Which EC song means the most to you out of context ?

Pretty self-explanatory
when i was cruel

Which EC song means the most to you out of context ?

Post by when i was cruel »

Since it's a misleading title, I feel as thought I should expain. Like for example 'Any King's Shilling' means a great deal to me and I feel as thought it connects to my Grandfather (rest his soul) even though the song has no likeness or mention to a Steel Mill Worker like him. So I am curious if you have songs that are special to you but aren't necessarily written to pertain to those feelings in the first place.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Dr. Luther

Re: Which EC song means the most to you out of context ?

Post by Dr. Luther »

Couldn't Call it Unexpected #4

When MLAR was released, my brother was coming to the end of a long, losing struggle with cancer.
The song hit me, hard, immediately.

I know that many people aren't particularly enamored with the studio take of this song, but I will always consider it one of the high points of Costello's remarkable career.
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

My thoughts exactly ! Even though I do like the live more, the original is great ! I am sorry for your brother but glad you shared, this song is like that for me aswell as I lost my Grandpa December 29th.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

"God Give Me Strength"

I'll be forever connected with this song. I listened to it maybe a 1000 times when I lost my mother back in 2003 after a long battle with cancer.
The emotion that resonates through EC's voice & delivery on this song (and a lot of his work) gets me every time. Heart-wrenching
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Very poignant thread...

The out of context one for me is "Veronica". My late Mum's name was Vera - clearly a shortened form that was used about EC's Gran ("And they call her a name that they never get right") and these words get me every time:-

"And a young man sailed on a ship in the sea with a picture of Veronica"

'cos my Mum was in love with a sailor called Sammy Bright during WW2, although she settled with my Dad, she never forgot her sailor boy who doubtless carried a picture of his sweetheart in his wallet.So this takes me back to my childhood hearing her talking of her lost love and, as an adult, my loss of a parent.

Colin Top Balcony
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

The Other Side of Summer

A bit TOO personal to go into detail, but the line "An unwanted birthday" always really hit me. Its not just about getting older. To me, I've always interpreted it as meaning "no longer even wanting to be alive."

The video interprets this as meaning the birth of an unwanted baby. But I prefer my personal take. Its the anthem of someone when suffering in ultimate despair.
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Less Than Zero from A bunch of Stiff records album, where it all started, first song I ever heard by Elvis.

New Lace Sleeves for the line "She's no angel and he's no saint" for the memories of a certain female companion from back then, miss you luv and all those crazy times we had together.