Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis/Imposters, Seattle , April 12 '12

Post by bronxapostle »

from OFFICIAL site...

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Seattle, WA
April 12th, 2012

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine
I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook
"Beauty Or Beast?" Jackpot - Spin 1
Monkey To Man
Rocking Horse Road/Wild Thing
Men Called Uncle
All This Useless Beauty/Do You Know What I'm Saying?
Turpentine - Spin 2
Accidents Will Happen - Spin 3
Chelsea - IMPROMPTU
Waiting For The End Of The World - Spin 4
Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over) - IMPROMPTU
No Particular Place To Go - IMPROMPTU
Peace, Love And Understanding - Spin 5
"Girl" Jackpot - Spin 6
Girls Talk
This Year's Girl
Party Girl
Shipbuilding - Napoleon's Spin 7
Talking In The Dark - IMPROMPTU
The Hammer Of Songs
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror - Songs Of Sneer
Please Please Me - IMPROMPTU
Interlude
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Veronica
Finale
Watching The Detectives - Spin 8
This Wheels On Fire/The River In Reverse/I'll Take Care Of You/This Wheel's On Fire - Spin 9
Everyday I Write The Book - Spin 10
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis Costello's Paramount Show Reveals Surprisingly Aggressive Anti-East Coast Sentiment Among Seattleites
By Mike Seely Fri., Apr. 13 2012 at 8:22 AM

Elvis Costello and his Imposters took the stage last night, nattily dressed in top hats and ties save for drummer Pete Thomas, who insisted on wearing a loose-fitting gold shirt. They looked like luminaries, but because this was one of Costello's famed "spectacular spinning songbook" shows, with a ferris wheel of tracks or topics that audience members came up and spun for, the crowd was the star. And when Costello mentioned Beantown in passing, and not one but two shouts of "Fuck Boston!" came roaring out of that crowd, it signaled that Seattle might be about to get past its passive-aggressive phase.

Costello's gift of onstage gab is perhaps only rivaled by John Roderick, but for the first six songs last night, Declan and his mates barely paused for as much as a breath while blazing through the likes of "I Hope You're Happy Now" and "Radio, Radio". In addition to drum kits and keyboards, the stage featured the aforementioned giant wheel, a makeshift bar called The Society Lounge, and a go-go cage, complete with two professional dancers. If Costello wasn't talking yet, it was gleefully evident that he'd soon be cast in the role of circus barker.

Every fifth song or so, one of Costello's go-go girls would venture into the crowd and pluck an audience member to spin the wheel. The lucky few treated the experience as though they'd gotten Wonka's golden ticket, with the guys bowing at His Elvisness and the women (a collection which included a raven-haired lass named Maggie who bore a striking resemblance to a certain human Encyclopedia Alcoholica) often acting as though they'd be happy to make a cuckold of Diana Krall.
Not content to let his impromptu cohorts simply sit onstage and gape, they were eventually made to shimmy in the go-go cage. Most audience members acquitted themselves surprisingly well, although when a long-married couple named Chuck and Mary Lou jumped in the cage, it was clear that Chuck's moves never quite advanced beyond the "mercilessly grind your groin into the hot cheerleader's rump and pretend you're not wearing jeans" phase.

Costello's 45-minute encore, which included "Veronica," "Watching the Detectives" and "Every Day I Write the Book," functioned more like a second set, but it was an earlier progression from "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" to "Shipbuilding" that showed off the band's incomparable versatility. While the latter suffered a bit for lack of Chet Baker's trumpet, it served as a reminder that, when he slows down, Costello possesses one of the lovelier voices in pop, a notion supported by his occasional abandonment of instrumentation and amplification, his nude a capella still filling the Hall.
And No Coffee Table

Elvis Costello spins rock 'n' roll wheel at Paramount
Elvis Costello delighted the crowd at Seattle's Paramount Theatre with his Spectacular Spinning Songbook Thursday night.

By GENE STOUT
Special to The Seattle Times

Elvis Costello is a man who knows how to have fun on stage.

Bringing his Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour to the Paramount Theatre Thursday night, Costello was all smiles as he invited concertgoers to the stage to choose songs by spinning a giant, multicolored roulette wheel filled with song titles. The wheel, which made its debut 25 years ago, was gleefully received by nostalgia-minded fans.

Donning a top hat and sporting a silver-tipped cane, Costello promised (and delivered) "songs of love, songs about sex, songs about death and dancing, but not necessarily in that order."

For Costello, whose repertoire is immense, the wheel was a clever mechanism for choosing songs. It also proved awkward, landing on tunes that hindered the show's momentum. But Costello compensated by occasionally adjusting the set list to suit his mood.

"Some of these songs are my friends," he quipped, glancing at the wheel, "and some of them have frankly betrayed me."

Adding to the carnivallike atmosphere was a go-go dancer in a cage, who shared her space with a succession of wheel-spinning guests. Behind her was the Society Lounge, a tiny bar with two stools and an old TV (tuned to Fox News, Costello teased), at which guests could chill with a beverage and collect play money after giving the wheel a spin.

Backing Costello were the Imposters, a talented and seasoned trio featuring keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Davey Faragher and drummer Pete Thomas. And scrambling to keep Costello's array of guitars in tune was a very busy guitar tech.

The show rocked pretty hard for most of its 2 ½ hours, but Costello was often at his best when he cooled things down for ballads, such as "A Slow Drag With Josephine" and "Veronica" or the moving, a cappella "Jimmie Standing in the Rain."

Among the many favorites included in the marathon show were "Radio, Radio," "Accidents Will Happen," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," "Watching the Detectives" and the final song, a beautiful "Every Day I Write the Book."

Costello also interjected several classic rock 'n' roll songs, including "Wild Thing," "Please Please Me" and Chuck Berry's "No Particular Place to Go."
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Photo gallery: http://www.seattleweekly.com/slideshow/ ... -36576381/
Davey looking pretty spiffy:

And No Coffee Table

Oh I Just Don't Know Where to Begin...
Posted by David Schmader on Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Last night, Elvis Costello and the Imposters brought their Spectacular Spinning Songbook show to the Paramount, and it was wonderful. As I mentioned in my preview piece:

"Tricked out with song titles spanning Costello's career, the Spectacular Spinning Songbook is a Wheel of Fortune–style contraption spun by lucky audience members, with the band banging out whatever song the wheel reveals. If live-action Costello Song Roulette isn't gimmick enough for you, the stage also holds a go-go dancer shimmying in a cage."

What I learned last night: the cage-dancers are, more often than not, the lucky wheel-spinners themselves, and I am happy to report that despite our region's reputation for not dancing at rock shows, last night's audience-participation cage dancers totally brought it. I don't know if I've ever been more proud of my city. (I'm looking at you, Freaky Steve, and also at you, couple that's been married for 26 years and shimmied together in the cage to "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?".)

The band: amazing. Keyboardist Steve Nieve remains Costello's greatest not-so-secret weapon, fleshing out the melodies with simultaneously high-drama/low-cheese touches. Costello is a ridiculous charming showman, veering between enthusiastic carnival barker-isms and wry self-deprecation. And, somehow, Costello's contentious singing voice sounds better and less-strained live than it does on record (or at least than it has on recent records).

Highlights: the aforementioned "Peace, Love, and Understanding," "Girls Talk," "Accidents Will Happen," "Man Called Uncle," "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea," and covers of the Beatles' "Please Please Me" and Chuck Berry's "No Particular Place to Go." Also, a slamming version of "Waiting for the End of the World" that made me wish Costello & co would deign to do a full re-recording of My Aim Is True, the thin, flat sound of which has always been slightly at odds with the brilliant compositions.

Dashed Hopes: The wheel never landed on Imperial Bedroom's "Man Out of Time" or King of America's "Suit of Lights."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.peterman.net/wp/elvis-costello-in-seattle/

Elvis Costello in Seattle
By Mr. Peterman, on April 13th, 2012

Early in 2012 we had the honor of being present at a secret performance by Elvis Costello & the Imposters at a friend’s very special birthday party. It was, of course, a rather spectacular experience… especially since Carol was pulled up onstage to spin the big wheel and dance in the go-go cage. Three months later Elvis returned to town for a more traditional performance, and through the good graces of the same friend we found ourselves right up front once again, watching the man perform his magic. And as though it had been scripted, Carol was once again selected to shake her stuff onstage, though this time it was for 3000 people instead of 200.

Photos , including -

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Upon further examination, I think it actually says "Big Hog Small Dog"... maybe.
On closer inspection of the photo below, this segment of the wheel (just to the left of the woman on the left) seems to say "Big Hog Small Boo". I am at a loss to suggest what song(s) that might indicate.

MOOT
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Maybe it's Big Hoo, Small Boo.

Like Boo Hoo.

I don't know!

Dave
And No Coffee Table

FAVEHOUR wrote:Maybe it's Big Hoo, Small Boo.
This pic settles it for me: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/imag ... _20_ms.jpg

It's "Big Hoo Small Boo."

And the other new jackpot is indeed "Numbers" (mentioned in the tour program last year but not actually on the wheel until now).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

PLU / Girls Talk / This Year's Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUs89DvJZRc
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

An excellent audience audio is now circulating. I dubbed the audio with a spotty video, so it looks awful but sounds great!