Manchester concert

Pretty self-explanatory
Emotional Ricochet

Manchester concert

Post by Emotional Ricochet »

Not long been back from the Manchester concert. It was brilliant with a great mixture of songs. Elvis was in fine voice and the professor was superb. Elvis made a brave attempt at playing the piano. Not exactly his forte but entertaining nonetheless. One of the highlights for me was Shot With His Own Gun.
Who else was there and what did you think? Did you have a good view of Steve, Plaything?
By the way, as of 23 minutes ago, it is my birthday, 44 today. I think Plaything said it was her birthday on Sunday, so happy birthday for tomorrow.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Why thank you, Emotional, and a happy birthday to you too.

Elvis was in fine voice, as you say, though a little hoarse at the beginning, didn't you think? And if it wasn't good enough already, I did have a good view of Steve (centre, about 7 rows back, slightly to EC's right) which makes the whole experience that little bit more enjoyable (for me anyway :wink: ). Oh, and a celeb alert: Alan Bleasdale (yes, him again; a small world, etc) asked if he could borrow a pen while we were waiting outside the venue. Neither I nor my freind had one, but we did have a pre-concert cigarette together. I had to remind him of the time he came into my college.

Who wants the setlist then? No suprises except for 'I'm Your Toy' maybe?

1) Accidents Will Happen
2) 45*
3) Rocking Horse Road*
4) Shot With His Own Gun
5) You Left Me In The Dark
6) Someone Took The Words Away
7) When Did I Stop Dreaming
8 ) You Turned To Me
9) Fallen
10) God's Comic
11) I'm Your Toy
12) Girls Talk (my EC mate said he fluffed a couple of lines on this one)
13) Either Side of The Same Town
14) Man Out Of Time
15) In The Darkest Place

Encore 1

16) PL+U*
17) Shipbuilding
18 ) Sleep of The Just

Encore 2

19) When It Sings
20) Still
21) Can You Be True
22) Good Year For The Roses*
23) Brilliant Mistake (Who hoo!)
24) Deep Dark Truthful Mirror -> You Really Got A Hold On Me -> DDTM

Encore 3

25) When Green Eyes Turn Blue
26) Clubland* into...
27) Almost Blue
28 ) I Still Miss Someone**
29) Let Me Tell You About Her**
30) I'm In The Mood Again**
31) Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4 (no mic, Steve back on piano)

* Included Steve playing his thingy
** Just EC on piano

Steve was just amazing on MOOT and Brilliant Mistake. *sigh*, etc, etc.

Now I'm going to bed.
Last edited by PlaythingOrPet on Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Wowzer.

I know I am a spoiled brat for having seen as many great shows as I did during the many-legged WIWC tour, but damn I am jealous. Where are the other US dates, hope, hope???

How I'd love to hear IN THE DARKEST PLACE and SLEEP OF THE JUST. Sigh.

ER, congrats on the double digits, and many happy returns to you.

Buns, a very happy and joyous (if early) birthday to you too, you young thang wise beyond your years. And I won't touch the great straight line about Steve and his thingy...!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I cover the waterfront...but they probably won't play Kalamazoo's State Theater....HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?!!??!?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

You missed this `star`. Plaything....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/co ... _page.html

Star's ex to marry his lover Oct 11 2003

CORRIE EXCLUSIVE 2

By Fiona Cummins Ms Showbiz

HELEN Worth's ex-husband Michael Angelis will today marry the lover who broke up his 21-year relationship with the Coronation Street star.

His wedding to Jennifer Khalastchi will be at a London register office.

The couple said yesterday: "We're happy and excited and looking forward to our big day."

Angelis, 59, a star in The Liver Birds and The Boys From The Blackstuff, married Helen in 1991.

Actress Helen, 52, forgave Michael when he admitted an affair in 1995.

But they split when he was caught with their neighbour a second time.

Corrie's Gail Platt will not be at the 11.30am ceremony as she was at an Elvis Costello concert in Manchester last night.

Jennifer added: "Helen knows about the wedding but the concert was a long-standing arrangement. It all happened a long time ago and we are friends now."
craigie*

Star Sighting in Manchester

Post by craigie* »

i spoke to Alan Bleasdale after the show, he was sat with Helen Worth and a bunch of other people (maybe even EC's mum?)

i shook his hand twice... i haven't seen him in nearly twenty years, since the Liverpool Philharmonic gig back in November 1984... it was something he had been remembering too!

really enjoyed the show, despite Shipbuilding... ;)

and i snagged a setlist... which was nice...
...and you think that you're a guest, but you're a tourist at best...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Gail Platt...who?

PoP you shouldn't really be talking about Steve playing with his thingy on here, there might be under-age readers!
John

Manchester concert

Post by John »

Concert fantastic. Three songs missing from above set list. Elvis also did Indoor Fireworks, Man Out Of Time and You Turned To Me. :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Wow! Sounds like a wonderful show. Happy bdays to ER and PoP!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

ER and Bunny, Happy Birthday!

Bunny, I know you said you had a cigarette before that show, but please tell me you had one after!! :wink:

Sounds like a fabulous evening. :)
Pov

Post by Pov »

Wow, this looks like the best setlist so far. How long was the show?
John

Post by John »

The show was about 2hrs 15mins
Elvis invited different sections of the audience to join in during the last song CCIUN4. After one particularly weak response he commented "must be City fans!"
Also join in bits during God's Comic and the Beatle's song.
Not sure he has to bother with so many false endings as we know from reading these pages that he'll be coming back.
Seen him 83 Sheffield, 89 Liverpool, 94 Liverpool twice and last night. Every time 10/10.
Let's hope he has an Imposter's album to promote soon. :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/enter ... 69879.html

manchestermusic
live reviews
Elvis Costello @ Bridgewater Hall

Mike Barnett

THERE has been some less than complimentary comment of late concerning Elvis Costello, or more accurately, his personal life, the vicissitudes of which he has committed to record on his latest album, North.

A suite of songs chronicling the breakdown of his 16-year marriage to Cait O'Riordan, once of The Pogues, and him taking up with glossy jazz chanteuse Diana Krall, My Aim Is True, his debut album from 1977, it most certainly is not.

And that's precisely the point, for in the intervening 26 years, Costello has rarely done what anybody expected, not least, though he might not care to admit it, himself, and North is a perfect example of his unpredictability.

Accompanied only by long-term musical lieutenant Steve Nieve, a pianist of depth and expression, he displayed just what a peerlessly timeless and versatile songwriter he is.

The emotion of the new material was laid out for all to hear; listening to it was a cross between being a fly on the wall at confession and hearing the final admissions of a condemned man.

Someone Took The Words Away was stark and bare, as was When Did I Stop Dreaming?, a song which betrays the clear influence of Burt Bacharach, Costello's collaborator on Painted From Memory in 1998. When Green Eyes Turn Blue was beautiful and romantic.

From his extensive back catalogue, God's Comic was full of cheeky vaudeville charm, his anti-war song Shipbuilding was delivered with a scabrous and unapologetic knowingness, while he milked the applause which followed A Good Year For The Roses with a look on his face which seemed to say "that's some song, isn't it?"

In truth, it was an expression he could have worn at any time during the two-and-a-half hour gig.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

see a scan of the ticket for this at

http://www.elviscostello.info/pic/memor ... hester.jpg
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

33 songs? Jesus, I only counted 30 in London! So how come it lasted no longer?

Is I'm Your Toy a Beatles song, then? An early one, I guess. Don't know it. Looks like Clubland was a segue though.

So all of North, except for Impatience, if we're including that.
John

Manchester

Post by John »

33 songs definitely correct, 34 if you count DDTM and YRGAHOM separately.
YRGAHOM was the Beatle's song. :D
Otis Westinghouse

God I'm so bleeding ignorant!!! I was wondering whose that was today! I just have whole voids with earlier beatles records. Know the hits only. What's I'm Your Toy then? There are just too many songs out there...

Love the Man City dig! :wink:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Which kinda tempo did he do Girls Talk at? Like the 10 bloody marys version, or the alternate version (like Dave Edmunds one) on the Get Happy bonus disk???
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

John, fellow Widnestian, were you at a different concert? As it is one of my favourites I'm certain they didn't play Indoor Fireworks, but I did miss out You Turned To Me, which I'll correct on the setlist (don't know why I didn't include that one 'cos it's on my scrawled list). And, to be a tad picky, the show started at just before ten to eight and finished at quarter past ten.

Thinking about it today, maybe it's not the best idea to play chunks of North's songs in one go, especially the first group of 5 after SWHOG. While Still and When It Sings received loud claps during the opening bars, as usual it was the well-known songs the loudest cheers were reserved for. Even I, a self-confessed North lover, was fidgeting while admiring the blue-lit backdrop and ceiling all the way through Fallen (my exact thought at the end was "Looks like we're losing them, Steve. Hurry up and start God's Comic!"). But, saying that, they really do come alive in this setting and in a way I can't explain. Maybe it's the fact that Elvis is there, singing to you, or the way the sound from him stamping his foot down echos around the hall at notable points or even Steve playing something you've never heard before on the song you've just been listening to on your stereo (he played an excellent opening to Can You Be True). The personal touch? Oh, and anybody who complains about them being devoid of melody is a fool and quite obviously deaf.

LC, it wasn't as fast as Edmunds'. I think it was just normal tempo (my brain isn't working very well today)

Spooks - do you mean in a post-coitus kind of way? Of course I did.

I said Steve played his thingy (what is it called, a melodica?), not with his thingy!

One more thing: Elvis doesn't talk to the Mancs much, does he?
Otis Westinghouse

How's the hangover? He obviously can't forgive them for being from where they're from. It hit me that when heard live, the North songs come across, as he said on Janice Long, like conversations, following a train of thought and expression, not verse/chorus hook stuff, more an exploration of a state of mind or a category of emotion. I think he had to do chunks so the cumulative effect could build up, and the way he used the mic differently and the whole drop in volume meant you were suddenly into a new phase. Glad he didn't (or did he? :) ) play IF, cos you were too spoilt if he did.

But come on, just how fantastic is Sleep Of The Just live? I think I could almost say it's my favourite vocal performance of his just because it demands all his power and expression to belt out those fabulous lines, and it's such an intriguing and engaging song. The way it goes from gentle to loud and back again... I've rarely been so moved by a live song, or had such a total physiological reaction to it. I knew it was going to be incredible, and it surpassed that.
Emotional Ricochet

Sorry John, Plaything is definitely right in saying that ther was no performance of Indoor Fireworks. I didn't think it was included and just double checked with my husband who particularly likes that song and would have remembered it.
I have been playing North in the car today. I wasn't that keen on it before but once you have heard the songs performed live they seem to take on more significance. They sound less similar and more individual. I am now totally converted.
Otis Westinghouse

And was it cool to hear your board name being sung to you? Am I right in thinking it's your birthday today too? Sorry if I've got confused. Very happy birthday to you, glad you've had a breakthrough with North, I'm off to listen to more, before I fall into reverie.
Emotional Ricochet

Hi Otis, thanks for the birthday wishes. It was Plaything's birthday today and mine yesterday. Actually I've just noticed its after midnight so make that yesterday and the day before.
It was good hearing him sing 'Emotional Ricochet'. I resisted the temptation to call out 'I'm over here'
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:x
Last edited by laughingcrow on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:God I'm so bleeding ignorant!!! I was wondering whose that was today! I just have whole voids with earlier beatles records. Know the hits only. What's I'm Your Toy then?
Otis,
You Really Got a Hold on Me is a Smokie Robinson tune, one of a few Motown covers by the early Beatles.

I'm Your Toy is a Gram Parsons song (originally titled Hot Burrito #64, I think) which EC covered on Almost Blue.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"