The age gap

Pretty self-explanatory
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

37 and still going strong..............
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
katoomba

Post by katoomba »

I can still remember the day when one of my older brothers raced into our house with his copy of My aim is true still hot off the press. It blew the two of us away, my other brother just didn't understand the fuss (still does'nt). I was 11.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

BWAP - we nearly share a birthday! I'm 24 on Sunday.

A night of debauchery and general making a fool of yourself awaits those who care to come along on Saturday night into the heart of scouseland's clubland. Ah, but most of you lot will be at EC's concert. Oh well.
InnocentMan

Post by InnocentMan »

I am in the 37 club as well and getting younger each day 8)
Pov

Post by Pov »

SweetPear wrote:Let me put it this way Laughingcrow.....I was 15 in 1978 when EC came out with his first record.
(Wow, that makes me sound older than if I just would have said I was 40!)
A very young 40, I might add. People are pretty surprised when they find out that I have a 19 yr old. :roll:
Elvis's first record was released in 1977. Does that make you 41? :D

I turned 18 shortly after I went to my first Elvis Costello concert, in 1981, at the Palladium in NYC. A little quick math shows that I'm 40 now.

BTW, if you think you see a lot of old fart-dom at EC concerts, you should try a Bruce Springsteen concert. At 40 I was one of the younger people at the Meadowlands shows, except for the kids brought by their parents.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

sulkygirl wrote:
BlueChair wrote:sulky.. menage a trois?
Hmmm...

Nah, hubby would never go for that.

:lol:
You never know until you ask! Have you asked????
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

30. I'll be 31 in November. I don't feel very old, but I feel older than I did a couple of years ago. My back and knees don't let me do everything I used to be able to do. I teach high school, and I often get confused for a student by new teachers and cafeteria workers.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

37 and feeling it :cry:
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

you're all still kids...try 52, that's definitely older
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

41, but I act immature. My sons are 13 and 10, and they look at me pretty strange sometimes. My friends think I live a double life, being fulltime single dad, combo-ed with this wild EC side.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I'm old as the hills - 46! I could have knocked a few years off and pretended i'm not but it doesnt bother me. Im an old fart and got over it years ago!!

I look forward to being an obnoxious old cow causing havock in whichever old fogeys home they shove me in! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

35 but feeling much older *wheeze*!!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wow, cheers folks. I wasn't worried about being the youngest here (it's a tie between me and you Blue...Im July 4th, whos the youngest?), I think it's pretty cool in fact...it's funny, I was thinking the other day that I don't feel much different from a few years back, but Im now 'sposed to be this hyper-responsible adult type figure.
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

I graduated from High school the year that MAIT came out, but I don't think I heard anything on it until 1978. Now I am all grown up, at 44.

I am impressed that there are some younger people out there on the board. I just assumed that the "crowd" would be older on this board.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Isn't Tokyo Vogue 17 or 18? Tokyo Vogue?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm 12.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

well hell, if we're doing mental age, me too. some days i'm six.

some days i'd like to be three months and just sleep and eat, but i don't have anybody to take care of me, so i forgo that lovely idea.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

26 here...but I've been old since I was 10...
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Re: age ratios in concerts --

A few years back I went to a Ben Folds 5 show and felt very old in my thirties.

A month or two later, I went to see Nick Lowe at the El Rey ("Dig My Mood" tour). My and my friend (a few years younger), felt very, very young! It was surprisingly older than I expected. I thought it would be more like a typical EC crowd, which has been kind of a mix of 20s to early 40s for a long time now, but there were lots of people in their sixties -- fans from before the Brinsley Schwarz days?

Re: Gender ratios. If you think EC shows are rather male dominatined, try going to revival movie sometime. At the Egyptian/American Cinematheque down the street, there is regularly a line in the MEN's room between shows.

This never changes, regardless of movie genre. Even if they're showing, say, musicals or "women's pictures" from the thirties, it's STILL mostly men (though more of them are gay).

Don't know why more women don't go to see old movies, but it makes me very sad. :cry: :cry: :cry:
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I'm 40, feel about 20 and have the sense of humor of a 10-year-old. I got ID'd in a bar about 3 years ago. I admit that it was before my son was born--I have aged apace in the ensuing 2 years!

When I saw EC in concert in July 2002 there was a crowd of gray-haired grannies, and not your youthful-type grannies. Canes and walkers were in evidence. My sister and I figured they thought they were at an Elvis PRESLEY concert. They were not there by show's end....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I'm beginning to feel old at gigs. I remember being 14 when I went to my first EC gig, last year at the gig I didn't feel that young at all. Myself and my pal, fjp, now muse when we're pressed against some nasty crash barrier if it'll be the last time we bother, and maybe we should just sit down the back.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

...on October 13th i´ll be 28.....
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Get this - the other day when we were mucking around my 14 year old son said "Mum you are just like a little girl". I dont know whether to take that as an insult ot compliment! :shock:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

.....and maybe we should just sit down the back.
I've long since been content to sit down the back. Got a nice perch in the back left corner of Whelans tonight, so I was above the crowd and saw The British Sea Power's excellent show in comfort. Great support slot by The Thicks
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

I just turned 17 on Oct 6.

I'm rockin' it... er... youngschool.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?