"The Wrath Of Elvis": Who got it on the Revolver Tour?

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

"The Wrath Of Elvis": Who got it on the Revolver Tour?

Post by docinwestchester »

When directing the spinners over to the Society Lounge, Elvis often took verbal jabs at various celebrities and media institutions. His rant about the Jubilee for the Queen at the last show in Amsterdam was particularly funny: Sir Elton should have played "The Bitch Is Back", Sir Paul shouldn't have played "Live And Let Die" for an 86 year old, something about Andrew Lloyd Weber which I couldn't understand.

It got me thinking about who got a bit of the business from EC during this tour:

Donald Trump
Glenn Beck
Fox News
The Queen
BBC
Andrew Lloyd Weber
I think he also mentioned various failed Republican candidates (Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, etc.)

Others?
Pigalle

Re: "The Wrath Of Elvis": Who got it on the Revolver Tour?

Post by Pigalle »

Here in Britain:

Rupert Murdoch
Rebekah Brooks (the Sun headline story - Rebekah Brooks accused of being a pervert - was particularly funny)
David (Thatcher) Cameron
Noddy a.k.a. George Osbourne
Doris (Boris) Thatcher (Johnson)
Tony Thatcher (Blair)
John Thatcher (Major)
HM The Queen
Chelsea and Manchester United (the five fingers joke)
The Olympics (after 1936...)

and then there was the Prince Charles impersonation of his weather forecast that was understood in Glasgow but nowhere else.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

The main focus of his wrath on the UK leg seemed to focus on The Leveson inquiry or more specifically Rupert Murdoch, Rebekah Brooks and The Sun newspaper in general. You could substitite all Fox News references for Sky News and include every British Prime Minister from Thatcher to the present date. ( He infers that they are all related; same school anyway!) There was also the hilarious comparison of The British Chancellor (George Osborne) with Noddy!
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Ha ha ha, "Doris" Thatcher and Noddy!!! Yes it is quite amusing when he lays into the politicians in that way! :lol: I rather like it that he still has a bit of an edge about him and hasn't forgotten his roots, despite the fact he is probably quite comfortably off these days. He seems like a very genuine sort of person, who's honest in his dealings with his fans and journalists alike.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Who got it on the UK leg of the Revolver Tour? As rightly pointed out already, largely the leftovers and bequests of that 'bitter and unpleasant decade', the 1980s. It was the last time Elvis was really based in these isles and the formative years, one would reckon, for many of us here. How splendid that his visit should coincide with the Leveson Inquiry, scraping off some of the veneer and facade of these people to reveal the venality, and lack of both shame and courage, beneath. Not that any of us didn't know.

And EC, well...Pills and Soap anyone? Released and deleted just before the 1983 'war' election, taking angry swipes at both the Murdoch press and the politicians. Elvis on Channel 4 before the vote decrying in pity how even working class people would vote for Thatcher, the baser methods and, as is now laid bare, explicit political dealmaking of the press channeling them to vote against their own interests. Shipbuilding from the same war. Tramp The Dirt Down from the subsequent election and the ravages that her politics wrought on actual people. 20% Amnesia, referencing how the mass voted Major back, in yet another subsequent election, when he'd cut the top earners' tax by that figure. I mean I'm almost surprised he didn't play Fish'n'Chip Paper, with a few changed lines about phone hacking...

Our American and other abroad board members may or may not know the extent to which the Leveson Enquiry has been a moment of release for any even vaguely left thinking person who lived these years here*. And Napoleon Dynamite joyfully brought it home. It was good (no, great) to have EC back with us for a bit of it because my god he felt it too.

* (I mean, you only had spaceman Ronnie, right...?!)
Last edited by Paul B on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

great post Paul B! I'll second all of the above although like Elvis, I left the UK a good few years ago, I still went to a couple of the UK shows.
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

I vaguely recall a crack or two regarding Mittens Romney.