Elvis/Imposters, Cornbury Festival, June'12 - on 'live' cd?

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis/Imposters play Cornbury Festival, June 30 '12

Post by And No Coffee Table »

He said they'll be announcing a UK tour next week.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Still no plans to record....damn!
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

He sounded slightly out of breath on the interview - & the interview was done prior to the gig...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From Facebook-

Elvis Costello backstage at Cornbury with BBC Radio Oxford's Will Banks
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Wow, totally missed this as I was away all day.

Doc, hopefully you'll put the part you got on Dime?

Maybe someone knew it was coming and got the whole show?

would also like to hear the interview..

Dave
And No Coffee Table

Listen again (for the next 7 days):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00twxmj

Elvis starts 28 minutes in.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

excellent! Thanks, nunki

Dave
And No Coffee Table

Setlist:

01. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
02. High Fidelity
03. Mystery Dance
04. Uncomplicated / Shotgun
05. Radio, Radio
06. Everyday I Write The Book
07. Good Year For The Roses
08. Bedlam
09. Watching The Detectives
10. Beyond Belief
11. Clubland
12. Stella Hurt
13. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
14. I Want You
Encore:
15. A Slow Drag With Josephine (EC solo)
16. Tramp The Dirt Down
17. Oliver's Army
18. Pump It Up
19. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
20. Tears Of Rage
migdd

Post by migdd »

Just got online after a very long day. Thanks for the heads-up and the link. Listening now. It's exciting that EC and the guys (I hope) are planning to continue the ever-lasting Revolver tour into 2013.

New songs? Maybe some day. Surely he can't quit his day job forever.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

I was there - it was a great performance from Elvis and the band! :D

We were lucky as the weather was pretty kind to us - only the odd late shower during the evening, which didn't dampen anybody's spirits, although walking around the site was a bit hazardous as it was quite boggy in places.

About 45 mins before Elvis was due on stage most of the audience disappeared for refreshments etc while the stage was being set up for Elvis. At that point me and my friend managed to get near the front - there were only about 3 "rows" of people in front of us, staking their places for the main event. Just before Elvis appeared the crowd all started to pack in around us and annoyingly a couple of people pushed in front of us to join their friends at the front, but to be honest I think that had probably been there earlier in the day and just gone off to get a drink. My friend and I then linked our arms and held our ground... we later heard one or two people behind us mutter "I don't think we'll be able to get through to the front now..." so it seems people got the message! :wink:

The big hits seemed to go down very well with most of the crowd and overall the sound quality was pretty good. At some points though we struggled to hear Elvis' voice as the noise of the band seemed to be a bit out of balance and overwhelm him, which I thought was a pity. It's something that we'd noticed at Bournemouth too and I don't think it's anything to do with Elvis' voice lacking strength - it's just the sound technicians don't seem to have the amplifiers balanced quite right, IMO. Elvis did a fantastic version of "I want You" which was spell binding and quite hypnotic - by the end I almost felt like I'd gone into some drug fuelled trance! That song is so... well... erotic and other worldly. They also had some special echo effect thing going on, so the lyrics got repeated around and there was a kind of surround sound effect - amazing. It was a pity that during this mesmerising performance some stupid woman in front of us kept screaming out "I want YOU Elvis!" - talk about killing the moment! :x At one point I actually said "Shut up!". Actually she was pretty annoying throughout the performance - a total attention freak, but there's always one isn't there?

Just one small thing - I'd like to see Elvis look at the audience and smile a bit more. He has a lovely smile and though I appreciate he tends to go into a certain moody mode for many of his songs a little more smiling and banter with the audience is always very welcome.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Maybe a few chuckles and jocularity during light hearted numbers like Tramp the dirt down or Shipbuilding? Or a cheeky wink when he sings the line "a face with thin red stripes" in Clubland perhaps? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Yeah Verbal Gymnastics, that's EXACTLY what I meant! :roll:

Seriously though, has EC always been that way during his live performances? Notwithstanding the heavy subject matter of some of his songs, a few more smiles and a bit of light hearted banter in between the songs would do no harm, IMO.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/979 ... _festival/

David Cameron tramping the dirt down.

Big names on stage and in crowd at festival

By Tim Hughes
Witney Gazette

Monday 2nd July 2012

(extract)

CHARLOTTE Church and actor-turned musician Hugh Laurie were among the celebrities to praise the Cornbury Music Festival, which came to a spectacular end late last night.

And the stars on stage were matched by those in the audience – who included a denim-clad David Cameron who was seen dodging the rain with his wife Samantha and their children.

The Prime Minister and Witney MP was seen briefly talking to his former press secretary Andy Coulson.

But it is not known what they were discussing, nor whether the pair bumped into another mutual friend, former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks who also attended.

Others spotted in the extensive VIP lounge were TV presenter Noel Edmonds, comedian Dom Joly, Countryfile’s John Craven and Adam Henson, former Blur bassist-turned cheesemaker Alex James, and Holby City actress Tina Hobley.

Festival director Hugh Phillimore said: “I’m thrilled. The weather has been a drag and we kept on getting wet, but it looks like everyone had a good time. The line-up was our best yet. Elvis Costello was staggering.”

Staff and parents at nearby Great Tew Primary School raised money to build a much-needed fourth classroom by selling cake and more than 5,000 cups of tea.

Sharn Woodgate, who has two children at the school, said: “We need £130,000 by the end of the year, and are almost there.”

Also entertaining crowds were Charlbury Morris Men. The side’s squire Peter Smith said: “We had a wonderful time.”
migdd

Post by migdd »

Great to see that EC is "taking the country back." 8) :lol: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://enews24.co.uk/wp-content/plugins ... I0LmNvLnVr

Elvis the legend is back ... at Cornbury Festival

By PAUL BENBOW
The Sun

July 2 '12

ONCE his audience were teenage punks.

At Cornbury Festival on Saturday night Elvis Costello And The Imposters belted out a two-hour, hit-packed set to the same people, but this time they were in cagouls and Hunter wellies.

Many were also there with kids now older than their parents were when Elvis first told everyone he didn’t want to go to Chelsea.

Opener I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down ended with a “One, two, three, four” and it was straight into another tune.

And the energy was kept up to an encore of Oliver’s Army, Pump It up and (What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love And Understanding.

Being around for years has its advantages, for Elvis it’s knowing what the crowd wants and supreme confidence in delivering it
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/979 ... _festival/

David Cameron tramping the dirt down.

Big names on stage and in crowd at festival

By Tim Hughes
Witney Gazette

Monday 2nd July 2012

(extract)

CHARLOTTE Church and actor-turned musician Hugh Laurie were among the celebrities to praise the Cornbury Music Festival, which came to a spectacular end late last night.

And the stars on stage were matched by those in the audience – who included a denim-clad David Cameron who was seen dodging the rain with his wife Samantha and their children.

The Prime Minister and Witney MP was seen briefly talking to his former press secretary Andy Coulson.

But it is not known what they were discussing, nor whether the pair bumped into another mutual friend, former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks who also attended.

Others spotted in the extensive VIP lounge were TV presenter Noel Edmonds, comedian Dom Joly, Countryfile’s John Craven and Adam Henson, former Blur bassist-turned cheesemaker Alex James, and Holby City actress Tina Hobley.

Festival director Hugh Phillimore said: “I’m thrilled. The weather has been a drag and we kept on getting wet, but it looks like everyone had a good time. The line-up was our best yet. Elvis Costello was staggering.”

Staff and parents at nearby Great Tew Primary School raised money to build a much-needed fourth classroom by selling cake and more than 5,000 cups of tea.

Sharn Woodgate, who has two children at the school, said: “We need £130,000 by the end of the year, and are almost there.”

Also entertaining crowds were Charlbury Morris Men. The side’s squire Peter Smith said: “We had a wonderful time.”

Still get a sense of wonder when I contemplate that world leaders-no matter their party or philosophical persuasion, attending these events or shows, that their personal Ipods are loaded with the work of artists I enjoy. Have no knowledge if Cameron is a fan of Declan's but I get the sense that he was there for more than a photo op. I need no further proof of the generational shifts then the list of artists on my own President's Ipod- long gone are the days when a Spiro Agnew could say his favorite song was "When The Red Red Robbin Comes a Bob Bobbin Along". I get a strange affirmation from this photo.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Given what Elvis said on stage each night, during the UK leg of the Revolver tour, about Cameron/Thatcher, Rebekah Brooks and Leveson, it is ironic that he should be playing a festival where Brooks, Cameron and Coulson were all in the crowd. This may have given his performance of "Tramp The Dirt Down" added bite.

If only he would write another song as good as "Tramp The Dirt Down" about News International and the phone hacking scandal. He could even have a horse in it, thanks to Horsegate... One day maybe.

MOOT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... rooks.html
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wolverinefan wrote:Seriously though, has EC always been that way during his live performances? Notwithstanding the heavy subject matter of some of his songs, a few more smiles and a bit of light hearted banter in between the songs would do no harm, IMO.
I've seen him once or twice and I can safely say that I've seen him smile many times and seen plenty of light hearted banter. I've heard quite a few one off stories and even the same story told many times on the same tour has made me laugh.

He was also in fine form on the UK Songbook tour.

I was interested to see the celebrity list at the festival. Elvis would have loved that. :lol: I wonder if Elvis knew our Prime Minister was there. It would have been great if Elvis had the TV on stage and made the Leveson enquiry comments.

This could only have been bettered if Paul Weller had played Eton Rifles and David Cameron danced in front of him.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... tival.html

Elvis the legend is back ... at Cornbury Festival

ONCE his audience were teenage punks.

At Cornbury Festival on Saturday night Elvis Costello And The Imposters belted out a two-hour, hit-packed set to the same people, but this time they were in cagouls and Hunter wellies.

Many were also there with kids now older than their parents were when Elvis first told everyone he didn’t want to go to Chelsea.

Opener I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down ended with a “One, two, three, four” and it was straight into another tune.

And the energy was kept up to an encore of Oliver’s Army, Pump It up and (What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love And Understanding.

Being around for years has its advantages, for Elvis it’s knowing what the crowd wants and supreme confidence in delivering it.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Man out of Time wrote:Given what Elvis said on stage each night, during the UK leg of the Revolver tour, about Cameron/Thatcher, Rebekah Brooks and Leveson, it is ironic that he should be playing a festival where Brooks, Cameron and Coulson were all in the crowd. This may have given his performance of "Tramp The Dirt Down" added bite.

MOOT
Ah, funny you should say that, because he did make a funny comment which I found a bit puzzling at the time... he said he'd been tempted to take his kids to have their faces painted, but was a bit concerned that somebody might take a skewer from their kebab to stake him through the heart! :shock: It made him seem a tad paranoid at the time and I don't think many people in the audience had a clue what he was referring to, but if he'd seen certain politicians in the VIP tent earlier that probably accounts for it.

Seems that EC is still as serious about his politics as he is about his music.

PS: Verbal Gymnastics: I've seen him smile a few times too. My comment was not intended as a criticism, I was just saying I'd like to see him smile a bit more.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

He variable scowls once he spots VGA and myself in the audience screaming for some obscure number or fighting to get the lapel microphones adjusted !! :roll: :lol:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Got to listen to this finally, and it's quite good! Posts had me thinking EC's voice was going to be ravaged, but it seems pretty strong to me.

And no one has mentioned the GREAT version of Tears of Rage that comes out of nowhere to close the set!

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

any chance someone could help with an mp3 for TEARS OF RAGE here please, Martin??? thanks, ba