Elvis/The Imposters, London, May 23 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, London, May 23 2012

Post by FAVEHOUR »

so lacklustre wrote:I'm not going tonight, will save myself for the Anvil on Sunday where I'm pretty sure the special guests will be Nick Lowe, Bruce Springsteen and Prince.

Uh oh, you'll miss McCartney's appearance tonight! :wink:
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

I think it's only fair it should be another ex-member of the Neighbours cast.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Azmuda wrote:Video:
Shipbuilding / Trouble / Folsom Prison Blues
Was it particularly warm in the theatre last night? I know EC can work up a good sweat, but his suit is absolutely drenched during Shipbuilding.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

the_roofdog wrote:They're a very friendly lot: they even let my friend who isn't a forum member join the circle last night (some say standards are slipping).
Sounds good !
Thought there might be a secret password, special handshake, a "wear a carnation and stand under a clock", or a "nudge,nudge,wink,wink,know what I mean...", type situation ! :lol:
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

docinwestchester wrote:
Azmuda wrote:Video:
Shipbuilding / Trouble / Folsom Prison Blues
Was it particularly warm in the theatre last night? I know EC can work up a good sweat, but his suit is absolutely drenched during Shipbuilding.
I was front row and when his arms were down sweat was dripping onto the floor from the jacket cuff in a constant flow !
Mind you at the end when everyone stood up and got moving it did get very warm, so for him on stage it must have been boiling !
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

As has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, his suits do go a lot darker during the show. But then I should think playing on stage for 3 hours would do that to almost anyone wearing a suit wouldn't it?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Goon Squad wrote:
the_roofdog wrote:They're a very friendly lot: they even let my friend who isn't a forum member join the circle last night (some say standards are slipping).
Sounds good !
Thought there might be a secret password, special handshake, a "wear a carnation and stand under a clock", or a "nudge,nudge,wink,wink,know what I mean...", type situation ! :lol:
Nothing so sinister, the passwords are only needed to gain entrance to the inner sanctum. But I've said too much.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Detailed setlist from elviscostello.com
Elvis Costello & The Imposters
London, Royal Albert Hall, England
May 23rd, 2012

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

The Stations Of The Cross/Get Ready - Spin 1

New Lace Sleeves - Spin 2

Beyond Belief - Spin 3

Oliver's Army - Spinner's Request

Long Honeymoon - Spin 4

Cash - Spin 5

Cry Cry Cry
I Still Miss Someone

American Without Tears - Ms. Valentine's Choice - the Imposters with Bible Code Sundays plus Kieran MacManus on whistle - second verse sung by Ronan and Ruairi MacManus - For Ross and Sara

Little Palaces - with Bible Code Sundays - Ronan MacManus - Guitar, Paddy Franklin - Fiddle, Andy Nolan - Accordion, Carlton Hunt - Drums with Kieran MacManus - Whistle

"Joanna" - Jackpot - Napoleon's Choice

Shot With His Own Gun - For Mrs. Nason

Watching The Detectives/Help Me - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs

Alison

Everyday I Write The Book - IMPROMPTU

Chelsea - IMPROMPTU

I Want You

Interlude

A Slow Drag With Josephine - Napoleon Solo

Jimmie Standing In The Rain - Napoleon Solo

Tramp The Dirt Down - with the Imposters

Shipbuilding

Pearl Jubilee Revue

Trouble - Lieber/Stoller - sung with Russell Crowe - Martin Belmont on guitar

Folsom Prison Blues - sung by Russell Crowe - Martin Belmont on guitar

From A Whisper To A Scream - duet with Glenn Tilbrook with Martin Belmont on guitar and Tennsesse Thomas on second drumkit

Pump It Up - with Glenn Tilbrook with Martin Belmont on guitar and Tennsesse Thomas on second drumkit and Bible Code Sundays

Peace, Love And Understanding - with Glen Tilbrook and Ronan and Ruairi MacManus on vocals, Kieran MacManus on piano, Tennessee Thomas on second drumkit, Martin Belmont on guitar, Paddy Franklin on fiddle, Andy Nolan on accordion and Steve Nieve on the Royal Albert Hall Organ
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

the_roofdog wrote:I think it's only fair it should be another ex-member of the Neighbours cast.
You know something don't you?

Its Jase isn't it?
signed with love and vicious kisses
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Daily Express contexualise Elvis -

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/322 ... tello-show

RUSSELL CROWE MAKES SURPRISE APPEARANCE AT ELVIS COSTELLO SHOW

Thursday May 24,2012

RUSSELL CROWE stunned the audience at London's Royal Albert Hall on Wednesday night (23May12) by joining ELVIS COSTELLO on stage during his gig.

The She hitmaker headlined the prestigious venue and sang several of his tracks before inviting Crowe to share the spotlight with him.

Introducing the actor as "the gladiator of guitar" in reference to Crowe's 2000 battle film, the pair delighted the crowd with covers of Elvis Presley's Evil and Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues.

In a post on his Twitter.com page on Thursday (24May12), Crowe writes, "It is true, sang with Elvis Costello and the Imposters at Royal Albert Hall last night. What a privilege."

As does the Daily Mail -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... utine.html

The actor Russell Crowe paid a rare visit to the capital last night and was keen to make the most of it.

But as he tried to take a photo with one of his famous friends it appears a female fan was a little overzealous as she tried to get in the picture with him and Oscar-winner Cuba Gooding Jnr.

Crowe, 48, gave the lady a gentle shove to keep her out of the shot.

It was somewhat brave of the woman, seeing as burly Russell is reknowned for his hair-trigger temper.

But after seeing singer Elvis Costello perform live, and even jumping onstage with him - he appears to have been in a good mood.

The actor described by Costello as 'the gladiator of guitar' 'growled' his way through covers of Elvis Presley’s Evil and Johnny Cash’s Folsom Prison Blues.

One critic described him as 'actually quite a good singer.'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.winkball.com/entries/KqqUzIH ... lbert-hall

Oliver's Army singer Elvis Costello's very own army of fans speak about how much they love the man at his gig at the Royal Albert Hall.

I didn't spot any of the 'regulars'!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

johnfoyle wrote:
Oliver's Army singer Elvis Costello's very own army of fans speak about how much they love the man at his gig at the Royal Albert Hall.

I didn't spot any of the 'regulars'!
We were all still in the pub when they were filming, obviously....

MOOT
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta for Crowe-link ... just looking for recent 'Day tripper' snippets ...

... FUN full 'FPB' + 'Trouble' etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT-R7dBshGw
Last edited by charliestumpy on Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Edit:
At least two of these - "Party Girl" and "Clubland" and - must be from the 24th - not the 23rd as it says on YouTube.
Last edited by Azmuda on Sat May 26, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
History History

Post by History History »

It was nice of Elvis to thank all the people who wrote to him after the death of his father. I wonder, did he do this at any of the other shows?

There were enough magic moments to make it a good Elvis gig - I was thrilled to hear 'Whisper' with Glenn Tilbrook (who seems to be going through his own beard years),
as Trust was the first Elvis album I really loved.

I watched with some fascination as the sweat mark crept down the back of his suit.

I wish I'd been a bit closer to the stage so I could see the song titles on the wheel.

The only guy that went up on stage looked as if he was going to be great entertainment (Elvis said that he was wearing bouncy shoes) but petered out quite dramatically in the cage. For a moment I thought it must be Verbal.

Wished I went to one of the other shows now.
Come back soon, Elvis.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

History History wrote:The only guy that went up on stage looked as if he was going to be great entertainment (Elvis said that he was wearing bouncy shoes) but petered out quite dramatically in the cage. For a moment I thought it must be Verbal.
I can understand why you would think that - badly dressed and poor co-ordination; it was a fair assumption.

One of the things I forgot to mention was that there was someone who "stormed" the stage very early in the show. He got onto the stage but was soon caught before he got to Elvis. It was odd.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Got to Goat pretty late as the FF Queen had to work.
Sat down next to some likely lads who seemed a bit young to know about EC+I but clearly did.
Imagine our surprise when half way through they all turned up on stage. Apologies to Ronan and co that we didn't recognise them.

Highlights were the Trust songs, some of which I don't think I've heard live since the album first came out. Obviously having Glenn on Whisper to a Scream was great but couldn't beat Shot with his Own Gun and especially New Lace Sleeves.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

verbal gymnastics wrote:One of the things I forgot to mention was that there was someone who "stormed" the stage very early in the show. He got onto the stage but was soon caught before he got to Elvis. It was odd.
Oh yeah, that was weird, it looked like he was dressed exactly like the stagehands/security guys as well. We thought one of them had gone rogue.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review at The Kentish Towner.co.uk by Susie Innes.

Review: Elvis Costello, Royal Albert Hall

"The first hot day of the year. I’m happily drinking rose and nibbling at a rather excellent prawn and avocado salad, giggling and gossiping whilst keeping a beady one on my emails – when a note comes in from a pal with tickets to Elvis Costello.

So we’re off to the Albert Hall. In a box. With important folk from Universal. Drinks brought to us. And an epic view direct to the front of stage. Sitting down. Knowing all the words.

We have probably seen Mr Costello’s every stage persona – skinny specie boy, serious songster, and happy man – and last night he was at his most bouncy. The stage was filled with a gorgeous and energetic go-go dancer called Dixie in a cage, the Imposters giving it their all, and a huge spinny wheel.

Punters were plucked from the crowd and asked to spin the wheel to ‘randomly’ pick the next song. The bravest of them then took their turn a-bopping behind bars, or lounged excitedly on the makeshift bar on stage.

Now, a real reviewer would have the set list in her paws, with some insightful remarks on ice, ready to thrill her readers with comments about the tightness of the band, the sharp lighting. I can only say it was an awesome night. Mr MacManus controlled the mood from beginning to end. Fast, slow, angry, funny. Stories, political satire, name-dropping.

He brought his brothers on, with a tear-jerking verbal tribute to their late dad. And after two and a half hours of continuous stage presence, on came special guests to help out. Out of nowhere a rocking Russell Crowe, overjoyed to be singing Elvis with Elvis. Then, a delightful and delighted Glen Tilbrook.

By the end, with Steve Nieve playing the spectacular organ, and when all of us were on our feet and chanting ‘What’s so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding’ – we totally meant it. Grinning from ear to ear, out into a balmy South Ken night. "

http://www.kentishtowner.co.uk/2012/05/ ... bert-hall/

Of course, a real reviewer would realise that the concept of a "set-list" is redundant when the core of the show is the random selection of songs by members of the audience. <sigh>

MOOT
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

From the youtube videos it looks like Pete's kit is isolated behind a sound shield. Was this being professionally recorded?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

the_platypus wrote:From the youtube videos it looks like Pete's kit is isolated behind a sound shield. Was this being professionally recorded?
I've noticed that shield on every gig I've looked at, Maybe it's just so Pete doesn't make Davey's ears bleed! Probably just for better sound separation on the mixer??