'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov. '11

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: 'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov.

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There's part of a clue...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jardine

Post by jardine »

sheesh
Last edited by jardine on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

My take on this is that since the $349 version is labeled the "Super Deluxe" version, there must be a normal version as well that likely has just the DVD/CD, presumably for a reasonable price. Otherwise, the $349 would not be labeled as the "Super Deluxe" version but simply unlabeled (and thus the standard edition).

I have no problem with Elvis selling a limited edition with rarities for a high price for those who can afford it as long as a standard version is issued.

Mrs. Soul For Hire would FLIP if I dropped $349 on such a thing, so look like I will have to "settle" for the standard edition. And by "settle", I mean enjoy a pro shot and professionally recorded version of some AMAZING shows from what I still consider EC's best tour EVER.

ETA: When it says "performances exclusive to each", I think this means that the songs on the CD are different from the songs on the DVD and they are all different from the presumably bonus track on the EP.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

jardine wrote:This is disgusting. Exclusive performances on each 10" e.p., eh? Nice way to rub it in, that you're now an exclusive club. Are you still mad that national ransom didn't sell and trying out "revenge" again? I didn't like the smell of this revolver thing from the beginning and found it a pitiful sham. This proves it.

349 dollars? Get it while you can? Well, I simply won't be part of this. Put Elvis' face on the wolf on the cover of NR, as far as I'm concerned, and make simply disingenuous anything I imagined he knew or cared in the least about such matters.

Carry on revolver tour! It really IS all a side show.
Way to be overdramatic. It's a deluxe edition set. You don't have to buy it if you don't want to. Sheesh.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Alright, I can't wait to buy this. Maybe I'll buy, two. Happy Rosh Hashanah to all my favorite jews out there.
jardine

Post by jardine »

i know full well that i don't have to buy it if i don't want to! Good heavens, I'm not stupid. Sheesh yourself.

I'm talking about the fact that I CAN'T buy it. I'm talking about how this is a creepy decision and a terrible trend, well beyond Elvis, of an exclusivity and high-handedness that is not necessary and counts, however unwittingly, as a comment--a bit of a f%&$k you, in fact-- to many, many of his fans that, yes, don't have to buy it, want to buy it, and can't buy it because of decisions that could have been made differently and that e.c. is part of.

Let's see what happens when the nonsuperdeluxe version arrives, if one does. Let's see what money can and cannot buy. If there is some of e.c.'s music i will miss out on because of my circumstances, i'll have to wait to see if i "buy" the poorboy's version knowing what I'll then be somehow condoning. Or maybe i should just wait and steal it all on line!!!

yep. dramatic.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I think jardine has a point (or two !!) Elvis has historically been overly generous compared to many of his contemporaries - consider the Talking In the Dark/ Wednesday Week and Two Tone I Can't Stand Up freebies that were given away at gigs. they eventually became very collectable and then lost their value gradually over the years but the point is, they were given away. Add to that the number of rare, unusual and obscure B-sides and non album tracks on assorted singles and we have a clear picture of an artist concerned with his followers. Now, with the guaranteed increase in the value of the National Ransack (Ransom ?) 78 rpms, (and don't get me started about who on earth is going to deliberately go out and buy a turntable just to play these antiquated discs for a couple of times before hiding them away to maintain their value) and the release of this ridiculously over-priced item, we see an artist or at the least a management who can only look at at the dollar signs - I concur with jardine's sense of disgust - and I can't imagine Jake trying to pull one of these gestures off somehow ! :x
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It certainly is a trend that Elvis is setting with new releases.

Did the deluxe National Ransom set sell out? There are similarities with the way that package was put together.

I think I'd like to see a bit more about this package before I make any commitment on my part. Can I buy it in instalments?

As you share jardine's disgust Sulky, I take it you don't want me to buy it for your birthday :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's going to be embarrassing watching this thing being reduced to clear...if good for those of us who will wait to buy!

Persuading people to pay some of the outrageous ticket prices that featured for some of the U.S. gigs is one thing. I just don't see it transferring to the artifact end of things. In essence these are recordings of a live show which, technically excellent as they may be, will be lacking the dynamic and excitement that actually attending them involves. The recordings that already circulate have a bonus in that they accurately record the ambience and imperfections that the audience has experienced, a grittier , more involving experience.

This could be extension of the mindset behind the 'live' albums that Elvis huffed and puffed about , saying it was out of his hands, that he was merely tolerating the big , bad record industry in their wishing to develop product etc. Some clown proposed this package to Elvis, he saw how bonkers it is , he said a price , it was agreed , he'll gladly take the cash and after it stiffs he'll make some damning comments, merrily biting the hand that feeds right up to the elbow.

Gosh - you'd never guess I've just had a particularly shitty day , would you?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

This is going to be the best release EVER. I'm buying like - six - now! Yay, Elvis!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

VG said
As you share jardine's disgust Sulky, I take it you don't want me to buy it for your birthday
I know you'll only turn around and say it must have got lost in the post !! :lol:
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

jardine wrote:Or maybe i should just wait and steal it all on line!!!
There you go. Let's all do just that.

This package is an extravagance. It's not just a live CD/DVD. It has a book, pictures, an autograph, what have you-- a bunch of unnecessary garbage. Surely we all understand this is a diehard collector's edition set aimed towards those with enough disposable income to afford it?

I just don't understand the outrage, the indignation. I took one look at the product description and decided in 10 seconds that I wasn't interested, even if it was 100 dollars cheaper. As big a fan as anybody is, you don't have to own every piece of merchandise Elvis puts out on the market.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

the_platypus wrote:
This package is an extravagance. It's not just a live CD/DVD. It has a book, pictures, an autograph, what have you-- a bunch of unnecessary garbage. Surely we all understand this is a diehard collector's edition set aimed towards those with enough disposable income to afford it?

I just don't understand the outrage, the indignation. I took one look at the product description and decided in 10 seconds that I wasn't interested, even if it was 100 dollars cheaper. As big a fan as anybody is, you don't have to own every piece of merchandise Elvis puts out on the market.
Frankly, the only extra I am interested in is the Spinning Wheel. I am curious what that is like.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Jardine, I totally agree with you. It's completely ridiculously overpriced. What pisses me off is that for $349 all you get is ONE cd, ONE dvd and ONE 10 inch. Even with the book, poster, autograph and spinning wheel, it still doesn't seem like it's worth that much.

The indignation comes from the fact that as Sulky pointed out, EC seemed above all this excess. This is the last thing I expected to see from him.

I know "super deluxe" sets are all the rage right now but that price hardly seems necessary considering how much more you get when you put down payments on the following sets:

Achtung Baby Uber Deluxe edition
http://www.amazon.com/Achtung-Baby-Uber ... 406&sr=1-1
Costs $478.38
Includes: SIX cds, FOUR dvds, FIVE clear 7 inch singles, 84-page book, ONE pair of Bono's "fly" sunglasses.

Pixies Limited Signed Edition Minotaur Box Set
http://www.amazon.com/Minotaur-Limited- ... 913&sr=1-2
Costs $642.86
5-CD + 2-DVD +1-Blu-ray + 5-LP + 96 Page Fine Art Book + 54 Page Book set
Other editions available for $224 - 5-CD + 4-LP + 1-Blu-ray + 2-DVD + 54, 96 Book set
And $170 - 5-CD + 2-DVD +1-Blu-ray + 54 Page Book set

David Bowie Station to Station Deluxe Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Station-Deluxe-5C ... 194&sr=1-3
Costs: $158.21
5CD /DVD/3LP plus a shitload of stuff, replica tickets, fan club folders, prints, posters, etc.

In fact, you could make an argument that Bowie could have charged more.

If you think the above are overpriced, then this Spinning Songbook set is like a very bad joke.

I'm still hoping there's a misprint in the price and of course that alternative sets will be revealed. Otherwise, i much rather spend the $300 dollars in concert tickets when he reschedules the Florida dates.

MOJO, go ahead and buy six, i'll buy one off you for less than $100 when it ends up on eBay.

One more note: Remember what you paid for the five-cd Costello & Nieve set? I bought it earlier this year for $25.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

sure, 15 years later, don't know if i'll be here in 2026. we all want it but think it's a little[?] ridiculously over priced. oh well, ya can't have everything.
migdd

Post by migdd »

MOJO wrote:This is going to be the best release EVER. I'm buying like - six - now! Yay, Elvis!
Me too, MOJO! :wink: I'm gonna get six. What and investment - especially since the super-duper electroluxe set is AUTOGRAPHED BY EC!!! Hot damn!

I'm also going to dump a ton of cash into the US stock market tomorrow.

What're all you fanboys complaining about? :lol: :lol: :lol:
jardine

Post by jardine »

Platypus, I think it is true. I shouldn't be feeling indignation or outrage. Just a knee jerk first reaction. I'm actually turning out, slowly, to be more disappointed and saddened that Elvis might be part of something like this. I thought he saw through things like this with more acuity and sense and with more of a desire to not be caught up in such things. I thought he didn't like such things, being fodder in some mill, that greed and avarice . . .oh hell, I don't know.

You know, my reaction, i think, is connected for me back to the turn that was taken during and after National Ransom. I wrongly thought that something new might be emerging, something to make the whole thing of making music and selling it more sustainable and intimate. A big beautiful vinyl double l.p. for a price that was feasible, with a beautiful cover, and so on. and four extra free songs that were downloadable as ransack thrown in to sweeten a good deal...

i've got all this clumped together, because when the revolver thing started, it also seemed like a retrenchment away from this new thing I had imagined. but the hucksterish stage show. . .i thought, hoped, was ironic and fun, but this new arrival makes everything...again, hell, i don't know. Despite how much fun it all is, something seems "off" and weirdly desperate...
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

This is going to be so awesome. I'm buying 10! Yeah, go Elvis. You rule!
migdd

Post by migdd »

MOJO wrote:This is going to be so awesome. I'm buying 10! Yeah, go Elvis. You rule!
F*ck you, MOJO. I'm buying 10! Beat THAT! I need to line my walls with this. I'll buy anything Elvis puts out - in spades!!!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh, you're buying 10? So am I, plus 1. I'm turning it up to 11. I'm building my own coffin out of it. So there, chumpystiltskin!
migdd

Post by migdd »

You fiend, MOJO. Is 11 higher than 10? My competitive nature is becoming challenged, buddy.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

strangerinthehouse wrote:Jardine, I totally agree with you. It's completely ridiculously overpriced. What pisses me off is that for $349 all you get is ONE cd, ONE dvd and ONE 10 inch. Even with the book, poster, autograph and spinning wheel, it still doesn't seem like it's worth that much.

The indignation comes from the fact that as Sulky pointed out, EC seemed above all this excess. This is the last thing I expected to see from him.

I know "super deluxe" sets are all the rage right now but that price hardly seems necessary considering how much more you get when you put down payments on the following sets:

Achtung Baby Uber Deluxe edition
http://www.amazon.com/Achtung-Baby-Uber ... 406&sr=1-1
Costs $478.38
Includes: SIX cds, FOUR dvds, FIVE clear 7 inch singles, 84-page book, ONE pair of Bono's "fly" sunglasses.

Pixies Limited Signed Edition Minotaur Box Set
http://www.amazon.com/Minotaur-Limited- ... 913&sr=1-2
Costs $642.86
5-CD + 2-DVD +1-Blu-ray + 5-LP + 96 Page Fine Art Book + 54 Page Book set
Other editions available for $224 - 5-CD + 4-LP + 1-Blu-ray + 2-DVD + 54, 96 Book set
And $170 - 5-CD + 2-DVD +1-Blu-ray + 54 Page Book set

David Bowie Station to Station Deluxe Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Station-Deluxe-5C ... 194&sr=1-3
Costs: $158.21
5CD /DVD/3LP plus a shitload of stuff, replica tickets, fan club folders, prints, posters, etc.

In fact, you could make an argument that Bowie could have charged more.

If you think the above are overpriced, then this Spinning Songbook set is like a very bad joke.

I'm still hoping there's a misprint in the price and of course that alternative sets will be revealed. Otherwise, i much rather spend the $300 dollars in concert tickets when he reschedules the Florida dates.

MOJO, go ahead and buy six, i'll buy one off you for less than $100 when it ends up on eBay.

One more note: Remember what you paid for the five-cd Costello & Nieve set? I bought it earlier this year for $25.
I don't think you can reasonably compare the U2 and Bowie packages to Costello's set. Economy of scale. Because Costello is, at this point, a cult musician, he's probably selling a minuscule fraction of what U2, Bowie or Pixies are of their sets. You buy in bulk, you get cheaper product, and there aren't near enough "deluxe boxed set" fans for EC to buy this in bulk.

Could this be cheaper? Yeah, of course it could. I just question how much. And beyond that, I question why anyone would care either way, really.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

sulky lad wrote:with the guaranteed increase in the value of the National Ransack (Ransom ?) 78 rpms, (and don't get me started about who on earth is going to deliberately go out and buy a turntable just to play these antiquated discs for a couple of times before hiding them away to maintain their value)
That would be me. :lol:

Actually it was a good change in my life. Being born into the CD era (1987), "winning" those 78s actually encouraged me to purchase my first vinyl record player and building up my own little record collection. So thanks for that, EC.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

What I find most frustrating is the idea that the success or failure of this set may be used to gauge the market for future ambitious catalog projects.

There are many uber-Deluxe packages that could be created from the Costello catalog. You can easily devise massive and wonderful sets around albums like KING OF AMERICA or IMPERIAL BEDROOM, or go in another direction and offer a comprehensive live package with several of the concerts that might have previously been slated for individuals entries in the Costello Show series (and a set that packs together all the usual suspects like Palamino, RAH w/RPO, Hope & Anchor; Austin; Warfield; Broadway, & Royalty might have a powerful cumulative impact).

But instead, we get a set that seems like it will be exceptionally light on actual content, and what material it features will be spread over three different formats. Some people might find that an appealing prospect, but to me it's just plain annoying. Meanwhile, it's an open question how well the Spinning Songbook format lends itself to live album treatment. Something like the Allen Toussaint shows seems a natural for a CD, with it's inventive arrangements, unexpected selections, and brisk pace but the stop-and-go nature of a Spinning Songbook show really doesn't encourage repeat listenings. I'll try to reserve judgment until I see the actual track listing but I can't say I have a great feeling about this.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Grab what you can, (esp. The Wiltern shows in full) before they are removed!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=356821

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=357104