Is the Revolver Tour EC's greatest tour ever?

Pretty self-explanatory
SoulForHire

Is the Revolver Tour EC's greatest tour ever?

Post by SoulForHire »

I was thinking the other day that the Revolver Tour is probably EC's greatest tour ever.

Sure, EC may have been in better voice during prior tours.

Sure, EC and the Attractions may have had more energy in their younger days.

Sure, Bruce may have had a certain "it" that Davey, regardless of how truly great he is, might lack (though you may argue that Davey's has an "it" of his own, but its just different from Bruce's "it)

Regardless, listening to my different recordings through out the years, I think Revolver is HANDS DOWN EC's best tour.

First of all, at this stage in his career, the material EC can drawn from for his setlists is an absolute embarassment of riches, and that does not even include the numerous covers he can draw upon.

I also think EC clearly enjoys playing with Davey, and that enjoyment really comes out in the performance.

Anyway, if you disagree, let me know what tour you think was better, and if you can, cite of a particular recording that proves your case. I would be curious to hear that "evidence" supporting your argument.

For what its worth, I am not sure I can state what my second favorite tour was. They were all so different, reflecting different times and different stages in his career such that they each had their own charm.
The imposter

Re: Is the Revolver Tour EC's greatest tour ever?

Post by The imposter »

Quite possibly.

He's certainly got the (correct/only) band capable of doing it.
krm

Post by krm »

Hmmmmm.... it is easy with all the coverage we can get via youtube, facebook, dime etc. to get an overall picture that was not available until a few years back.
My personal comments to this is that a tour that only have US dates and does not include Sweden, can not be called greatest tour ever.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

It's hard for me to judge, as I haven't attended every EC tour. I've only done three (EC solo Aus 09, EC solo/Canes UK 10 and EC Imps Aus 11). Of those, I'd plump for the European Sugarcanes tour, based on the shows I attended and the recordings of the others that I heard later.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Definitely not my favorite tour. I would save that for the '86 extravaganza with The Confederates and other working configurations. The novelty of this type of show was new, the jokes fresher, the band crackerjack and he was coming off a most brilliant artistic triumph as he reconfigured himself into a 'solo' act with KOA and was clearly energized. His voice was able to handle the work load, as well. The songs that appear on the bonus disc attest to the tightness of that unit. Loved that he made generous usage of the newer material in those shows.

Personal favorite concert is still a wonderful night under the stars at the old Forest Hills tennis stadium in 1982 with Nick Lowe as the opening act. I never tire of thinking back to that night. It was made special by the new material that had appeared that year, IB with GH and Trust being relatively recent additions to the catalog with their glorious new placement within the repertoire.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Nick Lowe opened the F.H. show in 1984; Talk Talk the 1982 F.H. show!!! yet you speak of IB as new; did you get to both Chris??? hence some confusion. TWO LEGENDARY shows! just got to rate the special shows, never mind what tour is best!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Personal favorite concert is still a wonderful night under the stars at the old Forest Hills tennis stadium in 1982 with Nick Lowe as the opening act.

This one?:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1982-08-27
(wiki page says that Talk Talk was the opening act)

I wasn't there, but the bootleg of that show is phenomenal! One of the best audience recordings I've ever heard.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=339229

For those who don't have it and don't torrent, I'll put a link to the FLAC files on the wiki page because you need to own this.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

You are right, BA, memory is suspect as the years advance, and both were special shows for me- both hot nights in August and probably the 82 show more musically memorable with the new IB material but the '84 show was tops. It was quite a bill that night with Nick opening. It may well have been the 'popiest' of his show I've ever attended, as well.
Last edited by Jack of All Parades on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

docinwestchester wrote:
Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Personal favorite concert is still a wonderful night under the stars at the old Forest Hills tennis stadium in 1982 with Nick Lowe as the opening act.
This one?:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 7_New_York
Christopher probably meant August 18, 1984:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 8_New_York
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes he did Earl....as another of the lucky ones to be in that hot ball field both august nights, perhaps doc will do similarly for the 1984, everyone should hear BOTH! EC himself came out and announced "Welcome to the Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" show and he/they DELIEVRED. now, back to 1982, colin mr. blue....you should see MY pictures from this night!! i'll try to scan a few along as i see NO artwork for this GREAT 8-27-82 show at wiki!! both, stellar recordings, NOT by Sony and I. :lol: :lol: :lol:
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:yes he did Earl....as another of the lucky ones to be in that hot ball field both august nights, perhaps doc will do similarly for the 1984, everyone should hear BOTH!
Unfortunately the 1984 bootleg sounds awful. I've been listening to it in the car this week and it's painful. I'll link the FLAC files, but they definitely don't capture the music very well at all.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

docinwestchester wrote:
This one?:

I wasn't there, but the bootleg of that show is phenomenal! One of the best audience recordings I've ever heard.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=339229

For those who don't have it and don't torrent, I'll put a link to the FLAC files on the wiki page because you need to own this.
Thanks. I will download this tonight!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:yes he did Earl....as another of the lucky ones to be in that hot ball field both august nights, perhaps doc will do similarly for the 1984, everyone should hear BOTH!
Unfortunately the 1984 bootleg sounds awful. I've been listening to it in the car this week and it's painful. I'll link the FLAC files, but they definitely don't capture the music very well at all.
did you verify the one in my boxfull is the same??? or had you gotten it FROM me in the first place? just checking...
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:
did you verify the one in my boxfull is the same??? or had you gotten it FROM me in the first place? just checking...
I got it from you. It's back in your box. I'll upload tonight. Maybe there's a better sounding version circulating. Anyone know?
docinwestchester

Forest Hills Tennis Stadium
August 27, 1982

http://www.mediafire.com/?kjcgcw1jkahrv
FLACs

This is one amazing sounding bootleg.
docinwestchester

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1984-08-18

August 18, 1984

http://www.mediafire.com/?rc8exeu63m7h8
FLACs

The audio quality is actually okay. It's just that the 1982 bootleg is so good, this one pales in comparison. Let me know what you think.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

docinwestchester wrote:http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1982-08-27

August 27, 1982

http://www.mediafire.com/?kjcgcw1jkahrv
FLACs

This is one amazing sounding bootleg.
Downloaded the show last night. I must concur. The recording sounds excellent (seems close to a soundboard) and the performance is extremely good.

Thanks for turning me on to this show.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hey doc...are FLACS something easier than torrents to learn????
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:hey doc...are FLACS something easier than torrents to learn????
Yes. They are just a different audio format compared to mp3. Check your email.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The three night residencies in 1986 for the original tour in the UK at the Royalty Theatre were fantastic. The first night promoting Blood & Chocolate, the second night solo and the third night with the wheel which, it has to be remembered, was not only original but was something none of us expected as it was new and we didn't have YouTube etc in them thar days.

Different tours have different meanings. The Attractions shows in 1984 were great for their length but Elvis was shot physically and mentally but for a fan the shows were over 2 and a half hours which was rare for artists then.

If Elvis graces the UK with the wheel next year I'll be in a better position to answer.

The Attractions or The Imposters is a very difficult question to answer and I never thought I'd say that!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pjc1031

Post by pjc1031 »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Definitely not my favorite tour. I would save that for the '86 extravaganza with The Confederates and other working configurations. The novelty of this type of show was new, the jokes fresher, the band crackerjack and he was coming off a most brilliant artistic triumph as he reconfigured himself into a 'solo' act with KOA and was clearly energized. His voice was able to handle the work load, as well. The songs that appear on the bonus disc attest to the tightness of that unit. Loved that he made generous usage of the newer material in those shows.

Personal favorite concert is still a wonderful night under the stars at the old Forest Hills tennis stadium in 1982 with Nick Lowe as the opening act. I never tire of thinking back to that night. It was made special by the new material that had appeared that year, IB with GH and Trust being relatively recent additions to the catalog with their glorious new placement within the repertoire.