Elvis Costello & The Impostors , Vancouver April 10 '12

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Elvis Costello & The Impostors , Vancouver April 10 '12

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The TOUSSAINT category is rather tantalizing.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Nice pictures, Ken!

Dave
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

The setlist makes this look like quite a promising leg. Hope the tapers are out there!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:looks like an awesome set; who woulda thunk 5IVE GEARS!!! COMEDIANS & WRONG BEFORE are two more deep LP tracks i never caught. this tour rocks!
What's next, ba? B Movie perhaps?
nice idea doc! actually saw it only once...back when it was a FAST tune in 1979. the other two HOLY GRAILS from the lp (for me at least!) are LOVE FOR TENDER and i need i need i needthe HUMAN TOUCH!!
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I was there with the missus. Great fun. I loved hearing 'Comedians' (the Roy Orbison version, natch), a surprisingly propulsive 'Beyond Belief,' an unexpected personal favourite in 'Uncomplicated' and the brief solo treatment of 'Jimmie' and 'Josephine.' These are as close as I'll ever come to hearing that fine album played on stage, alas.

At concerts by beloved performers, certain moments just hit me for reasons I don't quite grasp; in this case, 'New Lace Sleeves' and 'Shipbuilding' packed that punch, in part because they're powerful songs, and in part because hearing Elvis do them summoned all the accumulated associations and memories of a lifetime's listening to these songs and this performer.

The sledgehammer game was hilarious. When the contestant was told that if she hit the bell, she'd get to pick any song from the wheel, you should have seen her jump with excitement!! (Her choice: 'Accidents Will Happen.' I'd have picked 'Imperial Chocolate' myself but it's hard to fault her decision!).

Diana did a great turn, even hopping into the go-go cage at one point - not to mention laying a huge kiss on her man. :wink:

At the end of the day, I probably prefer a slightly spikier, less overtly crowd-pleasing Elvis, but there's no denying that a splendid time is guaranteed for all.

Now, if only I hadn't gotten lost in the parking garage and wandered pathetically amidst concrete and exhaust fumes for a half-hour after the show, it would have been a perfect evening :lol:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sweetest punch wrote: One Bell Ringing (Spin by Diana Krall): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEHASIwNDR4
Love that bit of "space" at the end.

Where's the damn bootleg? I'm waiting...
scamp

Post by scamp »

docinwestchester wrote:
Where's the damn bootleg? I'm waiting...
I thought I was the only antsy one. Doc and BA you have spoiled us.