owes Basingstoke a good'n after last year!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Man out of Time

Set list as I had it from last night.

01. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
02. High Fidelity
03. Mystery Dance
04. Radio, Radio
05. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror - spin 1
Lips Jackpot- spin 2
06. Lipstick Vogue
07. Lip Service
08. She- spin 3
09. I Want You
Time Jackpot - spin 4, Phill Jupitus
10. Bedlam including Lights Out- spinner's request
11. Strict Time
12. Man Out Of Time
13. Out Of Time with Rhoda Dakhar vocal contribution
14. Everyday I Write The Book- spin 5
15. Pretty Words
16. Alison including You Win Again, Tears Of A Clown, No More Tearstained Make-Up and Martha My Dear
The Hammer Of Songs
17. Shipbuilding
18. Oliver's Army
19. Kinder Murder
20. Stella Hurt
21. Sleep Of The Just
22. A Slow Drag With Josephine
23. Jimmie Standing In The Rain / Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
24. Tramp The Dirt Down
Encore 1
25. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
26. Girls Talk
27. Watching The Detectives/Help Me
28. Green Shirt
I Can Sing A Rainbow Jackpot - spin 6
29. You Bowed Down- spin 7
30. Pump It Up
31. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? including Lights Out

A few points to note. Verbal suggested that "Lights Out" appeared at least three times as a snippet, so I may have missed it. This was included as mark of respect to local band Dr Feelgood I presume who used to perform it. In Alison, there was a song with Martha in the title as a snippet, as the spinner's name was Martha. ""Pretty Words" was played presumably as it includes the line " Millions murdered for a kiss me quick hat". On receiving a kiss from one of a pair of spinners early in the show, Elvis remarked that he should have worn his "kiss-me-quick hat". Kinder Murder has always had an Essex feel to it for me. You Bowed Down was on the wheel and spun, so not much to explain there.

Generally, this was one of the best shows I have seen on this tour. Elvis voice is lasting well although not perfect. The show had good pace, and with half the auditorium standing, there was a good atmosphere from the start, despite the show not being sold out. Phill Jupitus gave it his all dancing to Bedlam in the cage, then had to take five minutes to recover. Elvis introduced Davey's son, who also span the wheel and danced with Dixie in the cage. A good night and worth the journey. Good to meet so many forum members and of course Mr Foyle on his flying visit.

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man out of Time

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:There was article with Elvis in the local paper yesterday but I missed and I cant find it online to post it.
This one?

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/leisure/musi ... _songbook/

WHEN both your parents are musicians, life can involve an awful lot of travelling.

But when your parents are internationally-successful musicians, you end up even more well-travelled – and your geography lessons tend to be out of the back of a tourbus rather than in the classroom.

Since having kids, rocker Elvis Costello and his wife Diana Krall have had to rein in far-flung travels – slightly. But Elvis, who comes to the Cliffs Pavilion, Westcliff, next week, admits their twins, Frank and Henry do sometimes join him on his globe-trotting tour dates.

Costello, who’s based in Vancouver nowadays along with his Canadian wife, says: “They start first grade in September, so we can’t be pulling them out of school to go wherever.

“Having both your parents as working musicians will mean a lot of travelling, but we have to be considerate. They’ll still get to come on the tour bus with me when I’m out and about. That’s got to be better than taking geography, right?”

The British musician is currently writing and recording songs for a new album due to be released before the end of the year and he’s teamed up again with songwriter Burt Bacharach to work on a stage adaptation of their 1998 album, Painted From Memory, so it’s busy times.

Costello says: “We’re writing new songs, so it would be nice to write songs for that. I’m also working long term on a book of my own. It’s not fiction, but it’s not non-fiction either. I’m not writing an autobiography.

“Everyone knows that story, everyone’s an expert, so I can only tell people what they don’t know.” But it’s his past musical exploits, which will feature at his Cliffs show, and see him bringing his tried and tested Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour to town.

The popular format is less gig and more vaudeville show with glamorous showgirls and a huge spinning wheel, that an audience member is invited to come up and spin, picking out the tunes that Costello and his band, the Impostors, will play.

The unpredictable nature of the format makes it a treat for fans as they wait to see whether their favourites will come up, and means no two gigs on the tour are ever the same.

But while it’s a treat and a tease for the audience, it’s a challenge for the band, who have to be prepared to play whatever comes up next at the drop of a hat.

Costello admits “We have to be well-rehearsed. We have to have 50 songs in the pocket to even play the game.

“We’ve delved into the back catalogue a bit, so I think we have about 150 numbers we can choose from.” He and the band are susceptible to a bit of light bribery, but in the main, the wheel is the boss.

Costello says: “The wheel’s fair – until we lean on it a bit when someone tells us it’s their wedding anniversary or something.

“Mostly we let it be true and it decides. Some songs have come up twice, or even three times in a night.”

Of course, there are gasps from the audience and a few crossed fingers when the big hits – of the likes of Oliver’s Army, Alison and Watching the Detectives – get close. The unusual format gives the gigs an unpredictable feel as big numbers that might usually feature in a finale or encore come up early on in the night.

Costello says: “We never know what to expect. “You have to drop into the darkest, most emotional songs without any preparation, and one of your favourites might not get chosen for five shows.”

But he does pull rank when it comes to two numbers – Shipbuilding and Tramp the Dirt Down – which he insists on playing at each venue.

The latter, which featured on his 1989 album Spike, describes Costello wishing to live long enough to see the death of Margaret Thatcher, so he can stamp on her grave.

But he says that now the former prime minister has passed away, he feels a little differently about it.

He says that he would stamp on the grave of her ideals, but not on the grave of the woman herself.

He admits: “I have difficulty with this one.

“Two of my family had dementia-related demises, so I would never wish that on my worst enemy. “I have difficulty wishing ill on people, despite having written that song. I can’t celebrate.

“I could if it meant the death of her ideas, but they’re alive and well. That’s the difference here.

“There are few people in history you would wish death on, but there would be something pathetic, and beneath us, in celebrating the death of anyone.”

Elvis Costello
Cliffs Pavilion,
Station Road,
Westcliff.
Wednesday, June 19, 8pm.
Tickets £42.50
01702 351135

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Goon Squad wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:An edit on the wiki site suggests that "Pretty Words" was played tonight for the first time since 1981 (and only the sixth time ever).
It was ! :wink:
THAT is AWESOME! LOVE that song, and NEVER saw it! meanwhile, i was feeling a GOON SQUAD or a BIG BOYS coming tonight. cool to see him stretch out.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

For posterity's sake, here's the official site's version of the setlist.

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/151
Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Southend, England
June 19th, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars

Deep Dark Truthful Mirror - Spin 1

"Lips" Jackpot - Spin 2

Lipstick Vogue
Lip Service

She - Spin 3

I Want You - IMPROMPTU

Bedlam - Phil Jupitus' Request

"Time" Jackpot - Spin 4 Phil's Spin

Strict Time
Man Out Of Time
Out Of Time - with Rhoda Dakar

Everyday I Write The Book - Spin 5

Pretty Words - IMPROMPTU

Alison - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs

Shipbuilding

Oliver's Army - IMPROMPTU

Interlude

Kind Of Murder
Stella Hurt
Sleep Of The Just
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Tramp The Dirt Down

Finale

Chelsea
Girls Talk
Watching The Detectives
Greenshirt

You Bowed Down - Spin 6

Pump It Up
Peace, Love and Understanding
In case EC's setlister is reading, it should be "Kinder Murder"
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Azmuda wrote:Out Of Time - with Rhoda Dakar
A Rhoda Dakar appearance sounds interesting, and yet our correspondents didn't mention it. Was it not that interesting after all?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Rhoda wasn't named on stage. She came on with Phil Jupitus & his wife. Elvis was clearly surprised.
Otherwise , ditto to all MOOT said. Sorry for not contributing more here during the evening - I couldn't get online in the venue. I'll post more later.