Elvis/Imposters, Seattle , April 12 '12

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Imposters, Seattle , April 12 '12

Post by johnfoyle »

Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis/Imps, Seattle , April 12 '12

Post by bronxapostle »

now, now....don't get lazy King Foyle. ELVIS/IMPS title thread? REALLY? please re-do these correctly. we run a class operation around here. :)
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis/Imposters, Seattle , April 12 '12

Post by bronxapostle »

:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks Johnny!! HAPPY EASTER to my friends ALL OVER THE WORLD!
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I am!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump - enjoy the show!
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

I'll be there. And in Portland. Will post updates to Twitter when I can.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ENJOY Craig...do we have your twitter link??? hope you get the songs you want most
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

This will be my first time seeing Elvis since the River in Reverse tour. Wouldn't make the long drive to the Gorge/pay the price for the Police tour and was on vacation when he swang by with the Canes.

I will be sure to relay my thoughts in some sort of rudimentary review bordering on the lines of "it was great!"
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

BA, my Twitter is here - https://twitter.com/CraigatCoF. Will try to post the set as it happens, every 3 songs or so, unless I'm getting some video. : ) Not sure how strict this venue is with that. If not, I'll try to post a few photos during the show, but my phone camera isn't very good.

And please feel free to take anything of interest that I post on Twitter, and post it here.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks sir...i tweet and then i don't. but i'll be looking for you tonight. who knows might follow you already...let me check!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oh geez....i KNEW your name looked familiar. but NOT from EC. we became acquainted when i guess you came to NYC for triple header Beacon THE CURE shows...haha SMALL WORLD it is. cheers man. here i am: https://twitter.com/#!/search/bronxapostle
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the- ... d=13322816

April 10, 2012

Music
The Costello Show
The Angry Young Man Turned Reasonably Placid Elder Statesman Returns with His Spectacular Spinning Songbook

by David Schmader

Elvis Costello has been delivering high-drama live performances since before you were born. In 1977, he famously brought Saturday Night Live to a crashing halt when he aborted a performance of "Less Than Zero" and redirected the band into a ferocious "Radio Radio." In 1981, he infamously opened shows on the Trust tour with "Shot with His Own Gun," a deadly serious solo piano dirge with lyrics invoking premature ejaculation and metaphorical suicide. And throughout his 35-year career, he's expertly deployed the power of killer bands, from the awesomely confrontational Attractions (Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, Bruce Thomas) to his latest band of Imposters (same as above, only with Davey Faragher replacing Thomas on bass).

Compared with the provocations cited above, the 2012 Revolver Tour is positively crowd-pleasing, with Costello welcoming back to the stage his Spectacular Spinning Songbook, the Wheel of Fortune–style contraption he first took on tour in 1986, after the rejuvenating double-whammy of King of America and Blood & Chocolate. Tricked out with song titles spanning Costello's career, the song wheel is spun by lucky audience members, with the band banging out whatever song the wheel reveals. If live-action Costello Song Roulette isn't gimmick enough for you, the stage also holds a go-go dancer shimmying in a fur-lined cage.

But dismissing anything drawing on the Elvis Costello songbook as only gimmick is stupid. Any honest survey of the Costello oeuvre reveals a half-dozen masterworks and good, interesting, sometimes difficult music in every era (though his 1977–1982 run is rightly his defining achievement, and his explorations in torch singing his nadir). Any serious Costello fan will be thrilled by what the 2012 Spectacular Spinning Songbook has on offer: "Alison," "Accidents Will Happen," "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding," "Clubland," "New Lace Sleeves" (!), "Beyond Belief" (!!), "Pills and Soap," "I Want You," "God's Comic"... In a nod to the man's ascension to elder statesman of 20th-century music, the wheel also includes key covers: the Flying Burrito Brothers' "Wheels," the Who's "Substitute," the Beatles' "And Your Bird Can Sing."

But the ultimate highlights of the wheel are the jackpots, which involve small collections of songs sharing a theme, with rotating themes and song choices making no two Spinning Songbook shows the same. A sampler:

The "Happy" Jackpot

The winner of this jackpot will be serenaded with three songs drawn from Get Happy!!, Costello's 20-song new wave/R&B explosion of 1980. Recurring components: "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down," "High Fidelity," and "Secondary Modern." (Meanwhile, Get Happy!!'s "Black and White World" has a stand-alone spot on the wheel, as does Blood & Chocolate's "I Hope You're Happy Now.")

The "Time" Jackpot

A jackpot of songs invoking the passage of time. Recurring/alternating components: Trust's "Strict Time," Get Happy!!'s "Clowntime Is Over," the Rolling Stones' "Out of Time," and Imperial Bedroom's titanic "Man Out of Time," which sometimes segues into Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue." Swoon.

The "Girls" Jackpot

Self-explanatory. Recurring components: 1978's classic "This Year's Girl," 1980's underworshipped "Girls Talk," and "Sulky Girl" from 1994's Brutal Youth, an album that people pretended was a return to form at the time but is no fun at all to listen to in the 21st century.

The "King's Ransom" Jackpot

This rootsy jackpot draws on two albums Costello made with producer T Bone Burnett: 1986's King of America (credited at the time to the Costello Show) and 2010's National Ransom (Costello's first release on Starbucks' Hear Music). Recurring components: "Brilliant Mistake," "Indoor Fireworks," and "American Without Tears" from King of America; "The Spell That You Cast," "Stations of the Cross," and the title track of National Ransom.

The "I Can Sing a Rainbow" Jackpot

The just-what-it-says-on-the-tin jackpot, typically featuring Armed Forces' "Green Shirt," My Aim Is True's "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," and—glory be!—Prince's "Purple Rain."

Other, non-jackpot oddities appearing on the Spectacular Spinning Songbook: Detectives vs. Hoover Factory, in which the legendary "Watching the Detectives" is pitted against lovable B-side "Hoover Factory," with the audience deciding which song is played (spoiler alert: "Detectives" always wins); Pump It Up in 6/8 (the This Year's Model highlight played in luxurious 6/8 time); and Ray Charles Is a/What'd I Say?, a medley/mashup of Costello's notorious drunken proclamation of the late '70s with the man's own R&B classic. This last one is a lie. All others are guessed at from set lists posted on Costello's site and in reviews. Results may vary. Have fun. recommended
migdd

Post by migdd »

CraigCoF posts so far on Twitter:
Bus just got here. Saw the girls get out but not EC. Not sure if the Imps went in yet.
Yeah, the band bus just pulled up. Forgot that EC travels with the girls on one, the band on another.
Dixie has walked by twice, but I'm not about to take a photo of that. : )
EC soundcheck so far - Cry one more time, my 3 sons, all this useless beauty!, 45, man called uncle!, rocking horse road!
Hurry down doomsday!
Monkey 2 man, little triggers!
Wow! What a soundcheck!! Keep up the great work, Craigie!
migdd

Post by migdd »

More from Craigie:
Motel matches!, clowntime is over!, girls talk!
The Comedians!, please please me!, they're still going but I need to go get ready for the show.
And this still just the soundcheck! Wondering which version of The Comedians the band is playing.
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

The sound check sounds like it alone is worth the price of admission ! I love ATUB so this spells great things ahead ! Has EC ever played 'It's Time' as part of the 'Time' Jackpot ?
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

No, he hasn't played "It's Time" since 1996.

Craig has posted a pic of the wheel. "Beauty or Beast?" makes its first appearance since last May. Can anyone make out the purple jackpots at 5 and 7 o'clock? The one at 5 looks like it could be the long-promised "Numbers"...

"Suit of Lights" is there too.

migdd

Post by migdd »

Please Please Me was sound-checked today and is on the wheel. Has this been played before?
And No Coffee Table

Another pic seems to reveal the 7 o'clock jackpot is "Big Dog Small Dog." Intriguing...
http://twitter.com/#!/mariannesp/status ... to/1/large

"Please Please Me" hasn't been played before, but it was on the wheel in Vancouver.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

HOPE HAPPY
HEART OF CITY
MYSTERY D
UNCOMPL
RADIO RADIO
MONKEY TO MAN

i'll never make it the whole show as it's late for me here in NY, but here is how @CraigatCoF has tweeted thusly
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yep . . . a rocking show so far. About to call it quits for the night myself. However, CraigCoF promises to post here with details of the rest of the show.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Rocking horse/wild thing, man uncle, useless beauty
migdd

Post by migdd »

Men Called Uncle! Fantastic!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Spin...turpentine, spin...accidents will happen (cheat)

Chelsea, spin...end of world

Hurry doomsday, chuck Berry cover, spin...plu & girl jackpot
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:Another pic seems to reveal the 7 o'clock jackpot is "Big Dog Small Dog." Intriguing...
Upon further examination, I think it actually says "Big Hog Small Dog"... maybe.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I was there, don't have the setlist, but the finale was This Wheel is on Fire/River in Reverse/I'll Take Care of You/This Wheel is on Fire. It's annoying being a hardcore fan and when someone is given a choice of anything on the wheel to hear 'Alison' as the crowd chant when we could hear Hoover Factory, but Elvis breaking into 'I'll Take Care of You' made my night. One of my favorite songs ever, and one of my favorite covers by him ever.