Elvis on Diana's new album "Glad Rag Doll"

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis on Diana's new album "Glad Rag Doll"

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/th ... 6484862774

The racy side of a silky lady

THE Box, a tiny cabaret theatre in Manhattan's Lower East Side, is one of those semi-secret, glamorously decadent places that New York does so well.

Worn chaise longues, velvet curtains in need of repair and peeling wallpaper give an illicit, prohibition-era feel to a miniature burlesque palace with a reputation for the dark, the bizarre and the potentially unsanitary. Which makes it all the more surprising that Diana Krall, the fresh-faced, million-selling Canadian pianist and singer of classic jazz sophistication, is up there on The Box's stage, bashing the hell out of a piano on a jumping rockabilly tune called I'm a Little Mixed Up.

The choice of venue is significant. Krall recently finished work on Glad Rag Doll, a collection of songs she learned from her father's 78rpm record collection, and it marks the kind of dramatic shift established artists such as Krall rarely make for fear of alienating their audience. Where Krall's previous albums have been smooth and slinky, Glad Rag Doll is raw and emotional, with her piano sparring against the rough blues style of Marc Ribot, Tom Waits's guitarist of choice.

The cover shot, too, with her posing provocatively in the satin and suspenders of a Ziegfeld Follies girl, is a racy departure.

Tapping into the history of American music from the 1920s onwards, Glad Rag Doll is as torn and frayed as one of The Box's chaise longues, with radical reinterpretations of the songs turning them into anything but period pieces. Produced by Americana overlord T-Bone Burnett, an old friend of Krall's husband Elvis Costello, it's a risk that, creatively at least, has paid off. "Making this album was intense," says Krall, 46, the day after the show, looking exhausted but happy in a hotel suite a few streets from The Box. "Marc Ribot is an intense guy, and I'm attracted to intense people -- look who I'm married to -- but still, doing this album was as scary as last night's gig. It's been full-on."

If you are familiar with Krall in her day job as the classy interpreter of the Great American Songbook, Glad Rag Doll will come as a shock. These are intimate, obscure songs: the title track, for example, which was written for the 1928 movie of the same name, is about the kind of girl men want to love and leave. Recorded live and mostly using first takes, the album has a lack of preciousness that throws Krall into a whole new light.

"It's probably closer to the reality of who I am," says Krall. "My grandparents were coalminers with a piano in the front room, and this is music from tough times. But we've done it our way. When the band and I were still trying to figure out what the hell we were doing, Marc Ribot started playing this heavy, Howlin' Wolf-style blues guitar and I thought: wow. That's an interesting way to play a 20s jazz tune."

It's also a shock to see a musician as professional as Krall, who began her career playing piano in restaurants in Vancouver aged 15, let loose and work outside her comfort zone. About halfway through the show at The Box, she lost her way during a particularly tough bit of stride piano, shouted "shit", and pulled it back together again. It was one of the best moments of the night: virtuosity trumping imperfection.

"Yeah, I got myself into a little deep water," says Krall, amused at the memory. "Ribot was pushing me to play stride piano. He kept telling me to be fearless. But it was really hard. Put it this way: I wasn't thinking about the laundry, or whether I had left the iron on, when I played that. It took everything I had."

Glad Rag Doll's story begins two years ago. "I was starting to get in a rut. I didn't want to get to a certain age and just say: 'OK, this is what I'll do, and I'll do it very well from now on.' Then, one night after I had been to my dad's house for dinner, I was driving home when suddenly I felt that I had to turn back. I dug out all his old 78s, and one of them was Glad Rag Doll. And I thought the one guy who would know what to do with music from the 20s was T-Bone."

T-Bone Burnett has form as a reviver of historical American music. He's the man behind the glorious soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou?, as well as the country-tinged Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, which has been Plant's most successful album since Led Zeppelin. "I'd be calling T-Bone two days before and screaming: 'What are we doing?' " she says. "I've been working with (top jazz producer) Tommy LiPuma for 20 years, so to step outside that felt like it could be the biggest mistake of my life . . . thank God I got on with T-Bone and Marc Ribot. I called Elvis last night and told him I was worried about the gig, that I didn't know how it was going to go, and he said: 'Just remember how much fun you had making the album.' And it's true. It was a tough time because Elvis had just lost his father, and I was faced with all these questions, but it was a wonderful time."

That's the other challenge posed by Glad Rag Doll: Costello was also in the studio for much of the recording. Most of us find it difficult to work with our partners. at all. When said partner is one of the great British songsmiths, it takes the potential for major-level blowouts to a different level. "Elvis was only meant to come in and play a bit of ukulele. He ended up playing ukulele, mandolin and guitar, and doing backing singing. It was fine apart from one time when he kept looking at me like I was doing something wrong, but the key to playing this kind of music is to hear it a little differently, to approach it with your own feeling, and Elvis does that."

When she isn't reinventing her career, Krall has her life as a busy New York mum to think about. She and Costello have twin boys who have just started kindergarten near their home in the Village in Manhattan, which means that, a few hours after her showcase gig, she had to get up at 6.30am and take the kids to school. "A lot of mums wind down at around 8 and then go to bed at 10," she says. "On most nights I'm on stage, so my adrenalin peaks at around 11. Then you have to come down, and eventually you fall over. I'm basically tired all the time. And let me say, the kids are a new challenge.

"Right now I'm about to tour for six weeks and I'm struggling with it. But I never thought I'd have children until a friend said to me at dinner one night: 'Diane, you're going to be 40. Time to have children.' I realised that it's OK to be an artist and still have kids, and now Elvis and I enjoy being parents more than anything else."

Glad Rag Doll is one of those albums that is as modern as it is ancient. Some of the songs are almost a century old, but their themes -- love, loneliness, being treated badly -- could belong to Emily Blunt's next romantic comedy. Perhaps that's why Krall claims that making it was like being dosed with the elixir of youth.

THE TIMES

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mark Edwards review, Sunday Times ( London) Album Of The Week

This album has been my headphone listening for the last few days as I've been walking around and most agreeable it has been. Ms Krall's vocals are their usual curious amalgam of feeling and the atonal, appropriate to most of the songs. T Bone's delightful mix of musical genre's are , as always, a joy to hear. Marc Ribot's picking really stands out, lifting the tracks that feature them.

Elvis is all over the album, his backing vocals reminding me of his similar contribution to Squeeze's East Side Story. He does, it seems, have a whole verse to himself at the start of When the Curtain Comes Down (Hoefle/Lewis/Sherman). A male voice can be heard, bellowing out the lines in the style of a , to my ears, English musical hall MC. Who else from the personnel assembled for this album could do that turn so effectively? The same voice also does the last verse of the song.

When The Curtain Comes Down (1929) George Jessel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVwtFu2TB7c

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... originals-

Diana Krall's 'Glad Rag Doll'-The Originals

"When The Curtain Comes Down" George Jessel (1929) Jessel was a Broadway singer and actor who later became known as "US Toastmaster General" for his skills as an emcee and later in life became frequent guest on talk shows.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Great record. You can't go past the Crouch/Bellerose rhythm section.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

After many listens, I still find many of her vocal efforts on most of the tunes on this record to be too mannered and flat. She does manage to shine on a few like "Ain't No Man" and "Glad Rag Doll" but they are in the minority. Ribot is the reason I continue to listen to this record. He always manages to add a special aural and rhythmic energy to every song he plays on which thankfully is most of the songs other than the extras on the deluxe edition.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Chris is right that her singing is, as a rule, lacking in suavity. Still, this record sounds too intriguing to miss. I love the idea of obscure songs from the 20s being exhumed and respun, especially with T-Bone, Ribot and EC in tow. Too bad about the tacky cover, but I think this is next on my to-buy list.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/in ... iana-krall

(extract)

The Doc Pomus song “Lonely Avenue” moves the album forward to the Brill Building era. Did you choose that because you're a Ray Charles fan or was the song chosen purely on its own merits?

T Bone said, “Well, what about 'Lonely Avenue?'” and I was like “I'm not touching that – that's Ray Charles”. We didn't want to do it like Ray Charles. I think Elvis is on there too playing mandolino. That was just T Bone's magic on that. First of all we played it just like Ray Charles, then it went all Jack Johnson - Miles Davis kind of thing. He just let it fly and it was nice because we didn't do any fades on it – what's on the record is just what we played. The only vocal overdubs I did were on “I'm A Little Mixed Up”, otherwise everything is just whole takes of what we played, because we recorded to tape.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

God I hate that cover. What is she thinking of?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... -doll.html

26th October 2012

'I'd carry Elvis's ukulele and he'd carry me home'

Tim Nixon, The Sun

(extract)

Diana’s husband Elvis Costello couldn’t resist joining in the intoxicatingly creative process.

The singer popped in and out of the studio to contribute ukulele, guitar and vocals.

Diana says the celebratory atmosphere that was palpable throughout the sessions proved particularly cathartic for Elvis, who was still grieving the death of his father Ross MacManus.

She admits: “It’s been a very tough time for him. So this was something we did that was very joyful. He came in with his ukulele case, sat down and we just looked at each other and started laughing.

“After we’d finished recording, we’d go down to the local restaurant and hang out and laugh.

“When we were done, I’d carry Elvis’s ukulele and he’d carry me home.”
Otis Westinghouse

I found her performance on Later as tedious as the album cover, in fact I just fast forwarded. Do Elvis fans really go for her ultra dull voice? I've never once heard anything of hers that appealed.
Jack of All Parades

My brother in law knew her many years ago when they were students at Berklee College of Music in Boston. He would play with her in clubs around the city from time to time. He always thought she benefited from the mentoring of Ray Brown and that being a woman in a for the most part 'man's' profession helped her along- the anomaly of that. Like you, have always found her vocals 'flat' and rarely adventurous. On a good many of her albums her playing is too often ordinary. She just consistently stays in a safe, ultimately boring mode in her playing. Her style is competent to my ear but it never compels me to want to regularly revisit her records.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I'm interested in this album because of the combination of T-Bone and the very attractive concept (dredging up quasi-neglected material from the 1920s/30s). My hope is that her execution can be appealing enough to serve the songs. But I would never defend her as an especially interesting artist; while her playing seems to be universally respected if not beloved, her vocal phrasing is as a rule unedifying. But am I crazy to think this album represents an exception to her generally banal catalogue? Is this wishful thinking on my part?
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds fair enough, given the concept and collaborators. Her piano playing is impressive, but it's her dull voice I can't go for. She did do a duet of some classic old honky tonk blues number on the piano which was fabulous, if you dig that sort of thing.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Beautiful album, though it ends on an oddly bleak note.

I like Diana's singing. I think it serves the material well, both on this record and her usual catalogue of standards. I'm especially fond of her previous album, great after-hours listening that's not too ponderous, with some lush & lovely arrangements.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis is spotted in the audience at Ms Krall's show last night. Given the state of affairs in New York, he's probably glad to be back in the U.K. for a bit. Then again , maybe he'll be on the road in Europe with her for a while - http://www.dianakrall.com/tour.aspx

http://www.standard.co.uk/arts/music/di ... 68805.html

Diana Krall, Royal Albert Hall, SW7

Pushing the boundaries with 'heartstoppingly beautiful' melodies

John Aizlewood

31 October 2012

Probably best known as Mrs Elvis Costello, Canadian singing pianist Diana Krall has spent the past 19 years and 10 albums building a devoted cult following.

Last night, to the politely expressed delight of an audience so hushed and so reverential the atmosphere was more seminar than gig, Krall spent more than two hours showcasing her mix of exquisite tastefulness and quiet boundary-pushin’.

Indeed, such was her command of the crowd and occasion that, for her lengthy solo segment, she turned her back to the audience to face her piano and there wasn’t a hint of restlessness. A brief flirtation with Mrs Mills-style boogie-woogie piano was ill-advised, but a sumptuous caressing of Bob Dylan’s Simple Twist of Fate certainly wasn’t.

Less jazz-tinged than ever, at their best Krall and her five-man band were either lushly gorgeous or brimming with innovation. Gene Austin’s uplifting Let It Rain was dedicated to those afflicted by Hurricane Sandy; Buddy Miller’s Wide River to Cross was heartstoppingly beautiful, while the version of Tom Waits’s (Looking For) the Heart of Saturday Night swapped his growl for her sultry, come-hither vocals, without sacrificing the song’s poignancy.

Yet when they roughed up another Waits song, Temptation, and let thundering percussion lead them through Doc Pomus’s Lonely Avenue, they had energy and edge to spare.

Oddly, for all her proselytising love of this music — some of it 90 years old — and for all her geniality, Krall barely mentioned a title. As for Elvis Costello, like Hugh Laurie he watched from the shadows as she covered his Almost Blue (introduced as “written by my kids’ dad”). This, though, was his wife’s night.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds like a great show - don't think I'd have enjoyed it as much though. Simple Twist of Fate is a good choice of song. I like this well enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJObUEotZYY

But I prefer this, found from the comments on the above. Never heard of 21 year old Sarah Jarosz, but her voice accompanied only by plucked cello is an excellent rendition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJVU0ZCh4c
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks Otis - that Sarah Jarosz is something else - my 'discovery' of the week!
Otis Westinghouse

She was new to me too, but certainly has a great voice. She's very young, but has just released a second album. Was part of a BBC radio broadcast of a show celebrating the excellent Kate Rusby's 20th anniversary in the business a few weeks ago, no longer available, shame I missed it:

http://sarahjarosz.com/home
Jack of All Parades

I found her version of this Dylan song which I encountered a while ago to be very effective. You might recognize a few of the musicians accompanying her as they have had a certain connection with another musician we appreciate:

http://youtu.be/Juu18TmPEXM
Otis Westinghouse

Lovely stuff. I've seen some of those Tranastlantic Sessions on the BBC, always good. It's great how the advent of BBC4 has hugely upped the amount of decent telly music these days, e.g. Weller night last Friday. I didn't follow all the comments, but that's Jerry Douglas (on something called a kona, they say), the great Danny Thompson on bass (who I assume must have collaborated with EC along the way but not sure where!), and Donal Lunny, who definitely has.

She's a talent, ain't she? Definitely worth exploring further.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Did anyone see the live review in (I think) Uk music mag Mojo? It said Diana ended a song by banging her forearm on the keyboard which was more Mick McManus than Declan MacManus. For our overseas readers, Mick McManus was an English wrestler in the 1970's.
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Has anybody taken a stab at pinpointing a track by track listing of EC's exact contributions?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:I found her version of this Dylan song which I encountered a while ago to be very effective. You might recognize a few of the musicians accompanying her as they have had a certain connection with another musician we appreciate:

Sorry to barge in late...but wow, that may be the best version of that song in existence. :shock: A stunner.

Listening to clips of her first album, I found myself disconcerted to hear a very direct Gillian Welch influence. That shows excellent taste on Sarah's part, of course; but it also makes me feel my age! Hoo boy.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

watercamp wrote:Has anybody taken a stab at pinpointing a track by track listing of EC's exact contributions?
ukulele on "You Know — I Know Ev'rything's Made For Love"
mandola on "Lonely Avenue"
tenor guitar and background vocals on "Wide River To Cross"
ukulele and vocals on "When The Curtain Comes Down"
Jack of All Parades

Poor Deportee wrote:
Jack of All Parades wrote:I found her version of this Dylan song which I encountered a while ago to be very effective. You might recognize a few of the musicians accompanying her as they have had a certain connection with another musician we appreciate:

Sorry to barge in late...but wow, that may be the best version of that song in existence. :shock: A stunner.

Listening to clips of her first album, I found myself disconcerted to hear a very direct Gillian Welch influence. That shows excellent taste on Sarah's part, of course; but it also makes me feel my age! Hoo boy.
I definitely hear Gillian in this clip:

http://youtu.be/zVGg38_QzOI

Is it not telling how so often he gets a stellar cover from another artist? Outside of Lennon/McCartney I can think of hardly any others covered so well. Maybe Lamont, Dozier and Holland. Each new generation just seems to gravitate to him, so strong is his 'pull' in the musical tide. And his material is so adaptable as he gives evidence every year of the NET.

Here is a jazz take on a familiar song that caught my interest awhile back-

http://youtu.be/O-4E7JSDRcg