Interesting version of It's Time on YouTube

Pretty self-explanatory
TX_Fan

Interesting version of It's Time on YouTube

Post by TX_Fan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lukShUnt8Y

thanks for sharing "2metersessies"

I looked briefly for the YouTube thread...no luck, sorry

still looking for a "Sleep of the Just" video from spinning songbook tour...oh well
stricttime81

Re: Interesting version of It's Time on YouTube

Post by stricttime81 »

That was pretty cool, thanks
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A song that was , at the time of release, thought to be about then British prime minister John Major. Looking back now it was probably just as much , in a sub-conscious way , about Cait.
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

I've always loved that song...(of course, that can be said for a great many of his songs)

I liked the section in the liner notes from ATUB:

" In a strange way, "It’s Time" was the sequel to "Tramp the dirt down". This is indicated by an absurd line in the last verse: "…but if you do have to leave me. Who will I have left to hate?"

As I read what I have described, it seems to have been a time that was incredibly serious and rather wretched. I should perhaps point out that while I was arguing with myself in this quietly demented fashion, I was also drinking very large quantities of alcohol. That’ll work for you every time if you really want to remain miserable. "
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Have you seen the solo performance of it on the Tonight show w/ Letterman, TX Fan? Absolutely brought the house down. I also note it's one of the songs he seems to have since retired...I'm pretty sure he skipped the "you told the same joke to me" verse then, and it has a slightly different lyric here.

In any case that verse seems like a bit of an anticlimactic diversion from which it doesn't really recover much steam before the end climax (quite a feature of the Letterman performance). Probably couldn't make up his mind about it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

New link , with additional details -

'Elvis Costello - It's Time (2 Meter Sessies, April 14, 1996) '

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... av34U1W264

http://www.2metersessies.nl/2011/11/elv ... r-sessies/

TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

bambooneedle wrote:Have you seen the solo performance of it on the Tonight show w/ Letterman, TX Fan?
I haven't...couldn't find it out there anywhere either. Anyone know where this video may be found?

Thanks John F. for the additional details!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Also a version of "All This Useless Beauty" from the same session:

http://www.2metersessies.nl/tv/elviscostello/

This TV show seems to have been going for 25 years and has a proper online archive of past sessions. Worth a browse.

Of EC's 1996 session, Jan Douwe Kroeske writes:

“Deze week was-ie even in ons land, Melkweg Amsterdam, samen met zijn begeleidingsband the Imposters: Elvis Costello. We kennen hem in veel en verschillende verschijningsvormen. Al in 1989 mocht ik de man interviewen en in het Noord-Hollandse Bergen een drietal nummers van z’n album Spike The Entertainer opnemen. Solo. Zeven jaar later (sessie nummer 562) stond hij weer in de 2 Meter-studio. Ook in z’n uppie. Verschil tussen de eerste en de tweede ontmoeting was dat de opname van 1996 bijna werd afgelast door Costello zelf. Nova-verslaggever Jan Eikelboom, die even een interview tussendoor kwam doen, had blijkbaar de verkeerde vragen aan onze gast gesteld. En als Costello ergens niet van houdt dan is het wel dat hij verkeerd begrepen wordt door journalisten. Gelukkig bracht een korte wandeling door een weiland in Nederhorst den Berg Costello weer op het juiste pad en deed een paar fraaie nummers, waaronder All This Useless Beauty

Google Translate renders this into English thus:

"This week-he was just in our country, Melkweg Amsterdam, along with his band the Imposters: Elvis Costello. We know him and in many different forms. Already in 1989 I was the guy interviewing and in North Holland Bergen three songs from his album Spike The Entertainer recording. Solo. Seven years later (session number 562) he was back in the 2-Meter studio. Even in his uppie. The difference between the first and the second meeting was that the inclusion of 1996 was nearly canceled by Costello himself. Nova reporter Jan Eikelboom, who just came to do an interview in between, apparently had asked our guest the wrong questions. And if there is one thing Costello does not like it is that he is misunderstood by journalists. Fortunately, after a short walk through a meadow in Nederhorst den Berg, Costello was back on the right path and did a few nice songs, including All This Useless Beauty "

MOOT
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

excellent version, anyone have the whole show to post?

The version full band version of It's time on the Live A Case For Song from The Later Tonight on Jools Holland is also a killer.

Love this song.
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

bambooneedle wrote:Have you seen the solo performance of it on the Tonight show w/ Letterman, TX Fan? Absolutely brought the house down.
Looks like someone finally posted it on YouTube....thanks "What's for afters?"

Very cool....I like the Elvis serious look/stare after the song
Looks like he's wearing the same shirt from "A Case for Song"