sweetest punch

Elvis solo, Arcata (CA), Sep 26, 2012

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/dance-card

Sep 26, 2012
Arcata, California, USA
Van Duzer Theatre
Tickets on sale July 23rd, 2012
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Re: Elvis solo, Arcata (CA), Sep 26, 2012

Post by docinwestchester »

sweetest punch wrote:http://www.elviscostello.com/#/dance-card

Sep 26, 2012
Arcata, California, USA
Van Duzer Theatre
Man, Elvis' management is finding some very small towns in No. Cal. to showcase his talents. Looks like it is a college town, the home of Humboldt State University:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcata,_California

"Forgotten man of an indifferent nation, waiting on a platform at a California (?) station"
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

docinwestchester wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:http://www.elviscostello.com/#/dance-card

Sep 26, 2012
Arcata, California, USA
Van Duzer Theatre
Man, Elvis' management is finding some very small towns in No. Cal. to showcase his talents. Looks like it is a college town, the home of Humboldt State University:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcata,_California

"Forgotten man of an indifferent nation, waiting on a platform at a California (?) station"
Carefull now!- you are dangerously courting the ire of a prior poster who could well be on you like a hellion for even considering intimating that our man's current career path, or at least venue path, could be anywhere mirroring the protagonist of that tremendous song. Ridiculous as that notion might be.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Tickets: http://www.humboldt.edu/centerarts/elvis-costello
This venue seems to have 800 seats and people like Richard Thompson and Alison Krauss are also playing there next season.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

docinwestchester wrote:Forgotten man of an indifferent nation, waiting on a platform at a California (?) station"
This is the artist who pretty much sold out two consecutive nights at the Royal Albert Hall in London last month (capacity 5,500).

If Elvis were only playing shows in cavernous barns, sports arenas or outdoor festivals, we would surely be moaning about that. The best show I ever saw Elvis play was in 2007 in the 300 capacity "New Picket" club in the backstreets of Liverpool where Elvis, Allen Toussaint and his band and the Crescent City Horns took to a stage which was so small they could barely move. The guitar technicians had to have an area in front of the stage roped off so that they could get to Elvis to hand him guitars.

Elvis has clearly decided he wants to travel less and play more, so there will be some small venues and some larger ones. Maybe he can take the boys to Disneyland or Universal Studios? If you live in that part of the world, or can get to it, take the opportunity to see him up close and personal....

MOOT
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Man out of Time wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:Forgotten man of an indifferent nation, waiting on a platform at a California (?) station"
This is the artist who pretty much sold out two consecutive nights at the Royal Albert Hall in London last month (capacity 5,500).

If Elvis were only playing shows in cavernous barns, sports arenas or outdoor festivals, we would surely be moaning about that. The best show I ever saw Elvis play was in 2007 in the 300 capacity "New Picket" club in the backstreets of Liverpool where Elvis, Allen Toussaint and his band and the Crescent City Horns took to a stage which was so small they could barely move. The guitar technicians had to have an area in front of the stage roped off so that they could get to Elvis to hand him guitars.

Elvis has clearly decided he wants to travel less and play more, so there will be some small venues and some larger ones. Maybe he can take the boys to Disneyland or Universal Studios? If you live in that part of the world, or can get to it, take the opportunity to see him up close and personal....

MOOT
Totally agree, MOOT. I was just having some fun with lyrics, really. Our Elvis is in no danger of becoming a "half-cut cowboy", that's for sure.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Any news?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

26 September, 2012
Arcata, CA
Van Duzer Theatre

(onstage: 8:01pm)

(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Either Side Of The Same Town
Can't Get Used To Losing You
Brilliant Mistake
My Little Blue Window
Everyday I Write The Book
Bedlam
(sits)
One Bell Ringing
All Or Nothing At All
Walking My Baby Back Home
(unsits)
Watching The Detectives -- (studio take intro. -- onstage loops)
Black And White World
Veronica
New Amsterdam / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Church Underground
Suit Of Lights
My Three Sons

(encore)
For More Tears -- (on keyboards)
("You're Gonna Make A Fool Of Me, Johnny") -- (?)

(encore)
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain -- (w/ Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?)
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love & Understanding?
Pump It Up -- (on JazzMaster -- tape loop attempt)
Alison -- (off mic)

(offstage: 9:49pm, approx.)
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I have a sense that I may have missed a song.
Perhaps at the end of the first encore segment.

I'm not sure.
Last edited by Dr. Luther on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

A few photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 893&type=1

Elvis' pre-show shopping at People's Records, Daisy Drygoods, and Northtown Books has also been thoroughly documented on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 4313926894
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 4335096894
http://www.facebook.com/NorthtownBooks/ ... 2995996555
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Thanks again Dr for the set list - enjoyable show?

I do wish those people on Facebook would show a little more discretion when they see someone shopping. Autographs and pics ok if situation's appropriate but this almost immediate posting and near real time tracking is intrusive and borderline. Call me old fashioned, etc...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Anything said to go with the andy williams tribute?
signed with love and vicious kisses
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Dr. Luther, did you get any sense of whether "You're Gonna Make A Fool Of Me, Johnny" was an original or a cover?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

so lacklustre wrote:Anything said to go with the andy williams tribute?
Maybe a little something, immediately following.
It was inaudible to me, as I was too engaged being the first to shout "Andy!" to prove my coolness.

It may have been: "That's for Andy Williams".
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

And No Coffee Table wrote:...did you get any sense of whether "You're Gonna Make A Fool Of Me, Johnny" was an original or a cover?
I'm sure that it was a cover.
(But, then again, I've Been Wrong Before.)
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Looking very coastal in the FB pics... Where are the Fisherman's Friend cough drops? He'll need that jacket for Golden Gate Park if this fog continues to linger.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Dr. Luther wrote:("You're Gonna Make A Fool Of Me, Johnny") -- (?)
I am now reasonably certain that this was:

I Believe To My Soul
written/recorded by Ray Charles
also recorded by Donny Hathaway, Van Morrison, and others

Oops.
I probably should have known.
(I was pretty fucking drunk...)

Also:
I neglected to mention that it was performed on the keyboard.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.arcataeye.com/2012/10/on-the ... er-4-2012/

On The Arcata Beat With Elvis Costello – October 4, 2012

DOWNTOWN – English musician/composer Elvis Costello did his part to support Arcata’s economy Wednesday afternoon, Sept. 26, prior to that evening’s performance at Humboldt State for CenterArts.

What rapidly turned into a “huge Elvis Costello buzz” on the Plaza began when Northtown Books posted details of his patronage on Facebook:

“Elvis Costello just left with a Northtown books bag full of some exciting kids books, a music magazine and the dozens: a history of rap’s mama. What a guy!”

His next stop was next door at Daisy Drygoods, where he purchased an old-fashioned Guide for the Modern Guitarist that dated back to the 1940s or so, plus some 1920s sheet music. He told employee Kassie Carpenter that the guitar book “will be my bible.”

As he left the store, he was met by a reporter, who turned into a gibbering fanboy and told him all the things fans usually say – “Your music meant so much to me…” etc.

Meanwhile, Carpenter called her father, a huge Elvis fan who had seen him perform in Chico the previous night. He urged her to go out and get his autograph, which she did.

Costello then asked where he could get a good cup of coffee, and was sent to Café Brio. On the way, he stopped at People’s Records and bought a Stax Records 45 box set, a King Tubby 45 box set and a Funk and Soul album cover book.

That night, the eclectic troubadour –ranked by Rolling Stone magazine as No. 80 in its list of the “100 Greatest Artists of All Time” – enthralled a sold-out house with a soulful solo show at HSU’s Van Duzer Theatre.

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for this site/this topic.

Has anyone please EC 'Can't get used to losin' you' and 'I believe to my soul' to share please - - still no sign elsewhere for me e.g. torrents/YouTube of these. Thanks.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.