Elvis & The Imposters, Dublin, May 9 '12

Pretty self-explanatory
MOJO

Re: Elvis/'Spinning/Dublin, May 9 '12 -promo. interview

Post by MOJO »

Maybe you can live tweet from the go go cage? We expect this John! Do it, man.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve Nieve posts to Facebook -

Heading to Dublin for the start of the Revolver tour of Europe..
Autographed copies of 'Lazy Point', 'Mumu' and 'Windows' can be obtained by making a personal appointment, (rendez vous at Stage Door 1hour before concert begins). Send request to expediteur@aol.com
All Disks €15 or £12....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I think a chap who, like me and another "phile" recorded theSugarcanes Dublin show in 2010 is going tonight and will record for us - and I'm hoping to record the 9 I'm going to see :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW...NINE sulky??? woo-hoo. that destroys any one year or tour record of mine other than E STREET REUNION 2000. so glad you are partaking to THE MAX! looking forward to all your recordings. 8) ENJOY THEM ALL!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
Minutes away from Costello , I could tell you who I'm sitting beside but I won't , famous though , very
Point/O2 surprisingly full for #elviscostello I'm happy to report. http://pic.twitter.com/T2jO1mr3
Jackpot with first spin of Elvis's big wheel. I can't stand up for falling down... #elvis http://pic.twitter.com/Sm15KfSK
Every day he writes the book. #declanmcmanus http://pic.twitter.com/iSCXv7rX
He don't want to go to Chelsea #declanmcmanus http://pic.twitter.com/qvUwx1D5
It's been a good year for the roses #declanmcmanus http://lockerz.com/s/207713559
Alison #declanmcmanus http://pic.twitter.com/faU4bvcE
Elvis: "I knew it was Johnny Cash by his belt buckle. There was a large white eagle and the letters J.C." #elvis http://pic.twitter.com/yUWXiTuw
Watching the Detectives #elvis http://instagr.am/p/Ka094zJtwX/
The hammer of song #declanmcmanus http://pic.twitter.com/FJmngAWx
"What's so funny 'bout peace live and understanding?" http://pic.twitter.com/5gyJzfrS
Elvis Costello will not stop playing. Almost three hours now at The O2. Great it you're a fan. If not, help! Its like Guantanamo Bay
Standing ovation from the O2. And I think the sale of go go cages is about to skyrocket :-) Phenomenal show.
There are no words to describe Elvis Costello's version of 'I Want You' in Dublin tonight. I'm in pieces.
Amazing show tonight though he did a bit of musical wanking off at the end there for a bit too long! http://twitpic.com/9j8tjh
This just in: He played Suit of Lights. I repeat. HE PLAYED SUIT OF LIGHTS! #elviscostello
Superb show from Elvis Costello in the O2 tonight. Sneaky inclusion of "Cockles & Mussels" in "What's so funny" missed by audience tho #fail
Yes, "Happy" came up on the wheel and he did Stand up/Hi Fidelity/5 Gears & King Horse. Later on Motel Matches came up.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hell of a show , c.3 hours, still processing it, would have preferred if it was a standing gig, Elvis croaky now 'n then, dynamite version of National Ranson #5, apocalyptic finisher with I Want You , helped by all being on their feet, me by the stage, great to see Elvis in such confident, relaxed form , fab. to see the venue stuffed - I'm only fit for bed now!
manoutoftime

Post by manoutoftime »

Agree with John should have been some standing. Very numb crowd, he hinted to the crowd twice during a blistering overture to stand. Then Get Happy jackpot was the first spin and he kicked off with I can't stand up, practically giving the crowd licsence to get up. I was tempted needless to say but was conscious of the crowd around me (was six rows deep from stage). After his last can't stand up.... he turned to Davey Farragher and made a face as if he was playing to the living dead and then lashed into High Fidelity. Again another stomper no movement, King Horse, Chelsea, Everyday I write the book, please please me and a few others went by, no one budged but in fairness to the crowd they gave great applause after each song.
Olivers Army then came up, not my favourite and probably one Elvis would rather not play, I got up reluctantly as I thought of all songs surely this would get it going, No! And I got the evil eyes! Back in your seat!
Eventually Pump it Up done it, 5 songs from the end.
Now don't get me wrong, it does not say on your ticket that one has to get up and rock, it all depends on the dynamic of the show, however the dynamic of this show had a blistering start - the overture followed by Get Happy (which I think was a fix to get people moving),didn't do it.
Standing is a must for these gigs I think, as the show is so dynamic and so bloody good, there is a fear that you might get :roll: :roll: when you want to let the hair down. Very numb crowd indeed, we are all getting old.
Highlights - Get Happy (I can't stand up, high fidelity, 5 gears in reverse and King Horse), Elvis going walkabouts during Watching the detectives, Still have that other Girl, josephine/jimmie/mandolin and I Want You, unreal version.
Performance 10/10 - Venue 6/10.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Yeah, this happened at nearly all of the shows I went to in Florida. People just don't seem that eager to stand up throughout the show. I kept doing the same thing, getting up for songs only to get a glares from the people behind me and being told to sit down. Like you said, it's seems like this concert is so suited for a standing crowd that just sitting and watching feels so passive and dull.

Still, they put a great show and eventually the crowd catches one, sometimes too late. I do think he's used to it and really doesn't mind because of the venue.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/151

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Dublin, Ireland
May 9th, 2012

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

"Happy" Jackpot - Spin 1

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Five Gears In Reverse
King Horse

Chelsea - Spin 2

Good Year For The Roses - Spinner's Request

"Cash" - Spin 3

Cry Cry Cry

Motel Matches - Spin 4

Please Please Me - IMPROMPTU

Alison - Spin 5 - Double Spin

Beyond Belief - Spin 5 - Double Spin

Watching The Detectives/Help Me - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs

Oliver's Army

"Joanna" Jackpot - Spin 6

I Still Have That Other Girl

She

Everyday I Write The Book - Spinner's Request

Interlude

A Slow Drag With Josephine - Napoleon Solo

Jimmie Standing In The Rain - Napoleon Solo

Who's The Meanest Gal In Town, Josephine - Napoleon "Ukulele" Solo

Suit Of Lights - IMPROMPTU

Veronica - IMPROMPTU

National Ransom No. 9 - IMPROMPTU

Finale

Pump It Up

Peace, Love And Understanding - Spin 7

His Latest Flame

Uncomplicated/Purple Rain

I Want You
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

I mostly enjoyed the show but wouldn't go overboard about it. It does have an odd dynamic and whilst the song choice is good, after about an hour I had a strange sense that something was lacking. Spoke with my mate on the way home (he's also a long-time fan) and he reckons its that there's a "tiredness" about the routines and the band's playing - its definitely an "Imposters" rather than an "Attractions" sound, guitar way too loud, and not particularly well played - and that there's not much left for Costello to surprise us with (and we're both veterans of the Royalty in '86, when the wheel had context within a three-night show).

Last half hour was very strong, Purple Rain and I want You real highlights, PLU overstayed its welcome somewhat. Earlier, Please please me was simply dreadful.

I came away reasonably contented, but I actually enjoyed the solo show in Belfast more.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A day later I'm finding that my post-show euphoria is getting revised somewhat, my earlier comments being more informed by tiredness and relief that the show wasn't a under attended disaster. Ulster Boy encapsulates things well. Good as Elvis' performance was, he is capable of so much better, something more challenging etc. I'd forgotten how bad Please Please Me was, like a jumped up wedding band. The seamy side of the show - 'She'll show you how to get grip'', the dancing girls etc - was momentarily funny but is so at odds with the sophistication of the lyrics etc. Wait 'til the London media starts in on Elvis about all that and Elvis starts doing his 'betrayed by my homeland' routine. I'm still glad to see him looking well and there were indeed some magnificent performances - National Ranson#9, Suit Of Lights, I Want You. Here's hoping he gets all this retro stuff out of his system and starts getting productive again.

Here's some footage of last nights hijinks -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WipkTENf ... ature=plcp

Elvis Costello, Dublin, May 9 '12 - 'Help Me/'Detectives/ 'hammer' spiel
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Interesting reviews from the two of you.

It must be quite difficult for The Imposters to keep up their enthusiasm given that this show has overall seen quite a number of dates so far with more to come. They're on stage the best part of 3 hours so there must be a lot of dead time.

Elvis' 3 hour stint means his voice will be near to packing up by the time he gets to London. Good thing I'll have seen him a few times before that :lol:

Was there a lot of banter by Elvis? And more importantly, were many males picked to spin the wheel? :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fea ... 02067.html

Elvis Costello

It was a great idea then and it’s an even better idea now. Back in 1987 (or thereabouts), when a nascent version of this show was performed at Dublin’s Olympia across several nights, Elvis Costello’s back catalogue was a mere 10 years old. Now, he has God knows how many more songs across God knows how many music genres and styles.

But how to engage an audience of (I’d guess) mostly fans and some casual observers without short-changing the former or irritating the latter? The answer is both complex and simple: let fate determine the set list. Or, perhaps more truthfully, a fate determined within the parameters of a song-based Spectacular Spinning Songbook.

And so the likes of audience members Adele, Mary, Una, Emmet and a few more unsuspecting types (all unafraid, let it be noted, to shimmy unashamedly in the onstage go-go cage) spun the wheel, resulting in Elvis Costello and The Imposters springing into action and getting stuck into a selection of songs that included Alison, (I Don’t Want to go to) Chelsea, Beyond Belief, Oliver’s Army, She, Motel Matches, Everyday I Write the Book, I Still Have That Other Girl, Veronica, Suit of Lights, and Pump it Up.

As a reasonably random choice of songs from Costello’s extensive back catalogue there wasn’t a dud. As a display of yet another side to Costello’s many stringed bow, it was as much a pleasure to see him channel his inner Tommy Cooper and Woody Allen as it was to realise that, in the middle of all the gaiety and wisecracks, he’s still got the nerve and steely self-possession to conclude a lengthy show (it lasted for almost three hours, no intermission) with a guitar-shredding version of I Want You, the hands-down winner amid Costello’s collection of intense, emotionally visceral songs.

One can only presume that there’s a certain irony at play: the show began with a sprightly rendition of I Hope You’re Happy Now and ended with an obsessive howl. Most edifying, most amusing – God’s comic, indeed.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Interesting reviews from the two of you.

It must be quite difficult for The Imposters to keep up their enthusiasm given that this show has overall seen quite a number of dates so far with more to come. They're on stage the best part of 3 hours so there must be a lot of dead time.

Elvis' 3 hour stint means his voice will be near to packing up by the time he gets to London. Good thing I'll have seen him a few times before that :lol:

Was there a lot of banter by Elvis? And more importantly, were many males picked to spin the wheel? :wink:
VG, couple of points: there was a mix of genders selected, started off with girls/ladies, all fans as one mouthed all the words to Chelsea, then a brother and sister (!) which drew some banter and then a young guy who made a bit of a tit of himself. Not much banter with the spinners, some of whom looked as if they'd "had a few". Not much new in terms of anecdotes, EC retold the tale of meeting Johnny Cash in London and later. Imposters were fine, the "spin" music kept them involved, and they had a break during the 3-song "Josephine" interlude, and the rhythm section got off during the "Joanna" slot. Steve Naive "called" I still have that other girl and it defeated EC's ability to sing it (he couldn't quite stretch to the highest notes and there was a lot of holding the mic as far away as possible).

I don't want to be entirely negative - it was enjoyable and couldn't argue with the song choices - but I find the Napoleon Dynamite schtick a bit wearing. The show started and ended with the two sneering/cynical/desolate flipside songs off Blood and Chocolate but I want you created the only tension of the night and was brilliant, aided by the stage drenched in blood red lighting, and the vocal being zinged around the auditorium like an out of control Dolby surround system.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

sweetest punch wrote:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fea ... 02067.html

Elvis Costello

It was a great idea then and it’s an even better idea now. Back in 1987 (or thereabouts), when a nascent version of this show was performed at Dublin’s Olympia across several nights, Elvis Costello’s back catalogue was a mere 10 years old. Now, he has God knows how many more songs across God knows how many music genres and styles.

[/img]
Yet I reckon 23 of the 31 songs could have been (and possibly were) played in 87...
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Favourite tweet:

Dublin full of referendum posters on how austerity isn't working but €6.50 for a small beer in the O2. Bit of a disconnect somewhere.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

strangerinthehouse wrote:Yeah, this happened at nearly all of the shows I went to in Florida. People just don't seem that eager to stand up throughout the show. I kept doing the same thing, getting up for songs only to get a glares from the people behind me and being told to sit down. Like you said, it's seems like this concert is so suited for a standing crowd that just sitting and watching feels so passive and dull.
Funnily enough I take a different view in that I think the format of the show doesn't really encourage people to get up and dance. The shows are in seated venues in the main. People are sitting down but won't know how much they'll be up and dancing for. You could have somebody spinning the wheel which then leads to a song which may or may not encourage dancing. Also, as many of the songs are impromptu you don't know if you're going to be dancing for one song, two songs etc. It seems odd to get up and dance for one song, sit down and then get up for another song.

It seems strange that Please Please Me has been getting a slating. Again, I thought the same thing about Elvis' version of And Your Bird Can sing which I thought was pretty poor.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Todays' Irish Independent has a ectastic review but doesn't seem to be on their website -

http://www.independent.ie/todays-paper/ ... rtainment/

There is this photo -

Elvis Costello, The O2 Dublin. 09.05.12. Pictures: VIPIRELAND.COM

I'll scan 'n paste it over the weekend if it doesn't pop up in due course.

A use of the 'papers search engine does alert me to this -

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/ind ... 01486.html

Cait finds love with NY comic Will

Sunday May 6 2012

USUALLY, an ex-member of The Pogues doesn't need much of an excuse to celebrate. But Cait O'Riordan has a very good one. She has found love with New York-based, hotly tipped comedian Will McNaull. However, before she can make the Manhattan transfer, O'Riordan, who was Elvis Costello's partner for 16 years, has exams -- she's doing a psychology degree at UCD.

I hope pyschology's gain won't be music's loss. She was brilliant in The Pogues, and she also had her own band, Pre-Nup -- which might come in handy one day for her and her new beau. Meanwhile, to distract from her finals, O'Riordan is planning a party for September 5. "The theme is the Eighties as a parallel universe," she told me. Sounds like a night out with the Pogues.

Also in swotland is Ranelagh model Ruth Griffin, who is doing a masters at Smurfit Business School in UCD. Griffin, who split up with her husband, rugby international Alan Quinlan, in 2010, exhorted me: "Cross your fingers for my exams." Consider them crossed.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Irish Independent

Friday 11 May 2012

John Meagher

There are showmen — and then there is Elvis Costello. For decades now, he has refined the art of commanding a stage.
Tonight’s performance is no less than a masterclass. To keep an audience at the edge of their seats for the best part of three hours is no easy feat, yet it’s something that Declan McManus — as he’s known to Her Majesty’s Revenue &
Customs — does with aplomb.

It helps that his music is so varied, and he’s not shy about playing his best known songs. He’s also a very funny presence — Jerry Seinfeld will do well to garner as many laughs in this venue on Sunday night. Furthermore, Costello has created a veritable funfair on stage — a big wheel, festooned with the names of dozens of his songs; a 'go-go cage' in which a pair of female dancers , and assorted members of the audience, can shake their hips to his music and one of those
strength testing gizmos in which you bang a metal base as hard as you can with an over sized hammer.

These attractions — and the assistance of figures plucked from the crowd— ensure that the set list varies each night. It’s a ploy that generates a sort of anything-goes environment and you get the impression that it keeps things interesting for Costello and his fine three-piece band,The Impostors.

The music spans an entire career and encompasses so many genres it can be difficult to keep up. Straight-up rock, lounge music, vaudevillian variety hall.... Costello chops and changes at will.

In truth the beginning of the show drags a little, despite Costello’s insistence on galloping through the songs. But it’s not long before flashes of his old brilliance comes through. ‘(IDon’t Want to Go to) Chelsea’ sounds immense - and Costello’s guitar playing Is a thing of real beauty - and it’s followed by a heartfelt rendition of ‘Good Year for the Roses’, replete with some judicious keyboard playing from long-term cohort Steve Nieve.

Old favourites 'Alison’ and ‘Oliver’s Army’ provide obvious highlights, but some of Costello’s newer songs can hold their own in such august company, not least ‘National Ransom’ from 2010.

Still, it’s the material from his early days that resonates most, and few of those present are likely to forget the outstanding set-closer any time soon. ‘I Want You’ is a virtuosic triumph — proof that his voice and his ability to coax magic from six strings remain as brilliant as ever.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Recording now on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=405195

Elvis costello & The Imposters
O2, Dublin
9 May 2012

Taped & Transferred by Kagee1

CA11s(cards)>CA9200>Edirol R09HR>Adobe Audtion>cdwave>tlh(flac 8)>you
On the Floor - FOB, DFC

01 Intro
02 I Hope You're Happy Now
03 Heart of the City
04 Mystery Dance
05 Radio Radio
06 First Spin
07 I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
08 High Fidelity
09 Five Gears in Reverse
10 King Horse
11 Second Spin
12 I Don't Want to go to Chelsea
13 Good Year for the Roses
14 Third Spin
15 Cry Cry Cry
16 Fourth Spin
17 Motel Matches
18 Please Please Me
19 Fifth Spin
20 Alison
21 Beyond Belief
22 Watching the Detectives
23 Hammer of Songs
24 Oliver's Army
25 Sixth Spin
26 I Still Have That other Girl
27 She
28 Everyday I write the Book
29 Encore Break
30 A Slow Drag with Josephine
31 Jimmie Standing in the Rain
32 Who's the Meanest Girl in Town
33 Suit of Lights
34 Veronica
35 National Ransom No 9
36 Encore Break 2
37 Pump It Up
38 (What's so funny bout) Peace Love & Understanding
39 His Latest Flame
40 Uncomplicated
41 Purple Rain
42 I Want you

First night of the European Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour from Elvis Costello
& his Imposters

A brilliant show from start to finish - Elvis was in fine form and the band were tight
as always.

I was eight row from the stage, dead centre and this one turned out pretty darn good.

No anomalies other than the dude beside me who insisted on singing badly out of tune
during some songs - he didn't do it too often but as you will hear he is out of tune.

Enjoy the show!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/musi ... 05481.html

Elvis gambles on song roulette

By Chris Wasser

Evening Herald (Dublin)

Saturday May 12 2012

Napoleon Dynamite has the floor. And there's a very big wheel behind him. But this isn't Winning Streak -- there are no cash prizes here. Just song titles (Oliver's Army, Everyday I Write the Book, Alison -- the list goes on). And the pretty assistant is watching.

She's making her way around the venue, looking for the next 'contestant'. Catch her eye and chances are you'll be invited to take a spin on the wheel. Maybe afterwards you'll enjoy a cocktail in the 'society lounge' and wiggle your ass in a tiny cage. Or maybe the little man in the purple suit will hand you a hammer (for the high striker). Ah yes, Elvis Costello has gone to a lot of trouble to ensure that his is a show like nobody else's. And, for the most part, the Spectacular Spinning Songbook works a treat.

circus

It really is a rock'n'roll circus. There's the ringmaster in his top hat (Costello, or 'Napoleon'); the supporting cast (his sublime backing band The Imposters and the dancers, the colourful props (that wheel sure is cool) and, of course, the star attraction. Which could either be Costello's voice or his rich catalogue.

It's a ridiculously fun and spontaneous show. It's also a brave move, handing over control of your set-list to the audience. But a surprisingly youthful Costello (57) is a master showman; a smooth operator with a cracking sense of humour and a superb array of players by his side. They can pretty much handle anything, effortlessly churning out a delightful combination of rollicking beats, bouncing keys and infectious riffs (I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down, Pump it Up and High Fidelity). It's just a shame that the final hour lets the side down.

The wheel takes a back seat. Elvis goes acoustic. I Want You lasts forever. It's a bit of a disappointment after everything that's come before.

"I'm afraid I won't know where to stop," he sings, dragging out an underwhelming finale. It would have been nice to come away wanting more, but by the time he and his gang eventually leave the stage, we're well and truly spent. HHHII
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

John - Will you be going to other shows on the tour? The Glasgow show seemed like a total blast. I can't believe they did Little Palaces. I'm sure there is more good vibes/good music to come... at a town near you! I hope you have tickets in hand for another show... We need your updates!