SHOES WITHOUT HEELS

Pretty self-explanatory
King_of_Spain

SHOES WITHOUT HEELS

Post by King_of_Spain »

THere is some not very well-know song from EC I really adore: I´m talking ´bout Shoes without heels, an extra track from the King of America CD (It also appeared as a single, and in the Out of our idiot collection).

I particularly like the first line of the song: "This love of mine is packed with stepping stone", and the delicious change into the tune that comes after the second chorus (that part which begins "While you’re busy packing underwear and other worthless trinkets..."), a part which is not actually a bridge or a middle eight, but a completely different song inside the song.

I like the way that melody falls (the line "... like they’re
Cigarettes, ’cause you..") and goes up again. I also adore the way EC´s voice trembles singing "...heels.." in the last chorus, and the slide guitar which closes the whole song, reminding us Chris Hillman on some Flying Burrito song...

What dou you like about this tune? Am I the only one who´s mad about it?
"Sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me"
Danny

Post by Danny »

It's a great ballad, and a great vocal from Elvis - although I'd dispute the opening line - I think he sings "This love of mine is like a stepping stone".
King_of_Spain

Post by King_of_Spain »

This is just what I have always understood: "This love of mine is like a stepping stone". It´s much better than the other option.

But -I don´t know why- the official EC page and any other page about EC lyrics quotes it as "packed", which in fact doesn´t make much sense.

(Anyway I am not a english speaking person, so...)
"Sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me"
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I also love this song, KofS. I think it fits in perfectly with the King of America stuff and is a great little country number. Thanks for reminding me, I haven't listened to it in ages.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I believe EC wrote this song for Ricky Skaggs, even personally played it for him, but Ricky just did'nt 'get it' so did'nt cover it. Ricky's loss.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

It's always been one of my favorites from "KOA"...I usually place it on 'repeat' for two or three back-to-back plays, and I agree with you completely, KoS, about the various variations!!

:lol:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."