Elvis & The Imposters, Dublin, May 9 '12

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

Re: Elvis/'Spinning - Dublin, May 9 '12 - I won tickets!

Post by martinfoyle »

Taped interview with Elvis on RTE radio this morning, 25 minutes in

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rte ... %2D2012%3A
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/'Spinning/Dublin, May 9 '12 -promo. radio feature

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis in promo mode, commenting on songs selected by listeners who were, apparently, asked for them on the show last week. I hadn't heard that which is a pity as I'd have asked for Party Party!

Elvis talks about missing his Dad, how in the few times he's been stage since his passing he thinks about him etc. The dynamics of the Spinning Songbook show are detailed, with Elvis sounding excited about it. The songs are , in the main, the usual ones - Olivers Army , Alison, Everyday I Write The Book - getting the usual stories. The lady who requested 'Everyday says it always puts a 'pep in her step', which Elvis says he'll now use that in his spiel. When asked what he thinks about the ladies reaction he says thats ' between her and her priest'. The only other song selected,The Long Journey Home, is cited as being unusual, with Elvis saying he's had lots of out-of-the-blue reactions to it in America, from police men etc and saying he hasn't haerd it himself in a while.

The show has been getting a big push in recent days, big print ads etc. Tony Clayton Lea ( Irish Times journalist, one time E.C. biographer) Tweeted on Feb. 21 - Just off the phone with Elvis Costello. Still spiky! , so more media features on the way.

I'm looking forward to the show but it's still hard to see Elvis trading so blatantly on the whole 'heritage rock' angle. The few times I've managed to get non-fans to even think about him I've emphasised how ongoing his output has been, always bringing out new, vibrant stuff. And now all he seems interested in doing is a song 'n dance act , rehashing old songs etc. Just saying!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Irish Times flag an interview with Elvis Costello in tomorrow's ' paper

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wee ... 42889.html

The Irish Times - Saturday, March 17, 2012

Elvis Costello: full circle

The audience will spin a wheel to pick the songs the singer will perform at his upcoming Irish show. It’s a trick he used in the 1980s – but now he has more than 25 albums and 35 years of hits to choose from, writes TONY CLAYTON-LEA

IT’S A SHOW THAT NEVER ENDS and a man for whom no musical style is out of bounds. After 35 years he’s one of the most familiar, and versatile, men in music. But call Elvis Costello a polymath and he might bristle; offer him a matey “How are you?” and he might pretty much ignore you. Costello doesn’t do cheery chat very well, and he can seem to have so little time for small talk that you almost gird yourself for an onslaught.

He is doing some media interviews, nonetheless – not for a new album, one of which pops up with unforced regularity, but for his show at the O2 in Dublin in May, featuring the Spectacular Spinning Songbook. Think of an illuminated lottery wheel but with the names of songs by Costello in place of numbers; somebody in the audience gives it a spin, and wherever the pointer lands is the next song.

The Revolver tour isn’t the first occasion on which Costello has brought this kind of show to Ireland; we recall a slimmer version of it, and a thigh-slapping Costello, at the Olympia in the mid-1980s. Should we expect the same this time? “We thought we had a lot of songs back in 1986,” says Costello of the original blueprint. Chit-chat swatted away, he’s in strict interview mode. “We had had quite a few albums by then, but, of course, this time around there’s a tremendous amount of material. We don’t put every song we have written on the wheel, or even a representative of every type of record I’ve made, but it’s a pretty big selection.”

Dublin is the beginning of the European tour; according to Costello, “We’ll start with something that we loosely call the overture – about five or six songs that are fairly fast paced. The nature of the show is that it could stop and start too much if we’re not careful. That’s a given when you consider the randomness of the wheel choices.”

The nature of the song selection is an issue that could, in less astute hands, bring the show at first to a shudder and then to a halt. Surely not even the most avid Costello fan could withstand I Want You six times in a row. “You don’t go along to this show with the idea that it’s going to go smoothly from song to song. That said, in the way we have come to understand it now I don’t detect that the process we use creates a problem. You can get some shocks, of course. You can get what most people think might be the finale number to come up early in the show, or you can have a dark ballad up as the first song of the evening.

“Once in a while I’ll open the show with a most unexpected song, just to see what happens. I don’t have any particular fear about that; half the fun of it is that as the songs go around there’ll be a little bit of oohing and aahing going on as a particularly well-known song comes up near the top of the wheel, only to spin by and land on something not so well known. That then puts it on us to play that not-so-well-known song as if it’s the best one I’ve ever written. Usually, the way things work out, it’s never all one thing – never all hits or never all obscure. Now and again, though, you do get a run. Some things happen that can change the dynamic of the show – and that’s the real trick.”

You can see why such an ever-changing dynamic would appeal to a songwriter who has refused to allow traditional structures to tie him down to any one writing style. From punk rock to ballads, classical to opera, country to crooning, Tin Pan Alley to Desolation Boulevard and back, Costello has aimed to master them all.

Not everything he does might be to everyone’s tastes – and more than once he has been accused of dabbling where he’s not necessarily welcome – but no other figure in contemporary music has managed to go from one musical style to another while firmly holding on to his dignity.

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook displays the range of Costello’s music. “Well, yes, but I’m not making any statement with that display,” he says. “Out of that, of course, it comes up that certain shows lean this or that way, musically. Other people are doing things that address their back catalogue, such as performing entire albums; we’ve thought of that, but it just didn’t come together.

“What we’re doing here is a lot more fun, to be honest. It has the potential to go all over the place, but that’s fine, because there is no artistic statement being made. The songs themselves have their own integrity as compositions, and if you play them well then sometimes they’ll surprise you. They sneak up on you – or you sneak up on them. I’m not sure which way.”

Costello, who is closing in on his 60th year, has a back catalogue of more than 25 studio albums. What effect does the length of time he has been writing and performing have on him? “It certainly provides me with a lot of songs to consider,” he deadpans, “as well as giving me the pleasure of seeing people like Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas still play with me. Indeed, as time has passed that’s become more remarkable and valuable to me; that’s not a sentimental remark, either. I just genuinely think they’re great musicians, and there’s still a lot of fire in the way they play; they’re still trying to get better in many ways.”

We know from experience that it’s often pointless to refer Costello back to his angry-young-man days of 1977-8, yet he himself brings up the topic of bandmates through the decades. He points out that his current band, The Imposters, has existed longer than The Attractions, which in its original state also featured Nieve and Thomas. They bucked the punk-rock trend by being older, smarter and more aware of music beyond The Stooges and Velvet Underground.

“Those shows we played back then were great,” he says. “I’m not so sure of the fuss made about some of the early records, though: we think differently about music now, and it’s neither inferior nor superior; it’s just different.

“It’s the same way regarding the different ensembles I’ve played with over the years, or the different types of songs one writes. I mean, why on earth would songs on the album This Year’s Model sound like the songs on, for example, the album Painted from Memory?”

So snaps the man on the wrong side of 50. “You mean the right side of 60, surely.”

Elvis Costello The Imposters are at the O2 in Dublin on May 9th

Wheel of fortune Back-catalogue gems

You know Oliver’s Army, Accidents Will Happen, Pump It Up and Watching the Detectives. Here are some of the best Elvis Costello songs you might never have heard of.

Green Shirt (from Armed Forces, 1979) “Somewhere in the quisling clinic there’s a shorthand typist taking seconds over minutes . . .” A staccato backdrop, a spidery keyboard motif and a clipped, spooky vocal equal quality postpunk/pop.

Secondary Modern (from Get Happy!!, 1980) “It won’t be a problem till the girls go home . . .” Costello’s Stax-referencing album features 20 soul/pop gems. This is the zinger of them all.

Just a Memory
(from New Amsterdam EP, 1980) “Losing you is just a memory ­ memories don’t mean that much to me . . .” An arpeggio piano intro builds up to one of Costello’s classic slow songs that fuses regret and bitterness with tears.

Different Finger (from Trust, 1981) “I don’t want to hear your whole life story, or about my strange resemblance to some old flame. All I want is one night of glory – I don’t even know your second name . . .” Costello goes so old-time country you could be listening to Hank Williams.

Boy With a Problem
(from Imperial Bedroom, 1982) “It’s the last thing I want to do, pull the curtains on me and you, pull the carpet from under love, pull out like young lovers do . . .” One of Costello’s most beautifully resonant ballads from arguably his best album of the 1980s.

Jacksons, Monk & Rowe (
from The Juliet Letters, 1993) “They’re looking for you high and low, now there’s nowhere for you to go . . .” Costello collaborates with The Brodsky Quartet and quietly comes up trumps with an acutely executed string-driven pop song.

Let Me Tell You About Her
(from North, 2003) “Hush, now, I’ve said too much – there’s something indescribable I can’t quite catch . . .” One of Costello’s best yet most underrated albums channels one-for-the-road Sinatra with cool, collected smoky-jazz calm.
migdd

Post by migdd »

“It certainly provides me with a lot of songs to consider,” he deadpans, “as well as giving me the pleasure of seeing people like Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas still play with me. Indeed, as time has passed that’s become more remarkable and valuable to me; that’s not a sentimental remark, either. I just genuinely think they’re great musicians, and there’s still a lot of fire in the way they play; they’re still trying to get better in many ways.”

Thank you, God.
Last edited by migdd on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/'Spinning/Dublin, May 9 '12 -promo. interview

Post by johnfoyle »

What we’re doing here is a lot more fun, to be honest. It has the potential to go all over the place, but that’s fine, because there is no artistic statement being made
I know I'm banging on about it a bit but the above is the most depressing line in this feature. In it Elvis acknowledges in the most explicit way that what he's doing now is merely a song 'n dance act, a rehash of former glories etc. The complete lack of any new material or evidence of any being worked on is so at odd with his past form. With the commercial failure of National Ransom is it really possible that Elvis has, more or less, given up? Without wanting to be too self-aggrandising I like to think that being a Costello fan involves always watching out for new music and re-discovering , re-evaluating past material by Elvis and others.

I am , however, ruminating over a recent brief glimpse of something that might indicate that something new might be in the works. One of the videos from the Kennedy Center/Chuck Berry occasion showed Elvis' trusty sidekick in the technical dept. Milo Lewis bringing on guitars etc. Maybe he did the same thing at the Robert Johnson show two days before. I may be wrong but I assume Milo is U.K. based. Would Elvis really fly him over to the U.S. just to do an evening or two of work at awards shows? Could it be possible that he has a larger on-going role involving Elvis in a recording situation?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

If Milo was there, there has to be more to it than just being a stage lackey - he's now too much part of Elvis' "entourage" to just carry guitars to and fro!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I too have had the recurrent sinking feeling as I watch Elvis embark on a second year of touring with the Wheel, and especially now that he's promoting the shows and talking about nothing else. Very strange to see an interview with him in which he doesn't mention upcoming projects, etc. and the interviewer (here, one who wrote a book about Elvis, didn't he?) doesn't bring it up either. I hate to think of Elvis becoming a novelty act or a nostalgia act.

That said, I voiced my opposition to the extension of the songbook tour last spring, only to find myself having a great time at the shows (and even dancing in the cage). I maintain my belief that Elvis will move on from this stage and do something new in the near future. Perhaps that Austin Powers musical is in the works. Perhaps something else.

Elvis has done tours that seemed liked treading water before. Who can forget the "Visa card" tour, where he really was mostly a nostalgia act, playing the hits from the Columbia era to sell the Hip-O reissues? That was kind of depressing as well. But he followed it with 3 years of new stuff and wonderful shows.

It may be that he needs a breather, given the death of his Dad and such. If Ross was suffering from Parkinson's, this was probably a pretty long illness and it may have dampened EC's creative muse for a while. I doubt he felt like writing songs about the situation, or with it weighing on his mind, and he may have seized on the Wheel tour as a fun thing to do, a way to play obscurities while still doing the hits, and a way to raise money. I always view the tours that aren't so expansive artistically as a means of financing the next one that will be, or the next recording that will be.

I do wonder about the formal documentary that was supposed to be filming these days. I certainly hope the first real documentary about EC isn't a record of him travelling around with the Wheel all the time. It's a sideline, not his path or the rest of his career.

My advice is to enjoy the shows this summer. The Wheel is a fun time and you'll probably hear a few songs you never thought you would hear live. So keep your fingers crossed for the next phase, and have fun in the meantime.

Dave
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Maybe he is in fundraiser mode. After losing mega bucks in that financial swindle. And the music industry being in shambles.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I spent the better part of the past decade lamenting that EC hasn't used the Internet to build a fun website he can use to record and release new songs for us to buy. It could still happen, but I'm past the point where I get worked up about it.

I'd be as excited as anybody if he suddenly announced a new album or two or three. But I get it.

National Ransom was Costello giving it his all-- one of the longest (THE longest?) albums of his career, a double-LP set of new songs, with The Imposters playing alongside various Sugarcanes and others like Marc Ribot, with T Bone at the helm... EC went into full PR mode, appearing on every show that would have him, and....

NOTHING.

The sales bump he got for the previous album must have mostly been down to copies being displayed in Starbucks, because NR was a far more accessible album and yet it just didn't click with the people who still buy records.

So I get why he might want to just tour around with The Spinning Songbook for a while. It's fun, people like it, and he gets just as much if not more attention and acclaim as he does if he knocks himself out writing and recording a new album.

His best work of recent vintage is met with a collective shrug even by critics who like his stuff. Who can blame him for not wanting to make a new record when an album like NR is so quickly forgotten?
krm

Post by krm »

FAVEHOUR wrote: My advice is to enjoy the shows this summer. The Wheel is a fun time and you'll probably hear a few songs you never thought you would hear live. So keep your fingers crossed for the next phase, and have fun in the meantime.
Dave
A very good advice indeed!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with him doing this tour - he's pumped out album after album for years, for little reward - this tour is a chance for him to make some money as he considers his next move. Don't forget, not all concert goers are 'in-depth' fans like us - lots of them will want the famous songs. But it sounds as though there enough oddities in these shows to make it exciting for die-hards.

Anyway, if it's true that he's working on a Broadway musical with Burt Bacharach and Mike Myers, he'll need a lot of time for that. I don't expect an album this year, that's for sure.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Whilst I'd never rule out the cynical "lets re-fill my wallet whilst I still can" approach, I think it's a bit more than that with Spinning. I think he really likes playing live and he's found a very successful vehicle to break away from the obvious one - greatest- hit-after-another formula. just recently he's performed Springsteen, Johnson and Berry tunes. This isn't the approach of a musician simply going through the motions. I can't wait for the show to hit Liverpool in May.

I certainly agree with CWR's analysis re his lack of commercial success, can't believe he isn't hacked off, but some of his moves have been commercial suicide so he can't have it both ways...

I'd be surprised if he isn't still writing songs in his garret. Previously he's described this as a form of madness where ideas just take him over. My guess is that we will hear new "product" , but it won't be anytime soon. Anyway I'd quite like him to put some quality time into producing that book he's previously threatened. He's got a real aptitude with that quill.To quote from the title of that fantastic boot I'm content to Expect the Unexpected...

Colin Top Balcony
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

You guys are reading into it too much. Oh, horrors, no artistic statement! Relax. It's a fun show. Don't over analyze and get hung up on something you think may or may not happen. I don't know about you, but I have enough stuff going on in my life to even care about what's next with Costello. I guess I'm not a hardcore fan. I just like to have a good time when Im out and about going to concerts. You will enjoy this show, I think/hope. If not, I'm quitting the board :)
- MOJO
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

MOJO wrote: You will enjoy this show, I think/hope. If not, I'm quitting the board :)
- MOJO
No, they WILL enjoy this show. It's fantastic for the die-hards. Isn't there enough video proof? Here's one of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfqiIm3xU4
Party Girl 2011
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hmm....'hugely arrogant' would do me just fine!

(Thanks to Nick for spotting this feature)

http://www.heinekenmusic.ie/interviews/5457/

Elvis Costello....spinning around

by John Erne
Thu, 15 March 2012

He started out as the self-proclaimed ‘Bug-eyed Monster From Planet Guilt & Revenge’, and is now approaching his 60th year as the master of all musical trades. As he brings his Spectacular Spinning Songbook show (where the audience get to pick the set list) to Dublin’s O2 on May 9, Heineken Music talks to Elvis Costello about what we can expect from his latest stage show venture.

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook show pivots on the random nature of audience members spinning a wheel and it landing on one song title that you and your band must then perform. Does that modus operandi appeal to your off-the-cuff showman instincts?

“It’s a different way for me to understand the songs, to be honest. Plus, people can be very good sports – they’ll get up on stage and go into the cage and dance whether or not they’re suited to it. Some people are surprisingly very good dancers; other people, who probably know in their minds that they should never dance, do it nonetheless, and do it with a good heart. There are no humans injured or killed in the making of this show…”

Is the mixture of upbeat and slow-moving songs balanced, or can it occasionally lean one way?

“Occasionally, we’ll take a break from proceedings and play a relatively new song from a recent recording, which means that no one in the audience knows it, and sometimes they can be the strongest emotional moments. The opposite of that is sometimes the older, better known songs – because they can come up out of the blue – can be performed with a freshness that makes you confront what’s in the song. So it’s beneficial for both the audience and us, the band. It’s quite a task for the band, because all the time, even while the mechanism of the wheel is spinning, they’re playing various cues or fills as a background. As they’re doing that, I’m doing my MC thing and generally meeting the people that come up.”

You say that new songs from your more recent recordings aren’t known – isn’t that a bit disingenuous?

“Not really. Yes, there are people who follow me avidly that know all the songs, but it’d be hugely arrogant to assume that everyone knows every one of them. We put songs up on the wheel from albums long ago, but we haven’t necessarily chosen the best known songs from the albums, just the songs we feel like playing, and ones that we think would be good to bring out of the shade.”

So it’s all about the balance of the songs, and trying to make the performance flow as best as possible?

“It’s the difference between say, 'Watching the Detectives', and an EP track from years ago called 'Hoover Factory'. Some audiences have more people in them that know the back catalogue really well, and they appreciate hearing the rare songs. People will surprise you, so can’t presume you know how things are going to go. We have a Joker in the wheel, and if someone gets that then they can name a song that might not even be on the wheel. That can be tricky!”

What criteria came to mind when you were selecting the songs?

“Because it isn’t, inherently, a smooth-running show in the way that you’d programme it yourself for a normal gig, we realized after a while that you have to choose the ballads intelligently. You also have to select the songs that we can readily remember – but, of course, you might have to wait up to ten shows into the tour to perform a particular song. Songs that ask more of the memory - those with, say, a labyrinth of chords - we need to rehearse those every soundcheck!”
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:“other people, who probably know in their minds that they should never dance, do it nonetheless, and do it with a good heart.”
Leave me out of this Elvis :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Dublin radio station has a competition for tickets!

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/P ... /Blog.aspx

Paul McLoone Show

Soft day! Now coming up on this here show tonight. More tickets you can spin a wheel at to see Elvis Costello at the o2 in May. Also another pair o' passes to The Meteor Camden Crawl also happening in May. Punk warriors be warned I have tickets to The Damned to boot.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Dublin show's promoter has a competition for tickets -

http://www.facebook.com/aikenpromotions

New print ads are appearing in newspapers here with ' next Wednesday!' flashed on them. This show is clearly needing a hard-sell - I wonder will Elvis be doing media stuff here this weekend?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ad. in Dublin 'paper for next weeks show

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis 'n the attractions in Dublin
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

I'm going. Have a few hours to kill in Dublin in the afternoon - whats worth doing?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

.......and so the Dublin show is nearly upon us. Besides a few interviews a few weeks ago Elvis seems to have done little to promote it. Print ads. aside there has been precious little media coverage. Given that there was a clear week between the last U.S. date and now he could easily have done the tv shows here over the weekend. I get the impression that sales have been healty enough so it won't be a matter of performing to an echo. I'm looking forward to the show, the Wiltern DVD having persuaded me that the show's format does have a dynamic that I hadn't previously realised. I'm going with a mate who hasn't seen Elvis before , doesn't even go to many rock shows , except for an occasional Frames show (but then that's his own personal tragedy). A few of the ladies from my book group are also going and are intrigued by the go go cage - I've told them that I'm expecting a special effort from them! I don't intend 'live Tweeting' 'n all that but will , of course, share all the details as soon as I can!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Have a few hours to kill in Dublin in the afternoon
Cheesecake 'n coffee in Georges St. arcade , along with a visit to Spin Dizzy records, for a start. Can't think of anything else - I guess I just take the place way too much for granted!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote: I don't intend 'live Tweeting' 'n all that but will , of course, share all the details as soon as I can!
Never mind the tweets, john. Who's doing the recording?