Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
krm

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Post by krm »

Wolverinefan wrote:VG: "I was going to look for the stage door after the show (and gave up because it was a bit Spinal Tap)"... err, not quite sure I understand what you mean?
probably this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C21yssFhCsk
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Spinal Tap reference was when the band were trying to get onstage and were walking around various passages and couldn't find their way onstage.

We had a similar encounter but outside. We were walking round and kept finding different doors with service numbers on them. I chatted to Steve and he said the stage door was round the corner. We kept turning corners but couldn't find the stage door so we gave up. It was also partly because my friend had to be up early the next day.

I got home at an extremely late time as it was, so if I'd hung around much longer I'd have seen the sun rising (slight exaggeration :lol: ).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

This was another great concert - especially the Get Happy extended section and the Joanna medley with Steve.
M25 meant I could only briefly say hello to other board members sadly.
This ranks with Brighton and Cardiff to me and just a tiny notch down from Southend, which as others have said was one of the greatest gigs in the world, ever.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Happiness_Stan1968

Post by Happiness_Stan1968 »

Wolverinefan: Yes, that was me at the front! Thanks for taking the picture, it was very kind of you and there was hardly any time before Elvis and the band were on the bus!

Listening back to it in the car over the last few days,(see Sweetestpunch's post) I agree the walkabout was really special and it is exactly his ability to do this and do it well (over and above the rest of his repertoire of songs and styles) which makes him quite unique. I loved the wavy sea gestures and the spontaneous nature of this part of the set. It did get me thinking, bizarrely, that the wave charade gestures could have led to any of these as well: Last boat leaving, Deep dead blue, Black sails in the sunset or even Ship of fools… not necessarily as popular but it could have been interesting!

I wonder if he'll let the BBC film his set at Glastonbury. I remember him refusing to let them do it back in 94!