sweetest punch

Elvis solo, Santa Barbara (CA), Sep 30 , 2012

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/dance-card

Sep 30, 2012
Santa Barbara, California, USA
The Granada Theatre
Tickets on sale August 18th, 2012
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis solo, Santa Barbara (CA), Sep 30 , 2012

Post by Man out of Time »

Venue website here:

https://artsandlectures.sa.ucsb.edu/Det ... rfNum=2524

Apparently you should call the box office (805) 893-3535 .

Does anyone know who the sponsor - Liza Rassner - is or why she should be the sponsor?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This blinding image appears on Elvis' Facebook page -

Elvis Costello returns to the performing arts centers and theatres of California this month with a solo performance with the intriguing title, "2054 - The Centenary Show"... Tickets on sale now: http://bit.ly/MC3nF5
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

This suggests its being broadcast on radio:
http://blogs.kcrw.com/musicnews/2012/09 ... this-week/
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Ulster Boy wrote:This suggests its being broadcast on radio:
http://blogs.kcrw.com/musicnews/2012/09 ... this-week/
How so? It looks like they're sponsoring the show, but.....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
bil1cat

Post by bil1cat »

i'll be there
woz

Post by woz »

I'll be there. Not sure what to expect but I'm sure it will be great.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Preview/interview:

Elvis Costello Keeps the Fans on Their Toes
Thursday, September 27, 2012
By Aly Comingore

It’s been 35 years since Elvis Costello released his debut album, My Aim Is True, for Stiff Records, and contemporary tastemakers are still singing its praises. Not that long ago, mega-huge music blog Pitchfork referred to Aim as “the most impressive debut in pop-music history.” In 2003, VH1 proudly dubbed it the 80th greatest album ever made, further proving that good music, quite simply, never goes out of style.

This Sunday, Costello returns to town for a solo set at the Granada Theatre as part of his 2054: The Centenary Show tour. “It’s a lighthearted way of saying that the show can contain anything,” Costello explained recently via phone. “In that respect, it’s really not that different from the Spinning Songbook show, except there’s no big piece of carnival apparatus to make the selections. Instead, I’m making them.”

Costello is, of course, referring to his preferred means of touring with his band The Imposters, whereby he spins a Wheel of Fortune–style wheel of song titles in order to determine the night’s on-the-fly set list. But ask those who caught Costello during his 2010 solo jaunt, and they’ll tell you that, even without the band, Elvis is well worth the price of admission. Why? Because left to his own devices, he will gladly go anywhere.

“I like that feeling of spontaneity, and I wanted to retain it even when I’m playing the solo shows,” he said of the set he’ll bring to Santa Barbara. “I don’t even have to ask anyone’s opinion! I thought, just let some songs select themselves, and they will find their kin amongst my repertoire, if you know what I mean. Over the years, you might return to themes or have two different views of the same subject that were written 20 years apart. I’m letting that be my guide.”

With a career that runs the gamut from pop to jazz to country and stretches over 27 albums, fans can expect pretty much anything from Costello. Of late, the bespectacled and besuited icon has been on a bit of a country kick, recording in Nashville alongside songwriter, producer, and friend T Bone Burnett for 2009’s Secret, Profane & Sugarcane and 2010’s National Ransom. Most recently, though, he’s been touring hard, as well as contributing to wife Diana Krall’s upcoming album, also produced by Burnett.

“T Bone has a feeling for music that’s just so strong,” Costello said. “He never has the arrogance of placing himself between the music and the artist … and that’s at the root of every great record you hear.”

And Costello knows a thing or two about great records. Last time he swung through town, fans were treated to an intimate and lengthy set that ran the gamut of his musical accomplishments ​— ​from “Watching the Detectives,” “Veronica,” and “So Like Candy” to a selection of My Aim Is True highlights. Instrumentally, Costello’s prowess is no less impressive. Armed with an arsenal of guitars, he can not only fill a room but also create a backdrop worthy of his lyrical compositions.

“We’re doing a good deal of pretty well-known songs,” Costello emphasized, “but after a number of years, you don’t want to presume that’s all people want to hear from you. Emboldened by those totally random shows, I feel like there is a lot of music to be played, and I don’t think anyone will walk away feeling cheated.”

Add to that the pristine acoustics and stunning beauty of the Granada Theatre, and you’ve got a night that’s, well, right on target.
And No Coffee Table

Great show! I sat near Jeff Bridges.

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Either Side Of The Same Town
03. Blame It On Cain
04. Bullets For The New-Born King
05. Veronica
06. American Without Tears
07. Last Boat Leaving
08. New Amsterdam / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
09. Everyday I Write The Book
10. One Bell Ringing
11. All Or Nothing At All
12. Ghost Train
13. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
14. Watching The Detectives - including Down By The River
15. Black And White World
16. Our Little Angel
17. Stella Hurt
18. Church Underground
19. Suit Of Lights
Encore 1
20. For More Tears - on keyboard
21. I Believe To My Soul - on keyboard
22. Who's The Meanest Gal In Town Josephine - on ukulele
23. A Slow Drag With Josephine
24. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
Encore 2
25. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
26. Alison - off-mic
27. I Hope - off-mic
28. Sulphur To Sugarcane
29. I Want You

There are at least two recordings. Expect at least one to appear on Dime soon.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Nice recording. Couldn't help noticing the very early show time. Elvis on stage at 19 11 and all over by 21 30 ! Was there any reason for this ? A curfew perhaps ? Seems more draconian than even the UK, where people are allowed to enjoy themselves till at least 2230 :) ..on a weekend.
And No Coffee Table

The show ended right at 9:30 and they were very quick to turn the house lights on, so yes, it looked to me like a 9:30 curfew.
chester99

Post by chester99 »

I was looking forward to seeing EC. However, the sound crew were complete idiots. Maybe, they didn't do a sound check but the first three tunes were all high end noise. I was told that's how the guitar sounds. What? Wait, the low end is really important for EC... he does a lot of first inversion chords stuff that was completely masked. How hard is it to do sound for a singer/guitar player? Whew... it got better after three songs but then the low end was too pronounced. I've seen Richard Thompson live many times and his sound is perfect. Someone in his crew really f'd up.

Maybe, it's the Granada in SB. ???

Great concert otherwise... except for the songs that go on and on. EC was wearing in-ear monitors and couldn't hear the audience feedback for most of the show... He did finally do some some songs without the in-ear monitors. Those were great moments. He sang in tune.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=100969

Elvis Costello Report
By Robert Bernstein

Elvis Costello gave an unbelievable two and a half hour non-stop solo concert on Sunday evening! The event was held at the Granada Theater and was sponsored by UCSB Arts and Lectures.

The event was part of his amusingly titled "Centenary Tour 2054". The tour would happen on his 100th birthday. But, in the event that we won't be around in 2054 for that concert he was being kind enough to do the exact same concert here and now!

He played a full range of songs, including his popular hits and lesser known pieces. They spanned his entire career, right up to the present, including at least one song not yet released.

He paused a number of times to reflect on his upbringing in a musical family. His own father was a singer, too. He talked of his father playing in Blackpool, England. "Which is like Las Vegas without the gambling or the hookers." What it had in common was lights (Blackpool Illumination) and performances. His father was color blind and he had to be reminded not to wear the wrong colors in a place where Orange and Green represented the Protestants and the Catholics, respectively.

He had just lost his father last year and he had many fond memories. He sang "Ghost Train" in memory of his father.

He went on to say how much he misses his wife (Diana Krall) while on tour. He sang "Walking My Baby Back Home" to honor her.

As much as the audience was enjoying his performance, he seemed to be enjoying it even more! The show started a bit after 7PM, right on time. And at 8:40 he began a series of encores that ran until 9:30PM! He was having a lot of fun making local references to the Santa Barbara area in his patter and even putting them into some songs.

If not for other constraints, it felt as if he would have been happy to keep on performing for us all through the night! A most enjoyable experience!

Photos: http://swt.org/events/elviscostello2012/

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.