Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov. '11

Post by johnfoyle »

According to musictap.net :

"Hip-O Records will release 'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning
Songbook' by Elvis Costello on CD for November 21."
jardine

Re: 'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov.

Post by jardine »

listed on amazon.com as 1 cd 1dvd and 1lp for, wait for it!!!! $325!!!!!!!

It better be RREEEEEEAAAALLLLLYYYYYY good...!

p.s. the 5 cd, 2 lp and 2 45s beach boys smile box is now down to 105 canadian on amazon.ca, for anyone so inclined
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

jardine wrote:listed on amazon.com as 1 cd 1dvd and 1lp for, wait for it!!!! $325!!!!!!!

It better be RREEEEEEAAAALLLLLYYYYYY good...!

p.s. the 5 cd, 2 lp and 2 45s beach boys smile box is now down to 105 canadian on amazon.ca, for anyone so inclined
It's the Super Deluxe Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Return-Spectacula ... 589&sr=1-1
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

All looks great though way out of my price range and, er, really I'd like them to play the UK rather than post us a DVD!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

absolute horseshit...this has GOT to be an error or OBVIOUSLY they are looking to sell NONE! what does the deluxe come with...the band itself? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
jardine

Post by jardine »

you think you got it bad? the canadian dollar just dropped 3 cents against the US dollar, so we're back under par.

. . .this is obviously an error of some sort or, otherwise, simply crazy... it actually reads $325.02
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh my, inflation is really bad these days, I guess. I'll buy it and forgo a few meals and booze. Great tour. I'm sorry I didn't see more of it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://newwavegeo.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... erson.html

Here are some more excerpts from my interview with Bangles guitarist/singer Vicki Peterson

Q: Back in May, you joined Elvis Costello onstage at the LA Wiltern to sing background vocals, and then got in the cage and go-go danced. How was that night for you?

That was amazing. We were really pleased that he asked us to do that again. He was sort of reprising what we did back in 1986 and I think he’s hopefully going to include it in a package he’s putting out at the end of the year. First of all, it’s just a blast to work with him in any capacity because he’s such an immense talent. Everything he does, he’s doing it because he loves it and it’s always creative and interesting. His band is just the best. It was really a special night.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Super expensive Super Deluxe Boxsets seem to be the new trend:
U2 - Achtung Baby Uber Deluxe boxset: 478 $ ( http://www.amazon.com/Achtung-Baby-Uber ... 422&sr=1-7 )
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Box Set: 119 $ ( http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Im ... 710&sr=1-1 )
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Unless the $325 includes Elvis popping around to make sure the cushions are plumped as you sit back to listen , this just has to be a mistake, probably some arbitrary figure to fill in the Amazon listing.

Add that Smiths box-set to the list....
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

nirvana's got one also, super steep price.
jardine

Post by jardine »

but this thing seems to be one cd, one dvd and one lp. many of those expensive ones mentioned are much more multiple than that, aren't they.

man, if it really is the real price, he surely doesn't care if it sells, and neither does the record company. such a high price doesn't make it better or more desirable at all. can you really imagine anyone who went to any of those shows spending that kind of money?

I could imagine anyone at one of those shows spending 20 bucks, even 30 on a dvd, and maybe twenty to thirty for a cd, and a few of them buying a 40 dollar double l.p. now i'm up to $80-$100 total.

$325 is just silly. it either has to be wrong or I'm quite annoyed at our boy for allowing this nonsense. I actually am prepared to find it offensive if it turns out to be correct, and, frankly, extremely disrespectful of anyone who loves his music.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

deleted
Last edited by bronxapostle on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jardine wrote: I could imagine anyone at one of those shows spending 20 bucks, even 30 on a dvd, and maybe twenty to thirty for a cd, and a few of them buying a 40 dollar double l.p. now i'm up to $80-$100 total.

$325 is just silly. it either has to be wrong or I'm quite annoyed at our boy for allowing this nonsense. I actually am prepared to find it offensive if it turns out to be correct, and, frankly, extremely disrespectful of anyone who loves his music.
i think you are exactly correct here...i'm certain we'll be able to buy a standard cd and dvd version as well as a $30-$40 vinyl version! NOT a problem. let the rich people get the deluxe versions IF our hero goes down that sad road!
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Don't panic, as a buyer on Amazon, they put out a preliminary price that usually in no way ends up being the final price. I've seen this happen time and time again. Personally, I don't believe they've received a final price quote themselves. I would speculate that there will probably be a variety of packages. I can't imagine that the package they are showing now would go for more than $60.00. I would think that at $300 plus, I would want Elvis to hand deliver it.
jardine

Post by jardine »

nope, not hand deliver. perform it right there and then!

hope you're right about amazon. they certainly have shifted such things before, but man, 325 is a hell of a bizarre starting point.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

perhaps they missed off the decimal point?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Maybe part of the packaging is layered in gold? Have you seen the price of gold these days?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Given the price of the National Ransom package I think that $100 is in the right area.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

With the tour clocking up around 140 songs so far plus all the banter, any DVD package would have to run to about 5 discs to offer a fair representation. I'm hoping in the quite deluded vain that this is the reason for the price. Maybe it includes an interactive version of the wheel, or the wheel itself!

I hope no "copyright issues" will prevent it from containing at the very least the great "new"covers like Let Me Roll It, This Wheel's on Fire,Out of Time,Purple Rain and The Busted medley.

Still rather see a live show though :(
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm not sure what copyright issues there are with live recordings.

I suspect there will be a live show on the DVD with bonus tracks from other shows.

Similarly for the CD and the LP.

It would be great if the LP, CD and the DVD were different shows. There's no reason why this can't happen.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

We know that one of the LA shows was filmed for a DVD-release.
I hope also that they recorded the audio of more shows and that the CD will contain the best of these songs.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes SP...i'm imagining it will be a good compilation, at least on the audio recordings. between the bangles girls statement and the several other guest appearances, i would be very surprised to NOT see the inclusion of eddie vedder, alex turner and questlove amongst the various tracks. and i too hope that some of the "new" covers get to be included. should be a very nice package indeed.
jardine

Post by jardine »

now it is listing at $349.12!!!!

guess we were right about amazon sometimes shifting the price--up!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Lets hope we all have generous partner's come Christmas.
Doesn't look like it is getting a uk release yet. Cant see anything on Amazon uk.

I see on Ronan MacManus facebook page he mentions his band get a mention in the box set