Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Elvis and the Imposters, Indianapolis, IN, Sep. 26, 2011

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.livenation.com/event/05004704CCDDA0FF

Murat Theatre at Old National Centre
Indianapolis, IN
Mon, Sep 26, 2011 07:30 PM

Presale at Artist Arena starts Monday, August 8.
FAVEHOUR

Re: Elvis and the Imposters, Indianapolis, IN, Sep. 26, 2011

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Nice venue, saw him there with Steve in 99.

Dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going to this?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hope someone we know will be there!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

from twitter:
317lindquist Dave Lindquist
First spinning-wheel pick at Elvis Costello show is "Stella Hurt."
And No Coffee Table

Sorry I'm late…

ThomAtHome seems to have live-tweeted most of the setlist:
Radio Radio
Wheel spin 1: Stella Hurt
Wheel Spin 2: You Bowed Down > Shabby Doll
Wheel spin 3: "Happy" jackpot: I Can't Stand Up (for falling down) > ??? > Secondary Modern > Watch Your Step
Wheel spin 4: "King's Ransom" jackpot: King of America
"King's Ransom" jackpot continued: Stations Of The Cross
"King's Ransom" jackpot continued: American Without Tears
"King's Ransom" jackpot continued: National Ransom
What's So Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?
Elvis solo acoustic: A Slow Drag With Josephine > Veronica!
Songs of Sneer: The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes > Purple Rain (Prince) > Pump It Up
"Time" jackpot: Strict Time > Man Out Of Time > (Baby, You're) Out Of Time
Quiet About It (Jesse Winchester) > Alison > I Hope
That's it, folks. Show's over. Go home.
And No Coffee Table

Review: Elvis Costello spins the hits
Rock balladeer lets audience help choose his playlist

As much as Elvis Costello’s “Revolver Tour” is an unpredictable celebration of his career, it’s also a nostalgic sampler of 20th-century pop culture.

Costello performed Monday night at the Murat Theatre in Old National Centre, allowing much of the program to be determined by spins on a massive carnival wheel known as he called the “Spectacular Spinning Songbook.”

Selected audience members made it onstage to ensure insure tunes such as “Pump It Up” and “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes” weren’t neglected.
Meanwhile, predetermined elements of the show — from 1960s sci-fi tune “Rise Robots Rise” serving as Costello’s walk-on music to an image of an old TV’s color-test pattern serving as the stage backdrop — hinted that kitsch influenced the singer-songwriter’s formative years.

Fun and irreverence ruled the night, which featured two go-go dancers adding swing to activist anthem “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” and Costello playing his version of Prince’s “Purple Rain.”

Truth be told, Costello’s “Purple Rain” unfolded in blistering and heartfelt fashion. The Englishman who helped spark the explosion of punk and New Wave styles knows greatness can reside in a pop song, and he’s folded literature into dozens of his own compositions.

What can be packed into three minutes of mass-market entertainment?

Genius in the case of “Veronica,” a tale of bittersweet faded glory performed Monday in solo unplugged style.

As the 57-year-old applied smooth vocals to cinematically narrate 1981’s “Watch Your Step,” it became clear rock ’n’ roll got lucky when Costello made the genre his main vocation.

On the topic of luck, the show was blessed to have anniversary couple Melissa(cq/dl) and Kip(cq/dl) spin the songbook. Their efforts yielded the “Happy” jackpot (selections from 1980 album “Get Happy!!”), and the “King’s Ransom” jackpot (songs from the albums “King of America” and “National Ransom”), as well as “Peace, Love and Understanding.”

Keyboard player Steve Nieve(cq/dl) and drummer Pete Thomas(cq/dl) are two more people whose efforts can’t be overlooked.

Nieve swiveled from funhouse organ to regal piano tones throughout the show, while Thomas lit the fuse of rockers “Mystery Dance” and “Uncomplicated.”
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Indianapolis
September 26th, 2011

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook
Stella Hurt - SPIN 1
You Bowed Down - SPIN 2
Shabby Doll - IMPROMPTU
"Happy" Jackpot - SPIN 3
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Secondary Modern
Watch Your Step - IMPROMPTU
"King's Ransom" - Jackpot - SPIN 4
Brilliant Mistake
Stations Of The Cross
American Without Tears
National Ransom
Peace, Love And Understanding - SPIN 5
Interlude
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Veronica
The Hammer Of Songs - Requests
Red Shoes
Purple Rain - IMPROMPTU
Pump It Up
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook
"Time" Jackpot - Napoleon's Choice
Strict Time
Man Out Of Time
Out Of Time
Finale
Quiet About It - Jesse Winchester
Alison
I Hope - Bobby Charles

cool...a new JESSE WINCHESTER cover! and I HOPE i get I HOPE at Wellmont 10-5!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

And Secondary Modern.

And Watch Your Step.

Fabulous!!!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

verbal gymnastics wrote:And Secondary Modern.

And Watch Your Step.

Fabulous!!!
That was my favorite part of the show. He played Secondary Modern right into Watch Your Step without a break, making it a great hunk of glory.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for links to lovely new 'Quiet about it' - I couldn't find it in past few days till seeing your post.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Welcome, Jocko!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

Ypsilanti wrote:Welcome, Jocko!
Thanks. I was looking for some Costello chatter, and I seem to have found it.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

Howdy, folks. I'm new around here, and I realize I'm quite late to this discussion about this particular gig but I was there so I figure this is as good a place as any to start.

This was the first time I've ever seen Elvis in concert—I've been a fan for five or six years now but it's just never worked out for one reason or another. I grew up listening to my dad's favorite music, and Armed Forces was one of his favorite records. I feel I was probably only subjected to some of it as a child because some of the content matter could be considered quite intense for a little one. Alas, here I am today and I was ecstatic to finally get a chance to see the man in concert.

I've been keeping up with the spinning songbook tour ever since I barely missed the May show in Cincinnati, and I was very glad it made its way back around to the region. But in keeping up with the tour, I had a general idea of what to expect in terms of content.

That said, I was floored not only by the performance itself—the level of seemingly effortless showmanship, musicianship and artistry, and all of that goes without saying—but some of the songs I heard just had me in awe.

I kind of expected to hear "Strict Time," as I know that's not a rare tune, but hearing Pete Thomas play that song in person is a totally different experience even after having it loop in my head for years now. But that I got to hear "Watch Your Step?" Are you kidding? I never thought I'd hear that one, especially that night, and it was glorious. It was glorious, really, in the same way that "Secondary Modern" was, and that song was another I had no expectation of hearing on the stage. It was brilliant.

The wheel adds that fun element of surprise—and the almost-inevitable disappointment knowing that there's only a 1-in-40 chance every spin that the song you really want to hear will actually come up—and it certainly adds a bit of spontaneity that you can almost see transmitting from each member of the band to the other three. But to me, a great artist with a catalog as deep as EC's mixes in surprises like "Watch Your Step" and "Secondary Modern" to reward maybe fans that have seen a dozen Costello shows but have never heard one or either of those songs in person.

Since I'm writing this almost an entire month after the show, some (if not most) details have escaped my mind. The Jesse Winchester song he covered by himself, "Quiet About It," stirred me fiercely. It's one of those musical moments that I won't remember what I saw or what I heard, but I will remember for a very long time how I felt standing there listening.

I was lucky enough to, six days after this concert, visit a friend in Nashville and go see Wilco in concert. Coincidentally, Wilco's opening act was Nick Lowe, and he joined the band on stage for a portion of their encore. If there is a band active today that is performing at as high a level as Wilco, I don't know who it is. The only groups I've ever seen even come close to shaping their songs with such epic, utterly musical ebb and flow have been groups with conductors out front. Seeing Wilco perform in such close proximity to finally getting the chance to see Elvis even further emphasized how special Elvis and his band are, and in their own way.

Anyway, I've rambled. I hope to stick around on this message board, and if I do, you all will learn that I'm a rambler. There are reasons, none of which are worth discussing now.

Hopefully it will be the first of many times I get to see the man in concert.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Hi Redsfan!
What a lovely first post! Glad to have you on board!
Look forward to more of your ramblings. :)
Ypsi
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

redsfan720 wrote: I kind of expected to hear "Strict Time," as I know that's not a rare tune, but hearing Pete Thomas play that song in person is a totally different experience even after having it loop in my head for years now.
Totally agree. Watch Pete here. Total concentration, he doesn't even look up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=licLyL8OETk#t=05m40s