'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov. '11

Pretty self-explanatory
Natasha

Re: 'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov.

Post by Natasha »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I think his people have once again indirectly been influenced by our views.
Now I'm pretty sure of that.
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Natasha wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I think his people have once again indirectly been influenced by our views.
They damn well should. He's got a very serious fanbase. Have they seen the EC wiki site?
krm

Post by krm »

docinwestchester wrote:
Natasha wrote:
They damn well should. He's got a very serious fanbase. Have they seen the EC wiki site?
we are serious?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Fantastic :lol:

I too was most taken by the very last sentence.

Elvis certainly gave permission for the shows to be recorded.

of course...who do you think buys me the cassettes and batteries??? THE SECRET IS OUT!
jardine

Post by jardine »

so is the timing of this suggestion to not purchase linked to the imminent release date? because the ridiculousness of the price is rather old news, as this thread attests to. . .at least back to Sept. 22 is when I first noticed the $345. Did he just not believe it to be possible until now? I mean, I realize that some of us didn't believe it could be true, but him too??

and yes, someone mentioned autographs...so he autographed things to be included and then found out the "cost" of having done so, and then . . .what?

I fully understand, what with dear Ross' condition, that he's been distracted. Maybe that's part of the odd, last minute, what, change of mind or change of heart?

this is confusing! I mean, it is wonderful news, imo, that he has said these things and said that "he" (under alias) cannot recommend purchasing it...something seems off, though...any thoughts/speculations about what the hell is going on?
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

jardine wrote:so is the timing of this suggestion to not purchase linked to the imminent release date? because the ridiculousness of the price is rather old news, as this thread attests to. . .at least back to Sept. 22 is when I first noticed the $345. Did he just not believe it to be possible until now? I mean, I realize that some of us didn't believe it could be true, but him too??

and yes, someone mentioned autographs...so he autographed things to be included and then found out the "cost" of having done so, and then . . .what?
This is very surprising and it definitely confirms that someone close to EC is watching the site. It explains why the price went from $345 to $250. It's definitely reassuring to hear from him on the ridiculousness of the box set price even though the post doesn't fail to mention that the "beautifully designed compendium contains all manner of whimsical scribblings, photographs and cartoons..."

That sentence and the fact that he supposedly autographed it makes me think that maybe this isn't so much disapproval but actually an easy way to save face. I don't understand how he couldn't push to lower the price further or at least hold back the release until individual components could be released simultaneously. I'm sure he could've always just stop it from seeing the light of day. Or are things really that beyond his control?

Then again, it's also worth noting that Hip-O Selects were also behind the latest rounds of reissues, including MAIT and TYM, which were also overpriced, lacking in new content and practically disowned by Costello.

Either way, I love the fact that he commented on it.

I wish this had gotten more publicity. In fact, I think the box set itself has been poorly advertised. After several months of reading up about the Beach Boys, U2 and Smiths packages it seems that this one has fallen through the cracks. Which again, reminds me how under the radar Elvis Costello is these days.

Still, it's not everyday than an artists tells his fans to not purchase one of his releases and spend their money on another artist's products.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Prices are set by the record label. Unless the artist makes a particular stipulation about a unit price before licensing the recording to the label to be distributed, they really have no control over the final price. Or sometime about a record being released period - just ask Tim McGraw about his third Greatest Hits collection. http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1 ... kage.jhtml

This presser shouldn't be taken as an indication that Costello has lost control over anything but the pricing of this particular record.
That sentence and the fact that he supposedly autographed it makes me think that maybe this isn't so much disapproval but actually an easy way to save face
Who's to say he knew of the price before autographing them? If that's the case, he can't withdraw his signature after the fact. These kind of things normally go like thus:

MANAGER: Artist, label would like you to sign some copies of the record for a promo thing.
ARTIST: Ok, got a Sharpie?
Manager hands artist Sharpie. Artist sits at table and autographs records.

I don't understand how he couldn't push to lower the price further or at least hold back the release until individual components could be released simultaneously.
He's not releasing the record, the label is. The label is free to set whatever price they care to for it, and Costello is free to issue a statement disapproving of this. They also determine the release date. Again, Costello is free to denounce the release date and to not promote the album - not that artists normally do much promotion for a live record - but that's it.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Rereading the announcement I was caught by the capturing of "the Impostors in rare form" and wondered what was meant by this.

Going back to jardine's comment about Ross' condition I doubt this had an influence. From reading the announcement I think Elvis was/is ok about the release itself but the not about the price. It reads to me that he was trying to get the record company to drop the price to a more realistic level.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I won't be buying it and it doesn't appear that many people here will either.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

[quote]then those items will be available separately at a more affordable price in the New Year, assuming that you have not already obtained them by more unconventional means[quote]
Perhaps he only means by cassette rather than by more orthodox means !!
It seems like the first time he's actually made any reference to ROIO made by people like myself and The Doc and BA which in itself seems like a slight endorsement, or at least, not a condemnation - and Elvis must surely be aware of just how much his shows are recorded and traded worldwide. I love the fact that he can still be ironic about this situation. His recorded "studio" output is shifting less and less in terms of units, his live shows seem to be increasingly popular and yet, when a opportunity arises to "cash-in" on this phenomenon, the company blows it by over-pricing it hugely and runs the risk of alienating those most likely to want to purchase it.
As I'm sure I've mentioned in the past, I've seen Dave the sound guy on more than one occasion removing a CDr from the mixing board at the end of a show. I'd love to know how far back Elvis has recorded his shows ( and he can always contact me if he wants to trade :lol: :lol: :lol:) so I think there must be dozens of concerts he could have chosen from to issue further along the SSS tour trail.
Just a final point, does he need permission from the venue owners to release a live DVD/CD and does that impinge on how much he could sell the concert for. Other "lesser" artists seem capable of selling the recording of the show immediately after the event, so why not Elvis ??
Last edited by sulky lad on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Unless they somehow miscalculated how much it would cost to do this limited edition run, I think the business people are seriously seriously overestimating how many people on earth are willing to pay for EC's autograph and a replica of the Big Wheel on the cover of a box. People who CAN afford it are also going to be hyper aware of how hefty the mark-up is for a CD, a DVD and a 10" EP with track listings that mostly overlap.
krm

Post by krm »

anyway. I will not buy this issue. I go for the planned re-issue with additional tracks. I assume it will be released around the Euro tour in 2012.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I read the "unconventional means" reference to refer to being able to download the tracks from sites like Demonoid within days after someone bought the box and then put the tracks up on a site like that. Coupled with the "Steal This Record" title to the post, it's almost as if EC is encouraging people to get the material that way.
cwr

Post by cwr »

The sad thing is that so many of us are ABSOLUTELY in the market for any kind of deluxe sets they want to throw at us. They've bungled something that should have been an absolute "win."

What Costello fan wouldn't want this, based on the description? It sounds fantastic. It sounds collectible. It sounds fun. The only thing that could ruin it would be to charge so much money for it that no one could possibly afford it.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis makes things clear: http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/let ... -clear/255

"Let's make things sparkling clear"

We at www.elviscostello.com find ourselves unable to recommend “The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook” as the price appears to be either a misprint or a satire.

All our attempts to have this number revised have been fruitless so we are taking the following unusual step.

If you want to buy something special for your loved one at this time of seasonal giving, we suggest, “Ambassador Of Jazz” - a cute little imitation suitcase containing ten re-mastered albums by one of the most beautiful and loving revolutionaries who ever lived – Louis Armstrong.

The box should be available for under one hundred and fifty American dollars and includes a number of other tricks and treats.

Frankly the music is vastly superior.

If you should still want the component items in the above mentioned elaborate hoax, they will be available separately at a more affordable price in the New Year, unless you are one of those pirates who imagines they are evangelists or that other people’s rights absolve their own thievery, in which case this is between you and your dim conscience.

Tickets are currently on-sale for the Spectacular Spinning Songbook appearances in the U.S., U.K. and Europe during April, May and June of Spring of 2012. More dates will be announced in the very near future.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

"If you should still want the component items in the above mentioned elaborate hoax, they will be available separately at a more affordable price in the New Year, unless you are one of those pirates who imagines they are evangelists or that other people’s rights absolve their own thievery, in which case this is between you and your dim conscience. "

Good for him!. Succinctly stated and mirrors my thoughts on this matter exactly. If worth owning, will wait to purchase in the coming year as he suggests. Any other accessing of the material is just as EC states 'thievery'.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Once again the "debate" rears it's head between piracy and bootlegging. Morally both are wrong aren't they ? Having said that, I own a massive amount of Elvis bootleg material and most of this is from live concerts. The "bootleg " LPs that I first bought in the 70s and 80s weren't from legally released material but from Radio Broadcasts and audience recordings. I also own a King Biscuit Flower Hour LP (is this a bootleg or a pirate or just a recording that shouldn't have entered the public domain. In the case of the 50 million Elvis fans boot, it was partly filled with pirated material which I had already bought legitimately months if not years before. This doesn't make it right but I wouldn't have bought the LP if it hadn't been for the live material. Actually I think I'm beginning to sound like I'm trying to justify a dodgy practice, like explaining to Mrs Sulky why I need to go to see Elvis in Amsterdam with Verbal !! :oops: However, like nearly every other poster here, Elvis or his record company or hid management will get to see my money on the DVD, CD and 10" when thy are released in a more affordable manner - what a shame that this whole debate has been sparked by the misjudgement of some accountant who know ( in all probability) nothing about Elvis and his fanbase !
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The new paragraph shows Elvis has got the bit between his teeth with this one.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
DodgyTC

Post by DodgyTC »

So how many on this forum are buying this, over priced or not? I still have it on pre order from Amazon, had this been released at any other time of the year I would have skipped it. I am due a year end bonus and have mentally adjusted that bonus by $250 lees than it should be, that is the only way i can justify (to myself) buying this. Will I regret it? Probably.

So put your hand in the air if your are coughing up for this...

TC
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Costello should eb able to cancel this release. It would cost him a bit of money, but he's not that poor.

I he lets it come out at this enfalted price + tehn complains about it on his site (to save face with his fans?) ...
teh well-known phrase 'full-time hypocrite' springs to mind :?

Anyway, i wasn't even tempted to buy this box set - even though I'm an avid Costello-collector. So I won't lie awake about it :)
(I'm more worried about the sorry state his record-releasing-attitude seems to be in, with so many bloopers finding their way to the audience, often discredited by the artist himself (remember the live-series that got a hamemring from the man himself and then seemed to have folded up))
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I'm glad to see that Elvis has added the paragraph about pirates to the announcement, as it clears up what he was trying to say. Before, it really sounded like he was encouraging downloads. I will buy this stuff one way or another, I am against picking up new records off pirate sites and not giving the artist his due (wages).

Dave
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

I also agree with his sentiments about pirated official releases.

Will I buy the items when they are released next year at a more affordable rate? I'm sure I won't buy them all. But I will certainly buy the "core" items and leave the glossy booklets and cardboard replica of the Spinning Songbook etc regrettably on the shelf.

Colin Top Balcony
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

So is this being issued in December or what? I placed an advance order through Amazon. I'll take it at any price - don't care, I want it and want it early Dec. That is all.
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

I wonder if I will be able to buy it here in Czech Republic. Older albums (especialy deluxe editions) are here almost unobtainable...
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I'm glad to see that Elvis has added the paragraph about pirates to the announcement, as it clears up what he was trying to say. Before, it really sounded like he was encouraging downloads. I will buy this stuff one way or another, I am against picking up new records off pirate sites and not giving the artist his due (wages).

Dave
Very very interesting. Proof once again (?) that someone in the EC camp is monitoring our little world here. That's why I mentioned Demonoid in my earlier response, since they torrent officially released material, and that would be a way get a copy by the so-called "unconventional" method.

When it comes to ROIO (recordings of independent origin), ie, concert recordings by fans like ba, sulky, and myself, I have no ethical qualms. We share music with fans around the world for no profit but at some cost, both financial and mental (stealth recording is stressful; doing both audio and video like I do is insane). File sharing of officially released material, however, is thievery, no doubt about it.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Ymaginatif wrote:Costello should eb able to cancel this release.
No.