Stiff's Live 1977 documentary finally on DVD/ now on Amazon Prime

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Stiff's Live 1977 documentary finally on DVD

Post by johnfoyle »

Just had a quick look at my copy which arrived today & it looks good. Considering it's film stock from the 1970s it is , of course, less clear than digital etc. of today. I'll have a proper look this evening.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The film really conveys the spirit of the tour. The picture quality is a vast improvement on the copy I have from about ten years ago. I played some of that , to see if there was anything cut out. There doesn't seem to be. Funnily enough the sound on that , the none music parts anyway , was better than the new edition, despite the upgrading the note below tells of. Some scenes are quite murky for the simple reason that they were happening in under lit circumstances. Daylight scenes are - you guessed it - clear as day. The fuller account of the tour, earlier in this thread, is a kind of directors commentary for this. We see Elvis and Nick and others discussing a blood soaked happening ( 'it was like Sharon Tate' says the ever witty Mr Lowe) which isn't explained. It surely refers to the episode with Dave Edmunds. And so on.

I sent the brief comment I made earlier to the DVD's producer - he replied -

The DVD was made from Nick's ( Nick Abson- the director) 1" PAL; the original negative seems to have gone missing. We took the PAL, converted it to NTSC, and upgraded it (both video and sound) as much as possible; we also did editing -- there was a minimal opening title and no opening credits, and we wanted it to make more sense to a contemporary viewer, given that Nick pioneered the idea of having a documentary with no narrative or introduction -- and created the new opening title (my idea; I wanted it to be listed on Amazon and the in our customers' catalogs) which we used for the DVD. Qualitywise, it is the best that is available; if the negative turns up, we would remaster in HD.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »