Elvis UK Tour 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: Elvis UK Tour 2013

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I am still waiting for mine for Southend. Hurry up.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Is the rest of that sentence "to become a decent football team again"?
...er no,clue is in your use of the word "again"

- they never were in the first place :D :D :D
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

The imposter wrote: I phoned "The Ticket Factory" today, to be told the tickets had finally been printed and had surprisingly been posted today.
Mr I. best thanks for making that call, ours arrived today - yippee.

See you in the Fly in the Loaf http://www.flyintheloaf.co.uk/ a brief stroll uphill away from the Phil

Colin Top Balcony
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Top balcony wrote:
The imposter wrote: I phoned "The Ticket Factory" today, to be told the tickets had finally been printed and had surprisingly been posted today.
Mr I. best thanks for making that call, ours arrived today - yippee.

See you in the Fly in the Loaf http://www.flyintheloaf.co.uk/ a brief stroll uphill away from the Phil

Colin Top Balcony
I've heard word from UK that there was a delivery today :) I Fly back to UK next Wed for the gigs. A meeting sounds great. I'll no doubt see you there Colin !
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've booked most of mine through Seetickets and Ticketmaster who tend to send tickets around 2 weeks before the show.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

EDIT: Found a good home for it, it's gone.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the Tuesday 4th June show at the Royal Albert Hall as work are sending me to Singapore. I have one (1) spare ticket in the 5th row centre stage if anyone is interested. Arena F/5 19. £45 (face value) or nearest offer.
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Post by HopeYou'reHappyNow »

I hoped he would do Glastonbury and he is. I guess that makes seven times in June.

Have only actually physically received tickets for Southend so far. They're leaving the Albert Hall gigs late to send out the tickets.
"But look at yourself
You'll see you're still so young
You haven't earned the weariness
That sounds so jaded on your tongue"
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

I'm still waiting for Blackpool tickets so far as the Edinburgh ones I collect on the day. Gateshead and RAH tickets came out pretty quickly.
verbal gymnastics

I guess it depends who you booked through.

Canterbury and Basingstoke were really quick as I booked directly.

No other tickets apart from Birmingham. Seetickets sends a dispatch email. I need to log in to
Ticketmaster.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:I am still waiting for mine for Southend. Hurry up.
Me too ! :roll: :evil:
verbal gymnastics

I logged into Seetickets and it says they are still awaiting tickets from the promoter.

I haven't logged I to Ticketmaster as the 2 shows I booked are not until later on in June.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Like Diana Ross I'm still waiting.

Thanks Verbal I got mine through seetickets at least I know what the situation is with them. I think the email I received from them said I may not get the tickets until the week before.

I thought I actually bought the tickets via the Cliffs at the time. I've treated Mrs Sheep to the Bryan Ferry gig at the Cliffs and those tickets were delivered within a week.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

My tickets for RAH and Basingstoke arrived ages ago, but I booked direct with the venues, by phone, which gave me much better seats than were offered by the usual online ticket sites. Also, I was very lucky and managed to get my RAH tickets upgraded today, by ringing the RAH and just asking if there were any cancellations, so I will go the same route in future as I've struck lucky more than once with this method.

Re Bryan Ferry, I think your wife will enjoy that concert. I saw him perform at Hyde Park last year - the man has still got "it"! Considering his age he's in great shape, much like EC, and he made sure to do plenty of his old hits so went down well with the crowd.
verbal gymnastics

Still no sign...
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

I am re-posting...pardon me if this is troublesome...I have 2 tix for next thursday 6 June show for Royal Albert Hall...Row 5 on the floor...in front of the stage...

I cant make the show...I am stuck here in the US...but can ship the tix to a welcome home in the UK...

Let me know if interested

Cheers
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A promo interview for the tour: http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/music ... -1-2949793

Elvis Costello on his new tour and Thatcher’s death

There are admirers who would attach the label ‘national treasure’ to Elvis Costello without hesitation.

The British singer-songwriter earned his place in the history of popular culture over three decades ago with the anthemic Oliver’s Army, and although the hits have been few and far between in recent years, he remains one of the bigger names in British rock and pop. A new Elvis Costello offering is still an occasion, although more so for the committed fan these days. The 1980s were awash with hit album after hit album – Get Happy!, Trust, Almost Blue, Imperial Bedroom, Punch The Clock, Goodbye Cruel World, King of America, Blood & Chocolate, and Spike – whereas in recent years the titles of Costello’s latest works have not quite tripped off the tongue. Another is due at the end of this year.

He embarks on a 22-date UK tour tonight with his backing band, The Imposters, starting in Birmingham, taking in three nights at the Albert Hall, a stop-off in Edinburgh, then moving on to Hyde Park and Glastonbury. But perhaps the most intriguing Costello moment of the year came two months ago, when a song he released 24 years ago was thrust back into the public consciousness and attracted sudden negative publicity.

Tramp The Dirt Down featured on 1989 album Spike, and finds Costello hoping he lives long enough to see the death of Margaret Thatcher. When they finally put you in the ground, I’ll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down.

The title of the song was Tweeted by George Galloway in the immediate aftermath of the dementia-stricken Thatcher’s death, and the Respect Party MP found himself attacked for showing a lack of respect. It also brought Costello into the spotlight, and his ‘national treasure’ status looked questionable. As emotions ran high, some would have cast him as public enemy. The songwriter now acknowledges that time, and personal experience, changes our outlook.

“I have difficulty with this one,” he says. “Two of my family had dementia-related demises, so I would never wish that on my worst enemies. I have difficulty wishing ill on people, despite having written that song. I can’t celebrate. I could if it meant the death of her ideas, but they’re alive and well. That’s the difference here. There are few people in history you would wish death on, but there would be something pathetic, and beneath us, in celebrating the death of anyone.”

He adds that it’s easy for songwriters to get very self-important about their work but, with time, he’s come to accept that whatever he writes will only affect certain people – normally the people who are listening anyway. “Tramp The Dirt Down was never going to affect Norman Tebbit,” he says of the former Employment Secretary who told the unemployed to get on their bikes, as his father had done, and look for work. “It was never going to affect him because he was never going to listen to it. It wasn’t going to sway him and make him change his mind, and he’s still out there today, pontificating. There’s always this argument that these rich musicians don’t have the right to express what they feel. But yes, yes we do, we’re allowed to express ourselves. We’re not asking anything of anybody, and there are contradictions in songs that are about complicated issues. I wanted them to be there, because it wasn’t black and white. Nothing ever is.”

While the storm blew up around how to mark the former Prime Minister’s death, Costello was elsewhere. The 58-year-old, who was born in London and spent the 1970s in Liverpool, now splits his time between the United States and Canada. New York City has been a sort of home to him for the past nine years. He stays there when he’s working, while the rest of his time is spent at home in Vancouver with his wife, Canadian singer Diana Krall, and their twin sons, Henry and Frank.

Now the boys, born at the end of 2006, are of primary-school age, Costello and Krall have had to become a little more settled. “They start first grade in September, so we can’t be pulling them out of school to go wherever,” he says. “Having both your parents as working musicians will mean a lot of travelling, but we have to be considerate. They’ll still get to come on the tour bus with me when I’m out and about. That’s got to be better than taking geography, right?”

It’s a busy time for Costello, who’s currently writing and recording songs for a new album that will be released before the end of the year, while he’s again working with master songwriter Burt Bacharach on a stage adaptation of Painted From Memory, their 1998 album. He hopes it will develop over the 12 months and end up on stage in “the next few years”.

“We’re writing new songs, so it would nice to write songs for that. I’m also working long term on a book of my own,” says Costello. “It’s not fiction, but it’s not non-fiction either. I’m not writing an autobiography. Everyone knows that story, everyone’s an expert, so I can only tell people what they don’t know.”

Much more imminently, he and his band, The Imposters – essentially the backing band of his 1980s heyday, The Attractions, with one or two different members – are bringing the Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour to the UK again. It’s a gimmick that dates back to Costello gigs in the 1980s, and its inclusion on last year’s tour and the reception the shows received surprised everyone – most of all Costello himself – so they’re back for a bigger trip this time.

“We thought we’d just be able to go to the places we missed last spring,” says Costello. “We’re doing that, but the cities we played want to see us again, too. The shows were brilliant last time around, the atmosphere at each really special, so we can’t wait to do it again.”

There is a special feature to the Spinning Songbook gigs – a giant wheel loaded with the names of 50 of Costello’s songs. A member of the audience is invited up to spin the wheel, and the band have to play whichever song it lands on. There are showgirls on stage, and the lucky audience member can either stay up there in a cage to dance alongside the band – many do – or sit in a more relaxed area at the back and drink cocktails.

It has more in common with old-fashioned vaudeville than a standard rock’nroll concert, while the wheel serves up interesting combinations of songs, eschewing the normal pacing of a planned set list. “We have to be well-rehearsed. We have to have 50 songs in the pocket to even play the game,” says Costello. “We’ve delved into the back catalogue a bit so I think we have about 150 we can choose from.

“The wheel’s fair, too, until we lean on it a bit when someone tells us it’s their wedding anniversary or something. Mostly, we let it be true and the wheel decides. Some songs have come up twice or even three times in a night.”

Naturally, there are gasps when the wheel approaches any of Costello’s biggest hits – Oliver’s Army, Alison, Watching The Detectives, Everyday I Write The Book or Pump It Up. Often what would normally be a ‘finale’ song or form part of an encore will be chosen right at the top of a show.

“The wheel has made us play the older songs better, and we never know what to expect,” says Costello. “You have to drop into the darkest, most emotional songs without any preparation, and one of your favourites might not get chosen for five shows.”

And despite his reservations, if the arrow lands on Tramp The Dirt Down, he’ll still play it.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Thanks for posting.

So does the wheel now have 50 songs on it - I hope so.

Also will Tramp the Dirt Down be relegated to a slot on the wheel. Personally I'd like to see it left out of the show altogether.

Roll on Friday night when these and other questions will be answered... :lol:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

verbal gymnastics wrote:So does the wheel now have 50 songs on it - I hope so.
I doubt that the wheel has got any bigger or that the banners are any smaller, so it is likely that it will still have 40 titles on it, not 50.

As we know, there are more banners available than there is space on the wheel, so there will be some banners that come and go and other constants. Of course, some banners are not specific to a single song. "Joanna" usually leads to two or three piano based songs, "Time" leads to two or three songs with that word in the title and so on, so perhaps 40 banners can signify 50 songs.

Whether TTDD is on the wheel or not, there will still be audience members calling for it, in the way they do for Alison or Oliver's Army. I shall be interested to see whether it is played, possibly before or after Shipbuilding, and if so what EC says about it.

Less than 24 hours to go until Symphony Hall. :D

MOOT
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

krm wrote:Cardiff equals Dave Edmunds equals Girls Talk!
Spot on, KRM, as it turned out. Introduced tonight as a song that was a hit for "The King of Monmouth" :D

MOOT
krm

Post by krm »

Any new cool T-shirts for sale at the merch table this year?
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

From what I saw, very similar to last year, just with the year changed.

I wish they'd do some stuff with up to date photos of Elvis, rather than using so many pictures from decades back. He's still an attractive man, in some ways more so now than the early days, when he was thinner but somewhat nerdy, so I don't see why he doesn't use his current image on the merchandise. (Also, his teeth look better now than they did years ago - he's clearly had some work done on them, which gives him a better smile now.)

What do others think about the merchandise?
krm

Post by krm »

strange tour - one week and six shows later and not a single sign of a recording somewhere.....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I know someone who has recorded them all so far safely ( :wink: ) but I've heard that he apparently is in the throes of moving house and can't spare the time to up them to dime, but he assures me that all have been preserved for posterity. Now if anyone wants to trade a few hours shifting boxes for a recording :lol:
krm

Post by krm »

:D
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:I know someone who has recorded them all so far safely ( :wink: ) but I've heard that he apparently is in the throes of moving house and can't spare the time to up them to dime, but he assures me that all have been preserved for posterity. Now if anyone wants to trade a few hours shifting boxes for a recording :lol:
That's very selfish. Moving house only affects you and Mrs Sulky. The uploading of the shows is for the benefit of the world! :lol:

I'd love to help you with your packing but I'm seeing Elvis 4 times around the time you move and the Board needs my show reviews and devastating wit and repartee!