Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
Paul B

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 27 May '12

Post by Paul B »

Having seen three shows last week inc Cambridge I'd not be too surprised if Elvis woke up frankly feeling a little bit flattened on Sunday morning - if he will insist on spending 3 hours most nights pitting his voice against the aural storm of the Imps...

I'm very sad for our friends in Basingstoke but I'm sure he'll keep his promise to reschedule - and here's hoping there's a dividend for the rest of us in terms of more UK shows. He's on such a roll, the press and public reaction to this visit has been uniformly ecstatic, a return would multiply that momentum (EC and his management please take note) - and what's more everyone here would buy tickets for multiple shows (EC and his management please take our notes - on condition that the fan pre-sales actually include tickets vaguely near the front). Amen.
Last edited by Paul B on Mon May 28, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

I'm sure he will re-schedule as I would imagine that a venue like the Anvil is quite a nice change from the larger 'barns'.
I guess that the new date will have to be part of another leg of the Revolver tour as otherwise it would mean transporting the Wheel, bar and cage for a one-off rather than having it all ready to go.
It really was a shame about Sunday, but It is only the Third time this has happened to me in 35 years of following him.
I notice that the end of the current tour leaves quite a gap between 10th June and Cornbury but I expect it would be impossible to juggle the logistics of such short notice.
Luckily I got to see him in Bournemouth, plus a double wheel spin. !!!!
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

Perhaps 1 July is a possibility (fingers crossed) the day after Cornbury, nothing on at The Anvil and its not that far from Cornbury.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

If anyone can't go to a rescheduled Anvil - please offer me your tickets!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

JONPD wrote:Perhaps 1 July is a possibility (fingers crossed) the day after Cornbury, nothing on at The Anvil and its not that far from Cornbury.
I suspect it will be rescheduled within a series of dates for much later in the year. But 1st July is good for me Elvis. :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

I think you mean Saturday 7th July VG. That'd make it a nice birthday treat for me 8)
verbal gymnastics

I can't make it on 7th - it's my mate's 50th birthday party.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

The Anvil have got The Basingstoke Carers pantomime (Peter Pan) on the 1st. July !!!!!!!!!
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

"Peter Pan & the Basingstoke Carers"

Could be just the latest in a long line of aliases for MacManus & co.?
verbal gymnastics

:lol:

Peter Pan - EC
Captain Hook - Davey (another great Hook on bass)
Steve "Tinkerbell" Nieve
Smeet Thomas on drums
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Still disgruntled
Although I saw him RAH Mrs SoLack and 13yr old didn't and they were both very much looking forward to it. I was also anticipating actually being able to read the wheel from the 7th row at the Anvil, rather than having to squint from 100m and still failing at RAH.

I'm going to see W Eric with Amy Rigby on 14 June; I'd be surprised if they would ever cancel a gig because of 'short-term vocal fatigue'. Plus E&A do a much better version of I Still Miss Someone.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

You could hear the voice going (almost all at once it seemed) during Accidents Will Happen and then he struggled vocally with Allison, but it sounded like he got it all back in the second half.

Of course this sucked for me - plane ticket, accomodation etc.....but that's the chance you take.

The Green King was fine - as was the Speckled Hen at the next place (the Beef and Something or the place next door to the Beef and Something) before the bell rang for me and Roofdog.......ended up down some side street as I often do - in the Cambridge club seen which initially disgusted me, but then turned amusing.

Excepting the lack of So Lacklustre, Cambridge is a nicer place to spend a warm Spring day than Basingstoke.

..........and the Wreckless Eric / Amy Rigby version of I Still Miss Someone is fantastic....wish I was going to Winchester.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The Baron of Beef, and the place next door The Mitre. Neither particularly loveable, but pretty legendary as Cambridge student pubs. Actually, IK should have sent you to the Pickerel just over the bridge, a bit more loveable. Wonder what the club was. Glad you made the most of your trips!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

From the Anvil website:

Confirming a revised date for Elvis Costello has taken longer than anticipated to allow other European tour dates to be settled. We apologise for the delay and anticipate that we will have more news next week. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause
verbal gymnastics

It won't be 2012 if it's a Songbook show unless there's a one off show (which would be highly unlikely).
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Latest update from the Anvil Website:

"Fri 15 June

Confirming a revised date for Elvis Costello has taken longer than anticipated to allow other European tour dates to be settled.

We apologise for the delay and anticipate that we will have more news soon. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

Reference to "next week" has gone, reference to "other European tour dates" remains, which is hopeful...

MOOT
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

I was really sad to hear that this concert had been cancelled - what a disappointment it must have been. On the other hand, I didn't have tickets for the original date, but after enjoying the Bournemouth concert so much I am tempted to try to get some for this re-arranged concert. So, if anybody here has good tickets for the Basingstoke concert but finds they can't make the new date, then maybe I could buy them off you? In any case, there were some spare seats at Bournemouth so maybe Basingstoke will have tickets available once the new date is fixed? <fingers crossed>
Man out of Time

This week's update from The Basingstoke Anvil website:

22 June

"We are still waiting for confirmation of the revised Elvis Costello date. All ticket holders will be contacted when this is finalised. If you would prefer not to wait, please contact the box office on 01256 844244."

I presume this means they are prepared to refund ticket holders whose appetite for Elvis has waned. If there are a lot of takers, Wolverinefan may be lucky yet.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

If they're expecting a rescheduled Songbook dare then I suspect it will be a long wait. I've got 2 board members' tickets as well as my own to collect on the night. Let's hope it's a night I can make when it is finally rescheduled!
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

This weeks update!

Fri 29 June 2012

We have been advised that the revised Elvis Costello date will be in June 2013. All ticket holders will be contacted next week with final information.
Man out of Time

"Every cloud ...... " as they say. Who would have thought that the box office at the Basingstoke Anvil would be herald to the first EC tour news for 2013....

Let us hope a June date in Basingstoke is part of a wider tour, and not a one off like the rescheduled Bournemouth date of April 2004.

Dare we hope that the Spectacular Spinning Songbook will be rolled out again after wintering in Hartlepool.

Watch this thread (assuming Verbal hears from the Anvil box office).

MOOT
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

June 2013!!! Crikey that's quite a long wait, but good to have on the distant horizon. I'm hoping to be there, one way or another. A lady at work had tickets for the original concert and has promised me first refusal on her tickets if she can't make the new date, but after I told her how good the Bournemouth concert was I think she'll be doing everything she can to make it. (Maybe I should have lied - told her that EC was rubbish so she'd beg me to take the tickets off her hands! :twisted: Nah, I could never make that lie sound convincing after the great time I had! :) )
Man out of Time

In an interview with BBC Radio Oxford at the Cornbury Festival earlier today, EC said that next week he would be announcing dates for a UK tour in 2013. This is consistent with the latest announcement (above) from the Anvil Box office. Checking on EC's own site, the page for the Basingstoke date:

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/bas ... cement/334

says: "We are presently seeking a suitable date for a re-scheduled Basingstoke concert. Watch this space for future announcements about new "Revolver" dates."

So it is possible that another round of "Revolver Tour" dates for the UK, including one at The Anvil, will be announced next week, or that he will announce dates for a different format show, possibly with the Imposters, or just Steve, or solo, or a mix of some or all of these. Of course, there may also be other European dates too, possibly to countries untouched by this year's Revolver tour, such as Austria, Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal or Spain.

Interesting to note, for instance, that since playing four dates in Italy with the Imposters in 2005, Elvis has not been back. Perhaps 2013 will be the year he returns.

Watch this space....

MOOT
krm

Post by krm »

Man out of Time wrote: Interesting to note, for instance, that since playing four dates in Italy with the Imposters in 2005, Elvis has not been back. Perhaps 2013 will be the year he returns.

MOOT

I am quite sure that he was there with the Sugarcanes. Or was those shows cancelled??
verbal gymnastics

John Martin vis listserve has posted that this date has been rescheduled to 20th June 2013.

I've not received anything from the venue as yet.