Elvis and Imposters, Huntington WV, October 8,2011

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Re: Elvis and Imposters, Huntington WV, October 8,2011

Post by migdd »

6 hour drive. No tickets (need 2). Fantasy!! LOL!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Tickets are still available on Ticketmaster. Or are you looking for tickets below face value?

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/16004 ... orcatid=60

Go go go! We need a representative at the last show of the tour!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

guys....stop!!! ur giving me the itch. but its like eight hours from here i think
migdd

Post by migdd »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Tickets are still available on Ticketmaster. Or are you looking for tickets below face value?

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/16004 ... orcatid=60

Go go go! We need a representative at the last show of the tour!

Crappy seats. I'm sploiled. :lol: :roll:
And No Coffee Table

I can't read much of this, but I see the rare "Aim vs. Model" jackpot has returned.
http://yfrog.com/z/h74koruhj

Twitter:
Omg! Elvis costello singing purple rain?! I'm in looooooove #perfection
Sweet #elviscostello is playing watching the detectives live :D
migdd

Post by migdd »

Looks like this will be the show that got away with little reportage. I should have gone for those seats in row U. :(
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oh well, at least ELVIS official gives us the setlist tomorrow!
And No Coffee Table

Photos: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/bri ... eith-Albee

The accompanying text vaguely resembles a review, but it somehow doesn't actually tell you anything about the show.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Huntington, WV
October 8th, 2011

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

Clubland - Spin 1
This Wheel's On Fire/The River In Reverse/On Your Way Down/I'll Take Care Of You - Spin 2
Alibi - Spin 3
Brilliant Mistake - Spin 4

The Hammer Of Songs

Peace, Love and Understanding
Substitute

"I Can Sing A Rainbow" Jackpot - Napoleon's Choice - Spin 6

Greenshirt
Red Shoes
Purple Rain

Everyday I Write The Book - Spin 7

Watching The Detectives/Help Me - IMPROMPTU

"Happy" Jackpot - Spin 8

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity

"Time" Jackpot - Ms. Valentine's Choice

Strict Time
Out Of Time

Chelsea - IMPROMPTU
"Happy" - Spin 9
Motel Matches
I Want You - Spin 10
Pump It Up - Spin 11

Interlude

A Slow Drag With Josephine
Sweet Dreams - with the Imposters
Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
Cry Cry Cry

Finale

Alison
National Ransom
Pump It Up
jardine

Post by jardine »

can someone fill me in. is this the last show of this round of touring? when exactly do the european dates start?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

2011-10-26 Athens, Greece, Athens Concert Hall - solo Concert
2011-10-28 Belfast, Northern Ireland, Belfast Festival At Queen's - solo Concert tix
2011-10-29 Sligo, Ireland, Knocknarea Arena, Sligo Live Festival - solo Concert tix
2011-10-31 Vienna, Austria, Konzerthaus - solo Concert tix
2011-11-02 Istanbul, Turkey, Turker Inanoglu Maslak Show Center - solo Concert tix
2011-11-03 Bucharest, Romania, Sala Palatului - solo Concert tix
2011-11-04 Prague, Czech Republic, Congress Centre - solo Concert tix
2011-11-07 Berlin, Germany, Tempodrom - solo Concert tix
2011-11-08 Groningen, Netherlands, De Oosterpoort - solo Concert info
2011-11-09 Antwerp, Belgium, Koningin Elisabethzaal - solo Concert tix
2011-11-10 Amsterdam, Netherlands, De Melkweg - solo Concert info
2011-11-12 Oslo, Norway, Rockefeller Music Hall - solo Concert info
2011-11-13 Stockholm, Sweden, Rival - solo Concert -
2011-11-14 Malmö, Sweden, Nöjesteatern - solo Concert tix
2011-11-15 Warsaw, Poland, Palac Kultury i Nauki - Sala Kongresowa -    canceled  solo Concert
2011-11-17 Brussels, Belgium, Cirque Royal - solo Concert tix
2011-11-18 Eindhoven, Netherlands, Eindhoven Airport Zaal - solo Concert tix
2011-11-21 Reykjavik, Iceland, Harpa -
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

From the setlist it looks like Pump it up was played twice.

I wonder if they were 6/8 and the normal versions.

For the European tour it's interesting so far that only Poland is cancelled.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Hello All

I did have the pleasure of going last nite, and it was a very strong show, certaimly befittign of what you would want as a closer for the current leg.

This was part of a performing arts series, so like in west hampton NY, there were many "subscribers"...many likely curious, but not knowing much...and many people certainly up there in age. There was a, however, a very excited and strong contingent of elvis fans---he has never played West Virginia...so those who are fans would need to travel to Columbus, Cinncinati, Kentucky, etc....so they were very excited and glad to have the opportunity---a big deal for many. Elvis seemed very happy to be playing for them, too---they were energetic, but not in the boorish way that abruptly ended the Huntington NY show last week...more just good and fun energy. I expect that he will be back...it seemed a good experience. He did speak about how he and the band were detained for 4 hours by TSA upon flying into Columbus...appears they arrived only 20minutes before hitting the stage.

To a previous post---Pump It Up was played only once---the usual version, to close the show. He did have a few situations where he brought up groups of spinners, and numerous songs were slected, but he was not a lsave to the order or timing of them---one was I Want You, which was not played when spun...rather he held off until he was ready to close the set. Pump It Up was similar---likely once he had already played PL&U, he figured he'd hold this as the closer.

Similar to both the Vibes show and the Newport Folk festival, I felt he was very thoughtful in aspects of the set list in fitting the environment; his playing Sweet Dreams, Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down and Cry, Cry, Cry---which got a great response---were perfect for this part of the country and this audience...and they drank it up. Also, Motel Matches was an inspired choice when the happy jackpot was hit...he could have easily decided a re-spin..but just went with Matches...which i believe was the first time on this tour he played it

This was my first show since the abbreviated one in Huntington Long Island----when he played Josephine here last night and stepped off mic, you could hear a pin drop...what a contrast.

Like many of you who posted, i had to travel to make this show (I am from Boston), and was wondering if it might be a "lesser" performance...last show and all....but I was thrilled with the outcome and very glad to have made the trip. (I couldn't let Huntington NY be my last show on this tour...)

BTW---much scuttlebutt that there will be more spinning songbook shows this spring into summer...
migdd

Post by migdd »

Glad you got to go to this show after your previous experience, History. Thanks for the report!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks History.

From your report then, it appears that this wasn't the actual order of songs played. Or have I misinterpreted what you said?

Has this happened on previous shows?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Apparently this show almost didn't happen in time:

http://www.elviscostello.com/yellow-pre ... travel/233

The Romance of Travel
It says much about how far we’ve traveled from those heady days of flying on Pan-Am, Braniff and Allegeny Airlines, that a curling iron or Alexander Graham Bell’s less attached cousin could be mistaken for a “suspicious object” and cause such a fright.
The Imposters were on their way to hitch a ride to their last engagement of 2011, only to find that upon landing in Columbus, the plane taxied to a remote corner of the airfield and was immediately attended by fire engines and people wearing a variety of uniforms and Hazmat suits.
Now, if you ever happen to be involved in an evacuation such as this, I suspect that being asked to stand for forty minutes, in blazing sun of the mosquito-infested grass at the edge of the tarmac, just two hundred yards from a large metal tube full of petrol is going to be about as much use as being told to “duck and cover” during a nuclear attack.
Fortunately, help was on the way, it just didn’t have a very loud voice or a terribly clear message.
After a short scenic drive and a very nice massage from some uniformed people in rubber gloves, our happy band of travelers was welcomed to Ohio with a generous feast of stale chocolate and warm Dasani water with all the unpleasant water taste taken out.
For the next three and a half hours we got to watch the competing authorities from the airline, the TSA and local law officers, all the way up to FBI, sprang into action like previously-caged panthers.
Several passengers were now reading aloud from their mobile devices. The local news was quoting an airport authority spokesman as stating that the “alert” was over, the runways back open and everything was under control.
So it was never very clear what was to be achieved in holding us in this secure transit lounge, cooled by a faulty air-conditioning unit, most effective in drowning out the low murmur of incoherent explanations and lowering expectations.
The passengers in the vicinity of Row 17 had apparently walked the short distance from being customers to being suspects and were being taken off for questioning in groups of four or five.
People will tell you these are the times in which we live and that it is better to be safe than sorry but that is an awful lot easier to believe when those providing this flimsy, discourteous, sometimes belligerent illusion of security are using common sense and not just checking off the steps of a laminated agenda. In this case it was enough to make you want to grab someone and shake them, although that would probably not be the thing to do in the circumstances.
That those who least need to feel threatened or anxious are those who have just been, or are about to be, catapulted into the sky often seems to get lost.
As the third hour slipped into the fourth, any thought of the band reaching a soundcheck evaporated along with one young woman’s plan to attend a wedding. People missed their connections and a couple of them required medical attention. A few folks even started to get a little testy at being held against their will.
I suspect that if we’d been there another 45 minutes we might have all been painting our faces green and roasting that courtesy can of chicken salad over a roaring campfire of discarded boarding passes, like the kids in Lord Of The Flies.
Then all at once, a law officer with an immaculate coiffure announced that our personal belongings would be arriving along a small conveyor belt.
We made the show in Huntington with twenty minutes to spare.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://thekenyonthrill.wordpress.com/20 ... -her-will/

Courtesy of Audrey White '14: Costello angry at CMH

Kenyon Student, Elvis Costello Held At Columbus Airport After Scare

October 9, 2011

by Leslie Martin

A flight from New York City to Columbus yesterday morning ended with frustration for all on board, including Kenyon student Audrey White ’14, family members of Catherine Dwyer ’14 and Elvis Costello. The passengers of Delta flight 5977 were held at CMH for four and a half hours because authorities mistook a passenger’s phone alarm for a potential bomb. It turned out the phone belonged to Dwyer’s grandfather and was, indeed, not a bomb.

I was lucky enough to sit down with Delta passenger and Kenyon student Audrey White to hear the full story…

White: Basically, there was a bomb scare at the end of the flight. There was a beeping and people thought it was coming from a bag in the overhead bin. When the flight attendant asked whose bag it was, no one claimed it. The beeping continued to get louder and passengers were noticeably frightened. The pilot told us the plane had a mechanical error and that he was going to land the plane away from the gate. But when we landed, the flight attendants just stood there, with the doors of the plane still closed, and wouldn’t tell us what was going on. We ended up sitting on the plane for another 20 minutes without the flight crew answering any of our questions. From the windows of the plane we could see firetrucks, a bomb squad and ambulances waiting for us. When they finally let us off the plane, we had to drop our bags so search dogs could sniff them. All the passengers waited around for 45 minutes, while the authorities did nothing. The bomb squad and FBI did not even go into the plane – they were actually just chatting. We were eventually brought to the airport to be questioned. Every passenger was questioned, which took forever

The Thrill: Did they find out where the beeping was coming from?

White: It turned out it was coming from an elderly man’s cell phone. He forgot to turn it off for the flight and could not hear it going off. Incidentally, that old man was Catherine Dwyer’s grandfather. He’s a really adorable old man and I feel bad for him.

The Thrill: Once they determined what happened, did they let you go?

White:
No, the people handling the situation continued to stand around, not really knowing what to do with the man or the other passengers. In total, we were held in Columbus airport for four and a half hours.

The Thrill: At any point were you frightened for your own safety?

White: Oh yeah, well, I grew up in New York City and experienced 9/11. In addition, I have a terrible fear of flying. I freaked out when they didn’t let us off the plane and didn’t tell us why. But once off the plane, I was just really pissed off.

The Thrill: Was there actually a mechanical error?

White: No, they just didn’t want to incite hysteria.

The Thrill: Were passengers really unruly? A lot of bitching? How about Elvis Costello?

White: Everyone was really mad and everyone did a little bitching. I wouldn’t say there was one person who really made a scene or anything. Elvis actually just kind of laughed if off. But he did have “people” to bitch for him. I think he had a concert in Columbus, why else would he be in Ohio?

The Thrill: How do you feel the situation was dealt with by the authorities?

White: This whole thing was handled horribly by the FBI, the bomb squad, the Columbus Police, and Delta Air Lines. It’s just unbelievable how poorly this was handled.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I love this interview. Classic. It was a cell phone and millions of dollars wasted by the TSA, FBI. Clowns. I dig EC's iPhone or Blackberry accessory. Old school. I wonder if it collapses for easy travel? I'm actually surprised the TSA didn't confiscate it as weapon or something... I have would used it to bang a few TSA heads - half-wits -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB6KFa7-6B4
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

MOJO wrote:I dig EC's iPhone or Blackberry accessory. Old school
The purple color is cool.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

KirsharK

Post by KirsharK »

Wow, my blog! Thanks for posting it here, it led me to find this community!
migdd

Post by migdd »

A big welcome to you, KirsharK! Enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to part 2 of your EC experience. Don't be a stranger!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Facebook reminded me today that five years ago today I posted a link about this show that very nearly didn't happen.