Pete's best work?

Pretty self-explanatory
ahawkman

Pete's best work?

Post by ahawkman »

My neighbor's kid has taken up the drums and I am making him a CD of songs that I feel have good/unique drumming. Which EC songs would you choose, keeping in mind that he's only 12 years old so I'd like to pick songs with lyrics that won't traumatize the lad. My initial thought in terms of EC is TYM, Pete's drums are incredible on many songs. Any other suggestions?

I'm going to open the CD with 2 Cheap Trick songs of all things... Ain't That a Shame (from Budokan) and Surrender. Lightweight perhaps but I've always liked Bun E's drumming. I will end the CD with a healthy dose of The Who. Might as well finish with a bang.
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Pete's best work?

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Bedlam, Button My Lip and the bridge of Monkey to Man show PT at his best, in my opinion.

Have you included any Steve Jordan on your mixtape, Ahawkman?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I'm so with you about This Year's Model - superb stuff from Pete - perhaps most famously, the intro to Chelsea, which always makes me think the Attractions are about to launch into the theme tune to Hawaii Five-0.

Brutal Youth is full of high-profile drumming - and I've always loved the drum intro to Tokyo Storm Warning.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

I really love the jam at the end of "13 Steps Lead Down".

Make sure you include Pearl Jam's work with Jack Irons in your mix. "In My Tree" in particular. It'll surprise you.
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better showcase for Pete's drumming, or The Attractions in general, than This Years Model, "Lipstick Vogue" in particular. Bruce and Pete were like Entwistle/Moon on that track; at times it feels like they're both soloing through the whole song, yet still maintaining an absolute stranglehold on the backbeat. What an outrageous performance.

Other than that, I've always liked his tastefully restrained playing on "New Lace Sleeves." And for a later example, I think he adds some great fills to "Bedlam."
KD's music blog
KD's book
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

do we know exactly what PJ songs Pete played upon?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Lipstick Vogue and Beyond Belief spring to mind as examples of how the drums "transform" a track.

The high hat figure on the begining of NLS is cute, as already mentioned and Rocking Horse Road is also pretty unusual.

Things like Strict Time and Button My Lip, Needle Time & Bedlam are great grooves.

EWB from PTC is a good example of following the click track and laying down a solid groove with the kick and the bass guitar "locked in".( I Like the fill that crosses the bar line in the fade out too.)

I also like Jim Keltner's playing on KOA and Goulding's (?) "trademark" fill on WTD.

Other drummer's to check out should definitely include J.Bonham, N.Peart, D.Weckl, M.Brzezki(?),S.White, V.Coliauta, C Thompson and many others too numerous to list here.

Oh and tell him to practice with a click. The hardest thing is to play something simple and well. Learn the chops first before building up speed.
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

As far as other drummers, don't miss Tony Williams. Hook the kid up with Miles Davis's Nefertiti--the guy is superhuman.
KD's music blog
KD's book
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

Hey folks, thanks for the suggestions. May be too much for one CD, but good stuff to know if he continues to progress. The bit I've seen of him suggests he has a good aptitude for it.
krm

Post by krm »

or give Uncomplicated a try. It seems quite - uncomplicated....
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Pete's hangover work on Beyond Belief is undoubtedly transformative of the track - and it's a story he deservedly loves to tell. However my personal favourite among his amazing body of work for EC though consists of one moment in Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head. I don't have it on me to quote minutes and seconds but it's the lopsided Ringo-tastic drum fill when Pete comes back in towards the end (two snare to tom tom rolls beautifully finished off with a roll over to the floor tom) is perfectly placed and executed - and supremely thrilling for it.

By the way, does Pete have dentures? The way he chews his teeth while playing is a little disconcerting...
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Sorry ahawkman, eulogising Pete's sticks work I forgot that you were asking about stuff to stimulate a 12 year old skin batterer. In which case I'd recommend Leave My Kitten Alone from the Blood & Chocolate re-release - an easy drum part, played as full on as he likes and great fun, which should encourage him. I'd suggest rooting out some other fairly simple ones like this so the lad can stay encouraged (I'll post some other suggestions when I've a moment). When he's developed a little get him on to things like I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea and Watching The Detectives. I hope he has a great time. even if you don't keep up playing an instrument all your life it transforms the way you listen to and enjoy music.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Paul B wrote:one moment in Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head. I don't have it on me to quote minutes and seconds but it's the lopsided Ringo-tastic drum fill when Pete comes back in towards the end (two snare to tom tom rolls beautifully finished off with a roll over to the floor tom) is perfectly placed and executed - and supremely thrilling for it.
That'll be 2.04, so not at the end, not even half-way through, but yes, that's a beauty. Full of movement and released tension as the song builds into the next section. And yes, a definite Ringo influence in it. I'd go for Ringo over Moon every time as a drummer who played musically, rather than being a pissed-up loon who never held back (not that this isn't fun to listen to, though!).

I took up the drums at 15 or so, and am still playing them avidly 32 years later. I'm good enough to hold down a tight enough backbeat with, dare I say it, my own stamp and feel on a range of cover songs I play with my band. Never had a single lesson, pretty much learned through hours and hours playing along to tapes with headphones on, and then weekly band rehearsals. My strongest recommendation would be for the youngster to do a similar thing - identify which things he really likes the drumming on and try and nail it. I loved Joy Division, and the repetitive robotic element was great for practice and restraint.

I would still struggle hugely trying to nail 'Lipstick Vogue' properly. It's so fast, tight and detailed. Great to be impressed by, but many hours before you can go near it. Nice sample to include, along with others from TYM as you say. Some other nice ones above, and I'd also cite New Lace Sleeves as something clear and crisp to admire.

I think a compilation of drumming you rate is a really good idea. Nice to have a range of styles/genres within that. Also, if you have any good Elvis DVDs (Club Date, for example), Pete is great to watch.

One of my all-time favourite drummers, alongside Pete, is Wilco's Glenn Kotche. What he plays is often quite straightforward, but then there'll be some little detail that will be so perfect for the moment. And he's incredible to watch live, so energetic and totally immersed in the music. I'd cite 'Everlasting Everything' as a drum masterlcass, from the wave-impersonating snare work at 1.05 and how that then simplifies into a technically demanding snare figure before going into the beat, or the Ringoesque/Pete as cited above-esque snare/tom figure before going into a slinkier backbeat on 1.47. A supremely musical drummer.
Paul B wrote:By the way, does Pete have dentures? The way he chews his teeth while playing is a little disconcerting...
I love that, it's so Pete and he seems to do it more now than ever. It's not unusual that drummers pull faces or clench their mouths in some way, and I've found myself quite unintentionally doing a very similar thing. The inside of my lower lip was sore for days after playing 2 and three quarters' worth at a wedding this summer. You need to concentrate so hard to really get into that groove...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Now I know you're a drummer, Otis, I just have to ask, What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine .....

Wait for it........

You only have to punch information into a drum machine once :lol: ..Yah dada dah da daaaaaar !!I thank you ! :roll: :oops:
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I have to agree about "13 Steps Lead Down". I didn't think it was possible to have melodic drumming.

I also have to mention Pete's fantastic Ringo imitation in the middle of "Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head"
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I also love that little fill in 'Home Is Anywhere' - it really brings the song home for its melancholy conclusion -

And regarding Pete as a melodic drummer: that's what I love about him and Bruce - they don't just provide a rhythm or a beat - they actually add melodies, on top of the already thrilling melodies of Elvis and Steve.

For me, that's why their albums are so rich and colourful - they're just more vivid than most other bands - they have a cartoony vividness that makes them stand out!
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

You should probably listen to these other people, since my knowledge of drumming would fit on the head of a pin, but I've always enjoyed his work on Get Happy the most. It's simple but memorable, which probably has a lot to do with the style of music on that album.
scamp

Post by scamp »

I thought I'd mention Turpentine has my favorite drumming next to Lipstick vogue.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

This may not be his best work, but seems worth a mention anyway, a certain Pete Thomas is mentioned in a recent DIME thread as part of the musicians backing Richard Thompson on a recording of a show from 16th January 1983.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... 6946&hit=1

Looking at the Wiki this could be "our man" moonlighting.

Colin Top Balcony
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Watch Pete during Strict Time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=licLyL8OETk#t=5m40s

Such a simple drum kit and yet such awesome beats. The man is a rhythm machine!