EC to join Ray Davies at Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party?

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC to join Ray Davies at Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party?

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I mentioned in another thread that Clive Davis says Elvis will attend his pre-Grammy party tomorrow night.

Now there's this:
The pre-Grammy party is always white-hot and has featured performances from top acts like Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin and Carlos Santana. This year, The Kinks will take the stage to play a medley of their hits, with the help of Jackson Browne and Elvis Costello. Mumford & Sons are hoping to arrive in time to get in on the performance, Davis said.

“It remains to be seen if their flight lands early enough, if we’ll go on without a rehearsal. But Mumford & Sons (said), ‘(They’re) our biggest influence. We love Ray Davies, we love The Kinks.’”
I find this hard to believe, since the Kinks haven't played anywhere since 1996...
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Clive Davis says EC will play with the Kinks at Grammy p

Another report has it as just Ray Davies, not the Kinks. That seems more plausible.
Grammy weekend has already begun. For this reporter, it meant hanging out in the ballroom of the Beverly Hilton Hotel yesterday with record industry legend Clive Davis. While tables were being rolled into place for his famous annual pre-Grammy dinner and show set for Saturday night, another legend, Ray Davies of the Kinks, rehearsed on stage with his band. The Kinks were rescued by Davis in the late 1970s when he ran Arista Records, and had a successful second chapter to their star studded career with hits like “Come Dancing” and “Superman.” On Saturday night, in front of 800 A listers, Davies will be one of the featured stars Davis introduces. There’s a rumor that for one song–”Days”– he’ll be joined on stage by Elvis Costello. Jackson Browne will join him for another. Davis, young as springtime, is smiling from ear to ear. He’s also got Tony Bennett and Diana Krall doing something, and R&B singers Brandy and Monica will sing their new hit duet. Otherwise, it’s a secret. Whitney Houston is coming, but just to be in the audience. She sang last year.
docinwestchester

Re: EC to join Ray Davies at Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party?

Post by docinwestchester »

Ping ba: You gonna get into this one? The denim look is very hot in Hollywood right now, right?

I'd love to hear a recording if you do.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Ok, what with the Beach boys reunion on the Grammies, and paul mc and diana, and now ray and e.c., my fantasy land is revving up. a Davies/Costello concept album, nostalgic London waterloo music hall jimmie standing thing jazzy diana-backed, and diana singing. . .or...actually, I won't go on. . .
And No Coffee Table

On Facebook, Ray Davies writes:
I will be performing tonight at Clive Davies' pre Grammy party but as reported elsewhere, this will NOT be with the Kinks or any members of the Kinks. You'll have to wait until later to see who I do perform with….
...while Dave Davies' Facebook page says:
Dave Davies who is NOT in LA and will not be performing at Clives' party is in the recording studio in UK completing work on his exciting brand new solo album- watch out for release date- Coming SOON
And No Coffee Table

Despite early reports that Whitney Houston's death would cause the party to be canceled, the show did go on.

Twitter:
In attendance: Slash, Paul Schaffer, Elvis C, Neil Young, NeYo, Diana Ross, Tom & Rita, Ciara, LA Reid... And me! ;-)
Diana Krall onstage now with hubby Elvis Costello watching from stage wings
Clive Davis honoring The Kinks: Ray Davies is performing with Jackson Brown and Elvis Costello #GRAMMYs
Ray Davies does Kinks medley with Jackson Browne and Elvis Costello at the Clive party.
Jackson Brown joining Elvis Costello and Ray Davies for kinks songs. Starting with "days" a Capella.
Rock and Roll euphoria listening to Ray Davies, Jacson Brown and Elvis Costello at the Clive Davis #Gtammys party.
Ray davies Jackson Browne and Elvis Costello on medley of kinks songs, kicks off w "girl, I want..." #Clive #billboard #bbbiz #surreal
Ray Davies sings lovely, fragile "Days" a cappella. Then kicks butt with full band "All Day and All of the Night."
"And though you're gone. you're with me every single day, believe me." Ray Davies just claimed this ballroom. Amazing. #grammys
Browne and Davies are performing "Waterloo Sunset", now back to "Celluloid Heroes", and then Costello joins for "Days" #GRAMMYs
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and Ray

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://apetrochenkov.livejournal.com/248355.html

Elvis Costello right, and Diana Krall are seen outside the back entrance to the Beverly Hilton Hotel Saturday Feb. 11, 2012 in Beverly Hills Calif.(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-573 ... ton-hotel/

Elvis Costello and Diana Krall are seen outside the back entrance to the Beverly Hilton Hotel, Saturday Feb. 11, 2012, in Beverly Hills, Calif., where Clive Davis' annual pre-Grammy party was being held - the same hotel where Whitney Houston was pronounced dead.
(Credit: AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

sweet pics! 8)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another hat 'n what a shirt - Elvis at the Grammys.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:http://apetrochenkov.livejournal.com/248355.html

Elvis Costello right, and Diana Krall are seen outside the back entrance to the Beverly Hilton Hotel Saturday Feb. 11, 2012 in Beverly Hills Calif.(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
Heading to the crime lab.

Perhaps one of the singers murdered a song.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Elvis made an appearance during the Grammy broadcast. Two hours and 38 minutes in, during Neil Portnow's speech, there was a shot of Elvis and Diana in the audience.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Elvis made an appearance during the Grammy broadcast. Two hours and 38 minutes in, during Neil Portnow's speech, there was a shot of Elvis and Diana in the audience.
Funny. I was watching with my 11 year old son, whose musical preference is rap and dubstep, and when they went to that shot he yelled: "ELVIS!"

A proud moment for dad...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

dig this one doc, my PRINCIPAL (i'm an assistant teacher!) facebooked me..."did you see him?" right then. COOLEST BOSS EVER??? especially for a Cuban American woman to dig EC so intensely!! I THEREBY ANOINTED HER A COSTELLO FREAK!!!
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Some more photos from the weekend:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
And No Coffee Table

Facebook post by The 88, the band which backed Ray and Elvis:
Hello Everyone,

As some of you may have heard, Ray Davies asked The 88 to join him at last night's Clive Davis Pre-Grammy party at the Beverly Hills Hilton. We weren't allowed to announce anything before the show as it was a private event, and all the acts performing were to be a surprise.

We were very excited to be performing with Ray again, and to be a part of this prestigious night. When we heard that Whitney Houston had died at the hotel we were staying at, we were shocked and saddened by the news. The band questioned whether the event would still continue, and felt awkward about performing after such a tragedy. But as people were talking about it, everyone decided that music can be a positive part of the healing process and decided that the show must go on, and that Whitney would have wanted it that way.

After a warm introduction by Clive Davis, and memorable performances by Tony Bennett and Diana Krall, we took the stage with Ray.

Ray started off the show with an a-capella version of "Days" which was very appropriate and a nice tribute.

Thank you for the days
Those endless days, those sacred days you gave me
I'm thinking of the days, I won't forget a single day, believe me

I bless the light
I bless the light that lights on you believe me
And though you're gone
You're with me every single day, believe me

The band then continued into "All Day And All Of The Night" followed by Jackson Browne joining Ray for an acoustic version of "Waterloo Sunset". Ray played a little of "Celluloid Heroes" before and after Jackson.

We were then joined by Elvis Costello who played "Days" with us. He sounded great and we were all beside ourselves not only playing one of our favorite Kinks songs, but having Elvis sing it on stage with us!

We finished the set with "Lola" and "You Really Got Me". Ray sounded great last night and put on an excellent show. Here's a little blurb that was on Rollingstone.com today:

"Many of the performances were planned and booked months ago, so they had little to do with Houston, such as the tribute to Ray Davies and the Kinks. Davies, joined by Jackson Browne and Elvis Costello, brought power and a bit of the old snarl to classics like "All Day And All Of The Night, "Lola" and "Waterloo Sunset." Musically, it was the high point of the night. The set was still very much appreciated by the crowd, who gave Davies his due, even if the earlier portions of the night were subdued."

So even though it was a pretty intense day, there were great performances by many talented musicians, and people had a lot of moving things to say about Whitney Houston. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her friends and family in this difficult time.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.uloveengine.com/3933/stars-p ... icle-blog/

(L-R) Musicians Elvis Costello, Diana Krall and North American Chairman and CEO of Recorded Music for Warner Music Group Lyor Cohen attend the Warner Music Group Grammy Celebration hosted by InStyle at the Chateau Marmont on February 12, 2012 in Los Angeles, California (Todd Williamson / Getty Images for InStyle)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Found this while looking for something else -

Mumford and Sons with Elvis Costello
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Not a huge fan of Mumford & Sons, but they seem to have built quite the fan base in the US. How are they perceived abroad?