'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov. '11

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: 'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov.

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I said the spinners not The Spinners :lol:

Nice one!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I said the spinners not The Spinners :lol:
The spinners?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COsTBntP1og

MOOT
John

Post by John »

Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Class Lads

John Peel here ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P11zSyfm ... re=related

Colin Top Balcony
John

Post by John »

Oh my, that is just too spooky MOOT!
History History

Post by History History »

Could this be EC's inspiration for the spinning songbook show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIfjqgZl08&NR=1
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Amazon.ca CDN$ 217.76 + taxes (November 21)

Dude I have purchased hundreds of your records, cds and videos, multiple copies of each in most cases but this is just too much money for a working stiff. That's 2 weeks worth of groceries, 3 to 4 weeks worth of gas, new guitar stings every month for 2 years.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

watercamp wrote:Amazon.ca CDN$ 217.76 + taxes (November 21)

Dude I have purchased hundreds of your records, cds and videos, multiple copies of each in most cases but this is just too much money for a working stiff. That's 2 weeks worth of groceries, 3 to 4 weeks worth of gas, new guitar stings every month for 2 years.
Wait for the separate CD and DVD release next year. I'm hoping for Blu-ray...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'm hoping Santa Claus. doc...BERLIN cds were AWESOME. great sound, great show. thanks! dig my stats thread when you can.
cwr

Post by cwr »

It's slowly dawning on me that there is no way I'm going to be able to afford this if the price remains this high. How is this 238 dollars?

It's a CD, a DVD, a 10" vinyl EP, a book, a poster, a postcard, and a "lavish box" that has a spinner on it. If we divide that up equally, those 7 things, they're about 38 bucks each.

Let's say that the CD is 20 dollars-- that's high-end for a single disc, but let's go with 20. Let's put the DVD at the high end of Criterion Collection releases, at 40 bucks. Now we're up to 60. Let's say that the vinyl is 30-- no, let's make it 40, fuck it! Now we're at... a hundred dollars. Which leaves 138 dollars for the poster, book, postcard, and "lavish box." Even assuming that the 40-page hardcover is a high-end Taschen limited edition-type book with all kinds of fancy die-cut book design and whatnot, it's hard to figure how this sucker gets to 238 without it feeling like there is some element of an attempt at seeing how hard we can gouge the fans here. Is it the autographed postcard that sets it so high? Did they fuck up and make the spinner replica to fancy and now they're having to charge higher than they anticipated just to make back their costs?

Putting all that aside, the only way I'd be able to get excited about a box set this expensive is if it was just chock full of surprises. But when you're paying that kind of money to get duplicate performances of "Mystery Dance" and "Radio Radio" it becomes even more of a stretch.

Especially when the image on the "lavish box" shows a ton of songs that AREN'T included on any of the recordings. It would seem like the spirit of the Spinning Songbook would dictate that he have completely different songs on the CD, DVD and vinyl, right? Sure, some people would probably bitch about not having all the music in one convenient format, but you could solve that by having a download code for people who buy the box that enables them to download it all in an iPod friendly format, right? And fuck it, while we're at it, for 238 dollars, it couldn't hurt to throw in an additional "digital EP" of songs that aren't in the box set at all. Is there anyone out there willing to pay this much for an Elvis live box set that DOESN'T want to hear him play "Hoover Factory"?

I don't think it would be asking for the moon. It would be more fun and it would be better value for what is, by any measure, a LOT OF MONEY. More than The Beach Boys are asking for the deluxe 5-disc SMiLE box, or U2 is asking for their 6-disc Achtung Baby box set. (True, there is an Uber Deluxe U2 box that is over 400, but even that fan gouge offers a lot more per-dollar than this does...)

I'll predict this-- unless they drop the price, not very many people are going to be able to buy this, not even hardcore Elvis fans who buy everything. It's odd that a year after he puts out an album called National Ransom, he puts out the most expensive product he's ever put on the market-- a self-described "3-disc" set for two hundred and thirty-eight dollars.

I'd buy it. I'd like to buy it. But I just can't. I'm not mad about it, I think this is more likely the result of a series of bad decisions than any avarice or greed. Surely they know that almost nobody can afford this.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Completely agree - see my Baron Hardup response earlier in the thread.

Was just wondering though, could all of this be one of Elvis' elaborate hoaxes, like the conversations with Odile W. Husband?

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

I must admit i love the irony of National Ransom yet putting out this lavish set.

Personally I can't justify paying whatever high price is being quoted on any given day but it's not much to expect that for this amount of money there should be a lot less duplication of tracks.

I hope by the way cwr that you have read the other comments in this thread about the price of the box set. Anyway, as for me, I'm off to buy the lavish 6 disc Achtung Baby set... :lol:
bil1cat

Post by bil1cat »

I'm hoping that Elvis Does something special as a surprise for this package. Perhaps a secret inclusion of a 30:10 disc or a bonus cd only available in the package. Something to make it a more positive talked about set. Right now all the feedback is unfavorable due to the price. Adding a surprise or two would make it highly sought after and i think Elvis likes the collectable market. Lets hope for surprises.
jardine

Post by jardine »

If it makes any difference, it is fifty dollars cheaper at amazon.ca
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

cwr wrote:Let's say that the CD is 20 dollars-- that's high-end for a single disc, but let's go with 20. Let's put the DVD at the high end of Criterion Collection releases, at 40 bucks. Now we're up to 60. Let's say that the vinyl is 30-- no, let's make it 40, fuck it! Now we're at... a hundred dollars. Which leaves 138 dollars for the poster, book, postcard, and "lavish box." Even assuming that the 40-page hardcover is a high-end Taschen limited edition-type book with all kinds of fancy die-cut book design and whatnot, it's hard to figure how this sucker gets to 238 without it feeling like there is some element of an attempt at seeing how hard we can gouge the fans here. Is it the autographed postcard that sets it so high? Did they fuck up and make the spinner replica to fancy and now they're having to charge higher than they anticipated just to make back their costs?

Putting all that aside, the only way I'd be able to get excited about a box set this expensive is if it was just chock full of surprises. But when you're paying that kind of money to get duplicate performances of "Mystery Dance" and "Radio Radio" it becomes even more of a stretch.

Especially when the image on the "lavish box" shows a ton of songs that AREN'T included on any of the recordings. It would seem like the spirit of the Spinning Songbook would dictate that he have completely different songs on the CD, DVD and vinyl, right? Sure, some people would probably bitch about not having all the music in one convenient format, but you could solve that by having a download code for people who buy the box that enables them to download it all in an iPod friendly format, right? And fuck it, while we're at it, for 238 dollars, it couldn't hurt to throw in an additional "digital EP" of songs that aren't in the box set at all. Is there anyone out there willing to pay this much for an Elvis live box set that DOESN'T want to hear him play "Hoover Factory"?

I don't think it would be asking for the moon. It would be more fun and it would be better value for what is, by any measure, a LOT OF MONEY. More than The Beach Boys are asking for the deluxe 5-disc SMiLE box, or U2 is asking for their 6-disc Achtung Baby box set. (True, there is an Uber Deluxe U2 box that is over 400, but even that fan gouge offers a lot more per-dollar than this does...)

CWR, I hope you revisited my post earlier comparing this overpriced set with others including the U2 set and wondering how they could come up with that price.

The Uber U2 set comes with Bono's glasses. Perhaps the surprise, and the reason for the ludicrous price, will be the inclusion of an imitation hat and glasses combo so that you too can become the emcee of your very own spinning songbook party.

Another reason I thought of was perhaps this is to pay back the 78's made for that National Ransom contest, I figure that must've been an expensive effort.

Also, has anybody noticed that the price on Amazon has gone up?
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Interesting that Elvis (or whoever Right Reverend Jimmy Quickly is) has effectively denounced the exorbitant price of the box set:
Steal This Record

A Pastoral Address From The Right Reverend Jimmy Quickly

There was a time when the release of a new title by your favourite record artist was a cause for excitement and rejoicing but sadly no more.

6th December 2011 sees the issue of “The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook” by Elvis Costello and the Imposters.

This beautifully designed compendium contains all manner of whimsical scribblings, photographs and cartoons, together with some rock and roll music and vaudevillian ballads.

Tape and celluloid were rolling at the Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles in April this year and present a vivid snapshot of the early days of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook show on “The Revolver Tour” of 2011.

The live recording finds the Imposters in rare form, while the accompanying motion picture blueprints the wilder possibilities of the show, as it made its acclaimed progress across the United States throughout the year.

Unfortunately, we at http://www.elviscostello.com find ourselves unable to recommend this lovely item to you as the price appears to be either a misprint or a satire.

All our attempts to have this number revised have been fruitless but rather than detain you with tedious arguments about morality, panache and book-keeping - when there are really bigger fish to filet these days - we are taking the following unusual step.

If you should really want to buy something special for your loved one at this time of seasonal giving, we can whole-heartedly recommend, “Ambassador Of Jazz” - a cute little imitation suitcase, covered in travel stickers and embossed with the name “Satchmo” but more importantly containing TEN re-mastered albums by one of the most beautiful and loving revolutionaries who ever lived – Louis Armstrong.

The box should be available for under one hundred and fifty American dollars and includes a number of other tricks and treats. Frankly, the music is vastly superior.

If on the other hand you should still want to hear and view the component parts of the above mentioned elaborate hoax, then those items will be available separately at a more affordable price in the New Year, assuming that you have not already obtained them by more unconventional means.

Tickets are currently on-sale for the Spectacular Spinning Songbook appearances in the U.S., U.K. and Europe during April, May and June in the Spring of 2012. More dates will be announced in the very near future.
Edit: Beaten to the punch! ;) vvvvv
Last edited by Lester Burnham on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Costello steps up. Fascinating. And good for him. How many artists come out AGAINST their own product?
Last edited by cwr on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jardine

Post by jardine »

This really is extraordinary, a relief and important, I think. Not exactly unprecedented, but certainly a rare move for an artist.

It is also disturbing because it suggests exactly how far out of his own control/management/influence are such releases. That he is part of an arrangement that is out of his hands to this extent is quite bizarre. Is the tour itself of his own making? and if so, to what extent? National Ransom? the 78s? and so on. Makes this an interesting thread to continue.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Cool! I hope EC gets plenty of positive publicity from this move and then it is reasonably priced.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cwr

Post by cwr »

It's also worth noting that this isn't the first fan-gouging venture that Costello has publicly distanced himself from. A few years back, many of you will recall, "elviscostello.com" (in an earlier incarnation) sold memberships with promises of "exclusive content" which ultimately did not ever materialize, with the exception of a handful of "streaming-only" audio tracks of the 30:10 lo-fi recordings.

It's was a blown opportunity, and EC issued a statement apologizing for it and people were either offered a full refund of the (was it $30?) membership fee OR the promise that it could be used as credit for a future, improved version of elviscostello.com. Costello's advice was to take the refund. I, of course, foolishly opted to wait for a better version of the website, which has, of course, never happened. The website is better, but the has been no second attempt at selling anything "exclusive" or any subscription-type thing.

Add this to the fact that he has also distanced himself from the choices made for the live releases of recent vintage, and that's a lot of distancing. It's weird that it's happening at a time when he's a free agent. It was one thing when he was on a huge label and he could blame the giant record company for screwing things up, but theoretically he's calling the shots now, right? Or at least he has some say in what kind of companies he does business with. Right?

I hope this latest move forces the bean-counters to re-adjust the price. I can't IMAGINE what reasoning they can have-- almost NO ONE is going to be able to afford this box set. I wish Costello would at least lay out the behind-the-scenes argument a little bit, I imagine it could be quite embarrassing for those involved.

"I want to bite the hand that feeds me..."
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Would EC tape all his own shows? Just thinking...
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bambooneedle wrote:Would EC tape all his own shows? Just thinking...
If not, I'd be happy to volunteer...

I found this interesting:

If on the other hand you should still want to hear and view the component parts of the above mentioned elaborate hoax, then those items will be available separately at a more affordable price in the New Year, assuming that you have not already obtained them by more unconventional means.

Does Elvis have a Demonoid account?
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

This is exactly the reason why I love this man. He doesn't need to do such things to please us, right? If he did it's because he felt it was the right thing to do. I think the text leaves no doubt about who's in charge here. Record companies or whoever owns the distribution rights for his material can do whatever they want but don't count on his approval to make unecessary money. I think that is the message and it's pretty clear.

My only doubt is: amazon says the box set is "autographed by Elvis Costello". Will he really sign this?
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
verbal gymnastics

Fantastic :lol:

I too was most taken by the very last sentence.

Elvis certainly gave permission for the shows to be recorded. What I am pleased about is that he agrees with us about the price of the box set.

I think his people have once again indirectly been influenced by our views.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

jardine wrote:It is also disturbing because it suggests exactly how far out of his own control/management/influence are such releases. That he is part of an arrangement that is out of his hands to this extent is quite bizarre. Is the tour itself of his own making? and if so, to what extent? National Ransom? the 78s? and so on. Makes this an interesting thread to continue.
Maybe his people can control de price for the separated items only and this box set was not their idea.
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM