Re: "Elvis Costello: Mystery Dance" - docu. - BBC4 Nov. 8 '1

Post by MatthewBest »

And the 90 minute version is now up on the IPlayer also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ery_Dance/
Markkidel

Post by Markkidel »

Hi everyone
Great to read all your posts, the critical ones as well as the complimentary ones. Making docs for TV can be lonely, in some ways so it's great to hear back from people. This was not an easy film to make for all kinds of reasons. Not least because EC has done so much and so many different things. Of course there are omissions, and his love life may appear a glaring one. Those things are particularly difficult to cover in a documentary, even at 90'. As a twice married person myself, I know that there are many different ways of telling those kinds of stories and to have gone into EC's relationships in any detail would have been pretty well impossible. None of the decisions were easy. Besides, I knew all along that I had to make two versions, one of which was for the French and Germans, who have very different reference points and you cannot avoid thinking about that, I grew up in France and in Austria, so I do know something about that.
We had major problems getting the 90' version on iPlayer, it's all to do with the automated software or whatever that puts these things up and as the longer version had the same title, the 60' was up there as the default version and the 90' treated as a repeat so not worthy of being up there. The 90' is up there now as you will have noticed by now, and I hope that lots of people watch it.
The important thing is that EC really opened up, not just his photo albums but also his heart. There is a lot of him in the film, as as someone who has made a lot of portrait films about fairly major artists, I know that this is not a given. EC's generosity is pretty unique.
I also wanted to get across EC's incredible love of music, and all kinds of music. That seemed to me really important, It's essential and it is also mind-boggling, because he has listened (really properly) to so much.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Thank you for your 'loving' and respectful effort. EC has always struck me as the best kind of palimpsest.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mark - thanks so much for posting. Out of interest, how much footage is there? Is there the possibility of a Director's cut?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
edney

Post by edney »

Mark. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to post on here AND for the documentary. To be honest, I didn't think that the 60 minute program flowed particularly well even accounting for the fact that condensing a career that has spanned 30-odd years into 1 hour must be practically impossible. But I watched the 90 minute version last night and in my opinion it is essential viewing, an integral part of the man's history. You are right in suggesting that EC was surprisingly open throughout the making of this, the comments at the end about his father with Elvis struggling to express his feelings regarding his dad's passing were very touching. I don't necessarily agree with some of the suggestions on here that his personal life was not discussed more thoroughly. I dare say Elvis would have not have wished for such things to be aired in the first place, and personally believe that those sort of stories are better served either by the "daily rags" as Costello himself once called them or some of the spicier biographies that currently exist on the market. Enjoyed the contributions from the interviewees, though was it just me who thought that Macca's "praise" was low key? "He was good on the old words I must say" being about as good as it got! Anyway, thanks again. Who will be the next artist to come under your microscope I wonder? Joni perhaps? How about something on one of the most startlingly under-rated British artists of her generation, Sandy Denny?

DE
Markkidel

Post by Markkidel »

There are about 8 hours of interview with EC...he is a great talker. But no plans for anything else. For now. The rushes will be safely backed up.
I agree, the 60 version rushes pas too fast, which is why I was pleased the BBC finally agreed to show the full film. Having said that, a lot of people watched the 60' only and found it fascinating. It does have some great moments!
It should also be said that these films are very much a team effort. The people around EC are all devoted to him because he is such a generous person himself, so they wanted to help (form people in his immediate circle through to the various musicians you see playing in the film who were all incredibly easy about us using material to which they have the rights). But also the people I work with: Andrew Findlay the editor (with whom I have done films about Boy George, Ravi Shankar, Tricky, Robert Wyatt, to just name a few). Not an Elvis fan at the outset, but an artist who throws himself wholeheartedly into the work and follows thorough until everything is as right as we can make it in the time. Fiona Mackenzie, production manager, who had to deal with the 500% nightmare of music clearances. If you haven't sailed those shark-infested waters, then you don't know how much the work can devour you...She has been great too. And our French partners, not least Cat Grel who was Fiona's opposite number in Paris. International co-productions require a little diplomacy like anything else cross-channel and they managed it - mostly - with loads if good humour.
Someone asked me today if why I hadn't interviewed Burt Bacharach. I think it was partly because he seemed inaccessible, and maybe I should have tried. The person I regret not having interviewed was Robert Wyatt, as when we talked about the film on the phone, he was incredibly eloquent, in a way that only Robert can be, straight from the heart: "Just think about it, the fact that Burt agreed to work with at all. And that he accepted that EC should propose melodies, when that was Burt's thing". It's worth pondering on that statement from Mark Ellen in the film - crucial I think - about EC not being perceived as a threat and that's why all these mega talents are more than happy to work with him. That's a rare quality in an artist, I know that from having made films about a few.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I was struck by the similarity between the young Ross and Elvis, and the similarity between the dancing in If I Had a Hammer and I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down. Great stuff!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks Mike for being so generous with your time in keeping us informed etc.
I don't necessarily agree with some of the suggestions on here that his personal life was not discussed more thoroughly.
A few days thinking about the film has made me realise that it's primary emphasis is indeed Elvis' music life and that it evokes that in a brilliant way. The viewer is complimented with the assumption that if they want to find out about Elvis' personal life that the information is 'out there' somewhere and they can find it if they want too. They'd quickly find out that it would be way too difficult to encapsulate it in this film and leave room for the music.

For what it's worth , for all kinds of complicated reasons I haven't had a chance to watch the show beyond a late night, tired viewing of it as it aired last weekend. I now have a recording of it and hope to have a more alert viewing of it this weekend.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:A lot of fiddling about with sound recording apps on 'phones and tablets , with a piece of a song used as a example, a piece that features the line ' And the moon is high' , followed by howling sound effects , much hilarity from Elvis.
The song is in fact "Moon Is High".
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Fine piece of work indeed. As EC sez he's had such a full life so far packed with so many different incidents it would be hard to include them all without it all becoming very unwieldy. Marks film does provide a good flavour, and would encourage newcomers to check out ECs work. And, yet again, after seeing Elvis twice this year, after a nearly 10 year gap, it's great to see him so happy & content.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I enjoyed the 90 minute version very much! (Haven't seen the 60 minute one, so can't speak to that one!)

I think the film does a really great job of covering a lot of ground, and I like the fact that it also gives room to moments like the part where EC talks about a friend of his getting hit by a car when he was a teenager-- it's a brief moment in the film, but things like that are interesting and humanizing. The final interview in the studio is revealing both in terms of Costello's personal life and his working methods in the current day, hearing him speak about his father's passing and seeing him working with his iPhone and iPad the way he once worked with a dictaphone.

I agree that there really wouldn't be much room or much to be gained from talking about Costello's marriages-- for one thing, there is the issue of whether his exes would WANT to be discussed in a film (I'd imagine they wouldn't), and Costello likely doesn't want to talk about it, so I can see leaving that out, especially considering that there are so many other more interesting things to talk about, and only 90 minutes to do it.

I'd rather spend a few more minutes with Nick Lowe or Paul McCartney rather than have some perfunctory 3 minutes about Costello's love life. I mean, to be fair, in a longer form than this, there are very relevant aspects of this that relate directly to Costello's musical career-- with his first marriage, the way his early songs disguised his marital troubles and infidelities, and even the way more recent songs have addressed this more honestly. His relationship with Cait O'Riordan includes a fairly significant number of co-written songs, and its beginning and ending are tied to significant albums-- Rum, Sodomy & The Lash and North. But to really get into all that would require more than just a minute or two, if you're going to do more than just check those things off a checklist.

I'd love it if there were some way to eventually see a DVD of this with a significant amount of extra features, like a director & subject commentary track, and as much extra footage as possible of Costello talking.

Mark, was there anything in particular that you wish you hadn't had to cut for time?

Also: what about the possibility of a "soundtrack" album of sorts? I love that the McCartney/Costello demos ("available" for so many years now despite being officially unreleased) are now out there in a legit way, but it'd be great if people were able to actually buy those somehow. (I guess I'm always still holding out hope for a full-on McCartney/Costello album to happens someday...) I had never heard the Sugarcanes version of "Mystery Dance" and loved it, that was a pleasant surprise. Also, it'd be great to hear EC's full demo for "The Moon Is High"!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Well, even after I finally converted the download from kickass, it didn't play properly. Anybody have a line on other places to get the 90 minute version? I sure miss TheBox.bz right about now.

Dave
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Markkidel wrote:There are about 8 hours of interview with EC...he is a great talker. But no plans for anything else. For now. The rushes will be safely backed up.
I agree, the 60 version rushes pas too fast, which is why I was pleased the BBC finally agreed to show the full film. Having said that, a lot of people watched the 60' only and found it fascinating. It does have some great moments!
It should also be said that these films are very much a team effort. The people around EC are all devoted to him because he is such a generous person himself, so they wanted to help (form people in his immediate circle through to the various musicians you see playing in the film who were all incredibly easy about us using material to which they have the rights). But also the people I work with: Andrew Findlay the editor (with whom I have done films about Boy George, Ravi Shankar, Tricky, Robert Wyatt, to just name a few). Not an Elvis fan at the outset, but an artist who throws himself wholeheartedly into the work and follows thorough until everything is as right as we can make it in the time. Fiona Mackenzie, production manager, who had to deal with the 500% nightmare of music clearances. If you haven't sailed those shark-infested waters, then you don't know how much the work can devour you...She has been great too. And our French partners, not least Cat Grel who was Fiona's opposite number in Paris. International co-productions require a little diplomacy like anything else cross-channel and they managed it - mostly - with loads if good humour.
Someone asked me today if why I hadn't interviewed Burt Bacharach. I think it was partly because he seemed inaccessible, and maybe I should have tried. The person I regret not having interviewed was Robert Wyatt, as when we talked about the film on the phone, he was incredibly eloquent, in a way that only Robert can be, straight from the heart: "Just think about it, the fact that Burt agreed to work with at all. And that he accepted that EC should propose melodies, when that was Burt's thing". It's worth pondering on that statement from Mark Ellen in the film - crucial I think - about EC not being perceived as a threat and that's why all these mega talents are more than happy to work with him. That's a rare quality in an artist, I know that from having made films about a few.
Many appreciative thanks for your valued input.

The BBC4 shorter-transmitted video show was jolly good, and am now watching/hearing the c. 88 mins 33 secs extended iPlayer version, which it is rumoured will be shared AUDIO most UK mornings Soulseek allegedly.

C. 19 mins 30 secs - I can't turn it off DEMO.
C. 1hr 19 mins - whilst iPlodding - Moon is high DEMO .

Latter 2 snippets allegedly also most UK mornings Soulseek probably.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Did anyone receive an email from Universal Music today about this doc? Was it just me and my fried brain or did they seem to miss promoting dates/times of the broadcast in the UK and US (when is this going down?). I have no idea what's happening with the US broadcast/release. Whatever, I guess. Sort of lame not to mention it in the email (unless I am a total idiot and didn't see it.)
migdd

Post by migdd »

I also received this e-mail. It was a beautifully designed piece of spam. I would love to see the blu-ray.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

The design was OK. The copy could have explained a bit more about the release in terms of broadcast, online access, etc. I don't have access to the BBC channel via sat and the online version says: "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only".

I guess they should update their DB to segment US from UK fans and then push out the email. Whatever... I guess it's not a big deal. Sort of want to see this, but it looks like I have to wait.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to Nicola Milligan for this still from the documentary
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Belgian TV station "Canvas" has already aired Mystery Dance on Nov 10: http://www.humo.be/tv-tips/262107/muzie ... tery-dance
There were no announcements in the press, so I missed it. :(
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

charliestumpy wrote:
Dr. Luther wrote:
johnfoyle wrote: ...A lot of a demo from that period of a song called 'I Can't Turn It Off' is played....
:shock:

Oh, Man -- I'd like to hear all of that.
I love that song.
San Francisco - 2007-11-08 evening
Yeah -- that's where I first heard it.
I was there.

I'd just really love to hear full demos of all the unreleased songs he played that night.
Great stuff -- will always be dear to me...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Hey folks, please help out a torrent newbie. I have downloaded the 90 minute version but I need a MKV player to watch. Can anyone recommend a free SAFE download for such a thing? Thanks!
Dada

Post by Dada »

pophead2k wrote:Hey folks, please help out a torrent newbie. I have downloaded the 90 minute version but I need a MKV player to watch. Can anyone recommend a free SAFE download for such a thing? Thanks!
Go for VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/index.html

It's open-source, and one of the most popular media players. It "eats" everything. :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chatting with a friend who I run into at gigs today & he made an interesting comment on this documentary. He'd always been indifferent to Elvis' work . This show , however, has helped to , as he puts it, make him 'get him(Elvis)'. What with our , perhaps, over familiarity with Elvis' work it mightn't be as clear to all of us what an astonishing and fascinating range of it encompasses. My friend saw the 60 minute version and had this reaction . It'll be interesting to see if others react the same way.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Dada wrote:
pophead2k wrote:Hey folks, please help out a torrent newbie. I have downloaded the 90 minute version but I need a MKV player to watch. Can anyone recommend a free SAFE download for such a thing? Thanks!
Go for VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/index.html

It's open-source, and one of the most popular media players. It "eats" everything. :wink:
Thank you!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Markkidel wrote:There are about 8 hours of interview with EC...he is a great talker. But no plans for anything else. For now. The rushes will be safely backed up.

Well done Mark excellent piece of work. Thanks for coming on here. About time someone tackled the subject of 'our man'
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Very enjoyable. A 90 minutes that has seen fit to be watched again several times for me.

Of course there were things missed out, you can't please all the people... But it was so good to see something that didn't just lazily concentrate on 77-82. Someone up thread remarked about it helped 'get Elvis'. An acquaintence of mine said similar to me and now doesn't understand why they had never even heard of 'The Delivery Man' before and now (my copy borrowed) is on repeat on their car CD!

Can I also thank Connor for some fantastic links for me to follow and while away many hours!