Hi Guys

Pretty self-explanatory
Burhead

Hi Guys

Post by Burhead »

I just stumbled across this message board and glad I did :!:

I'm a huge Elvis fan from the States, looking forward to talking some EC with all of ya'll!

Keep on rocking!
Paul B

Re: Hi Guys

Post by Paul B »

Welcome Burhead, nice that you found us, you're in good company. Hope EC announces some more dates your side of the pond soon. Here we're still reeling from the new UK 2013 dates news today - in fact we're all doing our accounts tonight and figuring out what assets we can sell to get tickets for enough gigs to satisfy us!
Burhead

Post by Burhead »

Paul B wrote:Welcome Burhead, nice that you found us, you're in good company. Hope EC announces some more dates your side of the pond soon. Here we're still reeling from the new UK 2013 dates news today - in fact we're all doing our accounts tonight and figuring out what assets we can sell to get tickets for enough gigs to satisfy us!
Thanks for the welcome, and you guys are extremely lucky. I haven't had the honor of seeing him live so I'm hoping one day to cross that off my bucket list. Anyways while we're on the subject of music, I'm a huge 1960s rock and roll and folk fan as well. I'm probably one of the biggest Beatles fans in the world as well. One thing I want to add is you guys in the UK have produced some of the best musical talent ever. How does one nation give us groups like the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Elvis Costello, etc etc :lol:
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Well, therein lies a tale...as you may know those Brits took the music from imported black blues and rythm'n'blues records that came from your side of the pond. And then The Beatles invaded your country and sold our limey white boy version back to you guys - quite rightly you loved it, even though you had it already, albeit in a different colour. The Fab Four were swiftly followed by the Stones, The Who and, er, Herman's Hermits. The Beatles loved (and covered) the black girl groups so much that they killed their market in the US and the nostalgia circuit came rather too early for the Shirelles et al. Mose Allison, white Mississippi bluesman and favourite of EC's (and still going at 84 years of age - oh and Pete Townshend based The Who's 'My Generation' on Mose's 'Young Man Blues') summed it up well in his song 'Ever Since I Stole The Blues':

Have you heard the latest
Are you in the know
It's in the morning papers
And it's on the radio
It's even made the TV news
'White boy steals the blues'

The Jazz Police from Dixieland
Tried to catch me with the goods on hand
But when they broke down my door
I was all smiles
Cos I had already shipped them to the British Isles
It did wonders for their revenue
Ever since I stole the blues

And to get back to the subject, EC was a paid up member of the Beatles' fan club in the mid 60s. So really it all goes back to the cotton fields...
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Sorry, hope the above wasn't a conversation killer!
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Welcome from Canada

also a 60's music fan, I mean I was there in the 60's, love The Beatles and Elvis Costello too.

Have fun
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Burhead wrote:One thing I want to add is you guys in the UK have produced some of the best musical talent ever. How does one nation give us groups like the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Elvis Costello, etc etc :lol:
I totally agree! I love UK for that and some other reasons. <3 I wasn't there in the 60's... :( You guys were very lucky XD

Welcome, Burhead. :)
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM