Anyone here going to this?
queenofthefleapit

Re: Elvis/Imposters, Asheville, NC July 19 '11

Post by queenofthefleapit »

Me!
blureu

Post by blureu »

Hoping to make both Charlotte & Asheville.
queenofthefleapit

Post by queenofthefleapit »

Jazzed for my 2nd Spinning Songbook show tomorrow night!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I can't find much on Twitter, but there's this:
Elvis Costello joined by T-bone Burnett. Now that's a finale
Elvis Costello is simply ROCKIN the Asheville civic center -- his best, new stuff, Rolling Stones, The Who... Wild!
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

And No Coffee Table

Waiting For The End Of The World / I Can Only Give You Everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpDV61jdYBA
Alison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=135WfpUkeqA
blureu

Post by blureu »

Just back from Asheville. What a show. Loss of words other than wow. T Bone for two songs, stage invasions, crowd on its feet for the last hour. Once the set list is posted you will get a sense of how amazing. Asheville audiences are one of the best in the south and tonight was no exception.
And No Coffee Table

This Wheel's On FIre / The River In Reverse / On Your Way Down / I'll Take Care Of You (finally!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKjwvu0pKQ
double spin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Kw2lcTeBY
Waiting For The End Of The World / I Can Only Give You Everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrjdmdClV68
And No Coffee Table

Setlist from official site:

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City

Mystery Dance

Uncomplicated

Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

This Wheel's On Fire/The River In Reverse/On Your Way Down/I'll Take Care Of You/This Wheel's On Fire - SPIN 1

Joker - SPIN 2

Waiting For The End Of The World/I Can Only Give You Everything - IMPROMPTU

I Want You -  SPIN 3

"Joanna" Jackpot - SPIN 4

Talking In The Dark

Bedlam - SPIN 5

Episode Of Blonde - SPIN 6

"Girl" Jackpot - SPIN 7

Girl

This Year's Girl

Spooky Girlfriend

Less Than Zero - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs - Thor's Swing

Pump It Up - "Song Of Sneer"

Interlude

A Slow Drag With Josephine

Sulphur To Sugarcane

The Wild Side Of Life - with T Bone Burnett and The Imposters

Don't Lie To Me - with T Bone Burnett and The Imposters

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

Watching The Detectives/Help Me - IMPROMPTU

"Time" Jackpot - SPIN 8

Strict Time

Man Out Of Time

Out Of Time

Chelsea - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs

Alison - "Ladies Excuse Me"

Finale

Peace, Love And Understanding/Substitute/Peace, Love And Understanding
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Those are great YT clips by rohbear. Looks like he recorded the entire show. I hope he's familiar with torrents, because this would make an excellent DVD.

BTW, has Pete ever worn a hat? Doubt it, but it would be fun for at least one night to see all 4 guys with lids!
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

docinwestchester wrote:Those are great YT clips by rohbear. Looks like he recorded the entire show. I hope he's familiar with torrents, because this would make an excellent DVD.

BTW, has Pete ever worn a hat? Doubt it, but it would be fun for at least one night to see all 4 guys with lids!
I second that hope. Or at least he could send the DVD to someone who is.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

SoulForHire wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:Those are great YT clips by rohbear. Looks like he recorded the entire show. I hope he's familiar with torrents, because this would make an excellent DVD.

I second that hope. Or at least he could send the DVD to someone who is.
And who might that be?

(I already PM'd him with an offer to help)
And No Coffee Table

docinwestchester wrote:BTW, has Pete ever worn a hat? Doubt it, but it would be fun for at least one night to see all 4 guys with lids!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Review: Costello spins gold at Wolfe Auditorium show
5:46 AM, Jul. 20, 2011 |
Written by Tony Kiss

ASHEVILLE — If the music game ever goes sour for Elvis Costello, the singer could probably find a whole new career as a game show host.

Costello morphed into a musical Bob Barker Tuesday night when his Spectacular Spinning Songbook show played Wolfe Auditorium. It was Costello’s first time in Asheville and he gave the crowd plenty to remember.

This was no typical rock show. Costello’s managed a mash-up of vaudeville, cabaret, kitschy 1960s go-go club with more than a touch of “The Price is Right” and “Wheel of Fortune.” Many surprises were packed into a long night of music, including an appearance by T. Bone Burnett late in the show.

Costello has revived the Spinning Songbook concept for this tour. The stage is filled with a multi-colored wheel containing dozens of songs. Some are Costello classics, some are written by others like the Beatles.

Costello did the “come on down” routine at Wolfe, beckoning contestants from their seats, and in some instances, coming off stage to find a player, and bring him or her into the show. Most of the contestants then took a spin on the wheel to determine the next tune by Costello and the Imposters.

Adding to the eclectic vibe was the go-go set – which included a beaded 1960s-like dancing cage and a vintage portable black-and-white TV that flashed with a static pulse.

Costello, looking sharp and usually wearing a fedora, was on his game. Inviting a contestant to take a seat, he allowed that the seats were a gift from “my good friend Rupert Mudoch."

Later: The big wheel had “the power of love," he declared. And there was a warning: “Believe me, the rapture is coming,” he proclaimed.

Musically, the show was all over the place but never slow. The first spin of the wheel yielded “This Wheel’s On Fire.” Then came “I Want You,” “Joanna,” “Episode of Blonde,” “Bedlam” and “Girl.”

Another game gimmick was the “Hammer of Songs,” a sort of strong man routine, in which a contestant pounded a bell-ringing carnival device to determine the next song. That brought “Pump It Up.”

To assure that some of the hits made it into the show, Costello sometimes took the music into his own hands, including such crowd favorites as “Radio Radio,” “Watching the Detectives,” “Chelsea,” “Alison” and “Peace Love and Understanding.”

Still, a few favorites never made it into the show: "Veronia" and "Everyday I Write the Book."

Late in the gig, he brought out his Burnett for a couple of tunes, including “It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels.”

The crowd was into it through the night, jumping to its collective feet again and again. It all made for a memorable musical night.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

The YouTube videos are not too bad. It looked like a great show. T-BONE! Love that guy. And quite the ladies scene during Episode of Blonde. Nice. Of course, I'll be on the east coast right after this tour ends :( . I hope they roll that wheel through California again but, looking at the tour dates, it doesn't look like it will happen.
heatherinasheville

Post by heatherinasheville »

Thanks so much to the person who taped and posted this show! I'm Heather, I was the first 'spinner' of the night (This Wheel's On Fire). I was so excited to find these, have shared them on my FB page, love being able to prove that not only did I make it on stage, but got to dance in the 'cage' too! LOL

This was my second EC show, my first was back in 1989 (or '88) for the Spike tour. I've always wanted to try to see him again, have a large collection of his music, and when I heard he was coming to my 'backyard', I knew I had to be there. Never dreamed that I'd get to meet the man himself though!! Such a great and totally memorable night, definitely my best concert experience ever. :D

Thanks again!

Heather (whose family is still in shock that I actually danced on stage! lol)
Weaverville, NC
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome Heather and well done!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:BTW, has Pete ever worn a hat? Doubt it, but it would be fun for at least one night to see all 4 guys with lids!
dang, JACKSHIT!!!!!!!!!