Half empty venues vs. ticketprices

Pretty self-explanatory
VonOfterdingen

Half empty venues vs. ticketprices

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Maybe this is discussed elsewhere but the recent reports from EC's solotour and the upcoming concert in Malmö (where I'm going) made me wonder about a few things.

- How does EC feel about playing in front of 500 people when there is room for 2.600 (as in Praque)? From the reports he gives it everything but I can't help but wonder how he feels about it.

- Is he so expensive solo that you have to charge 200 dollars for at ticket (my Malmö price) or does the venue chose the extreme price? By comparison The Spinning Songbook in Aarhus next summer is 100 dollars). Last year concert in Tivoli, Copenhagen also had an extreme pricetag, and it wasn't close to sold out.

It must be pretty tough playing for empty seats night after night and from a selfish point of view I fear it will affect his perfomance in Malmö or (worse) his desire to return to these parts of Europe anytime soon. And shouldt he be less expensive to book solo? The venues with The Imposters arent much bigger than the solo-shows.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
when i was cruel

Re: Half empty venues vs. ticketprices

Post by when i was cruel »

I think it's more to the effect that, and we on this board might not want to admit it but Elvis isn't and never has been as widely loved musician. And he just cannot compete in popularity and seats sold as say Drake, Katy Perry or Justin Bieber.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

I don’t think this is about money. Three years ago - same place in Prague - same seats - but Woody Allen - ticket price 2990CZK and the Congress Hall was full...and this year - Elvis and the ticket price 2200CZK...I agree he is in not as popular in these countries. I think this could be specialty of post-communist countries where music like this was not allowed to play on public...The most of future solos are sold out so I believe that your show in Malmö will be great. But I really appreciate the fact he came to Prague despite he had to suspect that. He said he would like to come again with band sometimes so no heart feelings about "only" 500 people I guess.
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

I don't think its the price. Belfast, the Hall was about a half to two-thirds full (its a 2,000 capacity, so I reckoned about 1,200). Lots of the empty seats were "prime" ones and I believe these had been given to sponsors of the Belfast Festival who simply didn't turn up. The price was £35, which compares of with £30 for Steve Earle who I saw in a glorified pub on Saturday night, and the ridiculous £60 - £120 Van Morrison is charging for a gig here next February (in an 8,000 seater arena I doubt he'll fill).

Here, its probably a combination of his generally lower media presence, the tour is not tied into a hard-sell promotion of an album, and he hasn't been a particularly regular visitor to Belfast over the years (last headline show here was 1999). Might also be some residual resistance stemming from a spate of cancelled gigs here in 82/83. And a wider UK thing that still has many people seeing him as the 1970's Top of the Pops/Oliver's Army guy who "went a bit funny". Even the brief callouts for songs from the Belfast audience were unimaginative - Mystery Dance, Pump it up, Alison...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

when i was cruel wrote:I think it's more to the effect that, and we on this board might not want to admit it but Elvis isn't and never has been as widely loved musician. And he just cannot compete in popularity and seats sold as say Drake, Katy Perry or Justin Bieber.
I've never heard of Drake! ..........I know Drakes Cakes - makers of Devil Dogs; but I fear I'm out of touch beyond the point of return.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I dunno, it sounds like a straightforward miscalculation to me - over-estimating demand for the 'product.' Since EC never seems to have been terribly brilliant at managing his career this may be the likeliest explanation.

Conversely, it could be a matter of economics, such that EC (or his management) find it more profitable to risk lower turnout at higher prices, then slightly higher turnout at lower prices. E.g., if EC's base is relatively small and relatively affluent, which I suspect it is, then it makes sense to demand inflated ticket prices. Right?

Of course, this fails to explain the choice of larger venues. But I suppose even that could be part of the calculation: 'well, we figure on a minimum of 500 people at these rates; but there is the possibility of more, so let's leave the option for added gravy...'
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I think the solo shows do not sell as well as the Imposters shows.

Elvis to be is an aquired taste, 30 odd years into his career he is doing well to still be playing to as many people as he is. The only show I have been to that was half empty was the Tower Of London show. But I believe all the shows at that festival were a bit light on crowds. Bryan Ferry I believe cancelled one of his shows.

Apart from the RAH which of course has added a show, does anyone know how the tickets are going for the rest of the spinning songbook tour.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I know he isn't a huge name in many peoples mind (most people here know him by name but can't name a single song) but what I don't understand is lesser or similar names selling out all the time in Copenhagen. Unless its the ticket price thats usually much lower than 200 dollars.

What still puzzles me is why it's only 100 dollars in Aarhus next summer with a full band at a venue not much bigger the Malmö.

Does anyone know concertbooking? Does he have a fixed price for a tour and then the venue/booker can charge what they want? I know when he played in Copenhagen 2010 Tivoli outbid the better venue (called Vega). And their prices ended up being much more expensive than it would have ever been at Vega.

Anyway - I don't mind expensive tickets for an EC-concert but many would never go see him - or give him a chance - at those prices.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, I'm always curious about Elvis's popularity. In 1994 I went to see him at the Royal Albert Hall, and it definitely wasn't full - but it does appear to be sold out on Wed 23rd May next year. Does that simply mean that the tickets have been sold to lots of different agencies, though?

I usually see him in London, and venues like the Royal Festival Hall, the Barbican, Shepherd's Bush Empire, Hammersmith Apollo and the dear departed Astoria always looked crammed with people - sold out. But can he fill two nights at the very, very large Albert Hall? I hope so!

As someone else said, the only London gig I've seen looking empty was the Tower of London - such a shame - but I seem to remember the tickets were astronomically expensive - 60 quid, I seem to recall!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Neil. wrote:Yeah, I'm always curious about Elvis's popularity. In 1994 I went to see him at the Royal Albert Hall, and it definitely wasn't full - but it does appear to be sold out on Wed 23rd May next year. Does that simply mean that the tickets have been sold to lots of different agencies, though?

I usually see him in London, and venues like the Royal Festival Hall, the Barbican, Shepherd's Bush Empire, Hammersmith Apollo and the dear departed Astoria always looked crammed with people - sold out. But can he fill two nights at the very, very large Albert Hall? I hope so!

As someone else said, the only London gig I've seen looking empty was the Tower of London - such a shame - but I seem to remember the tickets were astronomically expensive - 60 quid, I seem to recall!
60 quid is a bargain :) Or a least what would be almost cheap EC-tickets in Denmark. Ive seen him sold out with the Imposters in Copenhagen and in Hamburg and semi-solo with Steve Nieve in Ringsted (outside Copenhagen). But also far from sold-out at Tivoli and the second day of The Secret Songs, at the Opera in Copenhagen.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Neil. wrote:As someone else said, the only London gig I've seen looking empty was the Tower of London - such a shame - but I seem to remember the tickets were astronomically expensive - 60 quid, I seem to recall!
And I seem to recall you paid far far far less than that Neil. :lol:

It was an exorbitantly expensive show.

What's weird is that I posted something on this thread last night and it's gone. It was nothing controversial either :?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

And I seem to recall you paid far far far less than that Neil.
*Ahem*, yes, Verbal, thanks to your skills and charm - I will be eternally grateful!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Neil. wrote:As someone else said, the only London gig I've seen looking empty was the Tower of London - such a shame - but I seem to remember the tickets were astronomically expensive - 60 quid, I seem to recall!
And I seem to recall you paid far far far less than that Neil. :lol:

It was an exorbitantly expensive show.

What's weird is that I posted something on this thread last night and it's gone. It was nothing controversial either :?

I was sitting at the front and paid £75. Plus I bought tickets for Mrs Sheep and Baby sheep.

I would be surprised if the 2nd Royal Albert Hall show sells out but, and I dont know how these things work. Would they look at the demand for tickets before they add another show?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

VonOfterdingen wrote:60 quid is a bargain
God and everyone is amazed at the astronomical £42.50 at the Cambridge Corn Exchange! I know people who aren't going as a result. 'I like him but not that much...' Ticket prices in many countries seem to be absurd.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I think the overseas ticket prices are subsidising the UK ticket prices. The cost of the solo shows is expensive by comparison.

It will be interesting to see the prices of the European Songbook shows.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?