Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/Imposters, 'Vibes', Bridgeport Ct, 23 July '11

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.jambands.com/news/2011/07/25 ... -the-vibes

2011/07/25

Justin Sachs

(extract)

Saturday’s lineup also boasted performances from Vibes’ two original 1996 headliners, Max Creek and moe. (Max Creek’s set was part of the seminal jamband’s 40th anniversary tour). Meanwhile, first time Vines performers Elvis Costello & The Imposters quickly embraced the festival’s spirit by offering a unique, rock-and-roll set that included “Watching The Detectives” and version of the Bob Dylan/Band collaboration “This Wheel’s On Fire” that dipped into Allen Toussaint’s “On Your Way Down” (Costello has both toured and recorded with Toussaint). Before busting into a version of Grateful Dead’s “It Must Have Been The Roses,” Costello also mentioned that he recently wrote a song with Robert Hunter which he hoped to debut at Vibes before he fell sick earlier in the week. He did, however, dedicate his signature version of Nick Lowe’s “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding” to Vibes’ MC Wavy Gravy.

http://www.soundspike.com/reviews/2613- ... and-smoke/

John Voket

July 25, 2011

(extract)

After the swirling jams and articulate counterpoint of moe. the audience was ready for Elvis Costello who made his way to the front of the stage looking sharp in his vest and jaunty straw hat, launching into a Farfisa-fed "I Hope You're Happy Now." Costello kept things flowing efficiently moving seamlessly from one tune to the next, including crowd pleasers like "Radio, Radio," "Everyday I Write the Book," and an exceptional take on "Watching the Detectives."
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote: launching into a Farfisa-fed "I Hope You're Happy Now."
It's a Hammond organ, right? Steve wouldn't get caught playing rhe "Farfisa beat". That's Jools Holland territory.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I know Dr. Nieve is fond of the Vox Continental Organ in the studio. I'm not sure if it goes on the road with him.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The more I listen too ( and now watch) this show the more I get to dislike the stop/start nature of the 'Spinning shows. Its great that some people have got to get so involved and all that but after seeing how great the ensemble gets as it gets into a groove the more I know which format I prefer.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

it's not like that at all john. it keeps moving. he does enough impromptu numbers throughout the night and prefaces a spun song with a non-wheel song or two often enough. yeah, we all love the wham bam type of EC that gives us six songs in the first fifteen minutes of the night. and hey lookie there, last night he up and dropped the standard five song start-up. this is yet another good sign of how he will not let this show stagnate terribly! even the band is playing more throughout the audience participation portions of the show. last night we got spinning wheel, the imposter, charm school, dancing queen, whole lotta love and more! and don't forget the out of left field, FOUR SONG NATIONAL RANSOM SHOW CLOSER sunday! believe me John...you would want to see three or more shows NO PROBLEM!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Right-o ba! You are , of course , right . Only when I've actually seen a 'Spinning show can I make a proper comparison. Soon - hopefully!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

johnfoyle wrote:Right-o ba! You are , of course , right . Only when I've actually seen a 'Spinning show can I make a proper comparison. Soon - hopefully!
you guys WILL get shows; i know he would NOT deprive the folks like you that have been true to him for all these years this spectacle. i've said it before..."THIS SHOW IS THE CLOSEST THING TO SEEING FRANK ZAPPA IN NEW YORK AT HALLOWEEN!" a VERY HIGH compliment from me. a GREAT rock 'n roll circus!
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

It is hard to watch multiple youtube clips from the Spinning Songbook tour and not be slightly bothered by the start-stop nature of it. And to see the same jokes used show after show. And I will admit that I was worried that I had watched too many clips prior to seeing him in St. Louis. But I wasn't the least bit disappointed. I think it helps the band and Elvis perform the songs much better. A brief rest every 3rd or 4th song can only help. These guys aren't 23 years old anymore and I would rather see them play the final few songs at or near their peak rather than lose some of their sharpness from fatigue. And it could be that I'm getting old -- I enjoy a short respite from the eardrum splitting volume to get some laughs and some audience interaction. It was a great show and "flowed" very well. Never did I feel like time was being wasted or that there was any "filler" moments.
docinwestchester

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:It is hard to watch multiple youtube clips from the Spinning Songbook tour and not be slightly bothered by the start-stop nature of it. And to see the same jokes used show after show. And I will admit that I was worried that I had watched too many clips prior to seeing him in St. Louis. But I wasn't the least bit disappointed. I think it helps the band and Elvis perform the songs much better. A brief rest every 3rd or 4th song can only help. These guys aren't 23 years old anymore and I would rather see them play the final few songs at or near their peak rather than lose some of their sharpness from fatigue. And it could be that I'm getting old -- I enjoy a short respite from the eardrum splitting volume to get some laughs and some audience interaction. It was a great show and "flowed" very well. Never did I feel like time was being wasted or that there was any "filler" moments.
It really does flow. There is very little downtime. It's clear that EC has this down to a science. At the Red Bank show, the last wheel spin was actually done in the middle of a song (Chelsea). If you blinked you missed it. I could have done without singing Happy Birthday (twice!), but that's another story.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

The improved flow is one of the reasons why I like this tour better than the '86 Wheel
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

A second recording of this show popped up this morning on TTD:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=92661

source : AKG 480/ck61 > Bumblebee Miagi II cables > V3 digital > R4 (16/44)
xfer: R4 > audacity > CDWave > flac
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

A second recording of this show popped up this morning on TTD:
thanks Earl might give this a listen!!
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

EarlManchester wrote:A second recording of this show popped up this morning on TTD:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=92661

source : AKG 480/ck61 > Bumblebee Miagi II cables > V3 digital > R4 (16/44)
xfer: R4 > audacity > CDWave > flac
Wow. The first recording sounds so good, but there is a cut in I Hope You're Happy Now. Look forward to hearing this version.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
blureu

Post by blureu »

Please report back on recording #2. Thanks.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

Source 3 now on etree:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=547092

source: Neumann km184> V2> Sony PCM-M10
transfer: microSD> USB> Samplitutde 11 (16/44.1)> cdWave> FLAC
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

EarlManchester wrote:Source 3 now on etree:

Holy crap! Looks like that is going to be another good one.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

I wrote:Source 3 now on etree:

Turns out that was actually source 4.

Source 3, also on etree:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=547041 (16/44)
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=547042 (24/96)

DPA 4011 > V3 Digital > R44 (24/96)
SDHC Card > Sound Forge Pro 10.0 (fades, Normalize) > CD Wav (tracking) > TLH > Flac (level 8)
OTS/DIN/12' ft. high
Tags added in Foobar2000
Taped and Transferred by Brian V.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

it pays to hang with the DEAD HEAD crowd; lots of tapers!!! 8) 8) 8)
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Just finished downloading source 3. Also sounds great.
docinwestchester

SoulForHire wrote:Just finished downloading source 3. Also sounds great.
EDIT: never mind
Last edited by docinwestchester on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

The gimmick that really screwed up with the flow of the show was the one he used on the Spike tour regarding the Seven Deadly Sins. That really ground the show to a halt between songs. I think it was from the lessons learned from the first go around with the wheel and the Spike tour that allowed him to refine the wheel this time around and make things flow so much better. Particularly, the jackpots and multiple spins.

Back to the topic of the various recordings, anyone have an opinion as to which of the 4 sources sounds the best?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »