"Elvis Costello: Mystery Dance" docu.

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: 'a definitive documentary portrait of Elvis', 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

There's a screening of this in Paris today, according to Steve Niece on Facebook. I can't check that any further on my 'phone here on holidays - maybe someone else can.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

According to this page, the film is called "Elvis Costello: Mystery Dance"
http://www.theartsdesk.com/users/markkidel
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The 53 minute version of this is on French tv tonight . Once again I'm restricted to my 'phone - dashing to the airport to fly to Verbals birthday party - so maybe someone else can post a link etc.

It's on ARTE at 22.35
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

It will be aired on Arte France at 22h35 and repeated on Sunday Oct, 6 at 3h45: http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/047569-000/ ... utre-elvis

Costello, l'autre Elvis

Portrait du génial Elvis Costello, une antistar qui, du postpunk au jazz des big bands, du classique à la country et à la soul, n'a cessé de muter en quarante ans de carrière.

Le fait que Costello ait adopté le prénom d'Elvis Presley, dans un geste à la fois ironique et rebelle, comme son refus de jouer tout-à-fait le jeu du showbiz, en font un maître de la métamorphose. Souvent présenté comme un bouffon, il puise dans un large éventail de styles pour créer sa musique. Ses premiers albums étaient truffés de citations des Beatles et des Rolling Stones. Get happy (1980) utilisait des éléments de la Motown, de Stax et d'autres labels soul pour créer un nouveau genre post-punk, bourré d'énergie new wave, mais aussi empreint d'une profonde connaissance des principaux courants musicaux des années 1960. Pour cet artiste doté d'une mémoire musicale extraordinaire, le recours aux citations est tout naturel. En plus de ses principales collaborations avec des auteurs tels que Burt Bacharach, le Brodsky Quartet ou Von Otter, Elvis Costello a écrit plusieurs chansons avec Paul McCartney à partir de la fin des années 1980.
----------------
Google translation:

Costello, the other Elvis

Portrait of the great Elvis Costello, a Antistar which, post-punk to jazz big bands, classical to country and soul, has continued to mutate into forty-year career.

The fact that Costello has adopted the name of Elvis Presley, in a gesture both ironic and rebellious like his refusal to play any game is showbiz, make a master of metamorphosis. Often presented as a buffoon, he draws on a wide range of styles to create his music. His early albums were peppered with quotes from the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Get Happy (1980) used elements of Motown, Stax and other soul labels to create a new post-punk genre, full of new energy wave, but also imbued with a deep knowledge of the major musical trends of the year 1960. For this artist with an extraordinary musical memory, the use of quotes is all natural. In addition to its main collaborations with writers such as Burt Bacharach, the Brodsky Quartet and von Otter, Costello wrote several songs with Paul McCartney from the late 1980s.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: 'a definitive documentary portrait of Elvis', on tv toni

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve Nieve tells Facebook -

It's about my friend Declan, and it reveals a more personal side, and so the title makes sense when you see it. The version I saw is the french version, because this is a co-production between the BBC and Arte and the French title is L'Autre Elvis. That might not be the title on the UK/U.S. version...

I also just got this , via Facebook , from someone who claims to be a 'mate' of Bruce Thomas -

He wasn't approached but was 'warned' by the Beeb.. he doesn't care in the slightest he finds EC to be nothing more than end of pier now, I could say more but..
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I've seen the documentary.

It's not a historical reconstruction of his career. It touches a lot of items throughout his carreer. Mostly Elvis is interviewed and quotes are added from Mark Ellen (journalist), Paul McCartney, Steve Nieve, Nick Lowe, T-Bone Burnett and Allen Toussaint.
Elvis is filmed while he revisits a lot of places from his childhood. The rest of the interviews are filmed in a recording studio.

These subjects are touched:
  • His youth
    His father as a singer
    Stiff
    His succes as a popstar in 1978/1979
    "Get Happy!!"
    His country side step ("Almost Blue")
    The song "Shipbuilding"
    His collaboration with Paul MacCartney
    Recording of "King Of America"
    The classical pianist Alfred Brendel
    The Brodsky Quartet and "The Juliet Letters"
    Allen Toussaint ("The River In Reverse")
    Diana Krall ("North")
    Jesse Winchester (the recording of "Quiet About It" in the period when his father died)
    The Roots
The live footage is mostly know: 20/20, Sugarcanes at Austin City Limits, Brodsky DVD, TRIR documentary, North DVD, Spectacle,...

It is a nice documentary with some touching moments, but there is so much missing. There is also no new live footage to be seen.
This version has the French translation dubbed.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hope it's on the BBC soon. Alfred Brendel's an Elvis fan?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Alfred Brendel's an Elvis fan?
Around the Juliet Letters Elvis went to see a lot of classical concerts. He went many times to see Alfred Brendel in concert.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Well, I think a truly comprehensive Costello documentary would be nearly impossible-- it would have to be a Ken Burns-length miniseries a la The Civil War or Jazz! (Not that that would be unwelcome, but in the scope of a normal doc, there's just too much to cover!)

After all, I got through 40 days of Costello posts and STILL found myself realizing that I had skipped over things!

QUESTION: does anybody have the BBC radio documentary from the early 90s about Costello? I have it on cassette tape somewhere, and I remember it being really fascinating. It's pre-Attractions reunion and has lots of interview segments with Bruce and Pete and Nick Lowe, if I recall correctly. I think this one was in 1992 on BBC Radio One?

I know there was a 2003 BBC radio documentary as well. It would be great if those episodes could somehow be put online for people to hear as this new doc starts to circulate...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

After seeing the documentary again, I must revise my opinion.
It's not a nice documentary, it's a great documentary!
Elvis has provided a lot of personel info and photo's about his youth and his parents.
Mark Kidel has done a great job.
I hope there will be a 90 minute version also.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/Rivers47/status/382098893543989248

Mark Kidel tells me via Twitter -

No date for the UK yet. But probably before Xmas. But only the 60 minute version
cwr

Post by cwr »

Excited about this!

I hope the eventual DVD has plenty of extra footage. Honestly, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't have quite a bit of EC talking that would be of interest but didn't fit into the structure of a documentary-- it would be nice if they put in as much as possible from what they shot. We know he's a talker...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Interesting that none if the professionally shot film from the Birmingham Symphony Hall gig in 2012 was included. I wonder if that footage will ever show up.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie Davies ( photographer, long-time mate of Elvis etc.) tells me , via Facebook -

... someone told me the other day there is a two hour Directors Cut !!!

It should be good, and there are some nice unpublished photos of mine in it. Mark makes great films,

So that live footage may appear yet.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: "Elvis Costello: Mystery Dance" - documentary, 2013

DVD!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Two minute extract/trailer -

http://vimeo.com/76753315
krm

Post by krm »

johnfoyle wrote:Two minute extract/trailer -

very nice
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, great photos and If I Had a Ahmmer in white suit is priceless. Looks like a cross between Elvis and my grandfather. Really would like to have a full version on DVD with some nice extras.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle wrote:Two minute extract/trailer -

That's awesome!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

When will we (in the U.S.) be able to see this? It looks great!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Elvis is the spitting image of his dad.
History History

Post by History History »

I think Ross taught Verbal to dance.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I take it you mean that in a good way...

By the way for the avoidance of doubt, my dancing is awesome and I am only being self-deprecating. I wouldn't want the ladies here getting the wrong impression...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

The clip on vimeo is just fantastic! The early photos of Elvis and, in particular, the video of his Dad performing make this the best thing I have ever seen on the internet.

I might be exaggerating, but not much :D Can't wait for the full lenth versions to appear.
krm

Post by krm »

so we have seen Ross dancing and hitting the bongos. Here is a clip where he sings as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x79yHqf6bI4