Elvis/Imposters/ Wellmont Theater, NJ, Oct.6 '11

Pretty self-explanatory
jmm

Re: Elvis/Imposters/ Wellmont Theater, NJ, Oct.6 '11

Post by jmm »

More on last night and spinning the big wheel

Had chosen the second Montclair show (vs. others in NYC this week) since it's only 1.5 miles from home and figured they would be sure to vary it from the 1st show. WOW was it different!

Sat downstairs in 10th row, stage right (vs. upstairs 1st night). Sound was MUCH better in the orchestra. EC & Imps came out and blistered thru the opening part of the show -- seemed very comfortable with 2nd night in the same hall. A highlight for me was Honey Are You Straight which I think is just great live and as a straight rock n roll song

EC came into the crowd to select the first spinner - a woman who had just come in at the back. Her husband was still parking the car! Once he came in (was sitting in the row in front of us), Katerina came to bring him on stage and brushed past me.

Show was off to a great start and as usual I was singing along with all the songs (not loud enough to bother others, I hope). During Why Can’t a Man, I got a tap on the shoulder and Katerina said “I see you singing along, would you like to come on stage?” I asked if my wife could come, she replied “just one person this time” and my wife said “GO!”. I was led back stage where I got to sit in the wings right next to Steve for Talking in the Dark and Kid About It. AMAZING. Steve screwed up the end of KAI and first sped thru it playing air piano and then on the keys to get back to the right part at the end.

When they finished it was my turn to spin the wheel.

EC called me out and Katerina led me there. EC said “I looked like a priest” and after I told him my name I played along that I was a former priest and he replied “me too”. He didn’t ask me what I wanted to come up on the wheel which was just fine since I was torn between the Sing a Rainbow and Happy jackpots, which we hadn’t heard the night before, and Oliver’s Army, which my wife said she wanted to hear on the way to the show.

I spun and up came Oliver’s Army!

Katerina brought me back to the “lounge area” and gave me a beverage. Said I could stay or dance, my choice.

After a quick sip and about at “Don’t start talking”, I figured WTF and climbed into the go-go-cage – which is not made for a 6 foot, 5 inch, 300+ lb dancer!

The crowd and band both seemed surprised and were very encouraging. I’m glad it’s a relatively short song. Seemed like when I started to falter Davey would give me a look like “you’re doing great, keep going”

I made it to the end. Got lots of high fives and kind words on the way back to my seat

Wouldn’t think it could get much better but it did.

Cry, cry, cry – Riot Act – the mini-set with Hubert Sumlin (with a very different take on Commit a Crime from the night before and Shake for Me as the first I remember seeing EC on harmonica only for a song). Hubert was out there hooked up to oxygen but clearly having a great time. I called out his name as they were taking the stage and he gave a nice smile at the recognition before the intro

Other highlights for me were A Voice in the Dark – Chelsea – Red Shoes all the way to PL&U

On the way out after the show, still lots of people were said they enjoyed me on stage and I just kept saying “I may not have been good but I committed and had FUN”

We have pics which I haven’t looked at yet, maybe even some highly embarrassing video will emerge? Anyway that’s how my 4th EC encounter went, quite a wonderful way to start off my birthday weekend!!
Last edited by jmm on Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

man....great to hear; sorry i missed it. two more reasons to love jmm, a fellow Libra AND a former priest too!!! bless me Father....
Last edited by bronxapostle on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

jmm wrote:Show was off to a great start and as usual I was singing along with all the songs (not loud enough to both others, I hope). During Why Can’t a Man, I got a tap on the shoulder and Katerina said “I see you singing along, would you like to come on stage?” I asked if my wife could come, she replied “just one person this time” and my wife said “GO!”.
Great account, jmm, and possibly enlightening for me as to why I got selected to go onstage in Charlotte in July. I was very into the show that night, in terms of just grooving to the songs and reacting to everything; he did the This Wheel's On Fire medley right before I got picked by Katerina, and I was just loving those songs. Maybe she noticed me being so enthusiastic and that's why I got picked. She had also stood next to me a couple times in Pittsburgh so maybe she noticed I was a frequent attendee.

Congratulations on getting onstage and going in the cage!!

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

so very glad that two of my oldest buddies here at the forum got selected. i can't say i'm jealous as i'd probably be ball busting benny and get E all pissed at me requesting they do something that was totally out of left field. or just being a general pain in the ass in some way, shape, form! or, it could go the opposite and i'd be the class clown and he'd be glad to have me there. let's see if 2012 indeed does give us more "wheel" shows and a chance to see if i have a date with destiny and the wheel too! hey elvis...how about imagination is a powerful deceiver, brilliant disguise, easy livin', bullet belt, i'm not angry or take it or leave it?
jmm

Post by jmm »

ah you'd do fine ba, but my question ba would sony have stayed behind or made it on stage too????
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nah, SONY would stay put. not for fear that e would get mad (i'd be giving him my "ANALOG SPIEL" if he inquired), but not to have a variance in the sound of my "production"!!! unless it was tape flip time, then it would HAVE to come to the stage. jack, i must buy blank cds tomorrow so i will mail you the anniversary (haha) show next week. my burning question: IS THERE VIDEO OF YOU DANCING???? at least point me to a picture PLEEEEEEEEASEEEEEE!!!! i couldn't find M at fb. please give her my name complete so she may invite me/us! and i sure could use your tele # once again as my new phone last month did not retain it. pm that when u can. kiss Joseph and Lily. might i ask a blatantly Catholic question...is it because St. Joseph is often depicted with a lily???? 8) 8)
jmm

Post by jmm »

as you scoll down in the link below the one after close in of ec & pete with the large person in the cage -- that's me

the pic of the wheel on oliver's army is right after

took a quick look this morning and I think we have better one

will get back later
Last edited by jmm on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nice jack...thanks for pointing out. sure maureen got more...i hope anyway! let the saturday run around begin...more later!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Lots of photos:
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... lo_21.html
This is cool:

But would have been cooler if it was the British import version that we all coveted back in the day...
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

He's a dancing fool!
jmm

Post by jmm »

thanks doc

fool - yes, for sure

dancing only somewhat, but I guess you can call it that
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

IS THERE A RECORDING FOR THIS SHOW? if not, i hereby request that the 2 or 3 area shows i can not afford yearly, someone buy me a ticket! :twisted: :twisted:
jmm

Post by jmm »

I'm in on the "send ba to the show" fund

I tried to get you to come to this one thinking it'd be special, but I had not idea how much
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:I'm in on the "send ba to the show" fund

I tried to get you to come to this one thinking it'd be special, but I had not idea how much
the ONLY thing i'm mad to have missed is jmm 'busting a move' in the go-go cage. damn, i wish there was a video!!

i knew you'd be an early registered benefactor! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/get-well-hubert/238
"Get Well Hubert"

Best wishes for a speedy recovery go to Hubert Sumlin who recently joined us at the Wellmont Theatre, Montclair for a run of songs that he first performed with Howlin’ Wolf.

Hubert’s spirit and humour are undimmed by less robust health and it was a gas for us to share the stage with him and heartening to see him get the acclaim that he received from those in attendance.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ANCT!!!!!!!!! did i scare you away with my OCD question about "say a little prayer"??? :lol: :lol: :lol: