Elvis/The Imposters, Southend on Sea, 19 June 2013/ Grantham the day before

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis/The Imposters, Southend on Sea, 19 June 2013/ Grantham the day before

Post by Man out of Time »

This will be a Revolver show, and just to whet your appetite, in case you are thinking that Southend-on-Sea is a bit out of the way, I would note that Tracie Young, for whom Elvis wrote "(I Love You) When You Sleep" is currently a DJ on Southend Radio (105.1FM) :

http://www.southendradio.com/onair/pres ... ie%20Young

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracie_Young

What do we think are the chances that "(I Love You) When You Sleep" might be one of the banners on the Wheel in Southend and that she might make a "surprise" appearance to sing it? I imagine the chances would improve if someone wrote to her to suggest this possibility.... This assumes of course that she still sings as well as DJing.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, Southend on Sea, 19 June 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

In a revival of my Costello Tourism habit I've decided to go to this show. Verbal tells me this will a 'standing' show which suits me just fine . It'll also be about half way through the U.K. tour so the band should be well into the swing of things.It'll also be good to catch up with some U.K.fans.There's also something interesting about seeing a U.K. seaside resort at the height (or not) of Summer. I've only booked flights into Southend 's quaint sounding former military airfield on the day , returning to Dublin the next day. I'm still sticking to my intention of getting a show ticket on the day....but might give into caution and buy one ahead after all!
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

I'm in too, got tickets already, so looking forward to some first rate moshing - and to seeing you and others there I hope. Standing gigs are much more sociable than seated.

I can imagine you'll even be coming in on a twin prop to the military airfield. Brief anecdote: I was on an early morning internal commuter flight to Galway quite a few years back with an already very drunk Townes Van Zandt who was on his way to the Galway Festival. The stewardess announced 'Good morning ladies and gentlemen, Captain O'Donovan and his crew would like to welcome you aboard this Aerlingus Fokker -' at which point Townes fell off his seat laughing and literally rolled down the aisle.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

johnfoyle wrote:In a revival of my Costello Tourism habit I've decided to go to this show. Verbal tells me this will a 'standing' show which suits me just fine . It'll also be about half way through the U.K. tour so the band should be well into the swing of things.It'll also be good to catch up with some U.K.fans.There's also something interesting about seeing a U.K. seaside resort at the height (or not) of Summer. I've only booked flights into Southend 's quaint sounding former military airfield on the day , returning to Dublin the next day. I'm still sticking to my intention of getting a show ticket on the day....but might give into caution and buy one ahead after all!
The airport has had a major facelift in recent years although I have not used it myself. Family and friends say its decent and you can fly to many destinations across Europe.

It is very easy to get to the Cliffs from there. The train from the airport takes only five minutes to get to Southend Victoria and the Cliffs is about ten minutes walk from there. If you want to miss the town centre out.

I haven't looked for a few weeks but there were plenty of standing tickets left.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

I see you've got your tickets already Paul B.
Mine haven't arrived yet, and they were ordered months ago when the dates came out.
Am I the only one still waiting for tickets for Southend ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I chickened out & ordered a 'standing' ticket. A polite e-mail confirmed my address & said my ticket was being posted that day.
sheeptotheslaughter

Goon Squad wrote:I see you've got your tickets already Paul B.
Mine haven't arrived yet, and they were ordered months ago when the dates came out.
Am I the only one still waiting for tickets for Southend ?

Mine haven't arrived yet either. I am sure I ordered them via the Cliffs but for some reason they are being sent by an agency.

There is a bar in Southend called The Old Hat, the last time I was there a few years back it had 'wallpaper' which featured famous people wearing hats. Including Elvis.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm going to 8 shows and haven't received any tickets yet. I usuallyreceivd them about 2 weeks before.

Tickets booked directly from the theatre usually arrive quicker.

I wouldn't worry about it - as Tom Jones said It's Not Unusual.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ticket arrived today :D :D
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

johnfoyle wrote:Ticket arrived today :D :D
Mine still not here ! :(
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Aer Lingus have just e-mailed me

Thank you for choosing Aer Lingus for your upcoming flight.

We would like to advise you of a change to your previously confirmed itinerary arising from a revision to the airline schedule

...and go on to tell me that my early afternoon flight on the day of the Southend show has been changed and I'll now arrive there at 19.05 ie. less than an hour before the stage time. Feck! Have no fear, though, I will make it!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just a note to say I've booked a earlier flight to the UK for the day of this , so I should be there well before the show and look forward to meeting some of you there.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Still no b****y tickets ! :evil: :evil:
Anyone else still waiting for theirs ? :(
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Got two last week but now only need one!
See Trading Post - have a spare if you need it!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
verbal gymnastics

I've not received mine yet but I didn't receive my RAH ones until a few days before each show.
sheeptotheslaughter

Mine still haven't arrived either. I did have a look at the email I received when I bought the tickets back in September and it says they may come in the week leading up to the show. And if I had not received them 48 hours before get in touch.

I get the feeling the show isn't going to be that well attended there is still 'three green lights' on the website for standing tickets. Sitting has almost sold out though.

Still there's eight people in my party and with the people going from here I am sure we will can make it a good atmosphere ourselves..if the tickets ever turn up.
verbal gymnastics

The less people there are, the more chance there is of spinning the wheel!

And the more floor space there is, the more I can express myself through the medium of dance :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

It's the way other people express themselves about your dancing that worries me ! :lol: :lol:
verbal gymnastics

I can imagine what they're saying... :lol:
sheeptotheslaughter

It is looking like Wednesday may well be a lovely day to spend watching the great man at the seaside. I know London is a few miles away but they are forecasting a heatwave in London up to 30 degrees. Our weather normally isn't too different.

There was article with Elvis in the local paper yesterday but I missed and I cant find it online to post it.

Does anyone know what time the soundcheck is normally held? and more importantly can you get in to see it?
sheeptotheslaughter

verbal gymnastics wrote:The less people there are, the more chance there is of spinning the wheel!

And the more floor space there is, the more I can express myself through the medium of dance :lol:

I look forward to your dancing and spinning the wheel
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Does anyone know what time the soundcheck is normally held? and more importantly can you get in to see it?
Soundcheck will be around 5pm I guess. I could hear them playing"Blue Chair" at Liverpool around this time..but decided against sneaking in and incurring the wrath of Elvis' crew. They may not be keen on anyone seeing the soundcheck, seeing as how they serve as a band rehearsal. I see "Blue Chair" hasn't been played at all so far on this leg of the tour, so it's overdue an appearance..very soon.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

I contacted See Tickets today by e-mail and they have come back saying the tickets would leave today by recorded delivery. Hopefully the same for everyone still waiting !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm seeing reports - can't 'link with this 'phone - online about a fire this afternoon near the Pavillons - has the Curse struck again!?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://twitter.com/southendtheatre
Fire extinguished and the fire brigade have left. No damage and no casualties…
We're just giving things a clean and airing the building and we will be open again shortly. Tonight's performance will continue as scheduled