Royalty Theatre, 23 November 1986

Pretty self-explanatory
Ulster Boy

Royalty Theatre, 23 November 1986

Post by Ulster Boy »

25 years ago today. My first time travelling out of Northern Ireland to see an EC show, my mate and I got the season ticket for the first three nights. Absolutely blown away by the first night, basically a Blood and Chocolate set with some KOA and other goodies thrown in. Band in fine form, very intimate venue, standouts were I want you and the stroboscopes at the end of Poor Napoloen/Instant Karma (not!). Had to get the fantastic This is Tomorrow boot on the card cd this morning, had sort of forgotten about the bit during Watching the Detectives where he stopped singing to sort out a fracas at the front of the stage between fans and bouncers - love the band playing in the "silent" bit.

Anyone else here there that night?
Mikeh

Re: Royalty Theatre, 23 November 1986

Post by Mikeh »

Hello Ulster Boy, I was there the following night 24th. Solo show with the fantabulous world of travel, the eviction of a dissatisfied audience member, and a heartrending rendition of Please Stay which still stands out in my memory. Crikey, 25 years!?
History History

Post by History History »

....and Elvis dancing with a globe singing You're My World! What a great night!
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Ulster Boy - I too was there on the 23rd. I still talk about the gig to this day absolutely astonishing. B & C has long been my favourite EC album and, in a way, I guess that's because of this one night. I LOVED the end, like most of the audience I thought it would end after "Pump It Up" but when the band (+ Cait) came on for "Poor Napoleon/Instant Karma", and the house lights stayed down, I was blown away. The Attractions were perfect that night. For sheer staying power in my memory, that gig hasn't been matched, ever.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

The next night,24th, was excellent. First time I'd experienced chatty Elvis, and the slide show and props (Japanese God Jesus Monsters? Dutch ornaments that playd "Tulips from Amsterdam"?). Good focus on KOA material, lots of explanations of the origins of the songs, a snatch of Wild Mountain Thyme etc. Listened to the first of the 2-disc boot of it this afternoon in the car, will pop the 2ns one on later for more reminisence.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Yes - Cait was a guest on 24th as well, she came on to duet on Crimes of Paris.
DodgyTC

Post by DodgyTC »

I was fortunate enough to attend all 6 nights at the Royalty Theater, sitting in the 2nd or 3rd row every night (the days before online ticket purchasing). Still the best Elvis shows i have ever seen. Now those recordings would make a decent box set.

TERRY
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Have just listened to the boot of the third night, great fun. Had forgot about Volare.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Didn't go to any other nights as no tickets, but went to Daily Express 5-a-sides at Wembly instead (Uk blokes of a certain age will remember these)
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Ulster Boy wrote:... went to Daily Express 5-a-sides at Wembly instead (Uk blokes of a certain age will remember these)
those were the days...

Colin top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

we're probably of an age to make an ace side, Colin TB will do the destroyer role in front of the defence, not that Everton ever had many "dirty" players < except maybe Howard Kendall ! I think I saw the shows on the 24th and 25th though I'm sure I saw Poor Napoleon. kept a diary from that time, will dig it out. I sat next to a loud Irishman way back in row R or something on the 24th and when the bloke asked for his money back after "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" , the Irishman shouted "Chuck the fucker out !!" I was petrified it would have come out on my recording at the time .
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Are there recordings from Nov 27th and Nov 29th? I have the rest.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I've got all six nights, Doc, send me your address and I'll snail mail copies - don't have time to do dime at present (gulp)!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote:we're probably of an age to make an ace side, Colin TB will do the destroyer role in front of the defence, not that Everton ever had many "dirty" players < except maybe Howard Kendall !
Yes I could give someone a mighty whack with my Zimmer!!!!!!

Howard wasn't dirty. The dirtiest Everton player I've seen became your manager for a short spell - Bruce Rioch

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I seem to remember you could buy a season ticket fromthe Royalty Theatre for 2x3 nights or all 6 nights.

The first night was awesome. A fight broke out after the first few songs following a blitz of songs up to 1979. Elvis pacified the crowd. I've got some pictures from my instamatic camera.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote: I've got some pictures from my instamatic camera.
Let's see 'em!
DodgyTC

Post by DodgyTC »

Yes they did sell 'season tickets', 3 tickets for a slightly discounted price, so you got to see all 3 different nights. I purchased 2 season tickets covering the 6 nights.
I took a camera to the 2nd solo night, I only have a couple of low quality pictures. You can see the screen and slide projector and Elvis and Cait singing together.
Attachments
img188.jpg
img188.jpg (169.14 KiB) Viewed 16062 times
img187-1.jpg
img187-1.jpg (179.6 KiB) Viewed 16062 times