Hubert Sumlin Apollo tribute , including Elvis , February 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Hubert Sumlin Apollo tribute , including Elvis , February 2012

Post by bronxapostle »

Last edited by bronxapostle on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man out of Time

Re: Hubert Sumlin Apollo tribute...will EC show?

Post by Man out of Time »

Perhaps Elvis and Keef could perform "Happy" or "Out of time"? Or Elvis and Eric could perform "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"? Any other ideas?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Hey ba, you getting VIP tix?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

no, but might loiter outside looking for a $20 ticket!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis is now part of this.

http://www.apollotheater.org/all/detail ... in-tribute

HOWLIN’ FOR HUBERT
CELEBRATING THE MUSICAL LEGACY OF HUBERT SUMLIN
A Benefit for the Jazz Foundation of America
Friday, February 24 at 8 p.m.
sold out

A celebration of the musical legacy of the late Hubert Sumlin and his influence on every guitar hero of today to benefit the Jazz Foundation of America.

Scheduled to appear: Doyle Bramhall II, Eric Clapton, Gary Clark, Jr., Elvis Costello, James Cotton, Shemekia Copeland, Billy Flynn, Barrelhouse Chuck Goering, Buddy Guy, David Johansen, Steve Jordan, Jimmy Keltner, Danny Kortchmar, Dr. John, Keb Mo, Todd Mohr, Ivan Neville, Robert Randolph, Keith Richards, Paul Rodgers, Eddie Shaw, Kenny Wayne Sheperd, Larry Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks, Jimmie Vaughan, Jimmie Vivino, Willie Weeks, Jody Williams, Kim Wilson and special surprise guests.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Re: Hubert Sumlin Apollo tribute EC to appear 2-24

Post by bronxapostle »

any BENEFACTORS who want ba and SONY there; paypal me your HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS contributions SOON! :lol: :lol: :lol:
as i am off the whole week, maybe i will devote Friday 5-8 trying to get a cheapie on the street! wish me luck!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hope one of us gets there....
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

dumb luck....though on vacation this week, i was driving uptown at around 3:00 so thought i'd try the stage door area. it was pissing down rain chilly, so only gave it ten minutes. meanwhile, made a nice friend in a stage door attendant type dude, who probably would have helped me along if i felt like staying downtown. just too damn chilly and early to give it a full go. but, might just try it again two weeks from tonight for E Street. long story short; heard and saw nothing! :lol: :lol:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://instagr.am/p/HaVvHrzbue/

This photo appeared on Instagram with the caption "Eddie Shaw & Henry Gray sing Hidden Charms. Elvis Costello up next!" followed by "That was Elvis Costello!!!!"

...which I think means Elvis is the one who sang "Hidden Charms."
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

I can't tell if this pic on flickr shows EC on the far right or not:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54729663@N04/6781584778/

All Night Long by Pearce_Pics, on Flickr
Last edited by Azmuda on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yeh, there's EC wearing glasses fourth in from the right side with his black Strat to the left of Warren Haynes! haha
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Now on Dime:

Howlin' For Hubert
The Apollo Theater
NY, NY
Febraury 24, 2012

This was a benefit show for the Jazz Foundation of America, which helps impoverished musicians (not just jazz musicians) pay the bills for their basic necessities. It was to have been a celebration of Hubert's 80th birthday, but since he passed away, it became a memorial show.

I have never experienced such a stunning array of talent displayed at a single show. I have tried my best with the track titles and artists on stage,but given the changes and number of artists, it was quite a chore- any corrections would be appreciated. There was a video played at the beginning of the show, but since I do not know its source and whether any of the music played was commercially released, I just left the last 30 or so seconds, per the suggestions of the mods. There were no cameras present to indicate a DVD was shot. A CD release would be very difficult, given the contracts of all the various artists, so enjoy it in its glory.

Hats off the the 1500 seat Apollo Theater in Harlem. The venue did the show full justice.

Source: CA-14 cards at rear of lower mezzanine, center > CA9100 > Edirol R-09HR @ 24/48 > Kingston SDHC > Audacity 1.3 Eqd, tracks split, downsampled to 16/44.1 > flac (level8)
Taper: absnj

First Set
1. Video Fades In
2. Key To The Highway (Eric Clapton and James Cotton)
3. Jeffrey Wright Introduction
4. Big Head Todd Intro
4. Roll Where You Want Hubert Sumlin (Big Head Todd)
6. Jimmy Vaughan Intro
7. Six Strings Down (Jimmy Vaughan)
8. Jody Williams and Kenny Waynbe Shepherd Intros
9. Lucky You (Jody Williams and Kenny Wayne Shepherd)
10. Jimmy Vivino and David Johansen Intros
11. Evil (Jody Williams, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jimmy Vivino, David Johansen and Kim Wilson)
12. Ronnie Baker Brooks and Lonnie Brooks Intros
13. Born In Chicago - Sweet Home Chicago (Ronnie Baker Brooks and Lonnie Brooks)
14. Eddy Shaw and Henry Gray Intros
15. Sittin' On top Of The World (Eddy Shaw and Henry Gray)
16. Elvis Costello Intro
17. Hidden Charms (Elvis Costello, Eddy shaw and Henry Gray)
18. Warren Haynes Intro
19. You'll Be Mine (Warren Haynes)
20. Billy Gibbons Intro
21. I Asked For Water (Warren Haynes and Billy Gibbons)
22. Mister Highway Man (Warren Haynes and Billy Gibbons)

Second Set
23. Intro To Jazz Foundation of American Director
24. Wendy Oxenhorn Speaks
25. Toni Ann Mamary (Hubert's Manager) Speaks
26. House Band Intros
27. Who's Been Talking (Kim Wilson)
28. Keb Mo Intro
29. Howlin' For My Baby (with Eddy Shaw)
30. Doyle Bramhall Intro
31. Commit a Crime (with Jimmy Vaughan and Keb Mo)
32. Derek Trucks Intro
33. Meet Me At the Bottom (with Jimmy Vaughan)
34. Susan Tedeschi Intro
35. How Many More Years
36. Three Hundred Pounds Of Joy
37. Robert Randolph Intro
38. Who Do You Love (with Jody Williams)
39. Buddy Guy Intro
40. Quinn Sullivan Intro
41. Goin' Down Slow
42. Hocchie Koochie Man (Buddy Guy and Robert Randolph)
43. Shemekia Copeland Intro
44. Beggin' You Please(Buddy Guy and Shemekia Copeland)
45. Gary Clark Jr. Intro
46. Catfish Blues
47. Eric Clapton Intro
48. Shake For Me (with Gary Clark Jr.)
49. Little Baby (with Gary Clark Jr.)
50. 44 Blues (with Gary Clark Jr. and Jody Williams)
51. Goin' Down Slow (with Keith Richards and Gary Clark Jr.)
52. Keith Richards Intro
53. Little Red Rooster (Keith Richards and James Cotton)
54. Spoonful (with Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and James Cotton)
55. Wang Dang Doodle (All Musicians on stage)
56. Smokestack Lightning (All Musicians on stage)

House Band:
Willie Weeks - Electric bass
Larry The Mole Taylor- Standup Bass
Billy Flynn- Guitar
Eddie Taylor Jr.- Guitar
Danny Kootch Kortchmar- Guitar
Barrelhouse Chuck Goering- Upright piano
Ivan neville- Organ, electric piano
Jimmy Lee Keltner- Drums
Steve Jordan- Drums, musical director
Kim Wilson- Harp, vocals
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Azmuda wrote:I can't tell if this pic on flickr shows EC on the far right or not:
This YouTube clip of the penultimate number - Smokestack lightning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQfHavj0QzY suggests that Elvis chose not to squeeze onto the stage. Several of those who did seem to be either talking amongst themselves, or not playing at all, so it was probably a wise choice on EC's part. When you have Clapton and Keith Richards on stage, I am not sure the LHC will add much to proceedings.

MOOT
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Can someone post just the Elvis intro and performance? My Dime ratio is not looking well....

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

name names dave! don't be shy...like this: "DOC, PLEASE!" we can ALWAYS rely on the good doctor.
docinwestchester

FAVEHOUR wrote:Can someone post just the Elvis intro and performance? My Dime ratio is not looking well....

Dave
I'll do it tonight. It's not the best recording. There's a fair amount of chatter during his intro and song.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hold on to your hats all...are YOU saying doc; ba's ANALOG would be better than what we got??? no worries; my contention has ALWAYS been: ANY RECORDING is BETTER than NONE!
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:hold on to your hats all...are YOU saying doc; ba's ANALOG would be better than what we got???
Not saying that actually, ba. Just that particular song by EC is full of background chatter. Overall, it's a very solid audio capture....even though it's digital (haha).
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you KNOW my analog would have been better...i would have MOVED away from the chatterboxes!!! hahaha....get me into FALLON!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/gallery ... 8&index=11

Elvis Costello backstage during Howlin For Hubert, a concert for the Jazz Foundation of America at the Apollo theatre in New York
Photograph: Kevin Mazur/WireImage

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... k-20120225

Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy and More Celebrate Hubert Sumlin in New York

'It's good to be back,' Richards told crowd. 'It doesn't get any better than this.'

By Patrick Doyle
February 25, 2012 8:05 PM ET

Close to midnight last night at New York's Apollo Theater, Eric Clapton had just finished a thunderous take on classic blues number "Forty Four" when Keith Richards ambled onstage with no introduction. Wearing a dark blazer, long green scarf, fedora and a huge grin, he embraced Clapton and stood center stage to massive applause, delivering a smoky take on Wolf’s "Going Down Slow," a chronicle of a frail man who has savored life’s greatest pleasures. "Man, I've had things that kings and queens will never have," Richards growled. "In fact, they don't even know about them, let alone get ’em. And good times? Mmmm...." He hovered around Clapton and then stood sidestage by the piano while Clapton delivered a throaty verse and then weaved clean-toned solos with young Austin guitarist Gary Clark Jr.

There were many highlights at Howlin for Hubert – a tribute to guitarist Hubert Sumlin, who played in Howlin’ Wolf’s band for decades and passed away on December 4th due to heart failure – but that was the peak. It was Richards’ first major musical appearance since the Rolling Stones last toured five years ago, and he showed little rust. After "Going Down Slow," he sat down and played metallic 12-string slide while singing "Little Red Rooster," and then strapped on a Gibson electric guitar to sing and trade licks with Clapton on "Spoonful." "It’s good to be back," Richards said, peering up to the balcony before breaking into a cackle. "Goddamn, it’s good to be back."

The entire show, which featured all-stars including Buddy Guy, Billy Gibbons, Warren Haynes, Jimmie Vaughan, Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II and Elvis Costello – plus overlooked legends like Wolf’s former bandmates, harmonica player James Cotton, guitarist Jody Williams and saxophonist Eddie Shaw – was one for the history books. The event originated while Sumlin was still alive as a celebration to mark his 80th birthday. It stayed that way; Guest after guest recounted Sumlin’s unfaltering positivity and passion for his instrument. At one point, Toni Ann Mamary, Sumlin’s longtime manager and companion, tearfully recalled Sumlin tellling her, "I’m gonna be there. I don’t care if I play – I’m going to be there." She added, "Can you feel him?"

The night began with a film featuring classic Sumlin performance footage and a recent interview with him, where Sumlin humorously described how he found his own piercing signature sound after Wolf strongly urged him to lose the guitar pick. The stage lights then revealed two massive portraits of Sumlin behind the stage. His sunburst Stratocaster sat on a stand at center stage, with his trademark feathered cap hanging off of it. Clapton emerged – with short, slicked-back hair and wearing a blazer – with Cotton, Sumlin’s old musical partner. Clapton kicked the night off howling an acoustic, stomping "Key to the Highway," complemented by Cotton’s razor-sharp harp fills.

Each set came and went in a flash. Performers were backed by an incredible house band including Steve Jordan and Jim Keltner, two of the best drummers alive, bassist Willie Weeks and pianist Ivan Neville. An early highlight was Jimmie Vaughan performing an electric solo version of "Six Strings Down," a tribute to fallen gunslingers. When he sang "Albert Collins up there / Muddy and Lightnin’ too / Albert and Freddy / playing the blues," it was easy to feel more than one spirit in the room. Kenny Wayne Shepherd and 77-year-old Jody Williams jammed on Williams' ferocious 1957 instrumental "Lucky Lou," Shepherd unleashing flurries of loud, screeching notes. The New York Dolls’ David Johansen – who sang lead at many of Sumlin’s shows in recent years – emerged for "Evil," replicating Howlin' Wolf’s vocals with a weathered cat-scratch howl.

Chicago blues legend Lonnie Brooks, 78, and his son Ronnie Baker Brooks performed a rousing "Sweet Home Chicago," and 74-year-old Eddie Shaw animatedly sang and played sax on "Sitting on Top of the World." Soon, Costello surprised the crowd when he appeared unannounced in a grey, checkered suit, to jam on an instrumental boogie and sing his own "Hidden Charms." Later, Warren Haynes nailed Wolf’s boogie "You’ll Be Mine" and invited Billy Gibbons to add some Texas twang to "Killing Floor."

During set two, Keb Mo and and Shaw performed a slinky "Howling for My Baby;" Doyle Bramhall II led the band in a stellar "Commit a Crime" and Robert Randolph played a blissful "Who Do You Love?" with ferocious pedal steel playing, dancing out of his chair to the Bo Diddley beat. Derek Trucks backed wife Susan Tedeschi on "How Many More Years" and "Three Hundred Pounds of Joy." Between Trucks' scorching slide solos, Tedeschi managed to pull off lines like "Honey / I’m your boy / 300 pounds / of heavenly joy."

Buddy Guy brought the night to a new peak with a raucous, bravado-filled set that included "I’m Going Down" with Randolph, Guy stabbing and holding volume-shifting notes while he gestured to the crowd like he was passing out money. During a stomping "Hoochie Coochie Man," he belted a verse away from the microphone, telling the band to "play it so funky you can smell it."

27-year-old newcomer Gary Clark Jr., who recently signed to Warner Bros. Records, had the challenge of following Guy. He nailed a cover of "Catfish Blues" full of fat-toned fury. He then introduced Clapton back to the stage, who backed Clark on a soulful "Shake For Me." Clapton grinned away, appearing thrilled to act as a sideman, and traded solos with Clark. Clapton then took the lead for a vigorous "Little Baby" with a swinging start-and-stop groove, looking at the ceiling while unleashing muscular solos full of vibrato. His playing wasn't flashy or overly virtuosic, but it was still Clapton.

By that time, Richards' appearance felt like a bonus. He looked happy and healthy in his set. He also looked like classic Keith: He took off his hat to reveal a full head of grey hair, so frizzy it looked like he was shocked by an electrical socket. He’s currently recording solo tracks with Steve Jordan for an upcoming album. Here's hoping he'll promote it by touring theaters, doing exactly what he did last night – singing center-stage, sitting while playing country blues and plugging in when he feels like it – especially if the Stones don't tour immediately.

After his set, more than thirty of the night's performers gathered on stage for group jams. Shemekia Copeland led the band on "Wang Dang Doodle" and everyone jammed on Sumlin’s signature riff, "Smokestack Lightning." It was crowded and messy, but still fun to watch. Richards even broke out some of his classic stage moves: kneeling down, pulling his hand away from the guitar each time he hit a note, and cracking up, especially when Billy Gibbons started fanning Kenny Wayne Shepherds' guitar. Something Costello said earlier in the night resonated: "The only sad thing about tonight is that Hubert’s not here."
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Anyone know where I can get threads like that?
docinwestchester

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjdBl5dyjGM
EC intro/Hidden Charms (audio only)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thank you Doc!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »