Elvis Sings The Beatles

Pretty self-explanatory
History History

Elvis Sings The Beatles

Post by History History »

Elvis has covered so many Beatles songs live, which tracks do you think would make a good studio album - with or without The Imposters.

I'll start with For No One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6iAykoKLog
Last edited by History History on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bil1cat

Re: Elvis Sings The Beatles

Post by bil1cat »

I was hoping at some point in the Revolver tour he would just do the whole Revolver album as a lark.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

bil1cat wrote:I was hoping at some point in the Revolver tour he would just do the whole Revolver album as a lark.
Pete would have gone to town on "Tomorrow Never Knows."
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Please, please, no Yellow Submarine ! :lol:
History History

sulky lad wrote:Please, please, no Yellow Submarine ! :lol:
Not even for Dexter and Frank? :cry:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Maybe he could do a children's album , All together Now and I'd love to hear his version of McCartney's "Mary had A Little Lamb " :shock:
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

The Gentleman wrote:
bil1cat wrote:I was hoping at some point in the Revolver tour he would just do the whole Revolver album as a lark.
Pete would have gone to town on "Tomorrow Never Knows."
:shock:
No kidding.
History History

There is a tendency to think of Elvis doing McCartney ballads and Lennon rockers but I think it would be interesting to cover some of Lennon's early ballads: If I Fell, Ask Me Why, I'll Be Back.

Having said that, Elvis could do a brilliant You Can't Do That.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I'll Be Back is an amazing piece of songwriting.
Particularly in the context of the time period.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

History History wrote:There is a tendency to think of Elvis doing McCartney ballads and Lennon rockers but I think it would be interesting to cover some of Lennon's early ballads: If I Fell, Ask Me Why, I'll Be Back.

Nice call! I love those caustic, early Lennon songs. It's always surprising to find those records, which were so embraced by shrieking teeny-boppers, to so often strike such a jaundiced tone. As for EC covering the Beatles - they'd have to be very cannily-chosen numbers, because frankly I don't think Elvis has the nimble ebullience of that greatest of pop bands...especially McCartney at his peak, who is basically unmatchable for breezy brilliance. But a well-chosen set certainly has the potential to be great fun.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
History History

Poor Deportee wrote:
History History wrote:There is a tendency to think of Elvis doing McCartney ballads and Lennon rockers but I think it would be interesting to cover some of Lennon's early ballads: If I Fell, Ask Me Why, I'll Be Back.

Nice call! I love those caustic, early Lennon songs. It's always surprising to find those records, which were so embraced by shrieking teeny-boppers, to so often strike such a jaundiced tone. As for EC covering the Beatles - they'd have to be very cannily-chosen numbers, because frankly I don't think Elvis has the nimble ebullience of that greatest of pop bands...especially McCartney at his peak, who is basically unmatchable for breezy brilliance. But a well-chosen set certainly has the potential to be great fun.
Absolutely agree. Elvis's performance of Penny Lane, while being great fun, illustrates exactly what you are saying here PD
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Revolution
I Am The Walrus.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

It's easy for me to pictures Elvis' voice on 'Sexy Sadie' and 'You Can't Do That'. I can also imagine a lovely multi-tracked EC version of 'Savoy Truffle' for some reason. And of course 'I Want You' could benefit from Elvis' particular tonality.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

History History wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:

Absolutely agree. Elvis's performance of Penny Lane, while being great fun, illustrates exactly what you are saying here PD
Well chosen. I would love to hear a 'run' at those mid sixties Lennon tunes. It should be a most natural marriage in my mind. I would add Run for Your Life and You're Going to Lose That Girl. Damn the whimsy and give me the grit.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
cwr

Post by cwr »

I think Elvis' studio recordings of "Step Inside Love" and "Hide Your Love Away" are pretty great. The former is an obscurity, but the latter one is about as beloved as any classic Beatles track, and yet EC manages to do a faithful cover that still sounds fresh and fun.

Personally, I think it would be great if he recorded versions of all the songs the Beatles wrote but never recorded-- a Beatles tribute band called Applejam did a CD of these songs called Off The Beatle Track, but I'd be curious to hear what EC would do with them...
History History

Nice call! I love those caustic, early Lennon songs. It's always surprising to find those records, which were so embraced by shrieking teeny-boppers, to so often strike such a jaundiced tone. As for EC covering the Beatles - they'd have to be very cannily-chosen numbers, because frankly I don't think Elvis has the nimble ebullience of that greatest of pop bands...especially McCartney at his peak, who is basically unmatchable for breezy brilliance. But a well-chosen set certainly has the potential to be great fun.[/quote]

Absolutely agree. Elvis's performance of Penny Lane, while being great fun, illustrates exactly what you are saying here PD[/quote]

Well chosen. I would love to hear a 'run' at those mid sixties Lennon tunes. It should be a most natural marriage in my mind. I would add Run for Your Life and You're Going to Lose That Girl. Damn the whimsy and give me the grit.[/quote]

Thanks to Christopher we now have the album title:

Damn The Whimsy And Give Me The Grit - Elvis Costello Sings Songs of The Beatles :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I loved the Attractions version of She's a Woman but I'd love to hear him and the Imposters have a crack at Norwegian Wood.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I feel like "No Reply" would be a natural fit for Elvis and the Imposters.
verbal gymnastics

There's scope somewhere along the line for someone to do an Elvis sings the Beatles CD. There's quite a lot available, particularly with the songs Elvis has sung with Pail McCartney.
woz

Post by woz »

I really enjoyed his version of Girl on the recent tour. It's just a fun little song. The great thing about Beatles songs is that the majority are short so he could easily fill an album with a lot of songs. Gotta love today's technology.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

GIRL was very good indeed. but i MUCH preferred the GREAT & UNDERAPPRECIATED Wings classic LET ME ROLL IT! glad he pulled out it one last time at the last night Beacon for me back in May. hope it gets another crack on the autumn leg.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

cwr wrote:I think Elvis' studio recordings of "Step Inside Love" and "Hide Your Love Away" are pretty great. The former is an obscurity, but the latter one is about as beloved as any classic Beatles track, and yet EC manages to do a faithful cover that still sounds fresh and fun.
I quite agree.

I'd like to see him do almost anything from the Rubber Soul / Revolver era, with "And Your Bird Can Sing" at the top of the pile. Others would be "The Night Before", and "Please, Please, Me"
verbal gymnastics

Funnily enough I'm not a big fan of Elvis' version of And Your Bird Can Sing.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

no VG??? maybe i'm just so happy to see it played live at all. but, the band does it great and naturally Davey's vocals help the cause immensely. i LOVE it!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Looks like Robyn Hitchcock has just done this at two gigs in UK.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2011/0 ... dates-eye/
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed