Elvis plays Istanbul, Nov. 2 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
jardine

Re: Elvis plays Istanbul, Nov. 2 2011

Post by jardine »

deleted
Last edited by jardine on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Why I am suddenly thinking about the movie Sybil right now? Jardine are your rachel? Rachel are you jardine? PS- Don't mess with Letterman. That guy rules! So, he has a weakness for the ladies... Admit though, the guy is funny.
jardine

Post by jardine »

deleted
Last edited by jardine on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

So, will the real Sybil please stand up!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hey Jardine and Rachel - You realize this server is hosted in the United States. If you know what's best for you, you should take your comments to another board and leave Elvis Costello and, most recently, David Letterman out of it. Thanks. I am a US citizen and I will take it to a higher level when I see more posts that may be considered a potential harm to U.S. citizens. Take this as a warning. Take it seriously - Anonymous ... oh wait.. MOJO
rachelhasen

Post by rachelhasen »

Excuse me? What are you threatening me with exactly? I have simply tried to point out that Turkey is a country whose human rights abuses are NOTORIOUS because Elvis' conscience is sensitive to that issue. And even someone like me who does not read this board frequently knows that the person who calls themselves jardine is a regular poster here.

If you are unfamiliar with my David Letterman comment, he has had a death sentence, a "fatwa," put on his head by some mooslum jihadi for making a *joke* about some dead jihadi. It is all over the news. He is now one of many US citizens who have had this "religious?" death sentence declared on them. One woman, Molly Norris, has had to go into the FBI's witness protection program, at her own expense, because the threats were so numerous. She dared to start a Facebook page that asked people to draw moehammy. Apparently it is verboten to draw moehammy, and the penalty is death.
Others, like Ayan Hirsi Ali live with 24-hour body guards. Ayan dared to speak out against the totalitarian political ideology. You cannot criticise pisslam. The penalty for that is, of course, death.

As far as I can tell you are the only person here threatening anyone. I would never even wish any harm on Elvis. In fact, if I were him, I would not only cancel my Turkey show, I wouldn't go to Malmo, Sweden either, as that city is no longer Swedish and riddled with hate crimes, including robery and rape, perpetrated by mooslum immigrants against native Swedes. Follow the news much Mojo? All of Europe is experiencing the joys of pisslamic colonization.

But this is still a free country, so you feel free to do whatever you want. OMG, looks like the US has had another "honor" killing! I gotta listen to this report now! See ya!
jardine

Post by jardine »

delete
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh, yeah, I'm a major threat to society. Let me smoke on that for a while. Sorry, I understand and empathize with the human struggles of the world. I'm down with peace. But, it would be pleasant to just read about EC's music and concert happenings without throwing in a political issue here and there. Again, no threat only love. I don't follow politics or world events anymore. I am stupid American with a severe case of ADD. Maybe we can just focus on the man and his music!
rsternb1

Post by rsternb1 »

Hmm.. OK, whatever you say. I just thought it was about the music and making people happy. Guess I have no clue, once again.
Mojo,

So as not to bother anyone too much, I will just say this once and let you resume your musical discussion. I agree that music is just about making people happy. That being said, why did Elvis cancel his concerts in Israel? I had been an EC fan since early in his career but like Rachel can no longer listen to his voice without hearing the hurtful words he uttered towards Israel (fyi I am a US citizen). Had he not cancelled his concerts in Israel, I would have no problem with him playing in Turkey.

Like it or not, EC made it political and if you want to be a fan of his you will have to deal with it. Hopefully for your sake, he doesn't decide to offend your ethnicity personally. I suppose not being Jewish, it's easy for you to dismiss his boycott of Israel as not really being that big a deal because it doesn't hit home for you, just as I was able to look past his Ray Charles comments many years ago.

PS, my quality of life hasn't suffered too much by not listening to EC music anymore.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

rsternb1 wrote:
Hmm.. OK, whatever you say. I just thought it was about the music and making people happy. Guess I have no clue, once again.
Mojo,

So as not to bother anyone too much, I will just say this once and let you resume your musical discussion. I agree that music is just about making people happy. That being said, why did Elvis cancel his concerts in Israel? I had been an EC fan since early in his career but like Rachel can no longer listen to his voice without hearing the hurtful words he uttered towards Israel (fyi I am a US citizen). Had he not cancelled his concerts in Israel, I would have no problem with him playing in Turkey.

Like it or not, EC made it political and if you want to be a fan of his you will have to deal with it. Hopefully for your sake, he doesn't decide to offend your ethnicity personally. I suppose not being Jewish, it's easy for you to dismiss his boycott of Israel as not really being that big a deal because it doesn't hit home for you, just as I was able to look past his Ray Charles comments many years ago.

PS, my quality of life hasn't suffered too much by not listening to EC music anymore.
I forgot what he said that made it a political issue. What did he say? I'm clueless, and at this very moment, I have nothing to say or really have nothing on my mind... almost brain dead, really. I'm down with Jews by the way. Maybe he will play Israel sometime next year or the following?

As for my quality of life, it has diminished dramatically... that revolver tour wheel is spending way too much time on the east coast.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

rsternb1 wrote: I suppose not being Jewish, it's easy for you to dismiss his boycott of Israel as not really being that big a deal because it doesn't hit home for you, just as I was able to look past his Ray Charles comments many years ago.
I'm Jewish. I couldn't give less of a fuck. Get over it.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Didn't he specifically say he wasn't taking a side on the political issue when he canceled? Even if it was, why would that stop you from listening to his records? It's not like any of his music is anti-Semetic. I know plenty of Jews who have no problem watching LETHAL WEAPON.
rsternb1

Post by rsternb1 »

I suppose evrybody has their own personal convictions. I personally can't get over it nor do I want to. Although he sort of said that he wasn't taking sides, he essentially did take sides by scheduling and then canceling the concerts. Actions speak louder thsn words. It's kind of like that scene in Talladega Nights (remember the Elvis cameo) where Rick Bobby said "With all due respect and I mean with all due respect, Mr Dennit ... I had no idea you had gotten experimental surgery to have your balls removed ..."

Jeremy, you may know plenty of Jews that still watch Lethal Weapon but there are also plenty that will not, myself included. Also, I find music to be a very personal thing, especially considering he was my favorite artist. When I hear his voice I can't separate the music from the man, and the man really pissed me off. Anyway, that's the way I feel, and Platypus, I do give a f..... But hey we live in a part of the world where everyone is entitled to and allowed to express their opinions, your entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine.

On a lighter note since I made the reference above to Talladega Nights, I've seen it way too many times, but in one version, Elvis actually had a line. He said "Ricky Bobby? I heard you were dead." Did anyone else ever see that?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

rsternb1 wrote:I suppose evrybody has their own personal convictions. I personally can't get over it nor do I want to. Although he sort of said that he wasn't taking sides, he essentially did take sides by scheduling and then canceling the concerts. Actions speak louder thsn words. It's kind of like that scene in Talladega Nights (remember the Elvis cameo) where Rick Bobby said "With all due respect and I mean with all due respect, Mr Dennit ... I had no idea you had gotten experimental surgery to have your balls removed ..."

Jeremy, you may know plenty of Jews that still watch Lethal Weapon but there are also plenty that will not, myself included. Also, I find music to be a very personal thing, especially considering he was my favorite artist. When I hear his voice I can't separate the music from the man, and the man really pissed me off. Anyway, that's the way I feel, and Platypus, I do give a f..... But hey we live in a part of the world where everyone is entitled to and allowed to express their opinions, your entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine.

On a lighter note since I made the reference above to Talladega Nights, I've seen it way too many times, but in one version, Elvis actually had a line. He said "Ricky Bobby? I heard you were dead." Did anyone else ever see that?
So, we are left with stretching out of a few movie quotes to express E.C.'s voice? Really, man? His appearance in Talladega Nights was a total cameo. What else do you have against the innocent man who just wants to perform?
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

rsternb1 wrote:Jeremy, you may know plenty of Jews that still watch Lethal Weapon but there are also plenty that will not, myself included
Well that kind of settles this ridiculous argument, doesn't it?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

rsternb1 wrote:.
Are you Rachel in disguise?

Reminds me of the John Cooper Clarke song about Dr Rhodes Boyeson :

You’ve got this slippery quality,
it makes me think of phlegm,
and a dual personality
I hate both of them.

Of course the rest of the song equally applies, if you're curious it's entitled : "T**T"

http://www.cyberspike.com/clarke/twat.html
Yours in fandom

Colin Top Balcony
rsternb1

Post by rsternb1 »

Are you Rachel in disguise?
No I am not Rachel. I'm just a long time former fan who felt betrayed by his favorite artist about a perceived offense that EC committed that hit close to home for me, which I coincidentally found out immediately after returning from my 1st trip to Israel and riding an emotional high as a result.

Canceling concerts in Israel out of "conscience" but then performing in Turkey pisses me off. He's entitled to play or not play wherever he wants and each of us is entitled to not care or to be offended. I'm offended and that's my perogative. You're not and that is yours.

Frankly I expected a more civilized and intelligent discussion on this board but frankly the responses so far are not much better than what you would expect on the Yahoo News message boards. Mojo is admittedly brain dead and his responses do nothing to contradict that statement. You said the guy just wants to make music. If that's so, why would he cancel a sold out concert for anything other than health or logistic reasons? Top Balcony's response was to call me saliva and Platypus just doesn't give a damn other then when is EC coming to South America. Jeremy Dylan is the only person that gave a sensible rebuttal.

Later
A rope leash

neener-neener

Post by A rope leash »

I knew when I clicked on this thread the megaphonies would be all over it.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Intelligent discussion? You are the one quoting Talladega Nights. - still brain dead. Just had a Spuds beer. Life is good. MOJO
rsternb1

Post by rsternb1 »

I knew when I clicked on this thread the megaphonies would be all over it.
Yourself included.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

I'm not all over this thread, you are. Right there with the reply, eh?

You understand what I mean by "megaphonie", don't you?
jardine

Post by jardine »

delete
Last edited by jardine on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

This is not a political forum. No one here wants to debate you. You're annoying, go away.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Typical.
Political discussion is allowed only when the participants have “correct” views.
Simple example from this board (which I love being part of, by the way) - bashing Bush and calling him halfwit was not a rare thing over here, and I can hardly recall anyone telling those who did this “you’re annoying, go away”.
On the other hand, when Nobel Peace Prize laureate deploys more troops overseas than Bush ever did, then suddenly most everyone goes silent about this.
Orwellian doublethink world indeed.

Rachel and rsternb1 seem to me to be genuinely hurt by Elvis’ cancellation of concerts in Israel and – unless the administrator of this site decides otherwise –they have perfect right to express their opinion over here, especially when their arguments are well–founded.

Having said all of the above, I don’t think I could stop listening to a musician (or watching his/her movies) for their views or controversial actions they take. This would mean I have to stop listening to most music and watching most films. Let’s be honest, those people spend too much time giving interviews, posing for photo sessions, taking parts in celeb meetings, and –admittedly - touring, writing songs and shooting films, to find time, patience and willingness to probe certain things deeper than what’s being superficially presented in most media or what’s being generally acceptable or fashionable in the world of show-business (see Bush vs Obama).
Either that or some of them are morons, see one of my favourite actors, Johnny Depp wearing a t-shirt with a well-known murderer, Mr Che Guevara.

Sorry for this post being a bit chaotic, and for any language mistakes.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

IP- you could not have stated it better. No need to apoligize for your English. Your message comes through clearly. The name calling is shameful. I think we are better than that.

Politics is and has always been a part of discussions on this site as far as I can tell from past threads. Rachel and rsternb1 are clearly hurt by the seeming contradiction in not playing in one country and playing in another, given the 'politics' involved in each decision. I just would like to see the conversation kept to a civil discussion, minus the vitriol and name calling. I think it is an important conversation to have.

To make a blanket statement that this site is not about politics, amongst many things, is disturbing to me. One only need recall the numerous past thread discussions about songs like "Sleep of the Just" or any other of EC's more politically overt songs to know how wrong such thinking is on this subject.

I would hope we can do better than name calling and denigrating and mocking. To continue in that vane would be a discredit to the complicated[and human]and 'politically'alert artist[again only need to refer to the most recent example of this with his charged title song off his most recent album] who brings us together on this site.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'